PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks Khaled needs good speech therapy!

Nasif
December 7, 2002, 04:37 PM
This guy needs to calm down when he is giving interview. Everytime he talks in the post match interview, he talks so fast that it becomes blah blah blah.... at the end. I know his English is weak, but even then he could speak better if he speaks slowly.

I thought Naimur was better speaker when he was captain, Aminul and Akram was just ok.

Sham
December 7, 2002, 04:41 PM
Akram couldnt speak at all. He used to have this stupid smile on his face. Aminul was okay, Durjoy was definitely the best.

Orpheus
December 7, 2002, 04:54 PM
Khaled Mahmud is also good. This observatgion is from his post-pak-victory interview at 99 world cup. The problem is what they say. Everyone says the same thing. Whatever Aminul said, Khaled said the same thing. They kept mentioning the prize offered by the prime minister. Stupid AS$!!

Tehsin
December 7, 2002, 05:06 PM
One of the MAIN reasons he was picked as the captain was because he is supposedly better then the rest when it came to speech (in english off course).

Sham
December 7, 2002, 05:17 PM
What a dumb reason to appoint someone as the captain. He can't really bat or bowl, does not inspire the team, doesn't really know how to change his bowlers or place his fielders, but hey, he speaks decent English so lets make him captain. Only in Bangladesh!!

Shubho
December 8, 2002, 09:29 AM
You don't pick anybody as captain on the basis of his oral ability in English.

What I think ought to happen right after this test series, is for the BCB to hire an Image consultant and an English/Elocution tutor for the BD squad.

The Image consultant will advise them on how to look less GRAMMO (agrarian). The English or Elocution tutor will tell them to slow down their speech, not to mumble, but to speak up, and talk sense. The image consultant might like to complement this by telling them what the right things to say are. Instead of saying the same s*** over and over again, we could try saying something more substantial next time.

fwullah
December 8, 2002, 10:18 AM
They don't need image consultants or tutors.

All they need is a must for each and every former and current national player to take a spoken english course in say British Council when they are not playing in a tour or a tournament.

With the amount of tours and tournaments that Bangladesh is participating, Khaled Mashud would definitely get more practice on his English and with the help of the spoken english course in British council, he could become a much better English speaker within a season.

Pundit
December 8, 2002, 11:14 AM
I would rather that the batsmen's batting did the good talking and the bowler's bowling did the good talking !!!

Oh, you all come on - even w akram was an absolute dodo 10 yrs back - remember him in melbourne after the wc finals in 92, he just walks over to the dias ffor the m-o-m, nods, nods, grin, grin, and almost stumbles before getting back with his team.

This was after 8 yrs of tcricket already.

Tehsin, where did u ever hear about Naimur's ascendency just because of his English skills - I hope this isn't a way to increase the posting vol.

Just a joke - forgive me bro.

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 03:29 PM
Our captain doesn't NEED to speak in English. Let them get a Bangla-to-English interpreter if they are so inclined to know about what our captain thought of the match. We are not Indians/Srilankans/Pakistanis who have to speak in English anyway because of the multitude of languages ( Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Sinhalese, Punjabi, Beluchi, Urdu, whatnot) in their countries. We, Bangladeshis, ALL speak in Bangla and we need not speak in English (mind you I said "speak", not "learn"...we definitely need to learn English in order to understand what those bastards are cooking up).

Sham
December 8, 2002, 05:00 PM
I agree with Arnab and Pundit. I don't care if our players can't speak good English. If they could just play properly, that would suit me just fine. Azharuddin mumbled his way through years of captaincy. And by God, have any of you heard some of the Pakis? When Saqlain stutters and mumbles, its fine because he lets his bowling do the talking. If we could just let our cricket do the talking, I wouldnt waste time sending them to English tutorials or speech therapists.

Shubho
December 8, 2002, 05:35 PM
Why this complete lack of interest in wanting to learn how to express yourself properly? English is a very simple language. Grammatically and orthographically speaking a whole lot easier than Bangla. Besides a speech therapist/language tutor is not a massive investment of either time or money. They time Khaled Mashud or any other team member would spend smoking pot or humping his spouse (or any significant other) could also be used constructively (in the nation's interest) for better elocution. This will portray a more professional approach of our cricketers, and will be the FIRST (of many) steps for the cricketing world to take us seriously. Again, I'm not saying this will make us more professional alone, but it is the FIRST OF MANY steps.

Orpheus
December 8, 2002, 06:33 PM
I think I get what shubho is trying to say. It's not necessary to speak at all but when you do, it doesn't hurt to sound smart. After all it's all about image, whether you win a game, play with styles or be articulate.
I don't know why but I still feel har-baba-jaan is a joke because of his pagri.

Arnab, if we learn english, we should also learn how to speak too. That's the only way you can communicate. I don't know why you saying srilankans, paks and Indians are obligated to speak in english -Bangladesh too has different languages - (try understanding chittagonians sometimes). Apart from Srilankans, not many Indians and Pakistanis know how to speak in English either. Bangladeshis should be better because that is our second official language.

Lastly, Give Mashud a break. West Indians mummbles too. I couldn't understand a single word the west indian dude was saying. And english is their first language.

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 06:41 PM
The Cricketing world will take us seriously only if we show them we are good players...not good English speakers. We know many Americans learn how to speak Japanese and German every year for the purpose of business. Why? Cuz the Japanese and the Germans has gotten so better businesswise that these proud yankees are forced to learn foreign languages. We need to find our own backbone. And that's only possible by showing on the field that we don't take $hit in any way. We need to do our best and the rest of the world can f$%* off!

[Edited on 8-12-2002 by Arnab]

Sham
December 8, 2002, 06:50 PM
Orpheus, I have met very few Indians who do not speak English. Yes, I am sure in the backward villages of Bihar and Orissa, they dont speak English much, but Arnab is right, because of their multitudes of languages, Indians by and large speak enough English to communicate with each other. I mean, you go to the streets of Delhi or Madras and the man on the street can carry on a conversation in English. Their pronounciation might suck, but their grammer is pretty impressive. You bring up a good point about Chittagonians, but its still easier for us to understand them than it is for a Punjabi speaker to understand Tamil.

That however does not mean that we shouldn't learn to speak in English. I would be much happier if Masud spoke good English, and if all our players spoke good English, but at a time like this, when we can't even score 150 against an inexperienced attack on our own pitches, it seems a bit out of place to be discussing the language proficiencies of our players.

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 06:53 PM
Again, to stress my point:

We need to get good at what we are supposed to do, playing GOOD cricket.

We need to take pride in whatever we do.

Since we are so good and so proud of it, THEY will come to us and communicate with us, not the other way around.

Speaking polished English is unnecessary if you show to the world that you are proud of your language and don't fear showing it to the world. That's a way better trait to have than being a polished speaker in another language. That shows you have backbone. You don't take any shyt from other people. You just don't because you know you are so damn good. Our players need to achieve this state of mind.

and lastly: As you think, you become.

[Edited on 8-12-2002 by Arnab]

Pundit
December 8, 2002, 07:06 PM
Arnab - THOSE ARE DEFINITELY THE BEST FEW WORDS THAT ANYONE IN THIS BOARD HAS EVER MUTTERED !

I agree, entirely. Be good at what you do, and the entire world will follow. Any bias we have in our minds is entirely because of the history we are fed constantly of the world and of its culture.

This will be my last thread on this topic - don't wanna risk straying away from the main topics - how much bd sucks currently at cricket !!

Orpheus
December 8, 2002, 07:16 PM
Yup, Time to end this!! Don't wanna turn this into DS out of focused crap page! Good points everyone. Agreed with everyone eventhough it may contradict. Everything make sense. Arnab, as a bengali, I hope your dream comes true that Ppl would wanna learn Bangla to deal with us. The sad thing is English is the international language - so, until we are that good, deal with it!!!

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by Orpheus]

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 08:08 PM
I wanted to further clarify myself, and this is not a ****ing heated debate people, just a messageboard conversation on a Sunday evening, so don't feel offended or anything.

I didn't say that we should not learn English or any other language. Heck, I know English ( the first international language), French ( the second most spoken international language)...but I have come to realize that nobody speaks Bangla. Why? Is it because Bangla is hard ? NO. Bangla is prolly one of the most phonetically advanced, sweet sounding language there is. It's our status in the world. We need to change that first. And the way to be someone that you are not is start acting like that. You are not confident? Act as if you are the most confident muthafukka in the world and please ACT like one. Don't pretend all day. You gotta have the attitude. Orpheus said, "Deal with it". I say that too. But I differ in the approach.

And it doesn't matter if right now you are in the crappiest stage of your life. You gotta keep your head up, cuz you are the man. You are the one who others will follow...not the other way around. They are waiting for you to deliver. THAT'S how you deal with it. Be confident ALL the time... success or failure.

I definitely need to get appointed as the
psychological coach for our team. :)

Orpheus
December 8, 2002, 09:24 PM
Yo Arnab man! I think you been watching too much Oprah....

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 09:48 PM
Oprah? What does this have to do with Oprah? This is plain and ****ing simple truth man.

Tehsin
December 8, 2002, 10:00 PM
You can cuss and all but no comments about THE Oprah (you'll only understand this if you watch SNL). No talking about THE Oprah. Capisce ?

Nasif
December 8, 2002, 10:44 PM
I didn't know everyone was that serious about this issue. So in conclusion:
1. We need to get good at cricket, before anything.
2. If we are good at cricket it doesn't matter how we speak english.
3. Until we get good at cricket we might as well try to improve our image with better english :)

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 10:57 PM
Your first conclusion contradicts your third one. :P

Nasif
December 8, 2002, 11:03 PM
That was intentional ;)

Arnab
December 8, 2002, 11:04 PM
I know. :D