PDA

View Full Version : Down but certainly not out

TAIF
July 17, 2004, 08:21 PM
Despite the loss to Pakistan I think Bangladesh are still capable of causing a few upsets. With either Sri Lanka or India to play next the Tigers have a very good chance of beating any one of these teams who aren't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment. I also hope we meet Pakistan again and beat them.

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by TAIF]

rafiq
July 17, 2004, 08:36 PM
Of what I saw of last night's match, Bangladesh did not play well at well, save for the last 10 overs of the Pak innings, and the first 10 overs of our innings.

I think there are some marginal players on the team who are only there because someone is injured or some such reason. These players are not contributing to the team, and on their best day can score no more than 20 and maybe take a wicket or two. I would rather take a player who doesn't always do well but on his day can win the match for us.

ANother issue is the batting order. Mushfiq and Sujon are on the team as pacers and no longer as all-rounders, as they have not displayed an all-round talent in a while. So if they need to play, fine, but at least promote the guys who can bat - Rafique, Pilot, Raj, even Tapash is better on most days recently.

Whatmore could field the same 11 in the next match, but he has got to make some changes to the middle order batting - that is when we are not being able to press on.

Rubu
July 18, 2004, 12:06 AM
watching the match, i have to say, the turning point of the match was bashar's out. until then, JO as the hitter and ash as sheet anchor (exactly opposite of what we expected) were doing a decent job. they were even chasing the RRR. even when ash was out there were still chance if bashar could stay. but he went out. not a good out either. and the game went on for paksitan. the question is, why did bashar try to do the same thing with the ball, that he barely survived just before? the two balls were exactly same and bashar did the same thing. one very closely given not out. next, it was beyond doubt. this remain me WI. in one test match, he was given short ball, pulled the same way, catch dropped. the next ball, same kind he played the same way and this time catch was not dropped. i'm not trying to blame it all on bashar. but as he is the best player (therefore best hope) he should be more carful, more sensible and more responsible.

Zobair
July 18, 2004, 12:37 AM
One thing that struck me was that Bangladeshi batsmen (Omar, Ashraful, Kapali) looked really good with their shots and their defense. They hardly played any ugly hoicks. I am more and more convinced that Bangladeshi batsmen have what it takes technically to take on the best. Its a matter of believing in one's abilities and playing to a plan. The temperament was lacking in my opinion.

Zobair
July 18, 2004, 01:19 AM
Picking up the ones and twos and MINIMISING the dot balls. That should reduce the need to go for big shots, and unsettle the bowling side. So far we have had too many dot balls played out. That is particularly harmful when chasing.

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by pompous]

PoorFan
July 18, 2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
watching the match, i have to say, the turning point of the match was bashar's out. until then, JO as the hitter and ash as sheet anchor (exactly opposite of what we expected) were doing a decent job. they were even chasing the RRR. even when ash was out there were still chance if bashar could stay. but he went out. not a good out either. and the game went on for paksitan. the question is, why did bashar try to do the same thing with the ball, that he barely survived just before? the two balls were exactly same and bashar did the same thing. one very closely given not out. next, it was beyond doubt. this remain me WI. in one test match, he was given short ball, pulled the same way, catch dropped. the next ball, same kind he played the same way and this time catch was not dropped. i'm not trying to blame it all on bashar. but as he is the best player (therefore best hope) he should be more carful, more sensible and more responsible.
Yes, I also think the turning point was Bashar.
I mean he is the captain, he should stay there
longer considering the match situation.
He knows better then us, what will happen if he fall soon.
I also agree Bashar ( not only him )
do such things ( makaing same mistake ) often.
Is it comes from some kind of silly pride or what?
I dont know.

PoorFan
July 18, 2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by pompous
Picking up the ones and twos and MINIMISING the dot balls. That should reduce the need to go for big shots, and unsettle to the bowling side. So far we have had too many dot balls played out. That is particularly harmful when chasing.
Exactly what you said.

Ahmed_B
July 18, 2004, 07:13 AM
we may speak of a lot of hopes... but time and again, our team's weakness surfaces.
and that is our inconsistant batting.

i would say, the teams batting will get sound whn atleast 4 among the 6/7 batsmen of the team can make dependable consistant runs in big volume (50+) !!

at present.. the average number batsmen that can launch themselves in big matches is about 2 amont the 6/7.

this improvement will need time and hard work!

Zephaniah
July 18, 2004, 08:48 AM
First we should decide how we want our ODI team to be composed, then we'll pick up best pacers or spinners in form. I would not even blink my eyes to drop Mashrafee (when he plays) if he is not in form. But so far in his limited troubled career he's done fantastic job for Team Bangladesh.

Team target:
Obviously to continue improvement in all aspects of the game to shut our critics. To be honest BD no longer deserve to be kept on the cotton-bed. And it's all about winning - not participating or making numbers up. I think we need to establish some long term goals we need to achive rather than taking it series by series. What the rest of full members do is to target the next world cup because that's the biggest and the show piece event of ODI cricket and they do most of their 'R&D's in knock-out world cup in between. Team selection policy should be entirely based on long term goals.

Ideal ODI Team:
5 genuine batsmen : One opener should be hard hitting and another one is a grafter. Number 3 should be bit of both. For no.4 & no.5, ability to rotate the strike is the most important thing, that's how actually ODI's are to be played. If every batsman makes run-a-ball then it's 300 runs end of the day! Hit those loose balls or improvise shots when going gets tough otherwise, for God's shake, take singles and twos. I noticed lately our captain and some players have learnt to talk the talk but on field they don't walk the walk. Stop talking mates, just do it! please!
2 all-rounders : They have to command a place both with the bat or the ball. I guess we have had enough of those bits 'n pieces allrounders who can't bowl or bat.
We don't necessarily have to think of only pacer allrounder, If a SLA could do better , just pick him.
3 main bowlers :: Well bowlers are just doing fine at the moment.
And our wicket keeper. Why don't we try Masud at no.3? Bashar is our best batsman by miles in tests but not in ODIs. Average of a player tells you how good he is and Both Bashar and Masud have similar averages and experience in ODIs. May be it's about time to think about something radical?.....

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by Zephaniah]

TAIF
July 18, 2004, 08:58 AM
As an ODI opener Javed has surprised a lot of people. He has shown us that he can be reliable and aggressive as a batsman. He has been unlucky to be runout twice in the tournament but his confidence must be soaring high because he has got two 50's and hasn't been out to a bowler yet. I won't be surprised if he gets a ton in the next match. So for the next match I think we should bring in either Rana or Faisal to open with Javed and move Ash down to no. 4/5.

rafik
July 18, 2004, 09:22 PM
Next three matchs are important for us. We want to won atleast one.
:fanflag:

rafik
July 18, 2004, 09:24 PM
Asraful is not fit for opner. Try with Rana and drop Rajin. Rajin is not suitable for ODI.

vv_sunil
July 18, 2004, 11:24 PM
TAIF

As an ODI opener Javed has surprised a lot of people. He has shown us that he can be reliable and aggressive as a batsman. He has been unlucky to be runout twice in the tournament but his confidence must be soaring high because he has got two 50's and hasn't been out to a bowler yet. I won't be surprised if he gets a ton in the next match. So for the next match I think we should bring in either Rana or Faisal to open with Javed and move Ash down to no. 4/5.
============================

exactly, i was pointing-out since the beginning that javed is going to the best batsman, but many people doubted it. now he proved it and let others try to do that.

Ashraful is good in the middle orders and rana proved earlier he can open the innings and can build-up a good opening partnership.

Apart from that his bowling is a plus point and he proved the same in w.i. tour. he deserve a place in the team and keeping him out is not justified

Shish Ahmed
July 19, 2004, 04:23 AM
Javed has scored runs because he is a batsmen that likes to spend time at the crease. Unlike most of our other batsmen who are impatient and go for too many shots.

Even if score at 4.5runs per over for the first 40 overs = 180 with wickets in hand say 2/3 down in the las 10 overs BD can easily score 70 to 80 runs.

We must keep our wickets in hand!!

TAIF
July 19, 2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by rafik
Asraful is not fit for opner. Try with Rana and drop Rajin. Rajin is not suitable for ODI.

I agree that Rajin's bat isn't exactly flowing with runs at the moment but you have to remember he has the ability to occupy the crease for long periods. I think he should be given an anchor role with all other batsmen batting around him, this will give stability to the innings. Rajin also has the ability to run quick singles which are precious in ODI's. He is also one of our best fielders. I also agree with Shish that we need to keep wickets in hand for the first 40 overs to have any chance of posting a challenging total and the only way this is possible is to have good stable batsmen like Javed and Rajin at the top of the order.