PDA

View Full Version : Profile on a Future Star

Shish Ahmed
August 6, 2004, 03:48 AM
Full Name: Shahriar Nafees Ahmed
Nickname: Abir

A new player to the U19 squad. A tall elegant left handed batsmen who has all the shots in the book.

He is very strong on the offside and also a good puller of the ball. If this young man can stay fir and healthy he is an excellent talent for Bangladesh.

This latest 116 not out much give the young man the confidence to go on from here.

I said after the first practice game he had played in 'watch out for this boy' and i have seen nothing to change my opinion about him.

sageX
August 6, 2004, 04:18 AM
Another one is Shamsur Rahman. 16 years of age. Scored highest run among team member in the 1st test against England. Coach said he has very good shot selection.

Habibul_bashar
August 6, 2004, 04:28 AM
What is Shamsur Rahman high runs?

Shish Ahmed
August 6, 2004, 04:29 AM
yes, Shamsu is also a new player in the squad he is more of a defensive type player. I've met him he did not look 16 to me more about 18 yrs old.

oracle
August 6, 2004, 06:46 AM
So who else is a lefty apart from Nafees.
We need more of them and crucially he is an opener. Just curious whether Nafees is a genuine lefthander in life, that is he also writes and use his left hand. There are many batsmen who are left handed but only when it comes to batting.

Shish Ahmed
August 6, 2004, 07:13 AM
Nafees is the only genuine left hand bat in the U19 side as far as i'm aware. Nadif the allrounder also bats left handed.

SS
August 6, 2004, 08:01 AM
Did you guys see the pic of AFtab on front
page..
it's Aravinda de Silva of Bangla
I hope he keeps i t up.

Shish Ahmed
August 6, 2004, 08:28 AM
Come on guys he is not really that big.....

He is a really good cover fielder, one of the best fielders in the U19 side if not the best.

200SX
August 6, 2004, 10:48 AM
Aftab is the most talented batsman in u-19 team, last time i saw him playing in u-19 WC against india....... he didnt scored tht much but how long he was in da crease, ppl juz seen some dazzling shots frm his bat...... tht was realy unbelieveable tht he is a bangladeshi u-19 batsman...........all he has lack is his patience to stay in da crease an score big runs, which is the main problem of 99% bd batsmans........

Habibul_bashar
August 6, 2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by SS
Did you guys see the pic of AFtab on front
page..
it's Aravinda de Silva of Bangla
I hope he keeps i t up.

http://www.banglacricket.com/home/pictures/newpic288.jpg
Is this picture.Good cover d.......

AsifTheManRahman
August 6, 2004, 11:41 AM
he sure is as fat as de silva...lol

Beamer
August 6, 2004, 12:07 PM
I like Dhiman Ghosh. He will surely be our mainstay in the wkt keeping dept once Pilot decides to hang it up. That could be another ten years!! the way pilot is going about.

200SX
August 6, 2004, 12:13 PM
dhiman, a good replacement of pilot.....:karate:

Shish Ahmed
January 1, 2005, 05:17 AM
Hello Guys,

Happy New Year to All.

I just thought i'll start 2005 with a thread i wrote on Nafees Ahmed. I had high hopes of him when i first seen him play in England.

He is the future of BD Cricket and i am hoping for big things from him in 2005.

:bravo:

aosaif
January 1, 2005, 10:25 AM
I don't think the selectors should make any changes to the side that played india. If any fail in the first test, then they might consider some players from the BCCD squad.

Shish Ahmed
January 1, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yes i agree.

Players to keep in mind:-

Batsmen

Nafees Ahmed (ODI First)
Tushar Imran
Alok Kapali
Shamsur Rahman (ODI First)

Bowlers

Shafaq al-Zabir
Md. Sharif
Shahadat Hossain Rajib

Warlock
January 1, 2005, 10:55 AM
By the way, BBC cricket site has just uploaded a new page called - "Six to watch in 2005" that gives a preview of six players predicted by BBC to rise this year. To my great joy, in the third position there was our very own Mohammad Ashraful! Follow the page here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4120309.stm

BBC writes,

Mohammad Ashraful
---------------------------
Mohammad Ashraful was only 17 years and 63 days old when he became Test cricket's youngest century maker against Sri Lanka in September 2001.

His progress since then has been uneven, due in large part to playing for a Bangladesh team which has struggled in vain to break a losing habit.

But Ashraful recently reminded everyone of his potential with a superb unbeaten 158 against India and he is his country's best hope of making any kind of impact on their first tour to England.

"We were all privileged to see his innings. It's nice to know there is somebody in the group who is capable of those things," said coach Dav Whatmore.
----------------------------------------

Haradhon
January 1, 2005, 11:32 AM
Our national caps who are likely to retire next are Javed Omar and Khaled Mahmud. I would give the U-19s such as Nafees Ahmed, and Shamsu Rahman to grow and gain confidence. Yes, they may be included in the ODIs; for instance if we secure a ODI series win against Zimbabwe, then w experiment them for the 4th/5th. Interestingly we do not have a second wicket keeper in the national 14. How about including Dhiman?

mahbubH
January 1, 2005, 11:46 AM
Interestingly we do not have a second wicket keeper in the national 14.

I do not see other teams have a second wicketkeeper in their national 14. Paki do not have a second wicketkeeper in their national 17 (now visiting Asstralia), England and India also do not have such one when they are visiting SA and BD. So why do we need that at this moment in our national 14?

Ehsan
January 1, 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
By the way, BBC cricket site has just uploaded a new page called - "Six to watch in 2005" that gives a preview of six players predicted by BBC to rise this year. To my great joy, in the third position there was our very own Mohammad Ashraful! Follow the page here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4120309.stm

WoW! Great, feels real good!

arafath79
January 1, 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SHISH AHMED
Full Name: Shahriar Nafees Ahmed
Nickname: Abir

A new player to the U19 squad. A tall elegant left handed batsmen who has all the shots in the book.

He is very strong on the offside and also a good puller of the ball. If this young man can stay fir and healthy he is an excellent talent for Bangladesh.

This latest 116 not out much give the young man the confidence to go on from here.

I said after the first practice game he had played in 'watch out for this boy' and i have seen nothing to change my opinion about him.

I wanna see Sahriar Nafees in this series against Zimbabwe. It will be a great opportunity for him to grow his confidence against the same category team like Zimbabwe.

Shish Ahmed
January 1, 2005, 02:57 PM
It may be a good idea to start Nafees Ahmed's Intl. career against Zim. I'm sure he will not let us down as he is in good form at the moment.

sunniath
January 1, 2005, 05:52 PM
slow down fellows.let nafees tour some other test playing countries and play some good knocks before bringing him to the national side.i am very excited to see a left handed top order batsman.nothing can be better than a left-right opening combination.lets groom him properly before calling him for national duty.

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 10:53 PM GMT, by sunniath.

Edited on, January 1, 2005, 10:53 PM GMT, by sunniath.

Tehsin
January 1, 2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
he sure is as fat as de silva...lol

Hahahha, I just saw this one. Asif, that's his protective gear/Pad, not his BHURI (the more common protective gear for general public). :)

James90
January 1, 2005, 07:15 PM
Is Aftab still that fat? I don't think so

sohasan
January 1, 2005, 09:21 PM
:flag:

Warlock
January 1, 2005, 10:02 PM
Guys, check the ODI pictures against India (can be found in Banglacricket album)- you will see that Aftab is a very normal 20-year old, not fat at all. In fact, he is quite slightly built.
By the way, the photo supplied here by Habibul_Bashar, does show a lot of similarities with A D Silva. Hopefully Aftab will be able to show those similarities in his batting too. Good luck to the youngster!