PDA

View Full Version : Team Selection: Double Standard?

Mahmood
August 7, 2004, 12:15 PM
According to Bangladesh er khela - last 10 scores in ODI:

Alok Kapali: 3, 1, 10, 28, 2, 1, 5, 8 ,18 & 9
Hannan: 1, 0, 0, 9, 0, 25, 10, 4, 4, 28 & 59*

Seems to me, Hannan was just back in form before being dropped. Not fair, if he was still dropped based on his test performence.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by Rajputro]

rassel
August 7, 2004, 12:31 PM
I guess too many big "o" gat to him. Especially those first ball duck .;)

PoorFan
August 7, 2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by rassel
I guess too many big "o" gat to him. Especially those first ball duck .;)
As you said.

fwullah
August 7, 2004, 11:57 PM
Not fair

Yep, this poor fellow has been in and out of the Bangladesh squad for quite some time now. You'll see the same things even before those last 10 matches.

So, is Hannan getting out of the team for being NOT AS TALENTED as Kapali?

I read some bengali paper saying that Hannan was dropped this time because of being 'unattentive' - Omonojogi.

chinaman
August 8, 2004, 01:32 AM
Selection by no means an easy task. Controversy and unfairness lurk just around the corner at all times. In the absence of a solid yardstick, many factors come in to play in the process of selection. Statistics is just one of them. Any judgement based solely on stats is not only unfair but also wrong.

Putting aside the stats, personally I think the selectors desperately wanted and still want, to stabilized the middle order and Kapali became the benificiary of that dire need. I believe the selectors wanted to give Kapali a rest since long but they decided to bank on him instead since he had more theoretical "potential" over the other contenders like Tushar, Sanwar and Al Shahriar. Unfortunately and to our dismay, that didn't turned out the way we all hoped for.

The best way to describe Kapali, I think is to say in Bangla:

Ze onek kotha hoye eshechilo othocho ekti kothao bole zainee.