PDA

View Full Version : Will India get a gold in Athens this time around or not?

rassel
July 29, 2004, 09:56 PM
Last time, they managed to get a gold was in 1980 Olympic since than they only gat 2 Bronze.:(

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/mirror/nov2004/1/0/000ADF94-E181-1189-B6E080BFB6FA0000.jpg

Edited on, November 5, 2004, 4:05 AM GMT, by rassel.

Tintin
July 29, 2004, 11:47 PM
It is a bad joke to mention India and an olympic gold in the same line :cool:

oracle
July 30, 2004, 05:09 AM
India and an olympic gold

actually India has a long shot at women's athletics, where there seems to be a fledgling start than mens events.

Tintin
July 30, 2004, 06:07 AM
actually India has a long shot at women's athletics,

Anju George is ranked around No.6 in the world in women's longjump , and won a bronze in the World athletics championship last year. But in the grand prix meets in the last few weeks she has been averaging 6.60-6.70m, whereas something around 7 is needed to win a medal. She is about the only hope that we have.

rassel
July 30, 2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Tintin

I like this comment tintin.
Anyhow, how is your hockey team doing?

:-/

[Edited on 30-7-2004 by rassel]

Habibul_bashar
July 30, 2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by rassel
Originally posted by Tintin

I like this comment tintin.
Anyhow, how is hockey team doing?

BushidoTiger
August 1, 2004, 11:25 PM
Why are we so concerned about India winning anything in Olympics?
Last I checked BD is still an independent country, not one of the states? =)
For that matter, who cares if Pakis or the Lankans make it to the Marathon in Athens?
We got more than plateful of own worries.
Did we ever even qualify for any of those events..? As far as I remember we'd sent athletes in almost all Olympics.

rassel
August 1, 2004, 11:44 PM
You didnít get it. I was just playing around. This topic simply a joke, but true just like Tintin said. Anyway, this poll is for certain Indian folks in this board who think themselves as a great sporting nation.

:umm:

BushidoTiger
August 2, 2004, 01:30 AM
Thanks Rassel for clarifying. I definitely missed the internal joke on this one.
:P

vv_sunil
August 2, 2004, 05:06 AM
India will win one medal , probably gold, in tennis doubles. there is Leander and Mahesh playing together , and Leander is always great whenever he is playing for his country

AsifTheManRahman
August 2, 2004, 01:36 PM
paez and bhupati will surely win a bronze, but not more than that.

Flip Master Mick
August 3, 2004, 02:13 AM
man... paes and bhupathi are still around... they must be atleast 40 by now... dang... a billion people cannot produce replacements for paes and bhupathi :P

Bangla Mostan
August 3, 2004, 05:12 PM
I think our deshi lads and lassies will perform better than India, thats if they concentrate on the sports and not leave the camp and disappear.

If we can do that we will most certainly get some Gold medals....but I have agut feeling India will get quite lot more....:umm:

Tehsin
August 3, 2004, 11:39 PM
Guys, out of respect for Tintin, Sunil and millions of other decent Indians, can you please lay off of India already (by the way, you can still make fun of Indian cricket team and DANGULY as much as you want, sorry Tintin/Sunil) ??

As far as India's shot at gold - did they qualify for hocky ? If they did, they have an outside shot - anything can happen in the games. Paes is a strong contender for doubles and bhupati may be able to give him the necessary support.

How come they don't do well in shooting and swimming ?

As far as BD, we are still wondering if we can get a single medal in the Asiad, so Olympic is not even a concern. How come we do so badly in the saaf games ? It's really pathetic.

AsifTheManRahman
August 4, 2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bangla Mostan
I think our deshi lads and lassies will perform better than India, thats if they concentrate on the sports and not leave the camp and disappear.

If we can do that we will most certainly get some Gold medals....but I have agut feeling India will get quite lot more....:umm:

lol...good joke man...

no seriously...that was a good one...:D

Bangla Mostan
August 4, 2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
Originally posted by Bangla Mostan

lol...good joke man...

no seriously...that was a good one...:D

Thanks man anytime...but its true thats what happened last time...so one can only predict the same happening again..which is worrying....:umm:

rassel
August 4, 2004, 08:47 PM
A 'billion dollar' Indian question
AFP, New Delhi

It's that silly season again when India's chattering classes lament why a nation of a billion people can't win Olympic gold medals.

The subject is furiously debated every four years whenever the Olympics are held, the government orders a probe, the media is in a state of hysteria, before discussions are put on the backburner till the next Games comes around.

Meanwhile, the nation's obsession with cricket grows. The world may be glued to Athens, but India's eyes will be on the high-profile cricket series against arch-rivals Pakistan and world champions Australia to be played in the Netherlands at the same time.

The Olympics do not enthuse India's millions, for there is little to celebrate. The last time India won a gold medal was in hockey at the western-boycotted Moscow Games of 1980.

Only three Indians have won individual bronze medals, wrestler KD Jadhav in 1952, tennis player Leander Paes in 1996 and women's weightlifter Karnam Malleswari in 2000.

These were marvellous achievements by spirited individuals from a country where sports ranks very low in the government's priorities.

Yet, none of them enjoy the fame and wealth reserved for the Sachin Tendulkars, Rahul Dravids and Sourav Gangulys of cricket.

Few are dreaming of gold at Athens. A bronze itself will be cause for celebration and long jumper Anju Bobby George, Malleswari and the reunited Paes-Mahesh Bhupathi doubles combination will keep the interest alive.

India's sportspersons shine despite the system, not because of it.

"We compete on our own steam," said Anju, who won India's first medal at a world track and field meet when she finished third in the long jump at Paris in 2003.

"If the government wants medals in top events, they will have to provide world class facilities to the athletes. What we get in India is rubbish."

Determined not to be beaten by the system, Anju and her husband-coach Bobby George left India two months before the Games to train and participate in meets in Europe.

Some of the gloom that pervades Indian sport is self-inflicted, like the floundering hockey team and the off-on tennis doubles duo of Paes and Bhupathi.

India, who won the last of their eight Olympic hockey golds in 1980, sacked 14 coaches in the last 11 years before settling for their first foreign coach, German Gerhard Rach, barely three weeks before Athens Games.

Whether Rach can galvanise the team in the short time available to him -- or even survive the entire tournament himself -- remains to be seen. One of his predecessors, Cedric D'Souza, was sacked midway through the 2002 World Cup.

"If the team does well, the coach will take the credit. If not, he can say there was not enough time," said former Olympian Zafar Iqbal.

"Rach is in a win-win situation. Hope India is too."

Paes and Bhupathi, who won three Grand Slam doubles titles, parted ways in 1999 due to differences over a coach, ending India's most celebrated success story in the tennis world.

They reunited for the 2000 Sydney Games and made a quick exit, and will be back again in Athens hoping to ignite the old magic in Paes' fourth and final Olympic appearance.

Former Indian tennis champion Ramanathan Krishnan rules out a medal, but Bhupathi disagrees. "If anyone thinks we don't have a chance to win, they'd better wake up and smell the coffee," he was quoted as saying recently.

Bangla Mostan
August 15, 2004, 03:30 PM
c'mon Bangladesh..gets some shooting stars man!!

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 16, 2004, 07:57 AM
india will win 5 golds. i predicted this in 2003 itself. there is enough talent in ind to dominate in every sport if that talentis developed.indis going nowhere as a 1-sport nation:(

the 5 golds for this year r -

1. hockey
2. long jump
3. tennis
4. weightlifthing
5. boxing

bourny3
August 16, 2004, 08:04 AM
good try Amit. maybe not. They are good at hockey though arent they

200SX
August 16, 2004, 08:38 AM
indias dream of winning gold medel is in vain now, coz abhinab bindra failed to win ne medel in 10m rifle final......he placed 7 while he was in 3rd in his qualification.............i thnk abhinav was da only man who cud bring da gold for india........

rassel
August 16, 2004, 12:55 PM
Hockey Results

Netherlands 3 India 1:(

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 16, 2004, 11:24 PM
:mad:both our shooting hopes, anjalibhagwat and abhinav bindra fail to win any medal:mad:

PoorFan
August 16, 2004, 11:57 PM
Gold medal from hocky, is no longer for asian these days.

Tintin
August 17, 2004, 07:56 AM
Rajyavardhan Rathore won a silver in shooting :bravo: :joy:

rassel
August 17, 2004, 10:01 PM
Congratulations to Rathore

This one has to be very welcomed by the Indian fans

:clap:

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 18, 2004, 07:51 AM
well done rajyawardhan rathore for winning a silver medal

:great::great::great:

Shehwar
August 18, 2004, 07:59 AM
U know....I just think they might get it in the tennis doubles....

rassel
August 31, 2004, 03:32 PM
Yet, another Olympic without gold.

Very sad indeed only one silver out of 78 athletes
:umm:

AsifTheManRahman
September 1, 2004, 03:19 PM
like i said, bhupati and paes will only bring them a bronze...

btw...did they actually do so?

AsifTheManRahman
September 1, 2004, 03:20 PM
as far as i know, they were kicked out of the semi finals

rassel
September 1, 2004, 08:43 PM
yup!

they somehow gat one medal thatís about it.

nishy
September 3, 2004, 01:51 PM
lol nice 1 m8

rassel
September 3, 2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by nishy
lol nice 1 m8

:bird: