PDA

View Full Version : Cricinfo? what is this?

cRow
July 17, 2004, 10:09 AM
I could not help controlling my anger when i saw todays heading "Pakistan brush Bangladesh aside? How disgusting and humiliating. Are we dirts that somebody needs a brush to sweep us? We will keep our heads high till we kick their *** someday. :flag:

Arnab
July 17, 2004, 11:12 AM
You might not want to read too much into it.

Cricinfo, or for that matter, sports websites in general, use this kind of language all the time.

rassel
July 17, 2004, 11:53 AM
Cricinfo? what is this?

Is originated by crack business and its major dealer is cricketnext.com so, expect this kind of vulgar remarks.;)

AsifTheManRahman
July 17, 2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by cRow
I could not help controlling my anger when i saw todays heading "Pakistan brush Bangladesh aside? How disgusting and humiliating. Are we dirts that somebody needs a brush to sweep us? We will keep our heads high till we kick their <b>bottom</b> someday. :flag:

it's cricinDo actually...:)

Ockey
July 17, 2004, 12:36 PM
cRow,
What do you want Cricinfo to say? Perhaps a tile such as "Bangladesh make Pakistan work" or "Pakistan scrapes by" would have been better to your liking but they are simply untrue. Pakistan won by 76 runs, which, in the arena among test playing nations, is very convincing win. The scorecard doesn't even tell the whole tale of how the Pakistani batsmen made a mockery of the BD bowlers in the first 40 overs. I was very disappointed with the way BD played. I feel, Bashar should have gone to his part time bowlers when his main line up wasn't getting a break through.

And how come you didn't complain when Crickinfo put up the title: "Bangladesh outclass Hong Kong"? In many cultural context "outclass" is worse than "brush aside". Only when you are in the receiving end does it matter?

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by Ockey]

cricketfan
July 17, 2004, 02:50 PM
If a major team loses by the margin of 76 runs, the media of that team will be much more scathing than the cricinfo title. In fact they will be much more harsh for even a narrow defeat of 6 runs and call their team's performance by such colourful names as bunch of losers, chokers, tame surrender etc. Fans of that country will be least interested in finding out the semantical appropriateness of an cricinfo report and the title thereof.

It is a unique feature of this forum that some members can find fault with any report that originates in foreign media. To take the example of cricinfo, if cricinfo, does not cover BD cricket, it is accused of neglecting BD cricket. If it gives coverage to BD cricket, the content of the article meets with disapproval from the forum members. If the cricinfo actually comes up about a favourable report viz. " BD outclasses HK", instead of feeling happy, the BD fans feel unhappy because Indian win over UAE gets more prominence in their opinion.

If BD loses the way they lost to Pakistan, they can find fault with the title of the cricinfo article.

In my opinion, feeling victimised all the time at the hands of the foreign media in general and cricinfo in particular is not justified. It only helps divert attention from the real fact which is that BD yet again fell to their achilles heal viz. inability to chase. 258 is a total which every major team considers reachable and reaches it successfully more often than not against any attack including this Pakistani attack.

Just prior to the beginning of Asia cup, many participants of this forum asserted that BD will beat Pakistan as Pakistan were in disarray. Now, those participants, instead of admitting that their assessment was way off target want to divert attention by criticising the title of cricinfo.

It seams that the hype created in this forum by some ( BD will win the Asia cup) was actually believed by some people and now they have difficulty getting reconciled to reality.

If the margin of defeat does not upset the fans and the fact that BD yet again showed their inability to chase is ignored, then it means that BD has not learnt its lessons from the defeats. In that case, any improvement that BD may have made under Dave Whatmore in ODIs will remain a well guarded secret to most of the world.

[Edited on 17-7-2004 by cricketfan]

cRow
July 17, 2004, 03:07 PM
I just wanted cricinfo to be a little liberal while choosing their language. Critisizing bangladesh is well and fair, we will know our limitations that way. If cricinfo would have said " Pakistan outclass bangladesh" i would not have mind, cause they infact did, but brushing away like we brush away dirt was a little offensive, well to me atleast. Cricinfo has never been good to us, may be because by being bad they want to awake the tiger inside us--- if thats their intention, then congrats, it might work for our thick headed batsmen. :flag:

muddaser
July 17, 2004, 04:14 PM
you guys do know that the majority of reporters at cricinfo are indian.

rassel
July 17, 2004, 05:02 PM
Defending champions Pakistan started off their Asia Cup campaign in grand style by hammering Bangladesh by a massive margin of 76 runs here today( cricketnext).

wow!!! must be Cricket correspondent of the year!

rafiq
July 17, 2004, 08:23 PM
Please call a hartal against Crickinfo, we will burn down their offices.

Hasib
July 18, 2004, 08:27 AM
SL is hammering the Indian bowling... and the cricinfo headline reads "Sri Lanka makes Steady Progress". If I wrote it it would have been "Sri Lanka Hammers Indian Bowling"

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by Hasib]

oracle
July 18, 2004, 08:45 AM
Middle order lifts Sri Lanka to 282

-lankans were in control from ball 1 as such there was no lifting going on.
-all of them on double figures

totally baised reporting from Cricinfo. If they even report like this about a team like SL what do you expect them to say about Bangladesh.
For goodness sake, shape up and get professional!!

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by oracle]

mzia
July 18, 2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
SL is hammering the Indian bowling... and the cricinfo headline reads "Sri Lanka makes Steady Progress". If I wrote it it would have been "Sri Lanka Hammers Indian Bowling"

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by Hasib]
Sl has some how managed scrolling to 282 after losing 4 valuable wickets….

oracle
July 18, 2004, 08:53 AM
For goodness sake, shape up and get professional!!

Well. Having said that, hats off to people like Dileep for bringing some sense of reality and sound writing to that site.

Ahmed_B
July 18, 2004, 12:15 PM
:lol:.. you ppl r giving so so much importance to whtever crickinfo says or writes!!
this is really very funny..!!
Crickinfo is not Bible.. is it?!!

it is not even as important as u ppl r taking it to be for this discussion!!

there r 10000's of other cricket sites... pls follow them if crickinfo is unjust to BD (i hav no doubt that they are... and ppl here who r justifying crickinfo's report... pls take a more indepth look to crickinfo in the past.. how they hav been writing about BD )

wht crickinfo writes is actually for the Indians -their pleasure.. their own arrogant self-pride... elitism..

crickinfo is not for ppl other than Indians to read... so overlook it..!

Rho
July 18, 2004, 07:15 PM
cRow whatever dude. Pakistan did "brush" Bangladesh aside. 76 runs is a pretty good brushing.