PDA

View Full Version : Sabina Park Pitch

tpusltn
June 1, 2004, 05:52 PM
As far as I know, Sabina park pitches are bouncy; and WI is likely to stick to their 4 pacers ammunitions againist us.

Replacing players like:

Hannan - No other Test openers at this moment.

Javed Omar - Same as above provided he is not doing as bad as Hannu

M Babu - He just got 4 wkt & batting flopp is compensated for that. So you can't droppe him just like that.

To bring in rana, the team management has to do lot of thinking. Rana could be a genuine resilient tail-ender batting myesro. In case BD has another 2nd innings devastating collupse.

Shubho
June 1, 2004, 07:17 PM
I would definitely pick Rana over Javed Omar for the final test. He can open without problems on a bouncy pitch. At least as well as Gullu can. He's faced down Heath Streak on bouncy pitches in Harare and Bulawayo after all. Get rid of Gullu for the 2nd test. Rana can stick at the wicket as well. Something we're not usually used to from our openers.

Another thing. I think the only players who'll benefit on a bouncy pitch are Lara and possibly Dwayne Smith. Gayle will fall early. He was lucky they were batting on a placid pitch. The rest of the Windians are in no form at all. Now, all we've got to do is pray for our batsmen to get it together, because they sure do have the ability.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Shubho]

sujon
June 1, 2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Shubho
I would definitely pick Rana over Javed Omar for the final test. He can open without problems on a bouncy pitch. At least as well as Gullu can. He's faced down Heath Streak on bouncy pitches in Harare and Bulawayo after all. Get rid of Gullu for the 2nd test. Rana can stick at the wicket as well. Something we're not usually used to from our openers.

Another thing. I think the only players who'll benefit on a bouncy pitch are Lara and possibly Dwayne Smith. Gayle will fall early. He was lucky they were batting on a placid pitch. The rest of the Windians are in no form at all. Now, all we've got to do is pray for our batsmen to get it together, because they sure do have the ability.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Shubho]

come on! without problem! even the most accomplished players face problem when facing the new ball in a bouncy pitch, let go rana. i dont personally like golla in our team, but rana cannot be a replacement for him.

Rubu
June 1, 2004, 11:00 PM
i can't think of many way to put rana in the team. there is actually only A FEW:

hannan - super flop.
Javed - not as flop as hannan but still not worty for bouncy pitch.
faisal - at home, showed good, but better than rana? he missed a good chance. but, i've to say here, rana drops easy catches, whereas faisal is an excellent fielder to save boundaries.
tarek: whats the point of having a pacer for the shake of having one? rana can be better than him, mushfique can open.

yeah, there is only FOUR way to put rana in.

Mujibur
June 2, 2004, 08:12 PM
How many of you are familiar with Sabina Park, the venue of the second test match between the WI and Bangladesh ?

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PICTURES/DB/042001/024793.jpg

Sabina Park, is home to the Kingston Cricket Club, and also the Test Match ground in Jamaica. Located in the capital Kingston, it is set in the driest part of the capital, which is itself in a rain shadow.

Made famous as a fast bouncy track in the 70's, (with the Indians of 76 in particular feeling the wrath of local hero Michael Holding), the pitch in recent years has been slower, with low and variable bounce at times.

Actually, the pitch was recently re-laid and it is now fast bowler friendly.

The West Indies has played 39 test at Sabina. They have won 20 and lost 6---their most recent loss was in March 2004 against England.

Anyone remembers how much England dismissed the WI for in their second inning ?

Anyway, like I mentioned in another thread, I'd be shocked if Bangladesh can make 150 on the fast and bouncy Sabina wicket.

:fanflag:

abhs
June 2, 2004, 08:37 PM
The following link will provide more information on Sabina Park (http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Grounds/30/1780.html).

Interestingly in Test,

Highest team total was 849, scored by Eng against WI

Lowest Team total, 47 was scored by WI against Eng.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by abhs]

Carte Blanche
June 2, 2004, 08:46 PM
Click: More About Sabina Park (Howstat) (http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Grounds/GroundStats.asp?GroundCode=053)

oracle
June 3, 2004, 01:08 AM
Everyone is harping on about how bouncy it is. Remeber that pitches do change and that historical precedents do not live up to reputation. As such, we could end up with a pitch that would,nt werve the windieswell.

Rubu
June 3, 2004, 01:11 AM
i can say that, they will try within every bit of their power to make it as bouncy as possible. but, there is a limit to that. and, the same thing was spoken about st lucia too. we know now what happened. may be u guys are right. but we've to keep in mind that if we are not able to play good because of the pitch, we're not good enough. its part of the game and we've to face it. so, its kind of useless to talk abou the pitch. if we wanna say that we've improved, we've to prove that in every sort of pitch.

Ahmed_B
June 3, 2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Shubho
I would definitely pick Rana over Javed Omar for the final test. He can open without problems on a bouncy pitch.

And doesnt that conclusion come from just one ODI match he played as opener with quite 'Shakey' techniques?
I dont really think opening in a test against good bowling attack is really a 'Mamubari'r Abdar'! ;)

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by crickethorizon]