PDA

View Full Version : Rajin Saleh : An ODI player

Zephaniah
July 17, 2004, 08:32 AM
Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0

overall 15 15 0 407 71 64 57 27.13 0 3 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series Win Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0

Bangladesh in Pakistan, 2003 [Series]
Pak 5 5 0 211 71 64 47 42.20 0 2 0
England in Bangladesh, 2003/04 [Series]
Eng 3 3 0 58 37 19 2 19.33 0 0 0
Bangladesh in Zimbabwe, 2003/04 [Series]
Zim 3 3 0 90 57 21 12 30.00 0 1 0
Bangladesh in West Indies, 2004 [Series]
WI 3 3 0 38 20 17 1 12.66 0 0 0
Asia Cup (BD/HK/Ind/UAE) in Sri Lanka, 2004 [Tournament]
- 2 2 0 25 10 15 - 12.50 0 0 0

Rajin needs to play like the vice-captain of the team. I guess he somewhat secured his place in test matches, 'cause his batting in test matches really inspire confidence and beg more time and effort to be invested. But how about his ODI batting? Well he's still young, hence should be looking forward to develop his game which isn't ideal at present.

I suggest Rajin is to be relieved from ODI vice-captaincy but continue as a player. He was appointed vice-captain after debut Pakistan series where he did well. After that his performance is nothing to write home about. And we tend to think his position is fixed in the final eleven only 'cause he's the vice-captain. He's a fine hard working player, but I think he really needs to develop his ODI game in terms of strike rate and finding gaps in middle overs to rotate the strike otherwise it puts too much pressure on other batsmen if he gets out cheaply. At some point in today's match against Pakistan I felt Team Bangladesh could do better with Faisal at no.4 specially when he's in good nick. Mind you i'm not writting off Rajin in ODIs. But we need to rethink what we're doing. We need to give chances to inform players in the right time and always team should come first, not individual.

I would not start another thread for Mushfiq Babu. But his batting is not upto ODI standard and dropping him down in the batting order is not the solution either. Everyone has a specific role to play in ODI games and successful implementation of that role makes a balanced team. Musfiq's role in the team is to play as bowling all-rounder who can bat. He would better start delivering or come September he'll evaporate.

[Edited on 17-7-2004 by Zephaniah : highlight]

[Edited on 17-7-2004 by Zephaniah : stats added]

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by Zephaniah]

Imtiaz
July 17, 2004, 08:47 AM
Your views are half-way to mine. I was also enormously impressed by Rajin's performances in Pakistan. In fact, I believe, he is technically the best batsman.

But he is not helping ODI batting.

I also agree with you regarding Mushfiq. I am not 100% comfortable. The only reason I will still have him in the side is because he himself effectively took over Sujon's role. Sujon is now playing only as a bowler largely for his performances in Zimbabwe and that one match in the WI.
Mushfiqur still is reasonably economical and usually bowls to a plan. Not today though ! And, until, Mashrefe comes back I do not think we have too many options. Mashrefe, by the way, has the potential to become an all-rounder. He is clean hitter of the ball.

The "all-rounder" tag is much abused. An all-rounder is really a player who can command a place in the side either as a bowler or as a batsman and not someone who can bat a bit and bowl a bit. Most sides do not really have someone like that. In one sense, you could include Gilchrist in this category, i.e. he is a wicket-keeper and commands a place as a batsman. Flintoff, of course, as well.

Zephaniah
July 18, 2004, 05:32 AM
Actually i don't see any point of Rajin being the vice-captain of ODI team.

James90
July 18, 2004, 06:46 AM
No-one should be vice-captain...if Javed continues his form for the rest of the tournament and then at the Champs Trophy then maybe he could take over