PDA

View Full Version : Javed Omar’s Alternative for tomorrow’s match

Shehwar
July 20, 2004, 04:52 AM
According to Prothom Alo Javed Omar, our best batsman in this tournament will not be able to play any further part in it. That really is a big blow to our fragile batting line up. So I was just wondering who will fill into his boots! I feel Khaled Mashud would be a good choice. The guy plays with a straight bat and has the ability to leave a lot of balls outside the off stump just like a traditional opener. In the first two matches we hardly scored any runs in the “V”. But I reckon if he is given the opportunity, He’ll definitely change that. We should properly utilize the batting talents of this gutsy cricketer. If you folks don’t agree on that then my second choice would be Rajin Saleh. He is technically very correct just like Javed and has a wider range of shots. If I remember correctly, he played a vintage knock of 60 odd in one of the matches in the last ODI series against Pakistan. On that occasion he had come in within the first 5 overs and played one of the best ODI innings produced by a Bangladeshi batsman in terms of quality. His strokes on that innings were of similar class to that produced by Aravinda De Silva against India in that 96 World Cup semifinal. And people who saw that innings of Rajin would know that I’m not exaggerating one bit. So the bottom line is he should be given the opportunity to come in as early as possible. As far as the other opener is concerned, well we have no other choice. People might talk about Rana but I feel he is not top order material even though he got that scratchy half century against Zimbabwe. So I would stick with Ashraful but ideally I would love to see him attacking a bit more. Looks like he has gotten into his shell. I want him to come out of it. The lad is getting out for single digit scores anyway. So I reckon if he goes hard at the Indians right from the word go and if it comes off, we just might get into a roll. So this is how my team will look like tomorrow. What do u think ppl?

Ashraful
Khaled Mashud
Rajin Saleh
Habibul Bashar
Foysal Hossain
Alok Kapali / Manjarul Rana
Mushfiqur
Rafique
Khaled Mahmud
Tapash
Abdur Razzaq

James90
July 20, 2004, 06:12 AM
1.Ashraful
2.Rana
3.Habib
4.Rajin
5.Alok
6.Rafique
7.Mahmud
8.Mashud
9.Mushfiqur
10.Tapash
11.Tareq

I'm presuming that Razzaq will not be available?

rockpundit
July 20, 2004, 07:59 AM
Shehwar, Ill have tp disagree with you on this one. Mashud bhai is a wonderful player of spin and has a definite weakness to pace (as was exposed against pak). So therefor I think our best shot would be to bring in rana or faisal OR push up Habib Bhai

Zobair
July 20, 2004, 09:23 AM
spot on! Masud is not the best player of pace.

Originally posted by rockpundit
Shehwar, Ill have tp disagree with you on this one. Mashud bhai is a wonderful player of spin and has a definite weakness to pace (as was exposed against pak). So therefor I think our best shot would be to bring in rana or faisal OR push up Habib Bhai

TAIF
July 20, 2004, 09:37 AM
I think that both Faisal and Rana Should open the batting, they are both aggressive batsmen who can accumulate the run rate in the first 15 overs especially against a weaker Indian bowling attack.

mahbubH
July 20, 2004, 09:54 AM
I found Faisal as an opener in lot of posts recently but did not see any comments from the team management or BD media about the possibility of Faisal as an opener. Even I do not know whether Faisal ever opened innings in national or Dhaka league.
I guess someone must know . Can anybody post related info, if there is any, which makes Faisal as a candidate for the opening position?