PDA

View Full Version : Antipathy

nihi
July 15, 2004, 09:32 AM
I wanted to say something that I observed while reading some of the posts in this website. As in many other places, here I have seen some people maintaining antipathy against people from other countries. When antipathy is a soft incrimination, it may eventually contribute to the mass form of animosity and ethnic hatred that is brooding ominously all over the world.

I know this sounds laughably far-fetched, but all
what I mean is all this apparently not-so-small
incentives from different nooks of our life
adds up to to process which has been keeping our world so much in hostility with each other.
Given all what is going on these days, these processes of breeding xenophoby has been a matter of agony for me.

Not that I haven't found any apparent reason for those members to react in that way. Off course there are reasons. And the reactions are also not something outlandish. But this is probably the time when everybody, everybody who are concerned, needs to rise over one's self and take the initiative to break the walls. These walls, those were never here but made by ourselves, these walls of national boundary, ethnic segregation, religious division.

Though, when I said 'some people', I really meant just a handful of people. But this place is mainly to do with sports. And as many other faculties,
sports has a great power to foster commradeship. And, for that matter, a kind of commradeship that may indulge leniency to overlook fellow-delinquencies. Quite often this indulgence turns into condonement and endorsement.

I know my observation would be seen as an unasked for over-reacting out-of-space muddler. But make no mistake, this is not very much more than a soul searching for myself.

chinaman
July 15, 2004, 09:49 AM
Please spell it out what has been bothering you. This is as you recognized a sports fan site and competativeness lies at the very heart of all sports.

Perhaps you have been interpreting competativeness as enimosity?

A rather interesting first post from a member. Welcome to banglacricket and enjoy.

Arnab
July 15, 2004, 09:51 AM
What is this philosobabble bs? What are you talking about?

oracle
July 15, 2004, 10:09 AM
When antipathy is a soft incrimination, it may eventually contribute to the mass form of animosity and ethnic hatred that is brooding ominously all over the world.

hmm..
You might just be the antidote to the antipathy. Pls do continue and welcome.:)

Navarene
July 15, 2004, 12:03 PM
hmmm....an anomalous anti-racial post with profound antiphrastic aphorism. Now, would you please, nihi, be kind enough to be more specific about antipathy you found against some certain cult or creed or nation? We don't find any, unless a mere friendly banter would be antonym as "antipathy" in your apodeictic dictionary. Btw, welcome to BC.

cricketfan
July 15, 2004, 12:14 PM
From what I can make out of nihi's post and what I have also noticed is that nihi is pointing out that some participants resort to anti India statements even when the situation does not demand it.

For instance, "lack of respect" posts when Indian camp does not identify BD as a major contender, disparaging Sehwag on his statement about scoring ODI double century and of course, attacks on this forum's fovourite whipping boy, Ganguly at the drop of a hat.

nihi
July 15, 2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by chinaman
Please spell it out what has been bothering you. This is as you recognized a sports fan site and competativeness lies at the very heart of all sports.

Perhaps you have been interpreting competativeness as enimosity?

A rather interesting first post from a member. Welcome to banglacricket and enjoy.

Chinaman, thanks, I am happy to be here.

I actually have spelt out all what I had to say. I haven't tried to imply anything. Becuase I really wanted to speak generally. Of course the point in consideration is the current 'India bashing', which is how some have expressed it with.

And I was indicating to antipathy, not exactly animosity, which is, though, often a consequence of antipathy. And no, I was not interpreting competitiveness as animosity, though competitiveness may lead to animosity with the absence of moderation (self-imposed moderation, for that matter).

But I am not even indicating that the 'antipathy' that I am talking about was the result of unmoderated competitiveness displayed in this forum. No, certainly not. And there are ample evidence here. I was browsing through the threads opened during the WI-BD matches. There you can see competitiveness with no hard feelings, just 'friendly banters', as someone else has mentioned.

But what I have seen here is that, some of us have been helping ourselves to sharpen our hard feelings centering this issue of cricket. That is neither incriminating this forum nor this sports, since we do it wherever we find a way to do. And that is harmful. As for evidence, I guess we just need to leaf through some of the threads with an objective look.

I assumed this 'forget about cricket' may be a place to talk about any subject, so I did.

chinaman
July 15, 2004, 04:21 PM
Alright, let me clarify a little here, but please I don't want anyone to continue to drag the discussion from where I'll be leaving. This clarification might neither be "all-answering" nor "all-satisfying" but nonetheless will address some issue at hand. And I really mean this post to be the last on this subject.

Bangladesh being the newest test nation has been relentlessly targeted by many media outlets of the world. India is a prominent one even though they helped us gaining the test status in the first place. CricketNext, Rediff and many online discussion forums stand out high in a rather competative way to redicule Bangladesh whenever the can. Should I say Bangla bashing?

On the other hand, this is the lone recognized Bangladesh fan site whether online or offline. We are very proud of our boys regardless of their individual or team rankings with the rest and we build up our dreams around them. We do not have the luxury to build up, atleast not yet, a cricketing dynasty like the one India has today. Effectively, while we are at the receiving end from Hookes to Ganguly, from CricketNext to Cricinfo, we have this very lone site to vent our whatever you call, bashing, frustration, banter etc, I call 'breath' perhaps a deep one.

Now, if anyone can not take our breath while inside our living room, too bad for him as we show higher degree of tolerance against attacks from all corners comparing to his low tolerance level against the 'breath' from only one fan site, let alone any corner.

As fans, just as you consider yourself, we are entitled to be biased, happy, angry and such. Unlike our neighbours, we have only one living room and this is it. And please do not forget, we will be fighting you more often than not on the field, where there is no friendly-win or friendly-loss. Showing anger within one's lone and own yard should always be acceptable. Besides, we have some great fans for the Indian teams just as we have some great Indian fans for our team. And lastly we have dreams of defeating India once a while just as you do to defeat Australia every now and then. Cheers.

nihi
July 15, 2004, 04:54 PM
Chinaman, sorry for disobeying by posting again. But couldn't help disclosing one thing. I am from Bangladesh. And despite the contempt that I maintain for nationalist attitude, I support Bangladesh cricket team, and probably as fervently as anybody here. I just felt bad for some (I am tempted to add: "of my fellow") people occassionally going down in par with the very people they are aiming at.

Btw, I didn't mean to conceal my identity, but now fearing a bit, lest I am taken as 'Gharer shotru Bivishon'. And, I am honestly touched by your articulation about the fan site.

[Edited on 15-7-2004 by nihi]