PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Test: BD-U19 vs Eng-U19

Pages : 1 2 [3]

betaar
August 12, 2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by BETAAR
a'right guys, Hildreth is bowling and I have a bad feeling about it, most of the time batsmen with good score end up getting vital wickets, I hope our batsmen don't get carried away and and get out.

couldn't even finish with my post.

Basri
August 12, 2004, 12:12 PM
nadif goes.....

reyme
August 12, 2004, 12:13 PM
no colapse please

jubaitca
August 12, 2004, 12:15 PM
just to mention..... almost all the english team's players 19 years old

reyme
August 12, 2004, 12:15 PM
hildreth to aftab

Basri
August 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
cracinfo not updating. any collapse?

mahbubH
August 12, 2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by jubaitca
just to mention..... almost all the english team's players 19 years old

What do you want to say - are they older than our players?

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:21 PM
cricinfo is killing me whats going on

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:23 PM
i think some body gone

mahbubH
August 12, 2004, 12:23 PM
they may bring back Nadif!

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
they may bring back Nadif!

:D maybe you are right

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:25 PM
op this is too much

Basri
August 12, 2004, 12:25 PM
maybe stumps

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:26 PM
whats going on :mad: cricinfo

allrounder
August 12, 2004, 12:26 PM
na vai kothai vagi nai, khaowa daowa koira ashlam.

r brother, once in a blue moon valo khelle valo kotha shunben, kintu continuously kharap khelle, kharap kotha shunaite parbona?

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by allrounder]

betaar
August 12, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by allrounder

r brother, once in a blue moon valo khelle valo kotha shunben, kintu continuously kharap khelle, kharap kotha shunaite parbona?

pls don't humiliate your country to prove your point,

BD Cricket--- Love it or Leave it.

Emad03
August 12, 2004, 12:35 PM
i thought this form was to express your thoughts.

I letting people expressing their thoughts is a good idea (frustations basically) so when one day when we be amognst the likes of India Pak And SRILANKA that will make then eat their words

PS we are not far away

reyme
August 12, 2004, 12:39 PM
Maybe it is TEA Day 3.

Or Cricinfo Guy went on break

reyme
August 12, 2004, 12:41 PM
allrounder why are you using bush's picture??

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:42 PM
oh man i can.t wait any more its crazy

MondayMorningQB
August 12, 2004, 12:43 PM
Ke holo ki holo sobi kothai gelo?

Is it stumps yet? What is the final score for today?

reyme
August 12, 2004, 12:44 PM
maybe somebody should call McInnes to get the latest, rana is getting restless :lol:

rana
August 12, 2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by reyme
maybe somebody should call McInnes to get the latest, rana is getting restless :lol:

:lol:

Sakin
August 12, 2004, 12:47 PM
i think it was an emergency, borna situation.:P

reyme
August 12, 2004, 12:53 PM
all the county games and test in England shows they are stumps for the day, maybe same goes with this match.

stumps 155/5?

Too bad to lose Nadif's wicket at the last minute

jubaitca
August 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
atlast updated!!!!!!!!!!

Sakin
August 12, 2004, 01:01 PM
yea sayan they r back

Navarene
August 12, 2004, 01:02 PM
What the heck!

Last Wicket: 171/7
Aftab Ahmed c Davies b Wright 91 (189m 139b 12x4 2x6) SR: 65.47

Sakin
August 12, 2004, 01:02 PM
gonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne
mushi and aftab

rana
August 12, 2004, 01:03 PM
stumps day 3

Sakin
August 12, 2004, 01:03 PM
i guess we know the result now....10 wkt England victory

nihi
August 12, 2004, 01:08 PM
Munday got Mushy's wicket. I guess we should ban munday or sonday playing on thursday

allrounder
August 12, 2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BETAAR

pls don't humiliate your country to prove your point,

BD Cricket--- Love it or Leave it.

I dont want to humiliate my country, the players and the team have been doing that with their performance.

So when the players do that what do you tell them?

Beamer
August 12, 2004, 01:14 PM
It must have been bad light that caused the delay and not Tea. Otherwise, it won't be stumps so soon after tea. It broke the rhythm totally. You know, mother nature hasn't been too kind to us. It interevened in critical times to both the junior and senior teams..shh...won't even mention the flood.

guy_zin
August 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
just no idea why the guys here in this forum raise some lame excuses like mother nature intervened against the bd players or something like this & that all the time..why not we can call a spade a spade..if somebody wants to, he can find the utter nonsense revolving the bd batsman after batsman there is sheer irresponsibily on our batsmens part..i guess, this guys dont deserve to be on this level..there is some mental blocks within themselves

allrounder
August 12, 2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by guy_zin
just no idea why the guys here in this forum raise some lame excuses like mother nature intervened against the bd players or something like this & that all the time..why not we can call a spade a spade..if somebody wants to, he can find the utter nonsense revolving the bd batsman after batsman there is sheer irresponsibily on our batsmens part..i guess, this guys dont deserve to be on this level..there is some mental blocks within themselves

I agree with you. BD cricket fans humiliate BD more when they give this type of explanation for their performance.

Can you believe that we have 3/4 players who played first class test and one day internationals???

Beamer
August 12, 2004, 01:54 PM
It was just an observation! not an excuse!
as it happened a few times within the last year or so. I am just saying that weather didn't help us either in a few situations. I am not excusing our batsmen and their lack of you know what. Calm down.

allrounder
August 12, 2004, 02:07 PM
did all the fans leave the forum already? they dont feel like posting anything as post-review of today's session?

guy_zin
August 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
... just think what a chance nafees iqbal missed. he could apply himself more to the crease..that would be a great exposure for him as weel the the team bd..but this moron did what? man this guy has talent no doubt..but whats the point of having those so called telent & not applying that..the main motivation a player should have that is ..doing something good for his country is completely missing in this bunch of guys..may be they play for their personal glory or something like that.. there is nothing there called patriotic zeal with the players either in seniors or in junior tigers..which is very much even in the members of banglacricket forum members

AsifTheManRahman
August 12, 2004, 02:31 PM
Dhora khaise bangladesh...

yeah we know the result...10 wicket victory for england...

but good to see aftab ahmed in runs...hope he keeps it up in the champions trophy...

on the other hand, we still have a long way to go in order to do well against stronger sides on a regular basis in any level...

rassel
August 12, 2004, 02:54 PM
I donít really care much about this game. Just want to see these three boys who will be joining the marshmallow tiger get some decent practice before the cup. :umm:

allrounder
August 12, 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by BD Tigers
Originally posted by Mueid
allrounder bhagse

i think i ran him out from here. i hate to see people talk trash abt our country or team.

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by BD Tigers]

[]

ami rajakar na, I made comments based on facts, figures and experience.

I love my country, and because I love BD, it hurts very mcuh to see when players let BD down, over and over, over, over again.

These players decided to take the responsibility of fighting for BD with the talents they have, but they are not fighting well or even fighting with the talents and skills they have, even with so many chances we are giving them.

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by pompous : Mueid is absolutely out of line here]

Emad03
August 12, 2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by BD Tigers
allrounder bhagse

i think i ran him out from here. i hate to see people talk trash abt our country or team.

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by BD Tigers]

[]

ami rajakar na, I made comments based on facts, figures and experience.

I love my country, and because I love BD, it hurts very mcuh to see when players let BD down, over and over, over, over again.

These players decided to take the responsibility of fighting for BD with the talents they have, but they are not fighting well or even fighting with the talents and skills they have, even with so many chances we are giving them.

THis form is all about bangladesh teaam is the good team.Anyone who calls it bad is a razzakar.

i agree with allrounder for once.Why should we go through this pain all the time?

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by pompous : Mueid's quote is absolutely out of line.]

Arnab
August 12, 2004, 06:54 PM
THis form is all about bangladesh teaam is the good team.Anyone who calls it bad is a razzakar.

You don't mean it. Because that's not what this forum is about.

Piranha
August 12, 2004, 07:50 PM

this is utter nonsense. This forum is not about calling people razakar...it is about discussing BD cricket. We are free to discuss the good the bad and the ugly of BD cricket as much as we like. Please dont bring in the issue of Razakar.

Emad03
August 12, 2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Piranha

this is utter nonsense. This forum is not about calling people razakar...it is about discussing BD cricket. We are free to discuss the good the bad and the ugly of BD cricket as much as we like. Please dont bring in the issue of Razakar.

i didnt bring it up

it was this muied guy i guess

Zobair
August 12, 2004, 11:06 PM
Let us not cast aspersions on anyone now. This is just a game of cricket. It is not life and death. Our boys perhaps can't perform to our expectations. But thats it really. They are learning. And please don't give that "Oh thats always what we say".....come on! these are the U19s for Godssake and this is the time they should learn about how to play against quality opposition in alien conditions. I wish we had this much public scrutiny for every government/public job in Bangladesh. Perhaps we wouldn't have such corruption and mismanagement. :) Anyways I am digressing here. Let us stick to cricket. If we have something to criticise then lets do so (within the bounds of common decency and sensibility). Some will feel like criticising. some will look for positives. Thats inevitable. But let us be respectful and tolerant of the diversity of opinions that we will come across in this forum. Last thing we want is for someone to be scared to post an alternate view because they will be singled out and abused. ANd yes calling someone a Razakar is a serious abuse.Thanks.

[Partly Moderator :)]

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by pompous : added a couple of lines.]

Zobair
August 12, 2004, 11:09 PM
Mueid I am warning you! please no more of that razakar reference again in this forum.

Thanks.

[Moderator]

Emad03
August 12, 2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by pompous
Mueid I am warning you! please no more of that razakar reference again in this forum.

Thanks.

[Moderator]

thats the way to go!

The beauty of moderation and repect for others idea leads way to succses .

Remember this sight is accsesed for a known fact by the U 19 coach and i am pretty sure the national team including Dev access this site.So lets help them with our ideas.

We are all in one and only side of the coin.
i.e GO BANGLADESH. Give your BEST!:flag::flag::flag:

vv_sunil
August 13, 2004, 12:00 AM
So when the players do that what do you tell them?

[Edited on 12-8-2004 by allrounder] [/quote]

agree with u

fwullah
August 13, 2004, 04:20 AM
Its good to see that at least one of the three national candidates is learning and getting some valuable match-practice.

Aftab facing 170 odd balls, doesn't matter how much he scored - its a longer version match after all

fwullah
August 13, 2004, 04:26 AM
168 balls to be exact - 29 balls in the first innings and 139 balls in the second innings.

PoorFan
August 13, 2004, 05:16 AM
Got out from the last over of the day is so frustrating, but was a brilliant innings.

vv_sunil
August 13, 2004, 05:32 AM
178/9

vv_sunil
August 13, 2004, 05:33 AM
Bangladesh Under-19s lead by 55 runs with 1 wicket remaining

Rain Stopped Play

vv_sunil
August 13, 2004, 05:34 AM
12th player has the capacity to draw the match to a draw... it is rain..... let us pray for that

Basri
August 13, 2004, 05:36 AM
The 12th player is playing now. He needs to make a day-long century today.

PoorFan
August 13, 2004, 05:40 AM
Too many caught behind in this test.
Does it mean anything like technical weakness of the batsman?

Habibul_bashar
August 13, 2004, 05:48 AM
Bangladesh Under-19s 273 & 178/9 (58 ov) v England Under-19s 396
Rain Stopped Play
Bangladesh Under-19s lead by 55 runs with 1 wicket remaining
Ashim Chowdhury 4* Enamul Haque jnr 0* LJ Wright 3/29 ML Turner 3/47
Last wicket: 177/9 Shahadat Hossain b Turner 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mahbubH
August 13, 2004, 06:00 AM
Just got in ... only 7 runs in last 3 wickets ... different than the seniors ... U19 show their ability to collapse 155/4 at one time then 178/10... good job ... keep getting experience!

fwullah
August 13, 2004, 06:06 AM
The batting performance is consistent with the Bangladesh National Team, but I am disappointed to see that all the Under-19 players are playing like really Under-19 against the England Under-19 team.

Considering all the facts, and the difference between our selection process to England's, it is pretty disappointing.

To be precise, the Under-19 players of England will not get the chance to play for the England national team until they're quite old - 25/26 in general, while our under-19 players will play (or have played) their first International match at the age of 19/20.

So in my opinion, our Under-19 players should have shown a bit more than they have done so far.

Basri
August 13, 2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
Just got in ... only 7 runs in last 3 wickets ... different than the seniors ... U19 show their ability to collapse 155/4 at one time then 178/10...
U19 don't have long tail like their seniors.

mohd azam
August 13, 2004, 06:36 AM
England Under-19s won by 8 wickets

fwullah
August 13, 2004, 06:37 AM
It looks like Nazmul has got some fire in him.

Nazmul 2 wickets ENG U-19 5 runs away from win

mohd azam
August 13, 2004, 06:43 AM
Best Batting Aftab Ahmed 2 MATCH 163 best is 91 Best In BD U 19
2nd best is Shamsur Rahman
1 match 91 best is 68
Best bowling Nazmul Hossain 75.4 overs 272 for 11 in two match
2nd best is Nazmul Hossain 49 overs 207 runs for 6 in two match

amit(a huge BD fan)
August 13, 2004, 07:01 AM
bd u-19s r following their seniors:mad:

akabir77
August 13, 2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by amit(a huge BD fan)
bd u-19s r following their seniors:mad:

Thanks amit for your support. You know i have those two game in record and i forgot how many times i have watched those games... (normally i do that every time BD looses to bring my spirit back...)

True-Tiger
August 13, 2004, 08:34 AM
Guys, don't be impatient with our U-19 boys. I still think they are a lot better than our national squad.

I fell they really have good chance to win 1-day international against any top sides.

As far as test goes, they need to play more to get used to the tricks of the trade. Hence, be patient...............

allrounder
August 13, 2004, 08:56 AM
We have done the same thing over and over again, nothing diff than our senior team. This gives me the indication that there is a major flaw in the cricket culture and environment of Bangladesh. all the cricketers have similar performance failures or success.

I think there is something wrong with the way we Bangladeshis grow up to be a cricket player. How come we are all doing the same thing? No player is different than the other? Is it a cultural. environmental thing that makes every cricketer make the same mistakes and collapsing everytime?

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by allrounder]

mahbubH
August 13, 2004, 09:21 AM
I am waiting for the comments from the coach there might be some positives in this loss which can take our youngstars to the future. It is frustarting .... really ... loss after loss ...

we should stop congratulating individual good performances until they get some wins. Individual good performances once in a while are getting more coverage than the losses which should not be. Something is wrong in our system ...

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by sports_fan_bd]

chinaman
August 13, 2004, 09:25 AM
It is always sad for the fans to see the team loose. But that's not the end of the world. In fact, this is just the beginning. This is the first time ever our young boys have been exposed to 4 day matches. They even choose a tough opponent with seasoned players and system.

There are many positives in the match. It has been a tough lesson for them so far. The experience is sure to enrich their knowledge. We have just started out to systematically nurture the age groups. This is sure to attract more youngsters to come out of their shell.

English side wasn't that extra ordinary. Their captain was very consistent. Their bowling department looked for our weaknesses. After making the plan, they stick to it and executed in sync and with discipline.

What made the big difference is the class and tenacity of the English team. When they were in trouble some one was able to rise on the occasion. We had some consistent performances and even a few managed to rise up but it proved not to be enough. Besides, a few like Dhiman and Nafees Iqbal didn't do much justice to their talent and capability.

We had many caught behinds, four in the first innings and five in the second. Don't know about the slip though. We need to work on that. We also allowed many boundaries which calls for improvements in that area too. Don't know about dropped catches and misfielding though.

It was readily apparent that we have weaknesses against quality bowling. More tours might help overcome this short comings. Probably we can develop our A team based on this core group.

I still don't know why Rajib has been bowling only few overs. Perhaps he has some how been protected?

Yes, we need to continue the experiment of playing different players in each mach. This will maximize the exposure. And in the end it will be this exposure that will help them to mature and burst their way to the senior team. We need to keep our calendar busy.

We still have one more test and the complete one day series ahead of us. This tour will be an invaluable lesson for the boys irrespective of the result. If we continue to care about the age groups, it will not take much longer to see the result start coming our way.

allrounder
August 13, 2004, 09:45 AM
It is always good and necessary to encourage, support the players and the team, look at the positive outcome and hope that they will learn, take lesson and use the experience in the next game.

But it is also necessary to point out the things that they have done wrong, especially when they repeat the mistakes everytime.

If they had taken lesson from the first test then the second test should have been atleast somewhat different.

I am not demanding or expecting a win, I want players to fight and survive the attack and strategies of our opponents. It is sad to see how easily we get blown away by others.

Ahmed_B
August 13, 2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by True-Tiger
Guys, don't be impatient with our U-19 boys. I still think they are a lot better than our national squad.

... you must be kidding!...:umm:

Unlike you.. I really do prefer keeping my foot on the ground actually...!!

players from both the National & U-19 teams come from the same background and from same sort of training... how can the U-19 be exceptionally better??!!

the National team is superior to the U-19 in terms of facilities.. coaching.. nutrition.. big match exposure and in every other possible way...!!

how is the U-19 better??... is it just a hunch or a wishful thinking??
:umm:

.. look at the performance now... !!

so many ppl had been saying tht U-19 will be much better simply because the National team hasn't been doing very well..

But hei... the juniors r from the same root in terms of training!!

yes... for being the Test generation... they may do slightly better than their seniors in the future.. but they still need the same kind of purification that the National team itself needs!!
:cool:

AsifTheManRahman
August 13, 2004, 10:41 AM
a one sided end to the match...

however, this was nothing unexpected. we knew the english team would be very strong, especially in their own conditions. if we can keep up this kind of performance as well as improve on a couple of things, these players may bring us a bright future.

mzia
August 13, 2004, 12:15 PM
Tigers, all, need some mental maturity. To be able to understand the demand of the situation, what team needs now?

In 2nd innings Aftab made 91 from 139 Balls, Nadif made 33 from 48 balls and Dhiman made from 10 from 14.

All strikes rates were above 65%, which does not commensurate with the match demand.

There was no effort to save the match.

Navarene
August 13, 2004, 01:36 PM
But it is also necessary to point out the things that they have done wrong, especially when they repeat the mistakes everytime.

Now lets see the way you have "pointed out the things that they have done wrong" thru the following quote of your own:

BD is the worst cricket nation I have seen so far. They should be used as a team to practise with for all other cricket teams.

What I mean to point out is that please breath deep and stop mumbling out wayward craps that might take neither you nor our cricket to anywhere.

question to our U-19 coach:
You have some good batsmen in your belt who are capable of scoring big runs(for instance Nafees, Aftab, Dhiman, Nasif etc). We believe that you are aware of the fact that they consistantly fail to keep it in mind "the demand of the match situation, what team needs now"(mzia) and end up hitting some quick 6's and 4's and then collapse. Do you point out to your boys how important it is to play according to the merit and situation of the match?

chinaman
August 13, 2004, 01:56 PM
The second test had a disappointing conclusion when we could only set England 56 runs to win in the 2nd innings. Again had we been able to set them around 200 or 250 it would have been a genuine chance as there were some good footmarks for our spinners to work with and Nazmul Hossain is bowling well.

Aftab batted very well in the second innings to score 91 and is demonstrating a new level of maturity with his batting. It has been a tough challenge to get him to do this, but I am pleased with the progress he has made and hope he can take this into the Championís trophy. He received a very good ball from England Luke Wright in the last over, yesterday, that pitched on middle and off and moved away getting a faint edge on the way through.

Aftab and Nadif batted very well to get through a very good spell of bowling, to add 88 for the 5th wicket before Nadif was caught behind to a ball that swung a long way from medium pacer James Hildreth.

To summarise the test without going through all the scores, some key points can be identified

Our batsmen struggled with the swinging ball as we simply donít have to face it in Bangladesh, not for more than a few overs anyway. In England the balls swings for 80 overs. A problem we have identified is that our practice matches have been played with a type of ball (Readers) that does not swing nearly as much as the Dukes ball which is used in the Test matches. The standard of the opposition teams in the practice matches has been good, but the ball has not swung as much and we have spun teams out.

A positive is that most of our batsmen are not throwing their wickets away and have developed much more patience. They are being dismissed to caught balls, some they may be able to let go, but when the ball is swinging a lot that is always difficult to do. Steve Davies, the England keeper collected 9 catches for the match, Alistair Cook at 1st slip 2, Patel at 2nd slip 1 along with 3 players bowled by swinging deliveries. That is 17 of 20 dismissals for the match. Nazim Uddin was lbw in the first innings to a ball that would have got most batsmen out, although it may have been swinging too much. The only foolish shots were Dhiman in both innings and Mushfiqur Rahim in the second innings.

The Bangladesh team displayed magnificent fighting ability with the ball and with a little more experience bowling with a ball that swings will be formidable opposition in time. We spent 5 weeks at BKSP working with the bowlers on swinging the ball, but it is just not the same as real match practice.

Absolute summary Ė we need more practice both batting against and bowling with a ball that swings for extended period of time.

Observing the match from the stands it was a case of men playing boys in terms of experience, regardless of the playersí ages. The talk on the field during a match from the English players indicated a higher level of understanding of the game then our team. The fact that many of the English team are playing in County 1st XIís is a major factor. James Hildreth for example has spent the last 5 weeks batting at 4 with Ricky Ponting at 3 for Somerset, there is no where in Bangladesh for our players to gain this on field experience.

Making comparisons between the U19 and National team is foolish and of no real benefit to anyone. Both teams are playing in different competitions and you canít compare apples with oranges.

A major issue is the level of domestic cricket in Bangladesh, is that players aged 20 are basically the leading players in the competition and there fore are not really challenged. The quality and quantity of cricket played is making it near impossible for our players to ever compete with leading international teams. The concept of playing 132 games in 40 something days on four grounds summarises where the priorities of our domestic cricket lies. The important fact is to ensure people can play so they can earn their income, and this is very important. However in order to strengthen our international cricket the format of domestic cricket needs to change so it provides a better breeding ground for test cricket. The only way to do this is to have the 4 Day National League competition as the premier competition in the country. It is easier to adapt from 4 day cricket back to one day cricket rather than the other way around. This is an issue beyond my control, but one that I feel needs addressing not just from with the BCB, but from the cricket public who wish the national team to compete internationally.

Please remain patient and keep looking for ways to improve rather than opportunities to criticise, although constructive well thought out criticism is always welcome.

Cheers.

Beamer
August 13, 2004, 02:31 PM
Great stuff from the Coach. Very Valuable info indeed. We just need to be patient as well and support the players. It is great to see a coach communicating very candidly with the public and he has been fair with us, unlike some print media people back home who undertook a smear campaign against him. We had to read a lot of garbage from them painting McIness very negatively. I know its offtopic but the murky diluted picture that was painted, is baseless nonetheless.

Piranha
August 13, 2004, 04:39 PM
Yes, Thanks again for being so frank and open with us. It means a lot to fans like us.

It is good to learn that most of the wickets that went down were due to good bowling rather than poor shot selection. This speaks volumes about the importance of such tours.

One thing, I must mention. After Nafees Iqbal scored the magnificient 266, many members expressed skepticism about the achievement. I have no doubt that the achievement was genuine and worth praise, but it does however re-inforce the view among the fans that we are a team of practice match bullies. When the push comes to shove, our batsmen's nerves fail and they struggle to stand up and be counted (apologies for so many cliches).

There is no doubt that the Coach and the players are aware of this problem and are working to resolve it. The question is, how long will it take to solve and is 'more match practice' the only solution?

IanW
August 13, 2004, 04:53 PM
[quote]Originally posted by chinaman
However in order to strengthen our international cricket the format of domestic cricket needs to change so it provides a better breeding ground for test cricket. The only way to do this is to have the 4 Day National League competition as the premier competition in the country. It is easier to adapt from 4 day cricket back to one day cricket rather than the other way around. This is an issue beyond my control, but one that I feel needs addressing not just from with the BCB, but from the cricket public who wish the national team to compete internationally.[/list]

A long time ago, the legendary Australian cricket broadcaster (and ex-Bradman era NSW player) Alan McGilvray proposed that rather than one-day or four-day cricket, teams play two day games, with each side getting 100 overs.

If you got the other side out early, you got any overs they had left.

That way, batsmen had enough time to play long innings, and bowlers had an incentive to take wickets, rather than bowl to contain.

He also noted that the majority of Test innings lasted 100 overs or less, and that a full days batting was more than enough to score centuries.

This could be something for Bangladesh to think about, as a compromise between one-day cricket and real cricket.

Ian Whitchurch

Piranha
August 13, 2004, 06:42 PM
IanW, I hadn't heard that before, but it does seem very promising. I wonder why no one ever picked up on it though.

I think the only true solution is to have an extended league with all varities of games. A bit like the ENglish system that has one day, longer versions, as well as a 20twenty version

bourny3
August 14, 2004, 12:19 AM
Why didnt shamsur Rahman play in this game

observer
August 14, 2004, 11:34 AM
The 2 day match format is what is played through the Australia capital cities as the top competition below the first class arena. It is a good form of cricket and as Ian points out many teams struggle to bat for 100 overs anyway, so i think this may be a good starting point.

As for Shamsu Rahman, this is a development tour so we are rotating players, hence Nazim Uddin played in the second test. You will find in the third test a few more changes to ensure that all players gain valuable experience, which is the aim of the tour at this stage of their development.

chinaman
August 14, 2004, 10:53 PM
James Hildreth

http://www.cricketworld.com/images/articles/2341_JamesHildreth.jpg

chinaman
August 14, 2004, 10:54 PM
http://www.cricketworld.com/images/articles/2422_MarkTurner.jpg

chinaman
August 14, 2004, 10:55 PM
http://www.cricketworld.com/images/articles/2401_LukeWright.jpg

PoorFan
August 14, 2004, 11:20 PM
How come we cant see our boys?

Nasif
August 14, 2004, 11:28 PM
well, u19 games doesn't get as much coverage and pictures.

But you can take a peek at our three u19s:
<a href=http://games.banglacricket.com/profile.php?f=nafis>Nafis</a>
<a href=http://games.banglacricket.com/profile.php?f=nazmul>Nazmul</a>
<a href=http://games.banglacricket.com/profile.php?f=aftab>Aftab</a>

PoorFan
August 14, 2004, 11:42 PM
Thank you nasif.
Like to see all of their picture in future.

chinaman
August 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
Take a look at the following link:

http://banglacricket.com/files/bdparade.jpg

PoorFan
August 15, 2004, 12:19 AM
My god! the whole team looks so young!
Hope their best. Thank you chinaman.

Zobair
August 15, 2004, 12:36 AM
Well they are the U19s poorfan :) Some of them (as in the current tour of England) are significantly U19 and will probably play a couple of U19 cups before they are overage. These are our future. Never despair!

Zobair
August 15, 2004, 01:43 AM
My heart goes out to the young man. What a time to pick up an injury like that?! I had a similar one (from jogging uphill for a couple of hours after a long gap :P ). It put my out of commission for 1 month and some more. Very painful! Best of luck to him and hope he pulls through. Coach! plese keep us updated about his condition and also good luck working with Abdur Razzak's action. Hope to hear some positive news about him from you soon.

Bangla Mostan
August 15, 2004, 03:25 PM
well done Bangladesh..really its time you finally wake up and stop perfoming soo well in insignificant matches...like the practice matches and start concentrating on the important ones.

chinaman
August 15, 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Bangla Mostan
well done Bangladesh..really its time you finally wake up and stop perfoming soo well in insignificant matches...like the practice matches and start concentrating on the important ones. I think you need to wake up yourself and stop calling things like "insignificant matches".

There is no such thing called insignificant matches. It is the exposure, experience and variations in conditions that matters most.

IanW
August 15, 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Bangla Mostan
well done Bangladesh..really its time you finally wake up and stop perfoming soo well in insignificant matches...like the practice matches and start concentrating on the important ones.

Winning is a habit.

Dominating games is a habit.

Knowing you have destroyed attacks a long way away from home is something critical for the development of young cricketers.

And thats what has happened for several of the young Bangladeshi batsmen.

OK, so they lost on the last day against their opposite numbers in England.

Big fat hairy deal. Any time a class batsman gets a double ton, you probably arent going to win ... and JC Hildreth is a class batsman. This is what the ECB say about him "He made a century in only his second first-class match for the county in May 2004 when he made 101 against Durham at Taunton before he was eventually dismissed by Shoaib Akhtar".

They also got batsmen come out of it with experience in English conditions, and some of them even got in amongst the runs.

Oh yeah, and Shahadat is back.

The tour is already a success. If any of the players in it get a contract to play club cricket, it's a resounding success.

Ian Whitchurch

Zobair
August 16, 2004, 02:56 AM
Now Ian you bring up an interesting point. I wonder if there are scouts from the county teams watching some of these U19 matches. It would be very welcome news indeed if a couple of our players are picked up for some club cricket in England.

Edited on, August 16, 2004, 7:57 AM GMT, by pompous.

mohd azam
August 16, 2004, 03:19 AM
Tue 17 - Fri 20 Aug 3rd test will start 2moro

Edited on, August 16, 2004, 8:21 AM GMT, by mohd azam.

IanW
August 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by pompous
Now Ian you bring up an interesting point. I wonder if there are scouts from the county teams watching some of these U19 matches. It would be very welcome news indeed if a couple of our players are picked up for some club cricket in England.

Edited on, August 16, 2004, 7:57 AM GMT, by pompous.

Getting a player into a County squad in England would be great.

But if I was Coach McInness, I'd be doing a ringaround of the Lancashire League, and be on the phone to clubs in Australia and New Zealand.