PDA

View Full Version : Which district you are from??

TigerFan
June 8, 2004, 02:18 PM
ok guys, lets talk about our-self. Tell us which district of Bangladesh you are from.

My dad is from Rangpur but I was born in to Mymensingh.:P

AsifTheManRahman
June 8, 2004, 02:20 PM
Rangpur? Cool...

My dad was from a part of Rangpur that's now a part of Gaibandha. I was born in Dhaka, and my mom in Chittagong.

reinausagi
June 8, 2004, 03:09 PM
Born in Karachi, citizen of the U.S. Mother from district of Chaman (Afghanistan). Father from Gofforgaon, Mymensing. Married (for 15 years) the most wonderful person from Oak Park, Illinois (Chicago). All this matter nought, as the only important thing is: I consider myself, along with the majority of you: the #1 BD cricket fan. :fanflag:

TigerFan
June 8, 2004, 03:15 PM
Forgot to tell about my mom, she is from Tangail. By the way, my dad was actally born in Kuch Bihar, west Bengal, later settled in Rangpur.:P

suds
June 8, 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by reinausagi
Born in Karachi, citizen of the U.S. Mother from district of Chaman (Afghanistan). Father from Gofforgaon, Mymensing. Married (for 15 years) the most wonderful person from Oak Park, Illinois (Chicago). All this matter nought, as the only important thing is: I consider myself, along with the majority of you: the #1 BD cricket fan. :fanflag:

Then what was the district that you are from? kasampolli?:-/

reinausagi
June 8, 2004, 03:38 PM
I am Gofforgai-ya.

Zobair
June 8, 2004, 03:41 PM
Born in Mymensingh (a la Tiger Fan). Dad from Gofforgao (a la reina apu), Mom from Tangail (a la TigerFan).

suds
June 8, 2004, 03:42 PM
I am Gofforgai-ya.

Right! That was all too lost in 'the greater Kasampolli' (cosmopoli) district :P

Rubu
June 8, 2004, 04:33 PM
here is a sirajganji. lived only couple miles away from Doc Z. dada bari. Tell you what, from that house he can get perfect view of the best girl college of sirajganj, just a block away. I'm a 100% sirajganji as my mon-dad both sirajganji.

suds
June 8, 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
here is a sirajganji. lived only couple miles away from Doc Z. dada bari. Tell you what, from that house he can get perfect view of the best girl college of sirajganj, just a block away. I'm a 100% sirajganji as my mon-dad both sirajganji.

Is there an exclusive girls' college there? My mom is from Saleha school, are you talking about that? My dad is also from the same dist. So 2 + 2 makes me 100% too. But all the posters happen to be from a small region so far. Is it a regional forum, by any chance?:-/

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by suds]

reverse_swing
June 8, 2004, 05:10 PM
Born in UK but brought up in BD before settling in UK again. Both of my parents are originally from Manikgonj.

Navarene
June 8, 2004, 05:43 PM
Interesting stat...mom Afghani, dad Mymensingha and you, a citizen of the US of America. Seems like a multi racial culture's creeping in your blood:)

Just on a second thought, you appeared to be more attached with "Bangladesh" than that of Afghanistan. A patriarchal influence/dominance?

AsifTheManRahman
June 8, 2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Navarene
Interesting stat...mom Afghani, dad Mymensingha and you, a citizen of the US of America. Seems like a multi racial culture's creeping in your blood:)

Just on a second thought, you appeared to be more attached with "Bangladesh" than that of Afghanistan. A patriarchal influence/dominance?

she was also born in pakistan...so she's pakistani/afghani/bangladeshi/american...cool!

Nasif
June 8, 2004, 05:53 PM
Mother and father both from Gazipur. I was born in Mymensingh. Was in Japan in early childhood, then Dhaka, then Mymensingh, then Tangail (Mirzapur Cadet College), then in New York. Long story :D

crickipagol
June 8, 2004, 11:08 PM
From Bogra, and that even 100% Bogra. Lived few years in Rajshahi, Dhaka, and then few more in USA. And now stuck here in Saudi Arabia. Waiting for completing the circle.:-/

Mridul
June 8, 2004, 11:41 PM
My dad is from greater Mymensingh (Netrokona).....mom from Bikarmpur.....but i was born in Libya (tripoli)....spent more than a decade....then Bangladesh...did my SSC there....now in Canada almost 3 years.....not citizen yet though

mahbubH
June 9, 2004, 12:59 AM
my parents are from Bogra. Lived different places (at least 3 years) like Rajshahi/Pabna/Natore/Naogaon/Dhaka ....
:lol:

Shubho
June 9, 2004, 01:34 PM
Dad's from Chandpur/Comilla, mom's family hails from Chandpur too, but the Meghna swallowed their home way back in the 50s, so I guess she's just homeless. I was born in Vienna, spent 5 years in London, am now in Montreal, but there's no place like Madertek and Bashabo in Dhaka. Oh, the lovely filth of the city.

Tehsin
June 9, 2004, 11:31 PM
Khash Chatgaiya from both my parents side. Pretty much lived my whole life in the house I was born in except for 6 months in UK (I was only 6 months old at that time). Moved to US about 8 years ago and haven't gone back. The only 'Resident Alien' in my family (rest are citizen's). :)

Went to school in St Placids high in Chittagong which is a stone's throw away from (the all girls) St Scholastica. By the way, St Placids used to have (don't know if they do now) the best Basketball team in BD. I remember the one year we lost to a school from Dhaka, the Dhaka players looked like they were mostly 'dui phowar baap' (Dui cheler baba - i.e. much much older).

Shubho
June 10, 2004, 01:59 AM
ogo a(n)ra satgaya nawzoan
doijjar khulot boshot khori
shina di tekhai zor tuaan

naw sinodeh, zoaaray dium!

abhs
June 10, 2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Shubho

naw sinodeh, zoaaray dium!

Eta kun Vasha? (Satgaya?, Chittagong?).

Translate please!

Nasif
June 10, 2004, 02:28 AM
I don't know chatgaiya, but I can infer the following:

Oh apnara chottogramer jubok
doroja khule baash kori
buk diye thekai jhor tufan

(not sure about the last line probably:)

nouka ...., joare dibo

chinaman
June 10, 2004, 02:51 AM
Keetaba, eeno kuuno sylheti naai neeba?

[Edited on 6-10-2004 by chinaman]

AsifTheManRahman
June 10, 2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tehsin
Khash Chatgaiya from both my parents side. Pretty much lived my whole life in the house I was born in except for 6 months in UK (I was only 6 months old at that time). Moved to US about 8 years ago and haven't gone back. The only 'Resident Alien' in my family (rest are citizen's). :)

Went to school in St Placids high in Chittagong which is a stone's throw away from (the all girls) St Scholastica. By the way, St Placids used to have (don't know if they do now) the best Basketball team in BD. I remember the one year we lost to a school from Dhaka, the Dhaka players looked like they were mostly 'dui phowar baap' (Dui cheler baba - i.e. much much older).

aare aanne satgaiya ni? ok my chatgaiya sucks but since my mom's from chittagong i get to hear that a lot...:D

not from my mom of course, but from other relatives...:D

BushidoTiger
June 10, 2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by nasif
I don't know chatgaiya, but I can infer the following:

doroja khule baash kori
buk diye thekai jhor tufan

(not sure about the last line probably:)

nouka ...., joare dibo

- Quite impressive for someone who doesn't profess to know chatgaiya..but 'a(n)ra' - pronunciation is similar to a combo of French 'un', then 'ra', means 'Amora' or 'We're' instead of 'Apnara'.

btw, I was born, bred (I think) and grew up in Agrabad area of beautiful Chatgaon. Parents are Noakhaillya (Japanese - an internal joke only others from cosmopolitan Chitg. knows about).
Went to Agrabad Colony High, then to Collegiate back to Agrabad..long story.

(I) Used to think/speak in fluent chatgaiyan - a dialect so far in the left field, just like Sylheti, should might as well be classified as separate languages.

Forgot how to speak it, due to lack of practice. While my Chatgaiya ability declined, my Noakhaillya went up to par, thanks o it being the sole exposure to 'Bengali' I have been having.

fab
June 10, 2004, 07:26 PM
ugh. I can't even understand when people from Sylhet and Chittagong speak shudho bangla let alone their own language. Once I heard someone speaking in either the Barisal or Bogra dialect and I thought they were speaking hindi.. :duh:

Both my parents are from Comilla, apparently the most unaccomplished district (full of tossers and losers) in BD, which sounds about right. I have yet to hear a good thing about it (apart from having the bestest roshmallai in the world) :)

BushidoTiger
June 10, 2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by fab
ugh. I can't even understand when people from Sylhet and Chittagong speak shudho bangla let alone their own language. Once I heard someone speaking in either the Barisal or Bogra dialect and I thought they were speaking hindi.. :duh:

Both my parents are from Comilla, apparently the most unaccomplished district (full of tossers and losers) in BD, which sounds about right. I have yet to hear a good thing about it (apart from having the bestest roshmallai in the world) :)

thnx a lot for getting my palates all watery. I'll give my right hand to get my other right hand on a bowl of Rossmalai.

The local deshi stores stabs at duplicating that crown jewel of Bangalee sweet, but fall far short.

Sadly, I never had Rossmalai at Comilla.

Other than going thru millions of time as a transit passanger, the unique occassion when I was at Comilla - too busy bribing the education board officials and their cronies while trying to get my certificates translated in English.

:drool::drool:

AsifTheManRahman
June 10, 2004, 08:36 PM
Comillar Rosomalai...mmmmm....

:drool:

i was especially fascinated when, a few days ago, i learnt that tomato in chatgaiya is "korobaiyun"...how come my nani never uses that?:lol:

BushidoTiger
June 10, 2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
Comillar Rosomalai...mmmmm....

:drool:

i was especially fascinated when, a few days ago, i learnt that tomato in chatgaiya is "korobaiyun"...how come my nani never uses that?:lol:

- Khoro< khoto= sour,
Baiyum(n) < Begun = eggplant (or all other begun like vegies)

so, Tomato = Sour Eggplant...simple..!!
:cool:

[Edited on 6/11/2004 by BushidoTiger]

fab
June 11, 2004, 12:17 AM
so.. what is the proper bangla word for Tomato?

sageX
June 11, 2004, 12:21 AM
Roshmolai.... Roshmolai... Roshmolai....

AsifTheManRahman
June 11, 2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by fab

tomato i guess...:D

suds
June 11, 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by fab

Proper or not, once saw tomato's bangla definition in a kid's wordbook: 'Bileti Begun'!

Flip Master Mick
June 11, 2004, 07:07 PM
another chatgaiya in the house folks...

born in chatgaon... first school was sunbeams in dhaka... then came back to go to the good old St. Placid's High till fifth grade... lived in India, Singapore, Dhaka, England and after that somehow made my way to college in the US... been a New Yorker for 10 years now...

i see tehsin is my alma mater... let's talk brother... i have family spanning three generations who went to that school...

Tehsin
June 13, 2004, 02:21 PM
FMM - finally .. i got someone from placids. My dad also went to placids for a while. I also went to Agrabad commerce college where i had my first close experience with BD politics (AL 'chatra netas/tenas' would come in with trucks and force us to get in and go to protest the 'tyrany' of BNP dring the big meetings - the fun part was trying to get out of college as soon as we got the wind that something was about to happen).

By the way, chatgaiya translation here:

"ogo a(n)ra satgaya nawzoan

naw sinodeh, zoaaray dium!"

O amra CHatgaiya jubok
o amra CHatgaiya jubok
Nodi'r (Doriya anyone?) kul e baash kori
Buk diye thamai Jhor Toofan.

As for 'naw sinodeh, zoaaray dium' - he addd that for effect, it's not part of the song. It means, (naw sinodeh) 'amake' chino nai - (zooray dium) Jobai kore debo. :)

Shubho - oba (read oWa), gola kata beosha ken soler (gola kata bebosha kemon cholche) ?

[Edited on 13-6-2004 by tehsin]

zakir
June 13, 2004, 11:33 PM
In Tangail for Tomato, people use the word "Tomatom" and in Kishoreganj
(of Greater Mymensingh) people use the
word "Bilati Bigun".

Zephaniah
June 14, 2004, 08:03 AM
Born in London, UK but grew up in BD before settling in UK again. Both of my parents are originally from Comilla. I like that part of the world bar poverty, travelled extensively - Bd (60%), India (60%) , Nepal and Bhutan. Jaisalmeer (Rajasthan), Manali (Himachal) and Himalayas still make me nostalgic

shaoun
October 27, 2005, 01:11 AM
hey i seen a poll about how diverse are we in this forumn so i decided to see how diverse are we by district in bangladesh. eventhough some of you may live in other countries but i want to know where are you guys originally from in bangladesh. this is just a poll for fun. please i dont want to start any arguments like we had before.

PoorFan
October 27, 2005, 02:09 AM
Dhaka.

Sorry
October 27, 2005, 06:11 AM
cox'sbazar.

i predict sylhet to be dominant.

Rubu
October 27, 2005, 06:26 AM
Sirajganj. As far as I know only me and Doc. Z is from there.

Banglatiger84
October 27, 2005, 06:32 AM
Dhaka,

my guess is it wil be Dhaka, Sylhet, Chittagong in that order.

Mr-khan
October 27, 2005, 06:48 AM
I m from Dhaka
Father: Dhaka
Mother: Comilla

Edited on, November 4, 2005, 3:16 PM GMT, by Mr-khan.

guy_zin
October 27, 2005, 07:07 AM
chittagong

thebest
October 27, 2005, 07:28 AM
I think it would be dhaka. As most of the people living in Dhaka prefer to say Dhaka though his root in other district. Though I live in Dhaka for 4 yrs before leaving Bangladesh I would call myself a Chittagonian.

guy_zin
October 27, 2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by thebest
I think it would be dhaka. As most of the people living in Dhaka prefer to say Dhaka though his root in other district. Though I live in Dhaka for 4 yrs before leaving Bangladesh I would call myself a Chittagonian.

i dont think its gonna be dhaka...i guess,being the capital folks like us just flocked there for some obvious/various reasons from many corners of the land.but ppls still like to introduce themselves as ,noakhailla,chatgaiya,borishailla,sylotii etcetera( no offence..please ,for adding the khailla ...shailla )

for me, though born & live all my life in dhaka, still like to be called as a chatgaiya as thats the place from where my roots are.

Hatebreed
October 27, 2005, 09:08 AM
Why isn't MYMENSINGH included in the list?!.... it's one of the biggest districts country!... :exclamation:

ANYWAY....my ancestral 'gramer bari' is originally 'Greater Mymensingh' until got divided into other districts in which case it's in now Netrakona and also present Mymensingh. However I was born and brought up at Dhaka...at age 12 I moved to London.... to the Bangladeshis, or should I say 'Sylhetis' here everyone outside Sylhet is a Dhakaiya and treated like an outsider too! :cool2:

Tigers_eye
October 27, 2005, 09:23 AM
Bron in Karachi. (Dad was posted there; before liberation ofcourse) Since 6 month of age lived in Dhaka. Desh'er bari - Greater Khulna. Don't know the current district.

shaoun
October 27, 2005, 11:43 AM
we are pretty mixed in this forumn.

shaoun
October 27, 2005, 11:48 AM
i was wondering how many non sylheti are there in london? if any?

Hatebreed
October 27, 2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by shaoun

what do you mean by 'if any' ?

Fazal
October 27, 2005, 12:53 PM
I doubt any bangladeshi lives in london,Kanawha County, West Virginia. Its a small unincorporated village of population 750 (as per year 1990).

Now if you meant Loudoun county, VA. Then I know quite a few sylheti but mostly non-sylheti Bangladeshis.

Hatebreed
October 27, 2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
I doubt any bangladeshi lives in london,Kanawha County, West Virginia. Its a small unincorporated village of population 750 (as per year 1990).

Now if you meant Loudoun county, VA. Then I know quite a few sylheti but mostly non-sylheti Bangladeshis.

sylhetis are everywhere dude.. just go to any 'indian' cuisine and start talkin in sylheti dialect to any asian-looking member of staff... 'kita bai balani!!' :lol:

Sorry
October 27, 2005, 01:06 PM
90% bangladeshi lives in the UK are sylheti and 90% indian restaurants own by bangladeshi.

bdmoderator
October 27, 2005, 03:45 PM
Pabna.

AsifTheManRahman
October 27, 2005, 03:58 PM
I am from Dhaka --> Centre

Mom: Chittagong ---> South
Daddy Cool: Gaibandha ---> North

Cool variation, eh? Wanna know where my brother's from? lol

Edited on, October 27, 2005, 8:58 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Dawah
October 27, 2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Hatebreed
sylhetis are everywhere dude.. just go to any 'indian' cuisine and start talkin in sylheti dialect to any asian-looking member of staff... 'kita bai balani!!' :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So true!!!!

al Furqaan
October 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
sylhet...maulvi bazaar

altho thats were my dad is from...mom is from comilla, chandpur

i am from USA

:fanflag:

ZunaidH
October 27, 2005, 05:21 PM

I have almost similar combination.

Mom: Bogra
Dad: Chittagong
Myself: Canadian now.

Edited on, October 27, 2005, 10:22 PM GMT, by ZunaidH.

Sorry
October 27, 2005, 05:27 PM

it sounds like you own bangladesh- only west and east to be captured!

m35helal
October 27, 2005, 06:29 PM
I was born in Barisal.

Edited on, October 28, 2005, 3:55 AM GMT, by m35helal.

m35helal
October 27, 2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Hatebreed
Why isn't MYMENSINGH included in the list?!.... it's one of the biggest districts country!... :exclamation:

ANYWAY....my ancestral 'gramer bari' is originally 'Greater Mymensingh' until got divided into other districts in which case it's in now Netrakona and also present Mymensingh. However I was born and brought up at Dhaka...at age 12 I moved to London.... to the Bangladeshis, or should I say 'Sylhetis' here everyone outside Sylhet is a Dhakaiya and treated like an outsider too! :cool2:

Edited on, October 28, 2005, 3:53 AM GMT, by m35helal.

nsd3
October 27, 2005, 07:05 PM
Dhaka is my 'desher bari'.
It looks like there are very less representation from North Bengal. I don't want to invoke any debate or ill feeling here, but, I remember, SSC results would suggest Comilla and Dhaka boards showing high passing rates most of the time with Rajshahi Board being the last. Does it mean that banglacricket forum is mostly frequented by those who hailed from areas showing high passing rate?

shaoun
October 27, 2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by nsd3
Dhaka is my 'desher bari'.
It looks like there are very less representation from North Bengal. I don't want to invoke any debate or ill feeling here, but, I remember, SSC results would suggest Comilla and Dhaka boards showing high passing rates most of the time with Rajshahi Board being the last. Does it mean that banglacricket forum is mostly frequented by those who hailed from areas showing high passing rate?
this year rajshahi board had the highest passing rate i believe it was 60%. dhaka and comilla board did very similar too. but i think rajshahi board had the highest passing rates.

tiger_man
October 28, 2005, 12:11 AM
i am from commilla...but live in antartica.....

now in sydney on leave though....

my dad is from commilla and my mother is from khulna...

my dad was born in British India (british amole) so i guess that makes me a bit of british!

aosaif
October 28, 2005, 01:58 AM
Momma: Feni (was part of Noakali)
Pops: Comilla (we should become independent)
Me: Comilla of course....coz thats where pops comes from.....but parents took me over to papua new guinea when i was 6 months old.....kept visiting bd every 1 or 2 years.....love to be in dhaka with relatives.

Uncle: rox da house! Why uncles are always so cool?

nihi
October 28, 2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Rubu
Sirajganj. As far as I know only me and Doc. Z is from there.

Brewing up an 'elite clique' with the Doc, huh? Take this: going by the name and one post by Kazi about his familiar presence in Kazipur with lungi on and the goatee off, we may route for a same thana (upazilla?) club!

Edited on, October 28, 2005, 3:05 PM GMT, by nihi.

Orpheus
October 28, 2005, 06:47 PM
Chittagong here!!

fat_bob
October 28, 2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by aosaif

Uncle: rox da house! Why uncles are always so cool?

aunts are pretty awesome as well. but yeah, whenever you go back you get treated like royalty!
does anybody else find that they are closer to their khalas and mamas rather than their chachas and fuppis?

zakir
October 28, 2005, 10:55 PM
My home district is B. Baria (Comilla)

Orpheus
October 28, 2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by fat_bob

aunts are pretty awesome as well. but yeah, whenever you go back you get treated like royalty!
does anybody else find that they are closer to their khalas and mamas rather than their chachas and fuppis?

oh YES.. VERY!!! I loathe my relatives from fathers' side (including cousins or whatever) but quiet the opposite for Khalas/mamas and their children.. And there are quiet a lot of them. My grandparents were busy. I have 9 mamas and aunts and each have atleast 3 children......

I just love every single one of those ppl... except some new ones that I dont know of. They are being born everyday and I lost count.

By the way, in 2000 when I went to bd, I mistakenly liked this girl just to find out it was my cousin. I had to do yoga to help myself. that was rough.

it's hard to convince yourself that a girl your age who you haven't seen for 10 years is your cousin :)

yeah i know I am going to hell but whatever.. I will see you all there!! bye

Spitfire_x86
October 29, 2005, 12:15 AM
My "gramer bari" is in Comilla. I was born in Dhaka, and lived in Dhaka, Comilla Noakhali, Kishoregonj, Sylhet (for a short time) Mymensingh, Narajangonj district. So I don't have any special feelings for any place. I'd consider myself as plain Bangladeshi :fanflag:

Mueid
October 29, 2005, 11:05 AM
dhakaiya.

aosaif
October 29, 2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Orpheus

oh YES.. VERY!!! I loathe my relatives from fathers' side (including cousins or whatever) but quiet the opposite for Khalas/mamas and their children.. And there are quiet a lot of them. My grandparents were busy. I have 9 mamas and aunts and each have atleast 3 children......

I just love every single one of those ppl... except some new ones that I dont know of. They are being born everyday and I lost count.

Yeh i prefer relatives on my mom's side, probly coz realtives on my dad's side all act like gramer lokh and all of them seem scared of my dad; whereas on my mom's side, more modern i guess, so i get along with them much much better. They actually WANT to have fun once in a while. They are also richer, but I don't think that's why I like them better.

Not saying its bad to act like gramer lokh, its just not what i'm used to. But definitely love my village, Daud Kandi, in Comilla. Falling asleep on soft lush green grass after drinking loads of coconuts. Admirig the vast open fields of yellow pink violet and other crazy colors clashing violently. Our 70-90 years old houses, built on mud foundations. The pukur! I never bathed in there. The stupid cows, mooooo, the ropes tethering them to the ground, the haystack, the dung here and ther waiting to be colleted. The graveyard where my ancestors rest. The masjid, the old school that pops attended, still nuthin but a blackboard, some desks, some pieces of chalk inside a cement brick building of four classrooms. What do you call the pump thingy that pumps up water to the surface? Then in the horizon more coconut trees surrounding neighboring villages. Ah yes, the badminton field. And oh! The narrow winding track leading from our village to the main road. It's a wierd feeling, like when I see these ppl at my village, I don't know them, but somehow I am related to them. I'm wearing my stylish jeans and impressive jacket, and they're all looking at me, i dont know if inquisitively or admiringly. I remember playing cricket, and i was wondering if the bowler might be my cousin, or maybe the wicketkeeper was also my cousin. I dont know, probly never will, but they were very pleased to let me have a bat. OH and back to coconuts! Yes, I wake up because foofa came, placing his comforting 70 year old hand on my shoulder, nudging me awake, "kire shomi, tui kisu khabi? Thor foofo pitha banai-se, ash tui." Those kind eyes i will never forget. \

Heh, sorry, kinda got carried away there.........:)

True, aunts can be really cool, but my aunts are also bit cautious so they're always putting rules on us. Uncles never put rules on me or my cousins. Orphy, don't worry, it happens to all of us. Too many relatives to keep track of.

Orpheus
October 29, 2005, 07:22 PM
They are also richer, but I don't think that's why I like them better.

don't lie to us now.. u know it;s the polao and roasted chicken that makes u fall in love... for me it's quiet the opposite... our family is the poorest one from all! ha!! :( :( maybe except for one.. but whatever. So I am just glad u not my cousin... I wouldn't be able to impress you with my thrift store clothes..... and we eat daal everyday.. I am sick of it!!!

oh by the way, you got your jacket from costco didn't you? yeah ppl usualy get impressed w/ those jackets. :P:P

desi_pride
October 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by banglar_dorbesh
90% bangladeshi lives in the UK are sylheti and 90% indian restaurants own by bangladeshi.

Same here in Montreal about indian restaurants most of them are owned by Bangladeshi. I wonder what would happen if they changed to Bangladeshi cuisine

Edited on, October 30, 2005, 4:13 PM GMT, by desi_pride.

desi_pride
October 29, 2005, 10:56 PM
By the way i'm from Sylhet

Edited on, October 30, 2005, 4:00 AM GMT, by desi_pride.

anthrax
October 30, 2005, 02:52 AM
i m from FENI........:up:

Edited on, November 1, 2005, 6:32 AM GMT, by anthrax.

fat_bob
October 30, 2005, 08:28 AM

Not saying its bad to act like gramer lokh, its just not what i'm used to. But definitely love my village, Daud Kandi, in Comilla.

True, aunts can be really cool, but my aunts are also bit cautious so they're always putting rules on us. Uncles never put rules on me or my cousins. Orphy, don't worry, it happens to all of us. Too many relatives to keep track of.

Hey my desher bari is Daud Kandi too! Is that a big coincidence? I don't know how big the village is.

Haha and Orphy, it's not a sin to like your cousin. It's not even a sin to marry them so it looks like you're going to heaven mate. Sorry to say, I won't see you there

naheyan
October 30, 2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by m35helal
I was born in Barisal.

Edited on, October 28, 2005, 3:55 AM GMT, by m35helal.

Ami chara ayhane aro deshi polapaine ase dehi......
o monu tomago bari komme barishalee'e?
Mor bariyo barishal

aosaif
October 30, 2005, 11:28 PM

Not saying its bad to act like gramer lokh, its just not what i'm used to. But definitely love my village, Daud Kandi, in Comilla.

Hey my desher bari is Daud Kandi too! Is that a big coincidence? I don't know how big the village is.

Haha and Orphy, it's not a sin to like your cousin. It's not even a sin to marry them so it looks like you're going to heaven mate. Sorry to say, I won't see you there

Haha! Wow. This is so so cool. I bet we're related! Ask your parents if they ever knew a naughty but smart boy called "joy miah." That's my dad.

Do you remember anything about our village? Have u ever been there? Where do you live now?

fat_bob
October 31, 2005, 06:14 AM

Haha! Wow. This is so so cool. I bet we're related! Ask your parents if they ever knew a naughty but smart boy called "joy miah." That's my dad.

Do you remember anything about our village? Have u ever been there? Where do you live now?

I will ask about that! Yeah I remember it quite well though the last time I went there was in 2001 for like an hour and I was 13 at the time. Before that, God knows when, probably 1994 or something. Mostly I remember thegraveyard section, and of course all the pukurs you mentioned (Ammu amake namte dey nai because of all the cow fat in them, like you mentioned also!) And all the trees - the ones with the borois. Also, do you know of a supposedly haunted house? It is quite a beautiful place, my sister Fab knows more about it than I do, you can ask her if we're from the same part. We live in Brisbane now.

DJ Sahastra
October 31, 2005, 06:22 AM
My district doesn't find a place in the poll list. This is an insult.

May the poster be cursed :mad::E

Pabna can never be "others". May the wrath of Pagla Baba spell doom on all those who participated in this poll. :mad:

Tigers_eye
October 31, 2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by naheyan
Ami chara ayhane aro deshi polapaine ase dehi......
o monu tomago bari komme barishalee'e?
Mor bariyo barishal
".. Mor dada chokidar, Morey Cheno??"
In my early childhood, I spent an enitre month (summer vacation) with my boro chacha's family at barisal. he was the chairman of the Doc-yard. I had the best time of my life. Since then my tone changed and even now everyone who speaks with me thinks I am from barisal.

Tigers_eye
October 31, 2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra

Pabna can never be "others". May the wrath of Pagla Baba spell doom on all those who participated in this poll. :mad:

Mental hospital'er gate kay khulsay??

Tigers_eye
October 31, 2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Orpheus
By the way, in 2000 when I went to bd, I mistakenly liked this girl just to find out it was my cousin. I had to do yoga to help myself. that was rough.

it's hard to convince yourself that a girl your age who you haven't seen for 10 years is your cousin :)

yeah i know I am going to hell but whatever.. I will see you all there!! bye

Nothing wrong to like a cousin or even to marry one (as long as it's opposite sex). Just don't do anything before the marriage. Temptation...chain it.

tiger_man
November 4, 2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
My "gramer bari" is in Comilla. I was born in Dhaka, and lived in dhaka

hey...me 2...but now in sydney and sumtimes in antartica....

my dad is from moulovi para...he went to comilla victoria college....my brother in law, my uncle is from comilla too....and same uni aswell...

i wonder if u know the big square pool in moulovipara...my grandma's (dad's side ofcourse) house is there too....

Banglatiger84
November 4, 2005, 08:30 AM
I am surprised at the large number of Comillaites here, and the few from Sylhet.
I put down my district as Dhaka as thats where we live, but my ancestors from my dads side were from Comilla, while my moms side was from West Bengal

Beamer
November 4, 2005, 03:53 PM
Rajshahi here...

Grew up and lived in Dhaka all my life. Both parents are however from Rajshahi. Their pops and moms are from West Bengal, a calamity of the partition. I guess, they are your typical "ghoti's..

Spitfire_x86
November 4, 2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tiger_man
hey...me 2...but now in sydney and sumtimes in antartica....

my dad is from moulovi para...he went to comilla victoria college....my brother in law, my uncle is from comilla too....and same uni aswell...

i wonder if u know the big square pool in moulovipara...my grandma's (dad's side ofcourse) house is there too....
My gramer bari is not in Comilla town, but I lived in the town for 2 years. I studied my class VI and VII there.

I don't think I ever went to moulovipara. Most of my visited places in the town were around the townhall area.

shaoun
November 6, 2005, 01:20 AM
i am surprised to see so many people from comilla too. in nyc alot of people are from comilla. and the number is increasing day by day. alot of them are very sucessful aswell. there are alot of comilla ppl and alot of shondip (chitagong) also nowakhali people in newyork city. ofcourse alot of sylheti people as well. some people here are from dhaka. but very few from the north bengal. i dont know why people from that region dont go to another country.

shaoun
November 6, 2005, 01:29 AM
i think its good for the economy of bangladesh if people goes to another country and work. economy of sylhet improved because they have a very large number of sylheti living abroad. i m seeing alot of people from other region specially comilla nowakhali region coming abroad rightnow which is very good thing for the economy of these two district. i hope poor districts like kurigram, rangpur etc people will start coming to america and uk aswell. bengali abroad are generally very hard working people and alot of them are doing very well. there are a large number of bengali that goes to columbia university. few even made it to harvard. i am not sure about oxford or cambridge in uk but i m sure they have bengalis there as well. british high comissioner to bangladesh is a bengali. one of this guy from comilla he has his own pharmacutical company here in nyc. also a large number of doctors enginners and lawyers here are bengali. i know there are large number of bengalis in malaysia and saudi arab. european countries also has a large number of bengalis. hopefully the number will increase and help our economy.

Yameen
November 6, 2005, 01:35 PM
dad: dhaka
mum: pabna or sirazgonj, lol cant remember which one...

anyway id say more of a dhakaia cos most of our family is there

BangladeshFan
November 6, 2005, 01:59 PM
i am born and brought up in dhaka, khilga.

father was born in bikrampur(munshigonj), mother in comilla.

so i guess that makes me from dhaka.......

Yameen
November 6, 2005, 02:02 PM
wow, numbers of syhletis quite low! wats goin on man??

Mahir
November 7, 2005, 07:10 PM
Although I was born in Dhaka, but proud to trace my "desher bari" in Barisal's Bakergonj. Both my parents are from there...!

aosaif
November 13, 2005, 09:04 PM

I will ask about that! Yeah I remember it quite well though the last time I went there was in 2001 for like an hour and I was 13 at the time. Before that, God knows when, probably 1994 or something. Mostly I remember thegraveyard section, and of course all the pukurs you mentioned (Ammu amake namte dey nai because of all the cow fat in them, like you mentioned also!) And all the trees - the ones with the borois. Also, do you know of a supposedly haunted house? It is quite a beautiful place, my sister Fab knows more about it than I do, you can ask her if we're from the same part. We live in Brisbane now.

OK, i've made further progress into this investigation.

Now Daud Kandi is a BIG place. My village is called Pepaia Kandi. What's you village's name?

Ahsan
November 13, 2005, 11:12 PM
"apnira kenka achin?"

<a href="http://banglapedia.search.com.bd/Maps/MN_0048.GIF">Naogaon</a> here.

back after a long time. was a silent reader though.

Fazal
November 15, 2005, 03:34 PM
So Dhaka is #1 and Comilla is #2.:clap:

For some reason I thought there is lots of Sylheti brothers....

but looks like.... its all nokol (fake noise).... there is only 4 of them.

Sorry
November 15, 2005, 03:56 PM
it is not practical for sylheti brothers to come here and post as most of the brother's profession are associated with restaurant work which means that they are busy at work now and they will be sleeping during the day. so BC is not that attractive for them as you imagine.

Sovik
July 6, 2006, 12:32 PM
i am from Sirajgonj.

Tigers_eye
July 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
i am Sirajgonj.
Hi Sirajgonj,
Nice to meet you. :) I thought you were Sovik though.

Sovik
July 6, 2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Sirajgonj,
Nice to meet you. :) I thought you were Sovik though.

my bad, missed out "from"

Faceoff
July 6, 2006, 01:05 PM
Annera shobai bala asenni?

sunny747
July 6, 2006, 01:54 PM
chatgaiya..:).....gom asoni?

sadi
July 6, 2006, 02:10 PM
wow, numbers of syhletis quite low! wats goin on man??

just to make you feel better, I am from Sylhet.

Well, I grew up in Dhaka but my parents are from Sylhet. In NYC, I am pretty sure Noakhalis easily outnumber sylhetis.

SMHasan
July 6, 2006, 08:39 PM
From Moulvibazar here. So I am from Sylhet as well.

Frost
July 6, 2006, 11:32 PM
Ai khati Noakhailla:-)

Rabz
July 7, 2006, 01:53 AM
mor bario Borisal
o monura, tomra kemon aso ??
mogo bari aiyo, kachari ghore boshaiya panta bhat khaiyo...

Born--->Khulna
Raised up--->Dhaka, since 8 yrs old

Dad---->Barisal
Mom--->Bagerhat, greater Khulna
My mom's family ( my granma's to be exact) is the direact descendants of the Pir Khan Zahan ALi ( the founder of 60 domes mosque in Bagerhat). All the khadems and ppl who take cares of the mosque are my Mama's and thier family. ( though second string, cuz they are my mom's khalato, mamato bhai).

so i do have a very fond memory of visiting the mosque as a kid, when i got to touch the famous kala Pahar and Dhola Pahar ( the crocodiles) over there...

it was also very good to walk around free without the hassel of ppl asking for money, as they happen in areas like big majar's.

My Dad is from Pirojpur district and our Thana has recently being named Zia Nogor ( lol, not surprised ..ey ?? ) but before it was known as Indurkani ( damn, even worse) gram Balipara...

sabbir ahmad
July 7, 2006, 03:36 AM
ai chatgeia(chittagong) poa:p

gom asi.......one gom ason na

Baundule
July 7, 2006, 04:08 AM
Noakhalya! COme on guys, dont feel shame about it!
Let's be proud to be a Noakhalya.

Miraz
July 7, 2006, 05:28 AM
Mone hoi ami ekmatro from

"Madaripur"

The most beautiful city of Bangladesh:lol:

Born : Faridpur
Schooling : Kushtia, Barisal & Khulna
After that its Dhaka.

abdulw11
July 7, 2006, 06:19 AM
:confused: Where's the poll? I don't see it...

Faceoff
July 7, 2006, 08:34 AM

O anneo nokhailla ni. huni bhalo laiglo.

Orpheus
July 7, 2006, 03:01 PM
be proud of Noakhali? hahahhahahahahahahaha

Tigers_eye
July 7, 2006, 03:17 PM
mor bario Borisal
o monura, tomra kemon aso ??
mogo bari aiyo, kachari ghore boshaiya panta bhat khaiyo...

Born--->Khulna
Raised up--->Dhaka, since 8 yrs old

Dad---->Barisal
Mom--->Bagerhat, greater Khulna

so i do have a very fond memory of visiting the mosque as a kid, when i got to touch the famous kala Pahar and Dhola Pahar ( the crocodiles) over there...

it was also very good to walk around free without the hassel of ppl asking for money, as they happen in areas like big majar's.
Some 30+ years back i remember feeding live chicken to those Kala Pahar and Dhola pahar one time. One chicken ran flew across the lake on the other side. Dang!! Those are some huge crocs. I am not sure why but even in the hot summer, that mosque's pillars inside is cold like ice. I have heard stories (gin stories) on those crocs. What's their age? 400+ years or something.

Omio
July 7, 2006, 04:34 PM
আই নোয়াখালির পোলা, আর থানা- চাটখিল।
আমার ছোটবেলা কেটেছে চিটাগং, আর বড় হয়ে ঢাকায় চলে আসছি।

SMHasan
July 7, 2006, 09:28 PM
আই নোয়াখালির পোলা, আর থানা- চাটখিল।
আমার ছোটবেলা কেটেছে চিটাগং, আর বড় হয়ে ঢাকায় চলে আসছি।

কবে বড় হচ্ছ আর কবে ঢাকায় আসছ? (আর বড় হয়ে ঢাকায় চলে এসেছি হবে, তাই না? ) :)

mhferdaus
July 7, 2006, 10:17 PM

arent you an indian ???

mhferdaus
July 7, 2006, 10:19 PM
ai chatgeia(chittagong) poa:p

gom asi.......one gom ason na

bodda ai chatiga te 7 years silam :D

Omio
July 8, 2006, 05:20 AM
কবে বড় হচ্ছ আর কবে ঢাকায় আসছ? (আর বড় হয়ে ঢাকায় চলে এসেছি হবে, তাই না? ) :)
হাছান ভাই, আপনার খবর আসে, আপনি তউ দেখি একেবারে মাস্টার।

shaoun
July 9, 2006, 12:14 AM
this is an old poll wow i cant believe it came back to the front again.

Rabz
July 11, 2006, 02:07 AM
Some 30+ years back i remember feeding live chicken to those Kala Pahar and Dhola pahar one time. One chicken ran flew across the lake on the other side. Dang!! Those are some huge crocs. I am not sure why but even in the hot summer, that mosque's pillars inside is cold like ice. I have heard stories (gin stories) on those crocs. What's their age? 400+ years or something.

yap, there are few urban legends about those crocs and the majar..
though not quite sure myself how true are they... but i believe them as they are going around for ages and sort of believe on supernatural powers by the great Pirs and Aulias.

as far as i heard fm my mama's...
those two croc's are actually gins. They had some kind of fall out with the great Pir himself and he cursed them and turned them into crocodiles. they are known to be few hundred years old, something around as u mentioned, 400.

but unfortunately, couple of years back, either one or both of them died. now the majar got new crocs from india, but they are not that good . they are aggressive and hv bn known to attack humans recently. ppl arent that enthusiastic anymore to dive on the dighi anymore. kala pahar and dhola pahar were quite passive and very freindly. back in the days, parents would take their kids to the crocs and sit them on top of the crocs to get them cured of diseases n stuff.

shiplu
July 12, 2006, 07:19 PM

too many Noakhali refugees in Sylhet Division, go back where you came from. LOL:D
:flag:

Fazal
July 13, 2006, 01:35 PM
too many Noakhali refugees in Sylhet Division, go back where you came from. LOL:D
:flag:

Why are you going back to Sylhet (from UK) ?

Tigers_eye
July 13, 2006, 02:18 PM
yap, there are few urban legends about those crocs and the majar..
though not quite sure myself how true are they... but i believe them as they are going around for ages and sort of believe on supernatural powers by the great Pirs and Aulias.

as far as i heard fm my mama's...
those two croc's are actually gins. They had some kind of fall out with the great Pir himself and he cursed them and turned them into crocodiles. they are known to be few hundred years old, something around as u mentioned, 400.

but unfortunately, couple of years back, either one or both of them died...
Sorry to hear that the legendary crocs/gins died.

Fazal Bhai,
Here is more info on Gin's existance as a Croc, lol!! More proof beside my sister.

sabbir ahmad
July 15, 2006, 05:12 AM
Dhaka....PoorFan,Banglatiger84,Mr_Khan,AsifTheManR ahman,nsd3,Mueid,Yameen,BangladeshFan
Cox'sbazar.....Sorry
Sirajganj.......Rubu,nihi,sovik
Chittagong........guy-zin,Thebest,Orpheus,sunny747,Sabbir,Zunaidh
Mymensingh........Hatebreed
Pabna.........Bdmoderator,
Sylhet........AlFurqaan,desi_pride,sadi,SMhasan,Sh iplu
Bogra.......ZunaidH
Borisal........m35helal,naheyan,MasterBlaster,Sydn ey,cats-eye
Comilla........tiger_man,aosaif,Zakir,Spitfire_X86 ,Fazal:D ,Shaoun
Feni........anthrax
Daudkandi......fat_bob
Rajshahi.....Beamer
Naogaon......ISmacker
Noakhali....Baundule,Faceoff,Omio,frost
Madaripur.....Miraz

abdulw11,Dawah,Dj Sahastra,mhferdaus???

Omio
July 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
good job sabbir,
ami 3jon desi vai pailam-Baundule,Faceoff,5,frost

Fazal
July 15, 2006, 06:48 PM
Shaoun,Fazal....Sylhet??
abdulw11,Dawah,Dj Sahastra???

I like puri (both kind), sathkora, tea, orange and Lembu. Moreover my ex-girlfiend of childhood was a sylheti. So I am as much a Sylheti as Sahastra is a Pubniyaa.

My parents are from Comilla and Bhairob.:lol:

shaoun
July 15, 2006, 10:19 PM
i am from comilla. born and raised there now live in nyc.

Shafin
July 16, 2006, 07:23 AM
Father-Gazipur
Mother-Chadpur
Born-Dhaka
Lived in Satkania,Potia,Chittagong,Ishwargonj,Now in Dhaka.

thebest
July 16, 2006, 07:25 AM
I wonder why this thread is not dead yet. Is regionalism becoming an issue? I am asking this as some of my sylheti friend complain that they are deprived. Dhaka and other regions are thriving on the natural resouces of sylhet and the money send by the Sylheties from abroad. I am an chittagonian. Sometime even we complain that we produced almost 25% of GDP and we got little of the return. When there is loadshedding, majority of the resident of chittagong complain we produce the major share of electrecity but that is transferred to Dhaka. We are culturally and lingustically so different from rest of Bangladesh. In the 90s I saw poster in Chittagong 'Chottogram Shawadin koro'. It make me uncomfortable and when I saw this kind of thread continue i become afraid.
sorry for my pessimistic view.

Sylheti
November 10, 2006, 08:42 PM
I wonder why this thread is not dead yet. Is regionalism becoming an issue? I am asking this as some of my sylheti friend complain that they are deprived. Dhaka and other regions are thriving on the natural resouces of sylhet and the money send by the Sylheties from abroad.

As a British born Bengali of Sylheti ethnicity, I have sympathy for this common viewpoint amongst Sylhetis living abroad as well as those residing in Greater Sylhet.

It seems that the Bangladeshi govenment is very keen on encouraging Sylheti remmitances and investment within the country but when it comes to central government funding, our region (Greater Sylhet), comes last (if at all) on the list for investment. Especially industrial investment.

At the end of the day, the massive Sylheti diaspora in the UK, US and Canada itself ought to point to the fact that the region is marginalised by the government and that opportunities are hard to come by.

Ahmed_B
November 11, 2006, 03:20 AM
Mr. Sylhety.. you should probably ask those questions about government funding to the Former Finance minister of Bangladesh who himself is from Sylhet and has been the Minister of Finance for the last 10 years.

It's amazing that you dug up this already long-dead thread just for that same issue again!

billah
November 11, 2006, 03:53 AM
A much-needed checklist for "Sylheti":

The "Sylheti" - Actually "Bangladeshi"

The "Sylheti wealth" - Actually "Bangladeshi national wealth", Sylhet CAN NOT put a "Sylheti" stamp on it.

The "Sylheti culture, music, food" - All are "Bangladesh's proud heritage"

The "Sylheti Basha" - Actually "Bangla bhasha"

The "Sylheti prosperity" - Actually "Bangladeshi prosperity"

The "Sylheti achievments" - Actually OUR achievements as Bangladeshis

The "Sylheti contribution" - Not extra special, same as the contributions by other Bangladesh regions.

The "Sylheti remittances" - Oops, it's OUR money. It's that pesky national identity thing that skipped you due to the disadvantages of diaspora upbringing.

The "Sylheti failures" - A shame and sorrow for all of us

You get the idea. Although, you can keep your "shomiti", the rest is actually OURS. Yours and mine. Community property. You, as a Sylheti, have NO special rights, nor do I.

You might want to hang a copy of this list above your bed, lest you get confused about this non-existant Sylheti-Bangladeshi issue. Fickle brains can play a lot of tricks on us, y'know.

SMHasan
November 11, 2006, 10:46 AM
A much-needed checklist for "Sylheti":

The "Sylheti" - Actually "Bangladeshi"

The "Sylheti wealth" - Actually "Bangladeshi national wealth", Sylhet CAN NOT put a "Sylheti" stamp on it.

The "Sylheti culture, music, food" - All are "Bangladesh's proud heritage"

The "Sylheti Basha" - Actually "Bangla bhasha"

The "Sylheti prosperity" - Actually "Bangladeshi prosperity"

The "Sylheti achievments" - Actually OUR achievements as Bangladeshis

The "Sylheti contribution" - Not extra special, same as the contributions by other Bangladesh regions.

The "Sylheti remittances" - Oops, it's OUR money. It's that pesky national identity thing that skipped you due to the disadvantages of diaspora upbringing.

The "Sylheti failures" - A shame and sorrow for all of us

You get the idea. Although, you can keep your "shomiti", the rest is actually OURS. Yours and mine. Community property. You, as a Sylheti, have NO special rights, nor do I.

You might want to hang a copy of this list above your bed, lest you get confused about this non-existant Sylheti-Bangladeshi issue. Fickle brains can play a lot of tricks on us, y'know.

A very good post!

Tehsin
November 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
hmmm, i thought i posted on this one. Chatgaiya, born and brought up. moved to the US and since then i've been in Arkansas, Texas, and Virginia. Already had two of those states represented in the white house, next one might be coming from Virginia just to keep the trend.

Baundule
November 14, 2006, 08:25 AM
Bagerhat

Tigers_eye
November 14, 2006, 09:26 AM
hmmm, i thought i posted on this one. Chatgaiya, born and brought up. moved to the US and since then i've been in Arkansas, Texas, and Virginia. Already had two of those states represented in the white house, next one might be coming from Virginia just to keep the trend.
How about them Hogs!!! The Razorbacks are in the mix of the title hunt 9-1 ranked 7 in the BCS.

Bagerhat
Go Khulna. We have many things in common.

Thebest and Billah,
Rock on bros!!

Mahir
November 14, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'd like to call Barisal my district, since nana/nanu and dada/dadu both sides are from there! But i was infact born n raised (until 12) in Dhaka!

Baundule
November 15, 2006, 10:36 AM
O man! They have already listed me in the Noakhalya group ;)
Tigers_eye, yes, Khulna, Bagerhat, Shatkhira .... all in the greater Khulna.

Protic
November 15, 2006, 02:09 PM
Dhaka.
Not a traditional,classic dhakaia though.

billah
November 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
Dhaka.
Not a traditional,classic dhakaia though.

Wait a minute, you're not "ghoti" are you? Ghotis normally say they are from Dhaka...:)

Nirjhar
November 16, 2006, 10:47 AM
My dad's from Kuch Bihar and my mom's from Tangail. I was born and lived for a long time in Mymensingh.

SideWinder
May 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
Which part of BD are you or your ancestry from??? I'll start off;

I am Chatpuri and Tangaili...!!!!!! (Half and Half). Technically I am from Chatpur, or Chandpur

shaad
May 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Barisal [বাংলা](বরিশাল)[/বাংলা]

zahid
May 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
Kishoreganj

Hatebreed
May 28, 2007, 05:03 PM
I swear there was a thread like this before...

My "ancestry" is from Greater Mymensingh/Netrokona. Though I was born and brought up in Dhaka until age 12.

Miraz
May 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
I am originally from Madaripur.

Born in Faridpur, passed my early life (up to SSC) in Kushtia, Khulna, Barisal and then Khulna again.

From HSC and onwards, Dhaka is my permanent residence. :)

Nafis_BD
May 28, 2007, 05:16 PM
Both my mom and my dad are from Chittagong and I was born at Dhaka Ibne Sina Hospital at 10:45 morning August 8th 1994.

Mahir
May 28, 2007, 05:25 PM
I swear there was a thread like this before...

And here it is : http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=13232

Mods, please merge.

SideWinder
May 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
Both my mom and my dad are from Chittagong and I was born at Dhaka Ibne Sina Hospital at 10:45 morning August 8th 1994.

Tumi to kuchi khoka to...:-p

cricket_pagol
May 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
Bogra, but never been there because my grandparents lived in Dhaka.

When I was very young i would always ask people where their "desher bari" is? I don't do it any more!

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 06:54 PM
dhaka city, lalbagh. born in dhanmondi. raised in suburban DC and paris, france. lived most of my life in berkeley and the city of san francisco. back to dhaka for good, and LOVIN' IT ! have family from all over BD, mostly from greater dhaka, greater noakhali, and chittagong.

avidfan
May 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
hi i am from calcutta, but am originally from Bangladesh. my grandfather was came from Comilla, my grandmother came from Rangpur

Nafis_BD
May 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
Tumi to kuchi khoka to...:-p
Bhaiya amar quantity(age+height) te concentrate koren na amar quality te concentrate koren!!

Mahir
May 28, 2007, 11:14 PM
[edited]

Nocturnal
May 28, 2007, 11:41 PM
My parents were from greater Faridpur, I was born (in Moghbazar) and brought up in Dhaka for 20+ years and then moved here few years ago. Never lived anywhere other than Dhaka in BD. so, I would say I'm from Dhaka. :)

DJ Sahastra
May 28, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hi,

I am not from Bangladesh but i have strong bonds with Pabna :)

Nocturnal
May 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hi,

We all know that DJ. :D

ammark
May 29, 2007, 03:27 AM
Bhaiya amar quantity(age+height) te concentrate koren na amar quality te concentrate koren!!

Speaking of which Nafis. Bhalo pushtikor khabar ektu beshi beshi kore khaba. Doura douri, khela dhula, warming up thamay diyo na. We need you to be the next Mashrafee, and some strong shoulders on you couldnt hurt ;)

As for the thread topic: Baap from Chita'ang, Ma from Sylot, Me born and brought up in Dhaka. I understand spoken Sylheti and Chatgaiya, but if its too khas and accented like from East London or Manchester, then I have trouble following them big time. Been in Canada since after A Levels. :)

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 05:56 AM

Jiha suto bhai....[edited] qualitita kemon dekhte hobey...khali uchchota naa...shothto

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 05:57 AM
LOL. Ami to East Londonete thaki, ar Syleti bhasha thakte thakte tuley felesi:

'Tor nam kita'
'Bala asos ni'
'Ami ceef (syletitised colloquial for 'chips') balafay

is that syleti???

:)))

afrina
May 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
My dad is from Manikgong, mom from Noakhali, and I born in DHAKA.

Nafis_BD
May 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
Speaking of which Nafis. Bhalo pushtikor khabar ektu beshi beshi kore khaba. Doura douri, khela dhula, warming up thamay diyo na. We need you to be the next Mashrafee, and some strong shoulders on you couldnt hurt ;)

Thanks for the tip bhaiya!!!!

Sohel
May 29, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hi,

funny, it doesn't show at all... :-D

dr. lutfur rahman, one of the best cardiac surgeons in the world's from pabna BTW... born AND bred.

Sohel
May 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
My dad is from Manikgong, mom from Noakhali, and I born in DHAKA.

here's a short list of great bangladeshis from greater noakhali including swandip: habibullah bahar chaudhury, dr. munir chaudhury, dr. mofazzal haidar chaudrury, dr. kabir chaudhury, dr. abdul matin chaudhury, begum shamsunnahar, zahir rayhan, shahidullah kaiser, quayyum chaudhury, ramendu mazumdar, general abdur rahman, general manzur, general moeen u ahmed to name a few... don't let anybody's anti-noakhaillah ignorance and envy get to you cuz.

rah
May 30, 2007, 08:11 AM
ma mum from srimangal and ma dad from moulvibazar shohor both in mouvibazar jilla in sylhet bibagh. i wos born in norf west london

GoldenAsif
May 30, 2007, 03:27 PM
LOL. Ami to East Londonete thaki, ar Syleti bhasha thakte thakte tuley felesi:

'Tor nam kita'
'Bala asos ni'
'Ami ceef (syletitised colloquial for 'chips') balafay

is that syleti???

:)))

Sylheti is strictly speaking in linguistic terms a separate language. However what defines a dialect and a language is often arbitrary and political. Many dialects of Italian are mutually intelligible whereas other "separate languages" are quite intelligible e.g. Slovak and Czech. However in response to the typical uneducated ridicule of Sylhetis here, I have to say that Sylheti is a rich dialect/language and has a quite complex grammar and has a female and masculine form of many pronouns unlike standard Bengali. However I am not one of these die-hard Sylheti nationalists and have no time for them, in the same way as I have no time for die-hard anti-Sylhetis who wish to ridicule us. :-p In nationality terms I am Bangladeshi first and then Bengali and then Sylheti. (note I do not wish to rekindle the already exhausted issue of Sylheti regional identity, and as a Sylheti I a little while ago read some posts by the forum member called "Sylheti" and all I can say is this guy does not live in reality and such people need to...as Americans would say "get down with the programme").:-p

As for which part of Sylhet I come from, I come from Sylhet district within Sylhet division and I am from the same thana as the Mufti of Bangladesh, Ubaidul Haq, so time for people to find out where he is from if they want to know my thana.;)

GoldenAsif
May 30, 2007, 03:29 PM
ma mum from srimangal and ma dad from moulvibazar shohor both in mouvibazar jilla in sylhet bibagh. i wos born in norf west london

You are probably a tough lad as it is likely you went to North-west minister school. I have heard some interesting stories about that place from Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Pakistani and Indian friends. ;)

I'm sure you've heard of Lisson Grove too.

SideWinder
May 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
Sylheti is strictly speaking in linguistic terms a separate language. However what defines a dialect and a language is often arbitrary and political. Many dialects of Italian are mutually intelligible whereas other "separate languages" are quite intelligible e.g. Slovak and Czech. However in response to the typical uneducated ridicule of Sylhetis here, I have to say that Sylheti is a rich dialect/language and has a quite complex grammar and has a female and masculine form of many pronouns unlike standard Bengali. However I am not one of these die-hard Sylheti nationalists and have no time for them, in the same way as I have no time for die-hard anti-Sylhetis who wish to ridicule us. :-p In nationality terms I am Bangladeshi first and then Bengali and then Sylheti. (note I do not wish to rekindle the already exhausted issue of Sylheti regional identity, and as a Sylheti I a little while ago read some posts by the forum member called "Sylheti" and all I can say is this guy does not live in reality and such people need to...as Americans would say "get down with the programme").:-p

As for which part of Sylhet I come from, I come from Sylhet district within Sylhet division and I am from the same thana as the Mufti of Bangladesh, Ubaidul Haq, so time for people to find out where he is from if they want to know my thana.;)

:-* Good for you bro (don't the take the smiley to seriously)
Lol I wasn't making fun....just testing if my syleti was up to standards. btw, your right, of all the dialects in bd, syleti dialect has the most traces of arabic. mashallah

Protic
May 30, 2007, 04:20 PM
MOM from Bogra
Dad from Dhaka.. i was born at Dhaka.
:D Counting out the vacations..always living in Dhaka,BD.

Bengaliprince176
May 30, 2007, 04:27 PM
Not from Bangladesh personally, but have roots in Jessore, so like to refer myself as 1/4 bangladeshi (technically East Bengali) as it was pre 1947

zahid
May 30, 2007, 06:20 PM
Did I mention that I am from Kishoreganj ? - The place where Maan Singh and someone else from Nawab's govt. fought is here.

Zobair
May 30, 2007, 06:29 PM
Mymens(h)ingh.

Hatebreed
May 30, 2007, 06:40 PM
Mymens(h)ingh.

Ahh finally a fellow Mymens(h)inghya! :big_hug:

GoldenAsif
May 31, 2007, 12:15 PM
Sidewinder, cool.

I will say, though my standard Bangla is very weak. For me it is our national language and therefore it is far more important to me than a regional dialect/language (Chaitgaya has even more right to be considered a separate language as it is even more distant from standard Bangla, something which Sylheti nationalists should be aware of).

If you read my posts I have a few times referred to Dhaka as "amader Rajdani". It is our national capital. It is my capital. I do not see it as a rival city but the central and focal point of my country and even to an extent the wider Bengali community e.g. West Bengalis, Burmese Bengalis (Rohingas) and the 1-3 million Pakistani Bengalis.

Ama mono khori thumar Sylheti amar Shudo bashaa thakee boht bala. :P

SideWinder
May 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
Sidewinder, cool.

I will say, though my standard Bangla is very weak. For me it is our national language and therefore it is far more important to me than a regional dialect/language (Chaitgaya has even more right to be considered a separate language as it is even more distant from standard Bangla, something which Sylheti nationalists should be aware of).

If you read my posts I have a few times referred to Dhaka as "amader Rajdani". It is our national capital. It is my capital. I do not see it as a rival city but the central and focal point of my country and even to an extent the wider Bengali community e.g. West Bengalis, Burmese Bengalis (Rohingas) and the 1-3 million Pakistani Bengalis.

Ama mono khori thumar Sylheti amar Shudo bashaa thakee boht bala. :P

Amader obostha jebhabey huk, amra bangali, ar amra bangla bhalobashi.
Bhalo kotha bollen bhai, amra ek hoi bangladesher potakar nichey....joy bangla, joy bangali...joy mohammad ashraful!!! :smug:

GoldenAsif
June 3, 2007, 03:11 PM
ami shudo bhasha bhala kori boltam pari na :P

kintu..I agree 100%...lol.

SideWinder
June 3, 2007, 04:56 PM
Close enough Asif..you speak better standard than some.

Tigers_eye
October 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone from Lalmonirhat? Saw a documentary last night at ATN (central time 9pm) which has touched my heart. A chairman (Anwarul Hoq) has made illegal deeds of lands at rajpur (bank of Tista) area and surroundings and evicted them from their land. Land of their forefathers. Now they have become beggers and put a slum beside the Govt road. Many articles have been written about these poor people in many dailies about the tyrant (has a lathial bahini) but no Govt has taken any action. Some of the people are Hindus and some are muslims.

I just wondered if anyone is from that area and knows more about this story. Please PM me on this issue. I want to do something about it.

Kabir
October 31, 2007, 12:22 PM
Khaise, Mijan bhai khepse. Eibar govornor ke dhoira oi lathiyal bahini re bomb marbe mone hoy!

Antora
November 1, 2007, 04:03 AM
well lets see dada bari comilla ar nana bari pabna!...

zahid
November 1, 2007, 05:45 AM
Dadar bari Kishoregonj
Mar - Norshingdi

Ami - Kishoregonj