PDA

View Full Version : Our lone ODI victory vs Zim so INSIGNIFICANT?

fwullah
August 3, 2004, 12:44 AM
I am surprised. This new ICC ODI Championship table has Bangladesh at 0 points, where we should have had at least 1 or 2 points for beating the higher ranking Zimbabwe team.

As far as I can remember, the rules of point system is like this - if you beat a lower ranking team then you get 1 point and if you beat a higher ranking team, then you get more than 1 point.

So how come we are still with 0 points? Does this mean that our victory against Zimbabwe was so insignificant? That we have to beat an opponent in a series, to get at least 1 point?

ICC ODI Championship Table (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/AUG/014106_WCI_02AUG2004.html)

Flip Master Mick
August 3, 2004, 02:02 AM
According to the ICC, a rating for each team is obtained by dividing total points by matches played, with the answer given to the nearest whole number. Our last 20 games are being considered in calculating points for ODI table. Since we have only won 1 match it is too insignificant to raise our point or rating above 0. By beating Zimbabwe we probabaly got 90 points but that may not be enough with all the defeats holding our points as well as rating back.

To understand the concept better the following link may be helpful...

ICC ODI Championship Rules (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/odi/rules.html)

Habibul_bashar
August 3, 2004, 06:51 AM
Now Zimbabwe team is out of test.They also play bad with U19 india team. Every one know Zimbabwe team is band from test for one year. The Zimbabwe team is band from test from last Australia tours.

[Edited on 3-8-2004 by Habibul_bashar]

rafiq
August 3, 2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Flip Master Mick
According to the ICC, a rating for each team is obtained by dividing total points by matches played, with the answer given to the nearest whole number. Our last 20 games are being considered in calculating points for ODI table. Since we have only won 1 match it is too insignificant to raise our point or rating above 0. By beating Zimbabwe we probabaly got 90 points but that may not be enough with all the defeats holding our points as well as rating back.

To understand the concept better the following link may be helpful...

ICC ODI Championship Rules (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/odi/rules.html)

thanks for the links. here is part of the calculation:

Case 2 - gap between the two teams' ratings is 40 points or more:
if the stronger team wins, it scores 10 points more than its own rating while the weaker team scores 10 points less than its own rating
if the weaker team wins, it scores 90 points more than its own rating while the stronger team scores 90 points less than its own rating
if the match is tied, the stronger team scores 40 points less than its own rating and the weaker team scores 40 points more than its own rating

Since we have been losing to teams whose rating is 40 points more than us (this is true for everyone but Kenya), apparently we have been losing 10 points for each game played (that's 10 points less than our rating of 0). So our points total should actually be a negative number despite the 90 points picked up for beating Zimbabwe. They may zero out negative points, but this should at least explain why our points score is no more than 0.

I guess I just repeated what the Flip Master said, but the sad reality is we will need a number of wins before our points and rating can rise above 0. One or two wins will not make a dent! What;s up with this rating system?
Also note that they weigh the points so recent matches count more than old ones.

Tintin
August 3, 2004, 10:23 AM
The win was worth 3 points in March and April 2004, became 2 for May & June, 1 in July and has disappeared now.

Link (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/odi/archive.html)

Nasif
August 3, 2004, 10:39 AM
Did Kenya play any ODI after the WC? Their 28 points will take forever to disappear... :exclamation:

Bangla Mostan
August 3, 2004, 05:08 PM
Kenya should get test status, so we can really show them who's boss..we can play much better than them.. the stats dont favour us but I feel we have more talent and skill than them....their 28 points would disappear in a series match against us as they would most definately get whitewashed.:lol::flag:

Nasif
August 3, 2004, 08:26 PM
Mostan, there is no doubt we are way ahead of them. Their senior citizen squad is no match if we play our normal game. I wish we have an ODI series with Kenya sometime in future.

Rubu
August 3, 2004, 10:06 PM
i'm not following the odumbe scandal. but if he really get busted, kenya is a "one-man-show" stieve tickolo. bd's eleven will easily be better than 1 (not that is bad anyway)

nihi
August 4, 2004, 02:54 PM
I am not that sure about winning very easily against current kenya team in a one dayer, (despite whatever enthusiasm over our team). But the sad thing about them is that the average age of their players is 29.5. And if you look at their player list, there is a total of only 60-70 players (and that including the oldies). Thus they have got stuck in a snapshot brightest in their cricket history, just to wait for a sudden fading away.

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 4, 2004, 11:18 PM
lone odi victory? didnt BD beat HK recently in the asia cup.

however bd should get 1 point up for that zim win. despite kenya having 28 points, i dothink that this bd team is better than kenya since kenya has no future ahead once tikolo, odumbe and 1-2 others retire. i doubt if they could qualify for 2015 world cup.