PDA

View Full Version : Whatmore: There are Star Players, But no Match Winners

fwullah
August 9, 2004, 11:04 AM
According to Bangladesher Khela, our coach Dav Whatmore has said that the Bangladesh national team has quite a number of star performers, but there are no match winners in the team.

I thought Mohammad Ashraful is a match winner? If he's not, then certain Tareq Aziz is, only that Tareq is quite expensive when he's not winning us matches (and so he needs to learn a lot about pace bowling). Its just a thought.

So, if we agree to Whatmore, then which players have the potential to be match-winners? And if we don't agree, then what?

Obviously, there cannot be 11 match winners in one team, some players have to participate in the supporting role.

Zobair
August 9, 2004, 11:13 AM
Well to be able to assign matchwinner tag to anyone in the team we need to start winning regularly and someone has to play a consistent role in those wins. Are any of those conditions fulfilled? :umm:

nihi
August 9, 2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by pompous
Well to be able to assign matchwinner tag to anyone in the team we need to start winning regularly and someone has to play a consistent role in those wins. Are any of those conditions fulfilled? :umm:

Or to further simply, we need someone who wins matches after matches for us. I can't remember Ashraful or anybody else is doing that. Am I missing something?

oracle
August 9, 2004, 11:27 AM
Dav Whatmore has said that the Bangladesh national team has quite a number of star performers, but there are no match winners in the team.

I don't agree with him even with the "Star performer" tag.. Have'nt seen it or must have missed it somehow.

Who are the star performers. A star bowler performer must be someone like Murali or Irfan, who are capable of bagging 3,4 or 5 wickets within a space of overs, taking out the openers or cleanly mopping out a tail without much runs. Star batsman, someone like Inzamam, who can stick on to the last over, despite the whole batting line up demolished.

But we still have "potential star performers".

Zobair
August 9, 2004, 11:30 AM
I guess Whatmore is being careful. He is trying to balance 'bash' with some encouragement :P Man! I so don't envy his job.

Originally posted by oracle

Dav Whatmore has said that the Bangladesh national team has quite a number of star performers, but there are no match winners in the team.

I don't agree with him even with the "Star performer" tag.. Have'nt seen it or must have missed it somehow.

Who are the star performers. A star bowler performer must be someone like Murali or Irfan, who are capable of bagging 3,4 or 5 wickets within a space of overs, taking out the openers or cleanly mopping out a tail without much runs. Star batsman, someone like Inzamam, who can stick on to the last over, despite the whole batting line up demolished.

But we still have "potential star performers".

Ibrahim
August 9, 2004, 11:41 AM
I don'g agree with WM, hardly there is any playere who can be compare with other test playing team except Zimb

Rubu
August 9, 2004, 12:02 PM
currently, there is no match winner or star performer. but, in the future there could be some.

1. ash
2. masri
3. rajin
4. rana
5. alok
6. rajjak

in few years, any number of these can turn out to be match winners. suman and rafiq are out of equation since they have already passed (are right now at) their primetime.

Ahmed_B
August 9, 2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by oracle

Irfan... Murlidharan... Inzamam... they are not actually just star players.. they r THE MATCH WINNERS!!

they can single-handedly take a match out frm the opponent!

That is what our team doesn't have...
the confidence in someone who doesn't bother what the match pressure is and completely dominates the opponent like a MONSTER!!

AsifTheManRahman
August 9, 2004, 01:42 PM
My potential star player: Nafis Iqbal...lol

My potential match winner: null

sageX
August 9, 2004, 02:24 PM
Match winners:

Australia:

All 11

Sri Lanka

Muralitharan
Attapatu
Joyasuria

India

Sachin Tendulkar
R. Dravid
Sheweg
Ganguly [Naaaa]

Pakistan

Inzamamul
Shoib Aktar

England

Flintoff

West Indies
Lara

Bangladesh
??

Zimbabwe
??

Bangladesh has Lack of Match winner. But there is a thing called stealing a win here and there. Don't we have a thief who can steal a win once in a while.

MondayMorningQB
August 9, 2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by sageX
Match winners:

Bangladesh
??

Zimbabwe
??

Bangladesh has Lack of Match winner. But there is a thing called stealing a win here and there. Don't we have a thief who can steal a win once in a while.

We have one or I should rather say we Had one who could steal a win once in a while
... And that is our “One and only One” CHACHA!!!

Bangla Mostan
August 9, 2004, 03:27 PM
I agree with Dav's comment. To have star players is an achivement and a step in the right direction, but now we have to convert some of the star players into match winners...so that transition is taking place...as this relates once again to individual perfomances...if players can shine..and be united..then a victory wouldbe the very MINIMUM of our achievements....so Dav is really being honest as at this current moment..we do lack match winners, hence our statistics in results show.

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 10, 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by sageX
Match winners:

India

Sachin Tendulkar
R. Dravid
Sheweg
Ganguly [Naaaa]

u missed players like yuvraj and pathan, who r the real match winners for india.

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 10, 2004, 12:45 AM
bangladesh has just 1 star player atthe moment in mohammed rafique. others just havethe potential to be star players and match winners.

some of the players who have the potential to be match winners are -

mohammed ashraful - hut a crusial 32 ball 54 against zimbabwe in the 1st odi to take bd to 238 batting 1st and give bd a chance to win the 1st match.

mohammed rafique - has been doing well in test cricket taking wickets regularly and is a useful batsman as well having hit a test 100 already.

manjural islam rana - has started his odi career with a bang, but too early to judge. however, a 30+ ave looks impressive.

nafis iqbal - is said to be a talented batsman. has been doing well in the u-19s for bd. last year, against a touring eng side, he even hit a 100 and called eng as "ordinary" and showing how much talent he has. he is already a match winner in u-19 level for bd.

others could be - rajin saleh, alok kapali, tapash baisya and tareq aziz.

rafiq
August 10, 2004, 01:10 AM
Since when is Tareq Aziz a match winner (FW)?

You don't have any match winners when you don't win many matches, lol. Bulbul (and Akram) come to mind from the past, they would sometimes dominate. Sujon has actually won a couple of matches for us. Rafique and Bashar had come close on the Test stage, but both of their stars have dimmed recently (especially Rafique - weren't we calling him "world class" only a few months ago). Of the current players, I think only Mashrafee could become a match winner.

[Edited on 10-8-2004 by rafiq]

AsifTheManRahman
August 10, 2004, 02:02 AM
Michael Vaughan, Mahela Jayawardene, Shoaib Malik, Irfan Pathan, Yuvraj Singh, Heath Streak, Grant Flower, Abdur Razzaq and a couple of others have been left out of the list.

SS
August 10, 2004, 02:24 PM
chacha has the spirit of match winning but he is not a match winner!!!!

MohammedRafiqueIdolizer
August 22, 2004, 06:15 PM
What about Harmison yaar? has no one heard about what hes doing?

Shehwar
August 23, 2004, 12:08 AM
A match winner is someone who wins matches for you almost single handedly on a regular basis. Just the mere fact that no Bangladeshi bowler has ever taken a 5 wicket haul and no Bangladeshi batter but one has ever scored a century in ODIs signifies the fact that there aren’t any match winners in our team.

Basri
August 23, 2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by SS
chacha has the spirit of match winning but he is not a match winner!!!!
Yes, chacha has the spirit.
Ash and Bashar also have the spirit but usually don't click together. For match winning, they need to be clicked together.

DOORBIN
August 23, 2004, 07:22 PM
Amit, I almost agree 100% with what you have said. I will just add:

MATCH WINNER - Nafis Iqbal

STAR PERFORMERS - Habibul Bashar, Mohammad Rafique, Mohammad Ashraful. I am quite sure Dav meant these players as star performers.