PDA

View Full Version : 2 Day Match U19 vs Development of Excellence XI

chinaman
August 6, 2004, 02:55 PM
2 day practice match will start on 08/07/04 at Oakham School, Rutland. Possible start time is 10:00 AM GMT. Hope the boys will carry on their majestic forms.

The second test starts on 08/10/04 at Somerset CCC, Taunton.

Good luck boys.

Rubu
August 6, 2004, 03:09 PM
i never heard of any 2 day match before. how does it work? one innings per side or two?

mahbubH
August 6, 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
i never heard of any 2 day match before. how does it work? one innings per side or two?

In late 70's and early 80's Bangladesh used to play 2-day matched againt visiting teams like MCC, Hyderabad blues etc. I think two innings per side. Two-day matches are just practice matches before a real match!!

chinaman
August 6, 2004, 04:57 PM
Two innings each, Follow-on cutoff is 100 runs.

200SX
August 6, 2004, 10:46 PM
2 day match, nother typical british way to welcome tourist.......neway good luck cubs..show no marcy!:fanflag:

bourny3
August 7, 2004, 01:12 AM
Is Talha Jubair playing in this match. This would be the perfect game to come back and just have a few short spells to test his injury out. anyone agree

cricketfan
August 7, 2004, 01:19 AM
Why all the practice matches are against the same (somewhat optimistically named) team ? Matches against tougher( even if with less fancy names) teams would have been better.

mahbubH
August 7, 2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by bourny3
Is Talha Jubair playing in this match. This would be the perfect game to come back and just have a few short spells to test his injury out. anyone agree

I think Talha is not with the team at the moment. He will join for 1-dayers (in place of Israk Sonet) if he completely recovers from injuries.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by sports_fan_bd]

bourny3
August 7, 2004, 01:24 AM
oh ok thats good to hear because he is in the squad when i looked at it. But it would make sense that he joins the team for the one dayers because otherwise you would have him playing

chinaman
August 7, 2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by bourny3
Is Talha Jubair playing in this match. This would be the perfect game to come back and just have a few short spells to test his injury out. anyone agree I don't agree. There are better way (medical) to "test his injury out" and I'm sure he has been under "testing" by professionals.

He was supposed to join the 1-dayers but I think I read somewhere that he wouldn't be going to England this time.

sageX
August 7, 2004, 02:58 AM
I think real 11 should take rest. If they play this 2 day match They will have only 1 day rest before the 2nd test.

bourny3
August 8, 2004, 05:36 AM
Whats happening in this match. Any scores.

guy_zin
August 8, 2004, 08:06 AM
dont know whether its old news already or not ..but really amazed to read nafis scored 266 against the DOE eleven in england..seems, nafis is enjoying his pre-calling up moments to the national team again

chinaman
August 8, 2004, 08:14 AM
No, its not an old news!

BangladesherKhela posted the scores as follows:

BD U19: 535/10 in 99 overs
Nafees: 266
Dhiman: 84
Nadif: 55

Bangladesherkhela >> (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=9286&iCategoryID=1)

sageX
August 8, 2004, 08:22 AM
Nafees 266 holy smoke! Nafees 18 years old.

[Edited on 8-8-2004 by sageX]

chinaman
August 8, 2004, 08:40 AM
Nafees Iqbal

DOB: 31-08-1985
Height: 5 Foot 7 Inch (6 month ago)
Previous highest score: 150 against SriLanka U23

AsifTheManRahman
August 8, 2004, 08:43 AM
Guys wake up! This isn't Nafis Iqbal, but rather Nafees Ahmed, and honestly, I think he's in a heck of a better form than Iqbal! He's doing simply awesome - couple of half centuries, a century in the first test where the others failed...and now this! Man...had he been as experienced as Nafis Iqbal, I'd have taken him into the side for the Champions Trophy!

Dhiman's doing pretty good too...and so is Nadif...

We have to make sure that these guys don't go astray like many of our former U-19 cricketers who came to the lime light with brilliant performances in the junior level but failed to show the same flare in the senior level.

[Edited on 8-8-2004 by AsifTheManRahman]

chinaman
August 8, 2004, 08:46 AM
Care to mention your source? Thank you.

AsifTheManRahman
August 8, 2004, 08:54 AM
Ok i was probly misled by the spelling...i thought iqbal's first name was spelt like "nafis" and ahmed's first name as "nafees"...i didn't notice ur last post. btw i cant open the link...is it really iqbal? cuz it's way better if he gets that double ton, since he's gonna be the one to get into the team pretty soon...

chinaman
August 8, 2004, 09:00 AM
Try this link (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com).

That site says Nafees Iqbal. It even identified his as former captain.

BTW, that site is known to make mistakes. So still there's hope for you. You probably didn't have your coffee yet, right?

sageX
August 8, 2004, 09:14 AM
Monkey is confused!

rassel
August 8, 2004, 10:06 AM
Whoever scored that double ton must be on drugs (I keed). Itís very hard to swallow for me when seeing such a huge score. Anyway, I hope our boys donít choke out when the second test begins.

:clap:

AsifTheManRahman
August 8, 2004, 10:13 AM
He must have scored it in style - playing very few balls...

Rubu
August 8, 2004, 11:00 AM
guys, misti koi? looks like u guys did not really appriciate the value of the news. its a DOUBLE TON. the highest score by any bangladeshi in any kind. its the stamina and concontration thats make it possible. and currently, our national team is severely lacking it. u know what, instead of meeting rahul dravid, national team should have a week under mcInnes to learn the thing he's teaching those calves.

Ahmed_B
August 8, 2004, 11:01 AM
:o..... 266?!!!!
WOW!

I also got a strong feeling tht its Shahriar Nafees and not Nafis Iqbal..

coz Shahriar has been in much better form in this tour than Nafis Iq.

The best thing is that scoring 266 takes lot of time on the ground... n good that atleast some of the coming bastmen r developing that patience!!!

Its a pity that Seniors like Ashraful dont hav any patience to stay on the pitch till their 100!! :umm:

jubaitca
August 8, 2004, 11:38 AM
This is seriously amazing. This might just be the turning point that we are looking for.

But as a 18 year old, we still need to see if he is consisted. But this is good breakthrough.

He must have played really well cuz they scored 535 with runrate of over 5. almost like a one dayer. So nafees probably had really good strike rate.

We just have to wait and see.

Mueid
August 8, 2004, 11:50 AM
shocking..rocking..amazing...never expected this kinda stuff..really amazing..congrats to nafis iqbal n to all of bd fans:)

bhobishshot
August 8, 2004, 12:22 PM
Finally, the ice therapy, Getorade, expensive shoes, and low carb/high protien/high calcium diet is paying off:lol:
Justin Cordy's fitness method probably helped as well. Now, the national team players need stop complaining about his training method and just work harder.

Ahmed_B
August 8, 2004, 12:49 PM
naaaa.. i wouldn't be that much overwhalmed...

It's a good news for sure... but I also think these DOE teams r pretty pretty weak ones..

who knows... mayb 14/15 year old players r playing in those teams.. :umm:

lets just hope our U-19 takes the spirit for the coming Test.

Bangla Mostan
August 8, 2004, 01:08 PM
I heard from someone who knows someone who watched the match.....just one or two small crowds....but nothing special...the opponents ages were from as small as 12 year olds....according to this source...so its not really an achievement....scoring real big against them....because this is meant to be standard...

Habibul_bashar
August 8, 2004, 02:49 PM
More any news of this match?

Navarene
August 8, 2004, 03:15 PM
Holy holy hooooooo...can't believe in my eyes:o If BangladesherKhela is right (i just dont rely on Shahidul Azam and gong), the total of 535 is the highest score in any level of cricket of Bangladesh. Meanwhile I reserve all my praise for Naseef Iqbal once the score is confirmed as more authentic.

mahbubH
August 8, 2004, 03:19 PM
266 wow... cannot believe a Bangladeshi batsman can score that! Congrats!

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by sports_fan_bd]

Bangla Mostan
August 8, 2004, 03:56 PM
yeah man rahman man,...yeah yeah...its good to see a double century up on the scoreboard...but we have to realise this was against a bunch of amateurs...so dont expect the same against U-19 England...well i hope im proved wrong by making this judgement..:fanflag:

sageX
August 8, 2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by rassel
Whoever scored that double ton must be on drugs (I keed). Itís very hard to swallow for me when seeing such a huge score. Anyway, I hope our boys donít choke out when the second test begins.

Bhai zaibo koi ora. Zodi duck mare taile gali galaz shune. Zodi 266 mare taile kon drug nisse. Zodi 5 wkt nei taile kon chucker.

Ki korle khushi hoiben bhai.:)

Rubu
August 8, 2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Bangla Mostan
yeah man rahman man,...yeah yeah...its good to see a double century up on the scoreboard...but we have to realise this was against a bunch of amateurs...so dont expect the same against U-19 England...well i hope im proved wrong by making this judgement..:fanflag:

yea, yea, i know what u are saying, and i also know that u are right. but, keep in mind that the senior team also did play those same type of amatures several times. they lost to many of them (canada, namibia,...) and did unconvincing win against others. and, do we have any double ton there? we've only one odi century.
no, can't agree with u. we've every reason to cheer.

rassel
August 9, 2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by sageX
Originally posted by rassel

Bhai zaibo koi ora. Zodi duck mare taile gali galaz shune. Zodi 266 mare taile kon drug nisse. Zodi 5 wkt nei taile kon chucker.

Ki korle khushi hoiben bhai.:)

Donít you see that I am khushi? Thatís why I put that clapping smiley in my post.

Anyway, i will be happy more often when our boys continues to score big one like this. It doesnít have to be double; Single one will be much appreciated anytime of the day.

:umm:

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by rassel]

rajibpaulrana
August 9, 2004, 01:33 AM
very good news he needs to calm and show some professionalism and get ready for the next match :fanflag:

bourny3
August 9, 2004, 03:19 AM
whats happening in the rest of the match it finished yesterday

PoorFan
August 9, 2004, 06:56 AM
Yes, what happend in the last day.

bdcricketfan
August 9, 2004, 07:39 AM
Bangladesh youth team won the 2 days match by 237 run according to Bangladesher khela.

:fanflag:

For deatails you can visit.

www.bangladesherkhela.com:

PoorFan
August 9, 2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by bdcricketfan
Bangladesh youth team won the 2 days match by 237 run according to Bangladesher khela.

For deatails you can visit.

www.bangladesherkhela.com:
Thanks bdcricketfan!
New era!? for BD.:)

Zobair
August 9, 2004, 11:34 AM
They won it! wow! Our boys got them all out twice in a day and that too for a grand total of 298?!

Amazing performance!

Let us see how we fare in the second test.

[Edited on 9-8-2004 by pompous]

chinaman
August 9, 2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by pompous
Our boys got them all out twice in a dayTwo days match cal also be played based on conditions agreed upon by the teams prior to the match.

I guess they went for 1 innings each.

Ibrahim
August 9, 2004, 11:43 AM
good news for BD cricket especially for Nafees.

200SX
August 9, 2004, 11:44 AM
does nebody kno tht the match happened between u-19 n DoE was a 1st class match or not....?

cricketfan
August 9, 2004, 11:51 AM
Tour matches played by senior national teams against first class teams are normally accorded first class status. The match of U-19 team against DOE will not be a first class match DOE XI is not a first class team.

Zobair
August 9, 2004, 11:54 AM
now that may be a saner explanation. :)

Originally posted by chinaman
Originally posted by pompous
Our boys got them all out twice in a dayTwo days match cal also be played based on conditions agreed upon by the teams prior to the match.

I guess they went for 1 innings each.

rana
August 9, 2004, 12:07 PM
BD 19 won by 237 runs :fanflag:

Beamer
August 9, 2004, 12:26 PM
Regardless of the opposition, many of our batsmen are simply not patient enough to strike big centuries, let alone a double ton. From that aspect, it was a great news and I hope Nafis, Aftab and few others from the young squad will make the transition to the senior team smoothly. I must mention Dhiman as well. He has been scoring heavily as well. Good for him and us.

Rubu
August 9, 2004, 12:49 PM
the question i raised above was whether 2 day matches are 2 innings per side or one. obviously, at least this match was 1 inning perside.

congrat calves.

BushidoTiger
August 9, 2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Habibul_bashar
Tour matches played well by senior national teams.266 runs like a dream.

-Am I the only lost one here? what in God's green earth are you talking about H_b?
:exclamation:

AsifTheManRahman
August 9, 2004, 01:38 PM
yes this one was indeed a one inning per side match...bangladesher khela has reported that DOE scored 298/8 off 104 overs.

Still waiting for something from the coach...a hint or two on the strength of the DOE side...

mahbubH
August 9, 2004, 05:27 PM
New Age (http://newagebd.com/spt.html) reported this game as a "dull draw". I am confused!

observer
August 9, 2004, 06:41 PM
I can't believe some of the crap i am reading, I generally appreciate the thoughts and comments on this site, but some of the things i have been reading are so ridiculous it is not funny and down right insulting to the players.

The lads have played all their practice matches against ECB Development of Excellence XI teams, which have on all occasions included players who are in the England U19 squad of 15 players. For example the match just completed contained Steve Davies who will bat 3 and keep wickets for England in the test tomorrow. The other players are 17 and 18 year olds who are vying for selection int he England U19 team for their winter tour to Sth Africa in January Feb 2005.. There are certainly no 12,13, 14 or even15 year olds playing against our team.

please give a little credit to the players where it is due, instread of criticising even when they do well.

To give you some idea i would estimate that the standard of the practice matches we have played would be as good or better than the Grameen Corporate League this year. I have spoken to a few players about it and they agreed. Hopefully that helps to put things in perspective for you.

The second test starts tomorrow on a batsmen friendly Taunton wicket. The players are confident and looking forward to the challenge, We will have to play well to win as the English side is very good, but we gave them a scare in the first match, Sufficient for them to drop three players from the frist test team.

It was Nafees Iqbal who scored the 266 and it took him over 6 hours which was the best part, He was dropped once on 80 odd then bowled off a no ball when about 250. Other than that he batted very well, very patient.

Cheers

sageX
August 9, 2004, 06:54 PM
Nice game! Congrats to coach and our boys.:fire::bravo:

billah
August 9, 2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks, coach, & congrats to you and the team. So, what was it? did they win or was it a draw?

Piranha
August 9, 2004, 07:08 PM
Nice going U-19 boys :)
Well done Coach McInnes:)

266 is no small achievement regardless of the opposition, and to score it against a good side speaks volumes for the talent of our young Nafees Iqbal.

Now the tough part is to keep up this performance...Looking forward to some good cricket in the coming matches.

Nasif
August 9, 2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by observer
I can't believe some of the crap i am reading, I generally appreciate the thoughts and comments on this site, but some of the things i have been reading are so ridiculous it is not funny and down right insulting to the players.
It was Nafees Iqbal who scored the 266 and it took him over 6 hours which was the best part, He was dropped once on 80 odd then bowled off a no ball when about 250. Other than that he batted very well, very patient.

Cheers

Thanks coach for a job well done. Thanks to U19 for showing such a great batting.

Please disregard some of the comments in this thread. Due to lack of information some of the members here went on wild speculation about the opposition and their age.

We love our U19, they are the future. Full credit goes to them for their extra-ordinary performance. Not only in this game but they are doing excellent throughout the tour.

Please convey our congratulations Nafis Iqbal. His 266 is massive achievement. Hopefully he will continue his form and do well in the national team. Good luck to him from all of us.

Go U19 you guys rock.

Piranha
August 9, 2004, 07:46 PM
Please disregard some of the comments in this thread. Due to lack of information some of the members here went on wild speculation about the opposition and their age.

...also, we fans are used to being dissapointed. So when good news does come our way, many among us tend to think that it was a freak incident, or dumb luck. That partly explains all the 'crap' comments.

Anyhow, is the next match going to be covered by cricinfo? Im getting tired of relying on bangladesher khela.com. You always have to think twice before believng anything they say.

sageX
August 9, 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by observer

Crap is the right word to describe some of the comments that doesn't make any sense. People are posting comments without thinking. Think! Before you post! God gave u brain not to waste it. Build a crap filter in the head. Then run your thoughts through the crap filter. Post only uncraps! Keep the craps for you!:lol::P

pavel
August 9, 2004, 08:24 PM
This is how "Crap" originates.

From 'Bangla Mastan' :
-----------------------------------------------
"I heard from someone who knows someone who watched the match.....just one or two small crowds....but nothing special...the opponents ages were from as small as 12 year olds....according to this source...so its not really an achievement....scoring real big against them....because this is meant to be standard... "

-----------------------------------------------------
Seesh...

pavs

sageX
August 9, 2004, 09:53 PM
Chinaman post the score here plz.:fire:

chinaman
August 9, 2004, 10:15 PM
BD U19: 535/10 in 99 overs
Nafees: 266
Dhiman: 84
Nadif: 55

Eng U19: 298/4 in 104 overs

BD won the match as it was played like a limited over match.

Lets close this thread and post in the test thread. Thank you.

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by chinaman]

AsifTheManRahman
August 10, 2004, 02:31 AM
BD fans are actually not used to this kind of success...there've been many occassions where we were overwhelmed by our teams' performances but were let down when we came to know about the strength of the opposition. I'm pretty sure that the guys on this board were just trying to make sure that the opponents that we've been facing in this tour are pretty strong - just to make sure that our boys were doing well under intense competition and pressure from the opposition. Nobody was accusing the players of anything, or trying to make their achievements look small.

There were also a couple of crappy posts regarding the age of the players...some people were saying that the English players were of 12 years of age...this kind of information was pretty misleading.

The misunderstanding and speculations were just caused by lack of both information and the habit of getting let down by our teams.

However, I'm pretty sure nobody would be unwilling to give the boys the credit they deserve.

Shish Ahmed
August 10, 2004, 07:10 AM
I was at this match on Saturday and the boys played very well. The english dev. squad are fairly young as some of them only play in 2nd teams in County Cricket.

Nafis Iqbal batted really well in sweltering heat of around 26 degress celcius. Nafees and Aftab Ahmed showed glimses of their stroke play before both being dismissed in the 30's.

Talking to Aftab i told him he has chance of playing in the National team and he said 'he does not know if he will get the chance or not as he has heard nothing'.

I also asked Nafees Ahmed the same question and he replied 'i am taking it step by step as i was dropped for the U19 world cup and now i'm back in and have no thoughts of playing in National team yet but inshallah i will play very soon as everything is in the hands of allah.

Aftab is very impressed on how Nafees Ahmed is doing and so are all the other players and management team.

When Nafees does get his chance to play in the National squad he will do well, i'll put my house on it.

chinaman
August 10, 2004, 07:42 AM
That's pretty good observation, SHISH AHMED. How come you are not at today's game? We could get more info from you.

Where are the pictures?

By the way, please write down your conversations with the players as well as your own thoughts and either post here or u2u to me or any moderator. We will publish it in the front page.