Zobair
July 11, 2004, 09:37 PM
Any news?

Basri
July 12, 2004, 01:20 AM
Any news about score/players?

chinaman
July 12, 2004, 01:25 AM
No, unfortunately not yet. We may not get any info within the next few hours. But you never know, we just might get it anytime. Keeping my fingers crossed.

mahbubH
July 12, 2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by chinaman
No, unfortunately not yet. We may not get any info within the next few hours. But you never know, we just might get it anytime. Keeping my fingers crossed.

That sounds encouraging... :duh: After Namibia tour you lost your form chainaman!

Basri
July 12, 2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by chinaman

Thanks. Waiting for news.

rockpundit
July 12, 2004, 04:36 AM
Im dying here guys.... gimme some news.........

:fire:

rockpundit
July 12, 2004, 04:38 AM
Bd should give Abdur Razzak as much exposure as possible, I see great talent in the bloke.... And whatever happened to Shahadat Hossain?

Biggest Bd fan :fanflag:

200SX
July 12, 2004, 06:33 AM
:):o:(:-/:drool::rolleyes::mad::info::exclamation: whr is newz bros........?

shovon13
July 12, 2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd

That sounds encouraging... :duh: After Namibia tour you lost your form chainaman!

errr...i dont think chinaman vai will be able to find a news reporter on the ground willing to provide him with information on every tour bd goes to. hopefully we'll get the news soon....better not be ruined by rain!!

mahbubH
July 12, 2004, 08:56 AM
We won... link (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/) ..

But the opponent cannot be Sri Lanka A as they are currently playing against Sussex at Hove (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/fds/hi/statistics/cricket/scorecards/2004/7/6865/html/scorecard.stm)
#############################
Sri Lanka A : 248/7, 50 overs (Vabdoots 86, Farnando 47, Razzak 2/34, Mahmud 2/54, Rafique 2/32, Mushfiq 1/55)

Bangladesh : 251/8, 49 overs (Ashraful 3, Javed 11, Kapali 47, Mashud 49*, Rafique 35, Rajin 32, Bashar 22, Faishal 17, Mahmud 6*)

Bangaladesh won by 2 wkts

[Edited on 12-7-2004 by sports_fan_bd : more info]

crazyisland
July 12, 2004, 09:05 AM
Not very convincing but I will take it. Looks like K Mashud saved the game for us as he does or try to do this job pretty often. I would have been lot more happier if our Opening stand had a strong start. Anyway hopefully in real matches our opening batsmen will give us a solid start and NOT put us in back foot from get go.

Ash needs to be consistent. Golla needs to do better than 11.

200SX
July 12, 2004, 09:11 AM
nice to c tht tigers win, but they shud do more better, batting looks confident for them, but im still in doubt abt bowling... i don kno wat others thnk...?:fanflag:

Basri
July 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
Great. We have won chasing 248 runs. It's a good sign. GO TIGERS GO.
:fire::fire::fire::fanflag:

[Edited on 12-7-2004 by Basri]

Basri
July 12, 2004, 09:16 AM
Again Mashud and Rafiq saved the game. It seems Alok is expecting a place.

rassel
July 12, 2004, 09:17 AM
is all good! we won:great::great::great:

200SX
July 12, 2004, 09:21 AM
cacha shows poor performence again, 54/2.....:mad:

PoorFan
July 12, 2004, 09:37 AM
Nice to see that we won.
Ashraful made only 3, just after a good score( again ).

Carte Blanche
July 12, 2004, 10:07 AM
Wasn't that convincing a win. But then again we were chasing a reasonably big target. Our chasing skills are horrible. Looks like a late order rescue effort to me. Pilot again the man. I will still take heart from the fact that we won a game chasing 250. Good luck against HK.

Zobair
July 12, 2004, 10:14 AM
I wish we had one more practice match before the tourny starts. Anyways, this was a win nonetheless. Whatmore will make sure lessons are learnt from this match as well.

Bring HK on!

200SX
July 12, 2004, 10:17 AM
i thnk bd shud take the match against hong kong as a practice match, which will b very helpful for the other match......
:fanflag:

Beamer
July 12, 2004, 10:20 AM
Yes, chasing was the key, regardless of the opposition. Happy about the fact that we won the toss and elected to field. Has Bashar lost any tosses? Its remarkable, his luck with winning the toss! hope it continues. For me, the key was Kapalis 47. He is one of our best one day batsman. It will also fire up faisal. Young razzak had excellent figures. I think he will play in this tournament. Omar
is a question mark. But then again, Kapali or Rana can open. What can I say about Pilot. It will be hard to replace him when that day comes.

Zobair
July 12, 2004, 10:21 AM
Lets not get overconfident :) We should take HK seriously and aim to crush them, and set ourselves a standard for the rest of the tournament. Besides we shouldn't expect HK to lie down and roll over.

Originally posted by 200SX
i thnk bd shud take the match against hong kong as a practice match, which will b very helpful for the other match......

TAIF
July 12, 2004, 10:24 AM
Having these two wins under our belt will certainly boost our confidence going in to the tournament. These are not convincing wins but at the end of the day you can't complain because you have to win these matches be it by one run or wicket. The last thing you want to do is lose to an understrength sri lankan side before facing Hong Kong. So I'm glad these matches are succesfully over.:bravo::bravo::bravo::fanflag::fanflag::fanfl ag:

200SX
July 12, 2004, 10:25 AM
pompus, ur say is rite here, coz bangladesh always used to b an unpredictable team, but this time they r the real tiger........still shavdhaner mair nai...

Navarene
July 12, 2004, 10:44 AM
Our wayward bowling needs to be more focused. Happy to see Kapali into runs. Belim proves again that he is not fit for one day standard. A win by chasing a respectable target is a very good sign. Thank to our batsmen for their positive approach.

Good luck tigers from the bottom of my heart :flag:

Basri
July 12, 2004, 10:51 AM
Bowling was not so good. But it may be acceptable in absence of Taposh and Tareq.

Ahmed_B
July 12, 2004, 11:09 AM
and its good to see that the team is coping with that habit! :)

nice result.. chasing 248!

cheers for Pilot n Rafiq again.. for valuable runs!.. i can see what the test 100's hav done to them!

BD is actually playing with secondary bowling strength.. without Tapash/Tareq... so not to worry... coz it will improve whn the team is in full strength in the big matches(hopefully)!!

and most of all...welcome back KAPALI!!

AsifTheManRahman
July 12, 2004, 11:20 AM
Not very convincing - a mere two wicket win over a B side. However, it's very good to see that we have won chasing 250, especially when you consider our horrible chasing skills. If we can keep this up and improve on it, then we'll be able to put up good shows in the future.

I don't think Javed's not of ODI standard. He did score a century against a test playing side (if I recall correctly) in a practice match before the champions trophy in Dhaka (the one in which we didn't play). However, he does have to improve a lot.

BD Tigers
July 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
Loved to see BD chased 250 runs. Can't wait to see them in LIVE Action. I got Dish Network (ARY digital) and from Thrusday night it will be ALL CRICKET at my place. Just hoping that my wife will not kill me before the tournament ends . :fire::fire::fire:

rassel
July 12, 2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 200SX

As you know, our top orders are usually master blunder. We have seen it before and it continues in recent matches as well. So, I wouldn’t take anybody lightly especially this new comer Hong Kong. I am not sure about their blowing strength, but I know that only one good bowler could destroy our top order in a blink of an eye. Anyway, if our top orders click expect a landslide victory.

Rubu
July 12, 2004, 12:18 PM
it does not really matter how we win, but that we win. it happened in real matches several times before that we could not win from a good position. these win will be helpful to handle situations like that.

tigerfan, can u broadcase via msn/yahoo messenger like cricketpagol? that would give 30 members like us a chance to watch it.

rana
July 12, 2004, 12:32 PM
BD should talke them more seriously .see srilanka almost beat BD .but it was luck bd won the game :mad:

Zobair
July 12, 2004, 02:48 PM
Bangladesh warm up well
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

A splendid team effort helped Bangladesh score a two-wicket victory over Sri Lanka Invitational XI in the third and final practice match at the Colts Ground in Colombo on Monday.
Winning the toss, the Bangladesh captain invited the hosts to bat first. The local team piled up a respectable 248 runs losing seven wickets in the stipulated 50 overs with Vandoots (86) and Farnando (47) playing superb innings against a Test side.
Among the Bangladeshi bowlers the left-arm duo Mohammad Rafique and Abdur Razzak scalped two wickets each conceding 32 and 34 runs respectively. All-rounder Khaled Mahmud also picked up two for 54 runs while Mushfiqur Rahman got one wicket.
In reply, Bangladesh racked up 251 runs for the loss of eight wickets in 49 overs. Out-of- form Alok Kapali scored highest 47 runs while wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud added an unbeaten 40. All-rounder Mohammad Rafique (35), vice-captain Rajin Saleh (32), captain Habibul Bashar (22) and Faisal Hossain (17) were the other notable run-makers. Khaled Mahmud remained not out on 6.
Mohammad Ashraful, who scored a century in the first practice match against the same team, scored only three runs.
The Bangladesh squad reached Sri Lanka 15 days earlier to play three practice matches as their part of their preparation for the Asia Cup Cricket.
Bangladesh will play their inaugural match against minnows Hong Kong on July 16. They will face Pakistan in the second match.
A win against Honk Kong would secure a second phase berth in the tournament for Bangladesh.

Source: New Age (www.newagebd.com)

rassel
July 12, 2004, 02:56 PM
see what i am talking about

Asif
July 12, 2004, 04:40 PM
:umm: I dont know how you guys feel ... but I am very upset and unhappy with our batting performance in any kind of match whether it's an ODI or a first class match. Our upper order simply sucks! :snob: They consistantly get very little or no run although the are regarded as specialized batsmans ... if rafiq-pilot and other lower orders and bowlers make more runs on average than our specialized batsman .. then what good they are to the team:-/

betaar
July 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
I'm really confused with my feelings about this win.

ppl made the following comments in this thread so far:

" A win is a win" --- true

" end of the day winning by one wkt or one run is the same" --- true

"winning against a B-side in such an unconvincing way is not satisfactory"--- true

"bring on honkong, will kick there a$$"--- not sure.

"we are getting into a winning habit" --- true

"BD top order still sucks"-- true

all those comments are pretty contradictory, I'm not sure what to make of it. My prediction is not to predict when it comes to BD. But good luck Tigers.

Biplob
July 12, 2004, 11:10 PM
Recently its a good trend that we win in our tour matches. It is really good sign. Coz loosing tour match destroy the confident.

Well done boys..... :flag:

rafik
July 13, 2004, 01:31 AM
Based on practice match performance if team management include Alock in best 11 I think they will make mistake.

Nobiel
July 13, 2004, 01:52 AM
Told you.

[Edited on 7-13-2004 by chinaman]

Biplob
July 13, 2004, 02:49 AM
How about trying Alok instead of Javed Omar in the opening position ?

rockpundit
July 13, 2004, 04:27 AM
Go Bd Go Bd Go Bd yeah!
Well done although I expected better results. Guys it looks like Bangladesh cricket is finally coming into its own. This win will surely fire em up for the coming matches...
:joy:

Ibrahim
July 13, 2004, 08:22 AM
Emotional response:
BD got a win and did excellent.

Critical response:
Same old story. Top order collapsed once again and consistently.

Zephaniah
July 13, 2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Biplob
How about trying Alok instead of Javed Omar in the opening position ?

Ditto. Javed really doesn't inspire me in ODIs. When did Javed scored few runs or survived long in ODIs? His recent form and match fitness indicates he is gonna fail spectacularly. Atleast Kap's opening the innings in Asia cup can be seen as future investment, even he fails to perform and then get dropped.

Prolly we all somewhat know the shape of the BD playing eleven :
Option 1 : Javed opens the innings and either Kaps or Faisal plays in the middle order.
Option 2 : Kaps opens and Faisal plays in the middle order.

Personally I would go for option 2. The only apparent 'problem' with option 2 is all of our first three batsmen would play one shot too many (Kaps, Ash, Bashar). Shall we take the risk or not? We try not to take risks in first 15 overs. But when did our openers 'piled' up a decent score in ODIs? Hannan & Rana did it in 5th ODI against Zim, but apart from that? Let us try a new trick.....

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by Zephaniah]

IanW
July 13, 2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
it does not really matter how we win, but that we win. it happened in real matches several times before that we could not win from a good position. these win will be helpful to handle situations like that.

I completely agree. A win is a win is a win, and doing it chasing 250 is even better.

Bangladesh need more practice at winning against provincial and A and B teams, and this match is a step on that path.

Ian Whitchurch