PDA

View Full Version : Bulbul's interview

Nasif
December 5, 2002, 01:47 AM
Bulbul thinks cricketers during late 80s were legends. Accroding to him Ashraful, Kapali and other new generation players have to learn a lot before you can compare them with the likes of Akram or Minhazul!!! WTF.

Heres the link:
Bangladesher Khela's Bulbul interview (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strRefer=interviews&strItemPath=interviews%2F4%2Fbulbul%2Epdf)

[Edited on 5-12-2002 by nasif]

rafiq
December 5, 2002, 02:19 AM
i think he makes a very good point, however, that the lack of competitve cricket is hurting player development. we have gone backwards in that area haven't we. some of these players hardly play. yet we are a test playing nation. strange.

fwullah
December 5, 2002, 09:12 AM
May be there are a lot of differences between the standard of the players of 1980s and 2000s, but that is only according to ICC associate member level.

I think there has been no improvement at all since the 1980s.

If you look at the players' performance in ODI matches during the '80s, and try to find out the difference between them and the present players, you will find out that no improvemet has been achieved.

Only the current national players are getting more international matches, more exposure at the international level - the test level, rather than the standard of '80s cricketers being more highly rated.

Pundit
December 5, 2002, 05:21 PM
What is Bulbul's point behind such a comment ?

Who wants to be compared to Akram (khan) when the current players have the opportunity to be compared with (Wasim) Akram ? Not that anybody will be anytime soon, or ever !!

Bulbul's just stirring the pot..a little jealous, aren't we - oldies ???

[Edited on 5-12-2002 by Pundit]

Tehsin
December 5, 2002, 05:27 PM
It doesn't look like there is much change between the players then and now. They probably had more heart though. Half our current players don't seem intersted to play for the country.

As for the oldies being better. Give Kapali, Ash and the like couple of years and then we'll comment on it. My money is on the new breed because they are facing tougher teams. Don't forget that we have actually managed to score 150+ consistently (not much to brag about, I know) while the previous team used to think 100+ is a good score. :)

Nasif
December 5, 2002, 11:55 PM
I don't agree that there isn't any change. Players now are 1000% more fit to play. Our performance isn't getting better super quickly because our local league isn't that great and the calander isn't followed in organized fashion. But players now are miles ahead physically, mentally and technically of those so called "legends".

Sham
December 7, 2002, 05:39 AM
They are definitely more fit physically. As far as mentally and technically, I'm not too sure. Lets face it, our current players are not very fit mentally. And as far as technique is concerned, I don't think the current team has anyone to match Athar Ali Khan's technique. Maybe Kapali, havent seen much of him.

The thing is, it is hard to compare this bunch with the likes of Nannu and Akram. This bunch is getting a lot more exposure, playing on better wickets, have access to much better facilities than those guys ever had. The Nannus and Akrams had their best years well before Test Status. Had we gotten TS in 1990, we could have seen how they developed as Test cricketers. I think Nannu, Athar, Bulbul would have become decent Test cricketers, but the status came too late for them.