PDA

View Full Version : Learning new language / skills

mufi_02
June 9, 2020, 10:12 AM
What are some good resources to learn new programming language and skills during this stay at home period?

I recently bought a SQL bootcamp course (from Udemy) and finished it. But I think I need to use it on a regular basis to maintain that level of knowledge otherwise I will forget. Started a Python course last week.

Are these worthwhile?

I don't work in technology sector but figured these are essential tools (like Excel) no matter where you work. So any other suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

NoName
June 9, 2020, 03:43 PM
Depends on what you're going for.

If you're into Webdev then Javascript, Ruby (these could apply to scripting too)
Python/Bash/Perl for scripting
Embedded technologies then go for C/C++.
General purpose/AppDev or OOP then Java, C++ or C#

mufi_02
June 11, 2020, 11:25 AM
looking more like data mining/analytics. being able to manipulate large sets of data to gain insights.

HereWeGo
June 11, 2020, 12:23 PM
Whatever you learn, please ensure that you will constantly use that knowledge. That is the key to learning.

If the programming language is your area of focus, then try to work on a semi-complicated project. It is initially frustrating, but you learn more than trying to blindly follow the lectures.

Finally, there is no point in learning multiple programming languages, If you know the algorithm, it is not hard to figure out the syntax. Important is to read books on data structures and algorithm, sorting mechanism's etc.

NoName
June 14, 2020, 04:14 PM
looking more like data mining/analytics. being able to manipulate large sets of data to gain insights.

From what I have read, R and Python are best for data analysis

Roey Haque
June 14, 2020, 05:47 PM

R would be perfect that. I have worked with very large data sets on R. From what developers tell me, it's easy as well. Though I din't find it easy, being from a non-tech background.

Shingara
June 15, 2020, 08:48 AM
What are some good resources to learn new programming language and skills during this stay at home period?

I recently bought a SQL bootcamp course (from Udemy) and finished it. But I think I need to use it on a regular basis to maintain that level of knowledge otherwise I will forget. Started a Python course last week.

Are these worthwhile?

I don't work in technology sector but figured these are essential tools (like Excel) no matter where you work. So any other suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

No, they are not. You are wasting your time.
End of.

DinRaat.
June 16, 2020, 03:46 AM
Thought I would chime in.

Basically the best way to learn programming is by doing and making something.

So you learned python great....now go build something.

Tigers_eye
June 16, 2020, 11:37 AM
R would be perfect that. I have worked with very large data sets on R. From what developers tell me, it's easy as well. Though I din't find it easy, being from a non-tech background.Thank you, will check out "R".

zman
June 16, 2020, 07:44 PM
Mufi has the correct approach - Python is the better option for a beginner. It's much easier to understand and debug issues. Note that R was developed by statisticians and user friendliness wasn't a key consideration in constructing the syntax and grammar. You can accomplish a lot with a lot less code but you must have a strong foundation in higher math or statistics. Otherwise it'll be a challenge to debug the code and get the expected results. You can find the Bayesian probabilities or do a Monte Carlo simulation with only a few lines of code for instance, but without a thorough understanding of these concepts and how they work it'll be very difficult to get the code to work or know if you're getting the correct results at all. In Python you'll have to write a lot more code but you'll understand the steps much better.

mufi_02
June 17, 2020, 08:55 AM
appreciate the inputs. I just started Python and installed anaconda and jupyter and working on basic math and functional operators now. But hard to keep motivated with so distractions around us.

With so many easy access to online courses these days, I wonder is there any need for traditional college degrees?

Zeeshan
June 17, 2020, 12:13 PM
You really should contact the wizard of data mining: Dr Zed!

Pester him, stalk him, follow him to his home... do whatever it takes to get the foot in the door.

Zeeshan
June 20, 2020, 11:29 PM
Hiring. Easy $50 bucks.

Help Zee out!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pgy81m9Gjs_4LOi8dqq6rSDuNCFWLNAlliJGVo9uFog/edit?usp=sharing

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01b686c766d68e2ac3

Zeeshan
June 20, 2020, 11:34 PM
If anyone worried about payment, I will deposit certain % upfront to your paypal. Or you can work directly there.

Zeeshan
September 3, 2020, 05:02 PM
Memorized a lot of stuffs this quarantine...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCobcf9px8-AfS902VjPnAXQ/featured