PDA

View Full Version : 2 tough assingments: Scotland & Ireland tour

fwullah
August 4, 2004, 12:51 AM
Here comes two very tough assignments for Bangladesh - the Scotland and the Ireland tour.

In recent times, we faced only three ICC Associate teams - One was Holland in the last ICC Champions trophy in Sri Lanka during 2002, then Canada the disaster during the world cup, and very recently, Hong Kong just this July '04.

However, Hong Kong is a pretty weak team, even according to the ICC Associate Nations' standards, compared to that - Scotland and Ireland are pretty tough - on their own backyards, and especially for Bangladesh since the pressure is onto us to beat them.

What is more, is that we have past records (bad memories for me) of getting beaten by them, during 1998 on our last Scotland and Ireland tour. Ofcourse, there is the happy memory of beating Scotland during the world cup in the end, but things are a bit different now as we're the 'big brothers' now.

fwullah
August 4, 2004, 12:57 AM
Oh, I completely forgot the Namibians - isn't it ironic that when you get beaten by a lesser nation, you remember them for a long time and yet when you beat them, then you completely forget about them. I guess that's why most Indian fans (that I know) remember and are supporters of Kenya.

Shehwar
August 4, 2004, 03:06 AM
Yeah..It’s gonna be really tough….We are not really used to playing in those kinda pitches….Its gonna really swing early on and almost throughout the day….And when u consider the form ( or the lack of it !) of our batters…!!...Well…may God bless them…!...We just can’t afford to lose to Ireland and Scotland….These teams didn’t even make the last World Cup…So even a single defeat at their hands will raise a lot of questions….Lets hope everything goes according to our script..take care ppl…..

PoorFan
August 4, 2004, 04:09 AM
No way but win only!
Already our back is in fire!!

paco
August 4, 2004, 08:43 AM
I would like to point out (to the proponents of Akram and Aminul) that during our Scotland tour of 99, we lost all matches with Akram, Aminul & Durjoy in the team.

Zobair
August 4, 2004, 09:47 AM
This will be a tough assignment indeed! Ireland recently beat West Indies chasing a 300 odd target!!! WI for all their test woes are a pretty decent OD side. So I will brace myself for some serious jolts on this one.

TAIF
August 4, 2004, 10:37 AM
I think we deffinitely need 'Chacha' in English conditions.

AsifTheManRahman
August 4, 2004, 11:53 AM
considering our batsmen's current form and their inability to play the moving ball, i'd say we're in for a good treat - maybe even a whitewash or two

Bangla Mostan
August 4, 2004, 12:59 PM
What we must remember is that Ireland recently beat West Indies...so that is quite worrying as, not only did they beat West Indies..they also scored over 250 runs after batting second...i think west indies set a target of 290 something...so playing Ireland would be tricky...however playing scotland may not be that tricky..we always have had this comfort zone against Scotland.....so I think we can handle them..but the main worry even though its a friendly would be Ireland. :flag:

paco
August 4, 2004, 01:03 PM
As I've probably mentioned many times before, this 'early acclimatization' business is a really bad idea. We've done this twice before - once before wc'03 and once before asia cup, and look at what happened. Playing opposition like Namibia, Ireland and Scotland, we have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Bangla Mostan
August 4, 2004, 01:46 PM
At most what we'll lose is confidence which is bad...as the Chamions Trophy is ahead

At most what we'll gain is food. for playing good...:great:

Habibul_bashar
August 4, 2004, 02:04 PM
Bangladesh will be play good Chamions Trophy .

Bangla Mostan
August 4, 2004, 02:15 PM
I hope so...but how good are we talking about????

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
beating scotland and ireland is going to be a tough ask. both the teams have been doing well and ireland have been doing great. after they failed to qualify for 2003 wc, they have improved greatly thrashing teams like zimbabwe in 2003, beating windies chasing 290+ earlier this year, they also beat surrey, the stringest side in england domestic cricket scoring 250+ and now maybe beating bangladesh? i would go with ireland in the BD-Ire series.

as for scotland, bangladesh should win it, but that wont be too easy to win.

sageX
August 4, 2004, 11:20 PM
Bangladesh will beat Ireland so bad that Irish players will not come out of the pub for a whole month.
And for Scottland same thing no make it two months:fanflag:

[Edited on 5-8-2004 by sageX]

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 5, 2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
Oh, I completely forgot the Namibians - isn't it ironic that when you get beaten by a lesser nation, you remember them for a long time and yet when you beat them, then you completely forget about them. I guess that's why most Indian fans (that I know) remember and are supporters of Kenya.

fwullah, namibia did beat bd in the 2nd ODI match in 2003 when bd went just before the wc. however, bd has wonall the other matches v namibia beating them 4-1 in 2003 and 3-0 in 2004.

Rubu
August 5, 2004, 12:02 AM
scotland and ireland?

do we need to get ready for more humiliation?

sageX
August 5, 2004, 12:18 AM
Some people are leaving in past. Wake up people its a new day. WC has gone past long time ago. Shed the skin and come out of hybernation. Its summer time.

fwullah
August 5, 2004, 01:34 AM
fwullah, namibia did beat bd in the 2nd ODI match in 2003 when bd went just before the wc. however, bd has wonall the other matches v namibia beating them 4-1 in 2003 and 3-0 in 2004.

I remember it exactly as it happened, however since we were under the coaching of Mohsin Kamal back then, and now we are under Whatmore's coaching, so the most recent encounters are in our memories than the previous ones.

James90
August 5, 2004, 02:41 AM
Scotland are really struggling in the County Cricket, only winning one game and aren't doing well in the ICC Inter-Continental either despite being under the brilliant coaching of one Peter Drinnen. Ireland will be the big task and our boys had better take that game seriously because every game we play from now on could determine the future of test cricket (3 tiers i mean)

sageX
August 5, 2004, 02:51 AM
I donot understand why Bangladesh agreed to play a non test nation in ODI. Bangladesh has nothing to gain but a lot to loose.

Habibul_bashar
August 5, 2004, 02:51 AM
Scottland going to a cricket country.There are now like bangladesh.They are all same
(Bangladesh,Scottland ,Ireland).The Tiger are playing test.They are the best from the two country.The tiger ready beat the two country.Good luck for bangladesh for ICC 2004.

Habibul_bashar
August 5, 2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by sageX
I donot understand why Bangladesh agreed to play a non test nation in ODI. Bangladesh has nothing to gain but a lot to loose.

Don,t think BD is big country like Australia.
If you think you are big(BD),That is wrong,You are s.....(BD).

200SX
August 5, 2004, 02:58 AM
it shud b the easiest task for the tigers beating ireland and scotland........but since tigers r so unpredictable, i shud say no comments abt this topic.....they shud keep 1-2 players frm u-19 team, since they r doin well in tht condition instead of some players having very bad time in the last few matches.......

neway we shud definitely win all of the matches........otherwise there will b no hope.....

vv_sunil
August 5, 2004, 03:26 AM
“beating scotland and ireland is going to be a tough ask. both the teams have been doing well and ireland have been doing great. after they failed to qualify for 2003 wc, they have improved greatly thrashing teams like zimbabwe in 2003, beating windies chasing 290+ earlier this year, they also beat surrey, the stringest side in england domestic cricket scoring 250+”

“Playing opposition like Namibia, Ireland and Scotland, we have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose.”

“even a single defeat at their hands will raise a lot of questions”

“do we need to get ready for more humiliation? “

“No way but win only! Already our back is in fire!!”

real concerns……. ………………………….. right, even a single defeat at their hands will raise a lot of questions.

fwullah
August 5, 2004, 03:36 AM
I donot understand why Bangladesh agreed to play a non test nation in ODI.

It is not a One Day International - just a One Day match.

sageX
August 5, 2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by pompous
This will be a tough assignment indeed! Ireland recently beat West Indies chasing a 300 odd target!!! WI for all their test woes are a pretty decent OD side. So I will brace myself for some serious jolts on this one.

WI top 4 bowler didn't bowl that day. That match was a warm up match for WI. Lara batted 9 th. Sarwan didn't play. Chandarpaul didn't play.

sageX
August 5, 2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by fwullah

I donot understand why Bangladesh agreed to play a non test nation in ODI.

It is not a One Day International - just a One Day match.

Thats even worse. Don't you agree?

fwullah
August 5, 2004, 03:44 AM
Bangladesh in Commonwealth Games, Kualalampur

September 15 - Bangladesh vs Northern Ireland

N. Ireland - 177/10 (49.5 overs)
Bangladesh - 63 all out
Result : N. Ireland won by 114 runs

Bangladesh in Scotland

July 4 - Bangladesh vs Scotland (Cairn Trophy, Match 1)
Scotland 246/7-50.0 (G Salmond 81)
Bangladesh 207/10 -49 (Aminul Islam 70, Mohammed Rafique 58)
Result : Scotland won by 39 runs

July 5 - Bangladesh vs Scotland XI

Scotland XI 207-6 (A Simpson 45)
Bangladesh 208-8 (Faruque Ahmed 45)
Result : Bangladesh won by 2 wickets

July 7,8,9 - Bangladesh vs Scotland (3 Day Match)

Day 1 - Bangladesh 339/9 (Akram Khan 105, Aminul Islam 80) declared
Day 2 - Scotland 252/7 declared
Day 3 - Bangladesh 183/4 declared, Scotland 161/2 at close of play
Result : Match drawn

July 11 - Bangladesh vs Scotland (Cairn Trophy, Match 2)

Bangladesh 97/10 - 50 overs (Faruque Ahmed 50)
Scotland 99/3 - 33 overs (Hasibul Hussain 2 for 20, Morshed Ali Khan 10-5-6-1)
Result : Scotland won by 7 wickets, and won Cairn Trophy

July 14,15,16 - Bangladesh vs Scotland (3 Day Match)

Day 1 - Scotland 199 all out (Mohammed Rafique took 5 wickets), Bangladesh 19-0
Day 2 - Bangladesh 138 all out, Scotland 75-6
Day 3 - Scotland 178 all out, Bangladesh 187-5 (Aminul Islam 109 not out)

Bangladesh in Ireland

June 5th, 1998 - Bangladesh vs Ireland

Bangladesh 229/10 - 49.3 overs (Aminul Islam 52 off 68, Hasibul Hussain 33*)
Ireland 230/6 - 49.3 overs (P Gilles Pie 94, Mohammad Rafique 10-2-37-2)
Result : Ireland won by 4 wickets

June 11th, 1998 - Bangladesh vs Ireland Provincial XI

Ireland 194/4- 50 overs (Carson 65)
Bangladesh 195/4 48.3 overs (Aminul Islam 59, Akram Khan 52*)
Result : Bangladesh won by 6 wickets

June 15th, 1998 - Bangladesh vs Ireland 'A'

Bangladesh 257/5 - 50 overs (Faruq Ahmed 78, Naimur Rehman 56)
Ireland 'A' 150/10 - 39.5 overs (Khaled Mahmud 3 for 24)
Result : Bangladesh won by 107 runs

fwullah
August 5, 2004, 03:46 AM
I think I copied and saved this from Cricinfo during 1999, before the Bangladesh Cricinfo site was turned official Bangladesh Cricinfo page, and during the time when handle (I believe the old test status members used to know him) was in charge of the Bangladesh Cricinfo site back then.

Habibul_bashar
August 5, 2004, 03:51 AM
Well post by fwullah.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by chinaman : Do not quote large post or picture.]

sageX
August 5, 2004, 03:53 AM
Good god fwullah. What are you, living data bank. That is impressive.

Anyway those stat's are so long ago. We even donot have the same players. Bangladesh is playing much better opponent now. So their game improved more then ireland and scottland.

fwullah
August 5, 2004, 03:58 AM
Here are the scorecards:

BD vs Northern Ireland 1998 Commonwealth Games (http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1998/OTHERS+ICC/CG1998/SCORECARDS/GROUP-C/BDESH_NIRE_CG1998_OD21_15SEP1998.html)

sageX
August 5, 2004, 04:05 AM
Rafiq opened it! Thats something.

It is good that we are getting into new generation who started playing against test cricket nation, like Ash, Rana, Tapash. Thats why they will be better cricketer than Nannu and sujon. Don't you think?

Ahmed_B
August 5, 2004, 05:30 AM
Scots n Irish teams hav been head to head with us all the time in past... n even their success rate is much higher than ours!

I wonder what brought us to the ODI & Test International levels so early!!
Perhaps the success in ICC trophy tournaments and also our Infrastructure.

sageX
August 5, 2004, 05:34 AM
yep! Our under 19 beat England U19 too at that time.

Shish Ahmed
August 5, 2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Scots n Irish teams hav been head to head with us all the time in past... n even their success rate is much higher than ours!

I doubt this very much, have you got the facts!!

fwullah
August 5, 2004, 12:45 PM

I DISAGREE 100 PERCENT.

I'd say that its the Scottish team that got in the world cup of 1999 too early than they should have been.

It took us exactly 20 years from 1979 to 1999 to even get to the world cup stage.

And it took Scotland only one ICC trophy tournament (1997) to get to the world cup stage.

Remember, we might have played in only one world cup before attaining the test status, but it took us around two decades to even get to the world cup stage and the ODI status and played in 1979, 1982, 1986 ICC trophy held in England, then we played in 1990 ICC tournament in Holland, then we played in 1994 ICC trophy in Kenya then in 1997 that we had managed to be the champions that we should have been on our maiden ICC trophy encounter.

After Sri Lanka got their test status, we were the favorites to win the trophy in each tournament that we played, in '82 (I think) and in '90, we were the semi-finalists. We lost to Zimbabwe in the semi-final matches (which were obviously knock-out matches) on both occassions to be dropped out of the two tournaments when we should have been the champions.

And I don't know if I am supposed to tell this in public here or not, Ko die ekta desh ache jei desher nam apnara shobai janen, 1994-e shei desher kormokortara ghush die amader khelowarder playing combination jene niechilo match-er age, ekhon she-i desher ekjon khelowarer ainoto dondoniyo karjokolap berie poreche. Ekhon apnara-i bhalo bujhen keno amra 1994-eo jit-te parini.

Oboshyo we did not play well in the 1994 ICC trophy, the same players who failed in the 1994 ICC trophy, got us the championship in the 1997 ICC trophy.

Ahmed_B
August 5, 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by SHISH AHMED
Originally posted by crickethorizon

I doubt this very much, have you got the facts!!

I guess I've been lazy to explain wht I tried to mean.
That comparison between BD vs Scots/Ireland was drawn from the BD vs those teames match records seen in a few posts back in this thread (fwllah's).

I din't really analize last 20 years history. The expression may be like this:
"... even after a longer history and better infrastructure... we havn't had a good record against these teams in recent times.. "
:umm:
again... this impression comes from concept that "At the end of seasons.. its wins that count most.. not good performances alone!"

Next tours will be an Acid test for the team.. to see how much they really hav improved after getting the test status!

Best of luck!

rockpundit
August 5, 2004, 01:23 PM
Bangladesh is surely not taking the two series lightly, theyre gonna fight tooth and nail. If you look back at the two matches of WI and Zim against Ireland youll have to notice that neither of the teams took the match seriously. Bangladesh is a test side, they got the test status maybe a wee bit premature but theres no denying they got the talent. When a country is offered test status, they are done so by all the former test teams consensus which means that none of them refused.

Habibul_bashar
August 7, 2004, 04:21 AM
Bangladesh are planning to play two one-matches against Ireland as part of their preparations for the ICC Champions Trophy in September. The matches are scheduled for August 29 at Stormont in Belfast, and August 30 at Limavady.

Earlier this week, Ireland beat Holland by an innings and 141 runs in their Intercontinental Cup match at Deventer in Holland, their 12th win in their last 15 matches. In June they pulled off a famous victory over West Indies in a one-day match at Stormont. On that day, three players scored half-centuries as Ireland chased West Indies' 292, winning with more than three overs to spare.

Ireland play their first match of the ECC European Championship on Sunday, against an England & Wales Cricket Board XI. Jason Molins, Ireland's captain, missed the intercontinental cup win over Holland with a hamstring injury, but it is hoped he will be fit in time to play in the championship.

AsifTheManRahman
August 8, 2004, 08:22 AM
Although Ireland never made it to the world cup, their win against the dutch looks pretty impressive...they've won 12 out of their last 15 matches, whereas we are still trying to get out of a losing streak. Regardless of the quality of the opponents that we have faced, we are at a slightly disadvantageous position here.

If any of you have been following the live Scotland vs Ireland first class match on cricinfo, you'd get the impression that these teams kind of suck in the longer version of the game, and also that there is very little difference between them. However, in the shorter form of the game, I'd put my money on these two when it comes to playing Bangladesh, although I'd definitely be supporting the latter.

AsifTheManRahman
August 8, 2004, 08:26 AM
Although Ireland never made it to the world cup, their win against the dutch looks pretty impressive...they've won 12 out of their last 15 matches, whereas we are still trying to get out of a losing streak. Regardless of the quality of the opponents that we have faced, we are at a slightly disadvantageous position here.

If any of you have been following the live Scotland vs Ireland first class match on cricinfo, you'd get the impression that these teams kind of suck in the longer version of the game, and also that there is very little difference between them. However, in the shorter form of the game, I'd put my money on these two when it comes to playing Bangladesh, although I'd definitely be supporting the latter.

sageX
August 8, 2004, 09:16 AM
I am so scared to play Ireland and scotland. Kanna pachche amar!

MohammedRafiqueIdolizer
August 8, 2004, 12:42 PM
While we are worrying about Ireland more than Scotland, Scotland beat Ireland in a 3 day match today by 8 wickets, with DF Watts scoring 118 not out and A Butt taking 9 wickets in the match. Dangermen maybe?

Bangla Mostan
August 8, 2004, 04:12 PM
dont worry about Scotland..i think our players still see pride at stake when playing against what is written on paper as inferior teams...so they will show some grit and determination to grind out a result and play like tigers...

PoorFan
August 9, 2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by MohammedRafiqueIdolizer
While we are worrying about Ireland more than Scotland, Scotland beat Ireland in a 3 day match today by 8 wickets, with DF Watts scoring 118 not out and A Butt taking 9 wickets in the match. Dangermen maybe?
Things are getting tougher for BD.
U-19 has just encouraged BD yesterday.
Hope their best.

AsifTheManRahman
August 9, 2004, 07:18 AM
Aree dhuro...asim butt ekta lula bowler...aree naam shuinai to bujha jawar kotha...

he's a buira...probly more than 40 yrs old...played in the 99 world cup...slow medium...bisri bowler...

kintu bhai amader batsmanra erei kintu mc grath banay dibe...:lol:

PoorFan
August 9, 2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
Aree dhuro...asim butt ekta lula bowler...aree naam shuinai to bujha jawar kotha...

he's a buira...probly more than 40 yrs old...played in the 99 world cup...slow medium...bisri bowler...

-->Great relief.

kintu bhai amader batsmanra erei kintu mc grath banay dibe...:lol:

-->Great concern.