PDA

View Full Version : Kapali

Sham
December 3, 2002, 12:18 PM
Alok Kapali again proved his value to our side by scoring the most runs for either side in the 3rd ODI. His unbeaten knock of 89 came off 93 balls, an excellent one day strike rate. He is quickly establishing himself as our most dependable batsman. Young Anwar Hossain also batted well on his ODI debut.

Pundit
December 3, 2002, 12:50 PM
Yes, a very sensible start. It was refreshing to see the openers put a value on their wickets.

Too bad that BD lucked out with Ashraful.

But what an innings from Kapali - almost realized our dream of a ODI century. Had the openers played a little faster, we would have one big reason to really smile.

But what's up with the BD openers - how many duos have they tried since the ODI status ? I think almost 10 different. Just goes to show how poor our domestic wickets and bowlers are !!

Orpheus
December 3, 2002, 12:54 PM
Too bad he couldn't turned that into a century because of the other losers. Wisden made a valuable comment today - BD should nurture these types of talents. So, I say - we don't remove players like Ashraful, kapali, talha, tushar ... based on some of their poor performaces. These 4+ must be in the team all time unless they screw up like 10 innings straight or something.

Tehsin
December 3, 2002, 01:41 PM
Our one saving grace. Full marks go to Anwar. What a gamble. However, his hundred in the practice matches paid off.

The selectors may not know how to pick their BOWLERS but when it comes to batting, they do know a thing or two.

Here's my question. They hide behind 'Not enough Experience' whenever their bats fail. Err, this was Anwar's debut match and Kapali is still a rookie. Bura dham gular lojjao lagena ? All it is is that they are not playing to their merit. Something is on their shoullder and it needs to be SHRINKED out of them. Also, maybe they are just plain lazy. The new guys are still too new to catch that fever. *sigh*

Look at the two newbiews and look at the 'veterans'.

James90
December 3, 2002, 04:38 PM
Seezan and Rokon
Seezan and Anwar
Hannan and Rokon
Hannan and Golla
Golla and Rokon
Golla and Mehrab
Rokon and Mehrab
Ashraful and Mehrab
Mehrab and Shariar

James90
December 3, 2002, 04:47 PM
He's has scored 119 runs and got out once meaning that his average against the Windies is 119!!!!!!!!!

fwullah
December 3, 2002, 05:46 PM
Everytime this lad - Alok Kapali (and also Tapash) does well, he makes a real mockery of our premier league clubs.

I mean, if he can perform this way without playing in clubs like Abahani, Mohammaden , and Biman, then how bad are these clubs?

And how bad are our current national players who have been nurtured in these clubs and are now in the national team?

Zobair
December 3, 2002, 05:48 PM
is this the second highest ODI score by a Bangladeshi?

Tehsin
December 3, 2002, 08:37 PM
Kapali comes in Number 3.

Highest individual scores in an ODI :

101 Mehrab Hossain March 26th against Zimbabwe
95 Shahriar Hossain March 19th against Kenya
82 Athar Ali Khan, Jul 16, 1997 against Pakistan
78* Athar Ali Khan, Dec 31, 1990 against Sri Lanka
77 Mohammed Rafique, May 17th, 1998 against Kenya
73 Mehrab Hossain, March 20th against Zimbabwe
70 Habibul Bashar, Oct 11, 1997 against Zimbabwe
70 Aminul Islam, May 14th, 1998 against India
69* Aminul Islam, Jan 10th, 1998 against India

fwullah
December 4, 2002, 02:15 AM
I think there is a 85 missing. Javed Omar scored unbeaten 85, I think against SL in the 2000 Asia cup.

James90
December 4, 2002, 02:22 AM
yeah there's quite a few missing.......
www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/NATIONAL/BDESH/
then Database-Statistics then batting then Highest ODI Scores

Tehsin
December 4, 2002, 02:51 AM
Huh, I posted it, didn't even look at the scores cause I figured cricinfo was up to date on Banbgladesh. Huh.... have to wonder what the cricinfo Bangladesh office was doing, no wonder they had to close it down.

Instead of closing it down, they needed to employ some real fans to run that page instead of someone who didn't even know the names of half the players.

samircreep
December 4, 2002, 03:23 AM
A bit on Anwar.He's definitely a good prospect but I'm not convinced yet that he can play in the one dayers as yet. A guy who takes 120 deliveries to score 42 at the top order won't make any one day team.Especially worrying was his complete inability to rorate the strike.

But not to take anything away from this kid, he still needs polish. I say he needs a couple of more A team tours.

Sham
December 4, 2002, 04:06 AM
Looks like he is a Test batsman in the making. Thats actually darned encouraging. We dont need any more of these stroke players who hit two fours and get out trying to hit the third. We need people who can stick around for over a 100 balls and score 40. Thats great!

fwullah
December 4, 2002, 11:17 AM
Kapali's batting average has jumped to 25 from 13 in this three match one day series.

Tehsin
December 4, 2002, 03:41 PM
Odur bhobishyot e KAPALI bat dhorlei bowler der KAPANI dhore jabe. khek.

Orpheus
December 8, 2002, 09:29 PM
Did you read Kapali's comment in the Daily Star? Now this is the attitude.. he said...I paraphrase

Getting some runs is good, but getting 100 would have been better.

This guy is setting his goals up, expecting more and more. This is the attitude we need. Other batsman, lets say Hannan 60 pawar por nacha nachi shuru korchilo.

I hope this is just not another "inform" phase which lasts for one series only.

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by Orpheus]

Sham
December 8, 2002, 09:35 PM
Kapali's whole approach to batting is so different from the other BD batsmen. He doesn't play unecessary shots, waits for the bad balls and hits them when they come. He has good judgement and so far has shown good temperament. Lets just hope that he continues to strive for improvement.

Tehsin
December 8, 2002, 09:38 PM
Just like -
Durjoy 20 korlei nacha nachi shuru kore
Bulbul Duck bhanglei nacha nachi shuru kore
Sumon 50 korlei haal chere dei
Ashraful 2/4 ta boundary marle shobbai dhonno dhonno korey
Rokon bat dhorlei shobbai murcha jaai (so much talent ..... )

You talking about this nacha nachis ?

Tehsin
December 8, 2002, 09:51 PM
So far the only think that made him separate from the rest is that HE CAN HANDLE pressure. Bulbul and co'r moto kanna kati korena.
It was either Bulbul or Akram who said that the reason they are not being able to perform is that they were under so much pressure - perform or get dropped, well DUH. nothing special for you son, that's the case in every sport everywhere. What you got to do is prove yourself. besides, aren't you suppose to perform anyways ? If you can't handle the pressure of BCB selectors, how can you face up to the likes of DRAKES any other Test/ODI players ?

fwullah
December 9, 2002, 08:15 AM
Tehsin, you gotta post your lines on the front page. That should be the quote of the month.

"Durjoy 20 korlei nacha nachi shuru kore
Bulbul Duck bhanglei nacha nachi shuru kore
Sumon 50 korlei haal chere dei
Ashraful 2/4 ta boundary marle shobbai dhonno dhonno korey
Rokon bat dhorlei shobbai murcha jaai (so much talent ..... ) "

Mahmood
December 9, 2002, 11:05 AM
Fahmida, quoting you...

I mean, if he can perform this way without playing in clubs like Abahani, Mohammaden , and Biman, then how bad are these clubs?

I dont remember where or when, but I do vaguely remember he played for Mohammedan either this year, or last year. Or may be I am confused.

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by Rajputro]

Tehsin
December 9, 2002, 12:39 PM
Why didn't Kapali bowl a single over ? What's the point behind that ? Test matches give you enough overs and specially when we didn't mind bowling Ehsanul in ODIs, why not give Kapali a chance to hone on your bowling talents. He might not have done that good in the minimum bowling assignment he had. Well you play test matches to grow and with Kapali's recent mindset, he could work on his bowling as well as carry on with the bat. He isn't that bad of a bowler if you see his league performance.

bd_cricket
December 9, 2002, 08:14 PM
Quoting from daily Independent:

For Bangladesh, Alok Kapali was the performer of the day with his 52 - his
maiden Test half century.

Kapali, a revelation of the Bangladesh team during the tour of Sri Lanka, has
been the most consistent batsman of the national team.

While all the seniors have failed now and again, the six-match experienced
allrounder from Sylhet was always there when the chips were low.

He began where he had left off in the last match of the one-day series - a
career best unbeaten 89 - and raced to 24 with six boundaries.

He made most of a life on the same score to reach 52 on way

to repair the early damage partnering with skipper Khaled Masud Pilot.

"I am used to play under pressure as I have faced the same situation often,"
Kapali told reporters after the day's match.

"I have concentrated more on my batting, and everyone including the coach
and my teammates are helping me," Kapali told.

Kapali, was dragged into the national side as a legspinner who can bat but he
wants his allrounder status to be cemented as a batsman who can bowl.

"I did not get much chance in domestic cricket to prove my batting but I think
my batting is better.

Kapali, who knows his limitations, prefers the No. 6 position where he has
scored most of his runs.

"I will feel no pressure if promoted in batting order but I like to bat here. I
also try to leave as many deliveries as possible and try to go for drives instead
of playing square of the wicket.

I will go for any bad ball but I don't want to endanger the team's position by
playing rash shots.

###