PDA

View Full Version : Our chances against India

samiur666
July 19, 2004, 12:59 AM
I for one am particularly worried about what our are performance is going be against India. Looking at the two games that India played, it is quite apparent that their players are lacking in match practice and suffering as a result. But this will not last forever. Tendulkar and Sehwag have been out in both games quite cheaply and it is in their nature to come back with big innings and I have a sinking feeling that it will be against Bangladesh. Not taking anything away from our current bowling squad, I do not believe there is enough pace, guile or talent to tackle the Juggernaut that India's batting order has been in the recent past. We desperately needed our injured pace trio and I can only hope to see them in action, well rested and fully fit, in the Champions Trophy. If we allow India to post a massive total in the game, there is absolutely no hope for us to even put up a decent fight. With Dravid in the scintillating form that he is in, and with Tendulkar and Sehwag each due for a big score, the possibility of them scoring in the 280 to 300+ range is quite high. That brings us to our batting. No matter how talented many of us would like to think our batsmen are, they all have a couple of glaring shortcomings. Firstly, none of them seem the least bit inclined to play in the V. The sign of a good batsmen is in his ability to play straight and that is also the technique any coach in this world would exhort each and every one of his batsmen to follow. This piece of knowledge does not seem to be so readily apparent to our batsmen for some reason and it was painfully clear in our game against Hong Kong. In a game where we were the favorites to win, and win convincingly, our batsmen proceeded to gift their wickets to the inexperienced HK attack with alarming frequency and reckless abandon. One has to wonder why so many of our batsmen were out trying to guide the ball to third man, or even more importantly why such a vast portion of our runs came behind the wicket on that day. No one with the exception of Pilot seemed inclined to use his feet to come down to the pitch of the ball and hit the HK bowlers straight. Instead they were more interested in playing low percentage shots behind the wicket. Delicate late cuts and cheeky deflections to third man look good on TV but by definition they are low percentage shots and are more likely to cause the fall of a wicket as opposed to the scoring of runs. What was even more alarming than this apparent inability to play straight was the fact that the batsmen waiting in the pavilion did not learn from their predecessors' mistakes or no one pointed it out to them. The second shortcoming is one which has tormented us for as long as we have been playing cricket. This is our complete ineptitude at picking singles and rotating the strike. Our batsmen seem contect to block our over after over rather than show a little urgency and take quick singles. When they do decide to try to pick off a single, it is not by playing straight but again, through that risky late cut shot. How hard would it have been for our batsmen to have milked the HK spinners by driving to mid off or mid on? It was shameful to see a group of club cricketers in the 30th over of a one day match having 6 or 7 fielders surrounding our batsmen and completely choking them off. Could no one think of perhaps a few lofted shots to disturb the rythm and give the HK captain a few more things to think of? These factors coupled with the fact that our middle order does not seem to have the temperament or the ability to form substantial partnerships is a very worrying sign for the future of our one day performances. The shortcomings were brought to light again in the game against Pakistan and one can only assume that they will not magically disappear in time for the India game. Without a change in this department, our performances will the bat will remain erratic and below par. I am not as worried about the bowling because they bowled creditably against HK and restricting Pakistan to a 250 odd score was satisfactory. With the return of Mashrafee, Sharif and Talha we may have a fairly decent one day attack. However, no matter how good our bowling gets, most international teams will score atleast 230-260 runs on sub continental pitches. That is considered an average score by modern standards. Without the batting to follow it up, we will never be able to chase such a target against any of these teams. Also, if we bat first, we will never have enough runs on the board to allow our bowlers to win a game for us. Even the best bowling side needs a total they can bowl and defend. A score of 180, 190 or even 220 (which is the maximum that our batsmen seem able to muster up) is certainly not enough. I am sure Dav is aware of these issues and I have the outmost confidence in his abilities as a coach to recitfy these issues. If this post seems somewhat negative towards our team, it is with good reason. However I have attempted to offer creative criticism as opposed to an emotional diatribe which does no one any good. I have no doubts that we have progressed considerably in the last few months but there is a long way to go yet. I mention this specifically because of some posts I read on this forum where members predicted wins against the three big guns in this tournament. I wish I could be as optimistic as you gentlemen. We need to temper our expecations in relation to our performances, and right now the gap between us and the rest of the test playing nations in the tournament seem quite apparent to me. Having said all this, I wish them the all success. I will keep my fingers crossed and like every other die hard Bangladeshi fan I will hope for the best and expect the worst.

[Edited on 19-7-2004 by samiur666]

[Edited on 19-7-2004 by samiur666]

chinaman
July 19, 2004, 01:28 AM
May we publish it as a front page article?

samiur666
July 19, 2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by chinaman
May we publish it as a front page article?

Sure. I have no problems with that.

chinaman
July 19, 2004, 01:33 AM
Please stay online for few min. I'll send you couple of u2us. Thanks.

Navarene
July 19, 2004, 08:36 AM
One of the best articles I have read in Banglacricket. I wish this piece of substantial analysis/critique would be handed to every single players of BD team to get their facts right.

Thank you, samiur666. We look for more rich articles from you in the future.

cricketfan
July 19, 2004, 08:48 AM
Superb. I must say I have learnt a great deal about cricket by reading this post. Such an article will do good to budding cricketers all over the world, not just BD. If some one decides to write a textbook on coaching, this article will surely find an honourable mention. Keep it up.

Navarene
July 19, 2004, 09:07 AM
Keeping in mind all the limitations we have compare to India in every department, I'd still love to believe that BD can win this match if, and only if they win the toss, bat first and manage to set a target of odd 240/250 runs. The rest will be taken care of by our bowlers.

I reckon chances to win on wednesday is 40% if tigers bat first. 0% chance to win if India bat first, since we are horrible at chasing the target no matter how few runs India score.

AsifTheManRahman
July 19, 2004, 09:36 AM
Well I'd say that our chances against India are pretty thin. Our batsmen will have to do well (definitely better than they have in a long time) and we will have to bat first.

paco
July 19, 2004, 10:51 AM
Why don't we forward samiur666's analysis to the team management as a "fans perspective" ?

samiur666
July 19, 2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your comments guys. Your feedback was flattering and greatly appreciated. :P

nasifkhan
July 19, 2004, 12:43 PM
Well written...

I think honestly..... BD have no chance agaisnt India.

Currently Indian team is too strong ...

I am expecting a good fight against them.

al Furqaan
July 19, 2004, 06:42 PM
samiur's comments about our batting are absolutely correct....BD batsmen love to flick the ball behind the wickets...hit the ball down the field for pete's sake!!!

PoorFan
July 20, 2004, 06:59 AM
Very positive and cool analysis of BD team.
love to see more on game plan, both ODI and test.

Imtiaz
July 20, 2004, 07:59 AM
Excellent article by Samiur.

Sehwag and Co. thrives on pace. Unless the pace is allied with superb control and accuracy, any pace will be converted into runs by Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid.... need I go on. As we do not have high quality pacemen though Tapash is reasonable, it is imperative that we drop Mahmud and bring in Rana. Even when slow bowling is mediocre, the onus to hit shifts to the batsmen as they cannot use the pace of the ball. The chances of mistakes increase.

Sadly, Rafique lately has become a slow-medium bowler with consequent detriment to the quality of his bowling.

Razzak, Rana and Rafique might go for a couple of sixes but the number of fours will be greatly reduced. I would not worry too much that they are all slow left armers. There is nothing much we can do if we have not got quality slow right armers.

The batting will also strengthen as a result. So the team should be:

Bashar
Rana
Ashraful
Saleh
Faisal
Kapali
Mashud
Mushfique
Rafique
Tapash
Razzak

Rajin Saleh keeps his place only due to Javed Omar's injury. Rana and Alok can share the 10 overs. Even an over or two from Saleh, if need be.

I explained my reason for Bashar opening in a previous thread. As he is going to attack regardless, he might as well open. I do think that he could be vulnerable to Pathan. Thank God, Hannan Sarkar is not playing. He would have been a prime candidate for a sitting duck !

Nibbling outside the off-stump should stop. Why do I think that it won't.

Well, only a few hours to go. I am looking forward to, at least, some competition.