PDA

View Full Version : How about Gullu?

Rubu
July 17, 2004, 01:42 PM
Hay did any bd batsman ever scored 2 fifties back to back? Not only that even though we all were against him playing in the opening, because we all thought he's a test batsman. But he did score some runs and did it quick. Had more boundaries than anyone else, and top scorer twice. Also, if u see how he was out, none of them were silly. Now is it time again for us to think about opening pair keeping one end constant with JO?

Nasif
July 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
MJOBG is da'man!

:bravo:

200SX
July 17, 2004, 01:50 PM
he is simply like might jo (Javed Omar):)

Imtiaz
July 17, 2004, 01:58 PM
Given our vulnerability in batting at any position, Javed Omar's position should now be beyond discussion. I am also not quite sure what this "Test" team and "ODI" team really means as far as Bangladesh is concerned. Let's be realistic, we are not Australia, yet.

It should also not be overlooked, he is an excellent fielder. I hope he will be fit for Wednesday. The prospect does not look very bright at the moment.

Only one small problem: Do we really want to open the innings with a "golla". Could we not petition him to change his nickname or better start calling him, say, "Eksho".

mahbubH
July 17, 2004, 02:18 PM
I am pretty sure if JOB does not score in next THREE games, we will start talking to include AHS into the champions trophy tournament squad.... there are some problems in our batting.... Does anybody know what are those?

rassel
July 17, 2004, 03:11 PM
Omar is playing with real confidence. He is not like the rest of our top order batsmen, who behave erratically as soon as they get into the pitch. For example, bashar is always in a mood to hit every single ball. Alok as well- too excited he is running out of ideas. He needs to take some time off from cricket to get his confidence back. As far as rajin concern: he is just practing for the up coming test series. Most Overconfidence is Babu: I donít know if he is high or something. :drool:Anyway, rest of our boys seems to be doing just fine.

:umm:

cricketfan
July 17, 2004, 03:32 PM
Did any body notice that BD middle order has failed to pull its weight in both the matches. They wasted the good start given by Omar in both the matches. Middle order is the spine of any batting line up. In effect it has been spineless batting with the tail once again left to fight a losing battle.

Imtiaz
July 17, 2004, 03:36 PM
My preference remains a left hander [Faisal, otherwise Rana ] with Javed Omar. If that does not happen, then logically it must be Bashar.

As we all know, he will never change his manner and style of play, he might as well open in ODI's to take advantage of close-in field placings. Hopefully, some of the pulls and hooks will fall in no-man's land. There is no point protecting him as in tests [ which seldom materialises ]. He always appears to take up pre-determined feet positions expecting a short-pitch delivery. Today Sami virtually cut him up in half a couple of balls before he finally got him lbw. The ball before he got the benefit of doubt. In the first ODI in the WI, his first ball dismissal was embarrasing. Yet if he stays in for 20 overs, he will be in the 70's. Ashraful, Kapali and co. then might be able to convert that into a 250+. Otherwise, I cannot see Bangladesh winning a match against one of the "big boys".

[Edited on 17-7-2004 by Imtiaz]

Shehwar
July 17, 2004, 09:33 PM
I have alwayz been a great admirer of Javed's batting 'n the fact is he has performed better than other opening batsmen on most occasions and still he finds himself in and out of the ODI squad...PPl say he is slow...Now thats rubbish...We struggle to play 50 overs for cryin out loud and here we are dropping a player who ha the ability to stay at the wicket...We should stick with this guy..He was kept away from the national squad for such a stupid reason !!!

Zobair
July 17, 2004, 10:34 PM
Javed Omar has been the player of the Tournament so far for the Tigers.

:bravo:

Tintin
July 18, 2004, 10:32 AM
Hay did any bd batsman ever scored 2 fifties back to back?

This is only the third instance :

1. Akram Khan : 65* v Kenya & 50* v Zim, Dhaka, Meril International Tournament , March 1999

2. Minhajul Abedin : 68* v Scotland & 53* v Aus, 1999 World cup.

Abedin played only one more match in his career (the one against Pakistan)

Imtiaz
July 18, 2004, 02:27 PM
This is only the third instance :

1. Akram Khan : 65* v Kenya & 50* v Zim, Dhaka, Meril International Tournament , March 1999

2. Minhajul Abedin : 68* v Scotland & 53* v Aus, 1999 World cup.

Abedin played only one more match in his career (the one against Pakistan)
------------------------------------------------------

Surely, you mean one more match in the World Cup. In all he played 27 ODI's.

Tintin
July 18, 2004, 10:12 PM
What I intended to say was that these innings came at the end of his career. The three world cup matches mentioned were his 25th, 26th and 27th.

Link (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=1831;class=odiplayer;filt er=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=0;seaso n=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0; groundid=0;startdefault=1986-03-31;start=1986-03-31;enddefault=1999-05-31;end=1999-05-31;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;follow on=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;viewtype=bat_list;runslow=;runshigh=;batpositio n=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh= ;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wi cketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshi gh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow =;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewty pe)

blink
July 18, 2004, 10:22 PM
I rate the suggestions made by Imtiaz. I also think that Habibul should open otherwise Manju the lefty. I think Faisal as well could be given a chance since noone seems to be consistent (EXCEPT MAN OF THE HOUR GOLLA).

Habibul's scores as opener have always been above 15 so far except when he was runout for 6 and 13. Admittedly his highest is 25, but a quick 20-odd at the start of the order is what we desperately need, of course he will convert the odd start into a fifty over time. Also Rajin is best at 3, and leave Ash in the middle either at 4 with Habibul opening or 5 with Manju opening.