PDA

View Full Version : Scores: U19 vs ECB XI 3 day game

chinaman
July 24, 2004, 09:54 AM
Coach McInnes sent the following report (thanks coach):

Scores from Day 1 of 3 day game vs ECB XI

ECB won toss and batted first and started well before Nadif Chowdhury picked up the first wicket, caught behind off his medium pace bowling. In the next over he had the other opener dropped and so should have had two early wickets. He did however pick up his second wicket not long after to have England 2 for 45.

Rajib, bowled with good pace at the other end, but depsite many plays and misses and edges, the batsmen survived.

Harmison and O' Shea then added 196 in a very good partneship that had Bangladesh on the back foot.

The BD team fought back well. In the hour before tea, BD took 5 wickets for minimal runs through some aggressive field settings and positive bowling.

The ECB XI were eventually bowled out for 337 from 94 overs.

Nadif Chowdhury picked up 5 for 81 from 29 and Enamul Haque 3 for 89 from 29 overs. Ashim Chowdhur also picked up 2 for 44 from 10. Israq Sonnet bowled very well, but was extremely unlucky not to claim a wicket with 0 for 38 from 14 overs. He beat the bat repeatedly but could not get an edge.

Bangladesh dropped a number of chances in the first hour of the day which allowed England to get away. This was the only dissapointing aspect of the days play.

Bangladesh then had to bat for 10 overs late in the day which can always be a dangerous time, however Nafees Ahmed and Nafee Iqbal both handled it well and raced to 0 for 42 from 10 0vers at stumps.

[Edited on 7-24-2004 by chinaman]

mahbubH
July 24, 2004, 10:05 AM
104 overs in a day ... pretty long . Lot of runs good cricket .. nice to see the comeback of BD juniors.

I thought Nadif is a left arm orthodox spinner (probably who has some prob with bowling action) ... now he bowls medium pace?

Thx coach for the report!

AsifTheManRahman
July 24, 2004, 10:16 AM
Rajib's damn unlucky man...

anyways...pretty good bowling performance...btw how fast is Nadif? I know he's a medium pacer...but how fast?

good job from the batsmen as well...i thin the senior team should be sent to tours along with the U 19 team, as spectators to learn from the juniors. i'm pretty sure that had this been a test match, our national team top order would have collapsed within those 10 overs.

Piranha
July 24, 2004, 11:08 AM
Thr survival within the last 10 overs was most impressive. BD seniors would surely have lost 2 or more wickets by then.

Well done juniors and well done coach! Keep us posted.:joy:

Zobair
July 24, 2004, 12:31 PM
Good start by the cubs :) Hopefully they can go on and put on a solid score up tomorrow.

Thanks coach.

chinaman
July 24, 2004, 01:19 PM
As sent by coach:

Starting from 0 for 42 overnight, progressed to 165 before losing Nafees Iqbal for 93 from 98 balls. Nafees Ahmed fell soon after for 76 from 119 balls with the score on 170.

Aftab and Dhiman then added 58 before Aftab was out hooking first over after lunch to fall for 26. Dissapointing again after a good start. Dhiman then fell for 43. All players then made starts with Nadif 23, Nazim 11, Shamsu Rahman batted well for 27 before falling trying to get the target prior to tea.

Bangladesh then declared at 8 for 338 just after tea.

ECB XI batting again were 1 for 55 at stumps after Bangladesh missed two early chances, which would have placed then in the drivers seat for day 3.
Nadif Chowdhury picked up the only wicket to fall. Rajib and Sonnet both bowled very well in the early overs, with Rajib not bowling any no balls.

Scores as follows

Nafees Iqbal: 93
Nafees Ahmed: 76
Afatab Ahmed: 26
Dhiman Ghosh: 43
Nadif Chowdhury: 23
Nazim Uddin: 11
Shamsu Rahman: 27
Mushfiqur Rahim: 30 not out
Enamul Haque: 0
Israq Sonnet: 8 not out

Total 8 decl for 338

Zobair
July 24, 2004, 01:30 PM
Wow! Nadif on fire! :fire:

Well done to Nafis and Nafees! Could this be our future left-right opening pair? :)

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by pompous]

Mueid
July 24, 2004, 01:36 PM
impresive battin by both nafeeses n dhiman..jus bad luck nafees iqbal cudnt reach his 100...but they seriously gota improve theier feildin..gud luck to them

shovon13
July 24, 2004, 07:42 PM
yea..good luck to them

i was also impressed by them declaring at 338, looks like they want nothing below a win..

rajibpaulrana
July 24, 2004, 07:58 PM
we should play them in the senior side and also demote the seniors

200SX
July 24, 2004, 10:46 PM
its realy good newz when, seniors r sinking us........ at least a good consolation aftr end of da day tht we r havin good future...........well done cubs.......thnx for ur xtreme performence....:fanflag:

Zephaniah
July 25, 2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
104 overs in a day ... pretty long . Lot of runs good cricket .. nice to see the comeback of BD juniors.

I thought Nadif is a left arm orthodox spinner (probably who has some prob with bowling action) ... now he bowls medium pace?

Thx coach for the report!

Nadif, a left-arm spinner, sent down accurate medium pacers to leave the hosts reeling at 45 for two before the partnership pulled them back into the game. Versatile Nadif, who is also a decent batsman, ended the day with figures of five for 81 from 29 overs.
Source:NewAge

Nadif Chowdhury also scored 23 runs.

This dude reminds me of Colin Miller.

mahbubH
July 25, 2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by rajibpaulrana
we should play them in the senior side and also demote the seniors

To do this, we should at least wait till their match with England U-19. Our seniors performance in practice matches are not bad. I am hoping to see some good performance from our juniors against England U19 in the tests and ODIs.

rockpundit
July 25, 2004, 06:14 AM
Ok , Im noticing some hypocrisy here. As soon as our senior side plays well in a match , everyone showers them with praise but whenever they fail to impress, everyone starts talking trash like "demote them to the junior team" I suggest that if there isnt anything constructive to say , its better not to say anything at all.

[]

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by pompous : easy! lets attack the message not the messenger]

potshot
July 25, 2004, 07:48 AM
It is a bit premature to consider the U-19s fit for senior duty. Let them prove themselves in the age group matches and then in A matches. Their immediate test will come when they face the England U-19 team. If I am not mistaken, the U-19 team had as poor a performance in U-19 Asia cup last year and then in U-19 world cup held at BD earlier this year as the seniors are having in Asia cup. In U-19 Asia cup, they were bowled out for 30+ against the bowling of Irfan Pathan.They had failed to qualify for the elite group in the U-19 world cup along with Australia.

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by potshot]

Ibrahim
July 25, 2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by rockpundit
Ok , Im noticing some hypocrisy here. As soon as our senior side plays well in a match , everyone showers them with praise but whenever they fail to impress, everyone starts talking trash like "demote them to the junior team" I suggest that if there isnt anything constructive to say , its better not to say anything at all.

Its better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think youre a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I think we should not tell anyone to shut up. Personally, I like opinion from different people, which helps to make a perfect decision in any issue. Tiger fans should keep shouting or yelling for the better performance.

I would like to say that we should changes our seniors as soon as possible until we get the real talent. So far we have got only two real talent batsmen, ASH and BASH.

bhobishshot
July 25, 2004, 09:50 AM
It is a bit premature to consider the U-19s fit for senior duty. Let them prove themselves in the age group matches and then in A matches. Their immediate test will come when they face the England U-19 team. If I am not mistaken, the U-19 team had as poor a performance in U-19 Asia cup last year and then in U-19 world cup held at BD earlier this year as the seniors are having in Asia cup. In U-19 Asia cup, they were bowled out for 30+ against the bowling of Irfan Pathan.They had failed to qualify for the elite group in the U-19 world cup along with Australia.

There is a huge difference between the U19 team that played in Aisa cup and this one. Our current U19 coach did not get a lot of time to train the kids before the Asia cup. These group of players has been under training by the current coach for some time now. I beleive our current coach, Richard Mcinnes, is making a difference. I am positive we will be very competetive against the U19 team when we play them.

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by bhobishshot]

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by bhobishshot]

chinaman
July 25, 2004, 01:07 PM
Coach sent the following report:

England resumed at 1 for 55 overnight and batted on to declare at 224 for 4. Rubiayat Huq picked up 2 wickets, Nadif Chowdhury 1 and Rajib 1.

This set Bangladesh 224 for victory in 42 overs.

Nafees Ahmed (Abir) and Shamsu Rahman, who opened in place of Nafees Iqbal who has a slight thigh strain, added 173 for the opening stand from 34 overs to set the match up for Bangladesh.

Nafees Ahmed was dismissed on 99 caught at deep mid off. Shamsu Rahman and Nazim Uddin then finished the job with 3 balls to spare.

Shamsu Rahman finished 88 not out and Nazim Uddin 29 not out.

The batting order was changed in order to give Nazim Uddin and Shamsu Rahman an opportunity to press for selection in the test team. Both players responded well which creates a good dilema for the selection panel.

Bangldesh now head to the first test at Headingley confident but realising that the England U19 team will be a stern test. The team in this match contained the players who missed selection in the U19 test team. They were a good opposition with all players playing for County 2nd XI but the National U19 team will be stronger again.

Nafees Ahmed: 99
Shamsu Rahman: 88 not out
Nazim Uddin: 29 not out

Total: 1 for 224 from 41.3 overs

nasifkhan
July 25, 2004, 01:11 PM
Great....

Congrats to the U19 team..

Well Played...

Bad luck for Nafees Ahmed.

Zobair
July 25, 2004, 01:14 PM
Well! A hundred percent warmup record isn't all that bad but England U19 should be a much tougher ask. What has been most impressive so far about this U19 of ours is the aggressive and positive batting. They have set and chased totals very very aggressively, obviously not afraid to go for their shots. Hopefully England U19 will give us a good run for our money :P

Habibul_bashar
July 25, 2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by nasifkhan
Great....

Congrats to the U19 team..

Well Played...

Bad luck for Nafees Ahmed.
Well played by U19 team.Not like bangladesh Inter team
:great:

rassel
July 25, 2004, 01:31 PM
Great going by our U-19 team.

:clap::clap:

mahbubH
July 25, 2004, 01:37 PM
Great win! Hope to get some good news in the tests! Nafees Ahmed must like the English condition who already played some 70+ innings. Keep it up.

Zobair
July 25, 2004, 01:39 PM
The more I think of this win the more it amazes me! They chased down the target at nearly 5.5 runs per over losing only one wicket and with only three balls to spare. Do I detect some steel?

Habibul_bashar
July 25, 2004, 01:41 PM
Very well bangladesh U-19 team.
They are the re....(tiger):tiger: U-19 team.

:clap:

Zephaniah
July 25, 2004, 01:47 PM
Great win. Hope they'll be able to translate this form to test matches. Otherwise all these wins would not count much.

Didn't Nafees Ahmed score a century against NewZealand U-19 at BKSP in a practice match prior to U-19 would cup? It seems he is remarkably consistant, already scored few 70+ innings in this tour. Then again test and ODI matches would count only.

Congrats to BD U-19. Keep up.
:clap::clap::clap:

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by Zephaniah : claps]

Habibul_bashar
July 25, 2004, 01:55 PM
well done our young tiger.Now you are a tiger:fanflag:

rassel
July 25, 2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Habibul_bashar

ok, We gat the point nishy! you love tiger as well!!!:duh:

rio
July 25, 2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Zephaniah

Didn't Nafees Ahmed score a century against NewZealand U-19 at BKSP in a practice match prior to U-19 would cup
[Edited on 25-7-2004 by Zephaniah : claps]

He made the century against the Indian U-19 team.

[Edited on 25-7-2004 by rio]

Habibul_bashar
July 25, 2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by rassel
Originally posted by Habibul_bashar

ok, We gat the point nishy! you love tiger as well!!!:duh:
I don,t know what you telling?Who is nishy:-/

TAIF
July 25, 2004, 07:33 PM
Well done boys :bravo::bravo::bravo:

Piranha
July 25, 2004, 07:54 PM
Excellent...excellent...this is amazing news! I thought the match was headed for a dull draw. These guys are doing well. Congrats!:clap:

...looking forward to our performance against the Eng U-19...:lol:

TAIF
July 25, 2004, 08:08 PM
Cook to skipper England u19

http://www.ecb.co.uk/england/side-named-to-face-bangladesh-u19.html

PoorFan
July 25, 2004, 08:50 PM
Nice to see that they win after chasing the target
224 in 42 overs with a loss only 1 wicket.
Like a very good ODI match.
Hope to see the same with England-U19 test and ODI

AsifTheManRahman
July 26, 2004, 12:15 AM
good stuff...

however, i'm still waiting for the clash with the U-19 team...should be a good contest...

btw are these matches treated as first class games?

Hasib
July 26, 2004, 02:19 AM
Can someone please answer this question... how many years is it going to be do you guys think before International Cricket from around the world will be dominated by the players of the current under 19 teams?

btw crongats Bangladesh under 19 :)

[Edited on 26-7-2004 by Hasib : I put too many icons in...]

amit(a huge BD fan)
July 26, 2004, 02:48 AM
well played bd u-19

:great::great::great:

AsifTheManRahman
July 26, 2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
Can someone please answer this question... how many years is it going to be do you guys think before International Cricket from around the world will be dominated by the players of the current under 19 teams?

btw crongats Bangladesh under 19 :)

[Edited on 26-7-2004 by Hasib : I put too many icons in...]

Well I think it will not happen in the near future.

The reason behind making this remark is that too often, people who have performed exceptionally in the U-19 level have failed in the international level, and got lost forever.

[Edited on 26-7-2004 by AsifTheManRahman]

Hasib
July 26, 2004, 03:40 AM
I wasnt saying bring them in right now... what i meant was that how many years down the track will it roughly be before international cricket... any country... is dominated by the majority who play under 19 cricket now.

Ibrahim
July 26, 2004, 06:12 AM
For sure the BD senior team probably lost 5/6 wickets if they chase these runs against the same team.

Originally posted by chinaman
Coach sent the following report:

.......This set Bangladesh 224 for victory in 42 overs.

Total: 1 for 224 from 41.3 overs

200SX
July 26, 2004, 09:09 AM
hmm.......a great win by the juniors as well as a great example for the seniors, how to win a match..:great::great::great:job boyz

Ahmed_B
July 26, 2004, 09:40 AM
...It's probably very much unfair to compare between the Senior team n Junior teams performances like this..

The journey from Junior to Senior levels.. is a long tough one and these levels r totally different in terms of Competetiveness/Fine Tuning/Match Pressure/Funding/Media interest.. and many other ways!!

All the current senior players hav previously performed well in their junior levels and only then they entered the Main team !! there must be some very big reason behind their not doing well enough in comparison!:-/

AsifTheManRahman
July 26, 2004, 10:05 AM
back to back three quarter centuries for nafees ahmed...good stuff...

yeah i agree with u...these guys do good in the u 19 level but fail to perform in the national team...

tnb
July 26, 2004, 10:08 AM
A great win. Finally some good and inspirational news. Congrats to the Coach and the players.

Even though the players in the current senior team has good record during their junior years, that was sporadic in nature.
This junior team is quite consistent in their performance, at least as far as I can recall.

(I would have liked to see how Nafis Iqbal performs in this kind of situation. Nafees Ahmed looks like a good find for us.)

rafiq
July 26, 2004, 11:36 AM
a difference between current and past junior teams: the current team has better coaching, more training and plays against better competition on a more regular basis. as a result these players will be better prepared when their time comes to play at a higher level. Current national team players who are very young were thrust into the senior team without the benefit of much preparation at junior levels. as a result they have been learning on the job.

Bangla Mostan
July 26, 2004, 01:30 PM
what we have to understand is that this U-19 is our future for Bangladeshi cricket, so w have to nurture them as much as possible, so they can produce results like todays one.

This with a good coach will mature these players very quickly and that is what we need.

As for our senior players, only a handfull of them can improve as the rest are at their peak. It is the next generation of youngsters that we will see the next Tendulkar or Dravid, of Hayden, so what we have to do is sit tight and observe our U-19, take the limelight slowly!!:joy:

C'mon Banglaesh Juniors (Juniors for now!!!) :fanflag:

Asif
July 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
Very gooooood youngsters .. show your elders (BD Int'l team) how to play cricket :great: :bravo: :great: :bravo: :great: :bravo:

Bangla Mostan
July 27, 2004, 04:28 PM
Amrar Baigna bala khelayra...Khali amrar boro bhaisab ula kelai ta parsonn na!!

Dont worry maybe next time we (seniors) will play as impressive as the juniors.:fire::flag::fanflag::tiger: