PDA

View Full Version : Manjurul Islam Rana

nihi
August 11, 2004, 03:30 PM
Has anyone noticed that Rana has the all time highest batting average both in test (36.75) and ODI (30.42, save Anwar hossain with 42.00 playing just one match)?

billah
August 11, 2004, 03:36 PM
Yes, it has been thoroughly discussed in many past threads.:)

nihi
August 11, 2004, 03:58 PM
oh.. ok.. umm.. ye.. ok.. cool

Nasif
August 11, 2004, 04:02 PM
even though he still didn't get test 50, his scores are all 30s.

35*, 31, 39, 7, 35

and ODI
18, 8, 20*, 63, 1, 33*, 6*, 21, 43, 0.

As he bats down the order, he gets chance to stay not out. Even though he is not technically sound as a batsman, he bats with all his heart. Doesn't make foolish shots and usually doesn't do fishing. Thats what makes him different from our other batsmen.

Mueid
August 11, 2004, 04:41 PM
yeh..those not outs boosts his average. bats well this guy...quite confident n intelligent. smth most bd players lack

sheshprohor
August 11, 2004, 04:49 PM
:lol:

even though it was thoroughly discussed It got my attention when a nice nick like 'Nihi' posted that. So don worry 'nihi'....it still works.

Prohor

Zobair
August 11, 2004, 04:50 PM
Actually even if you were to regard the Not outs as outs, he has done commendably in both ODIs and tests when compared to the rest of our players.

nihi
August 11, 2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by sheshprohor
:lol:

even though it was thoroughly discussed It got my attention when a nice nick like 'Nihi' posted that. So don worry 'nihi'....it still works.

Prohor

:duh:

nihi
August 11, 2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by pompous
Actually even if you were to regard the Not outs as outs, he has done commendably in both ODIs and tests when compared to the rest of our players.

And how many tail-ender-not-so-good-batsmen have that average? Besides, Michael Bevan a life-time fluke?

And his avgs(not considering the NOs):
test: 29.4
odi: 21.3

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by nihi]

fwullah
August 12, 2004, 01:05 AM
Doesn't make foolish shots and usually doesn't do fishing

Ummm, actually he misses a lot of balls while trying to edge them. Its just that he's way too confident at the moment to not score below 30 in every other match.

Nasif
August 12, 2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
Ummm, actually he misses a lot of balls while trying to edge them. Its just that he's way too confident at the moment to not score below 30 in every other match.

He does miss, thats his inability as batsman. But I think he fishes considerably less than other batsmen. When he connects bat with ball, it does't look like foolish shot. Usually looks quite ok, but little less classy than a genuine batsman.

Shish Ahmed
August 12, 2004, 10:35 AM
Rana is a good prospect with both bat & ball, but he definetly needs to improve his fielding as he is very average and sometimes looks like a fool in the field...

bourny3
August 13, 2004, 07:17 AM
Rana is my favourite player in the BD team. He will play many tests for the deshis. He could just be in the team for his batting. His bowling is better than his batting and thats why he should be a permenant fixture in the team.

Shish Ahmed
August 13, 2004, 09:10 AM
bruv, you have not commented on his fielding???

bourny3
August 13, 2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SHISH AHMED
bruv, you have not commented on his fielding???

I havent seen him live or on TV so i dont know how bad he is at fielding. is he quite average.

Nasif
August 13, 2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bourny3
I havent seen him live or on TV so i dont know how bad he is at fielding. is he quite average.

You can see him on tv ;)
http://games.banglacricket.com/media.php BD vs PAK round 2 match.

Small clip of his bowling:
http://games.banglacricket.com/picture.php?p=126

bourny3
August 14, 2004, 12:31 AM
Thanxs Nasif

Basri
August 14, 2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by nasif

You can see him on tv ;)
http://games.banglacricket.com/media.php BD vs PAK round 2 match.

Small clip of his bowling:
http://games.banglacricket.com/picture.php?p=126
Great effort. Thanks.

Edited on, August 14, 2004, 6:40 AM GMT, by Basri.

vv_sunil
August 14, 2004, 07:37 AM
rana, my favourite
he is an opener or middle order batsman
he is a good economic bowler
very useful in both version of cricket
give him permanent place in the team
dont keep him out , it will demoralise him

AsifTheManRahman
August 14, 2004, 01:35 PM
Yes Rana is definitely a good prospect for BD Cricket.

However, right now what we need more is someone who can take it to the opponent - someone as devastating and aggressive as Mashrafe...we need players who can cause fear in the hearts of the opponent.

rana
August 14, 2004, 02:07 PM
rana is the man who only played few games .all he played very well like Rahul Daravid:bravo:

Habibul_bashar
August 14, 2004, 02:11 PM
I thinks rana is the man who only played few games .all he played very well like BC Lara:bravo:

nihi
August 14, 2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
Yes Rana is definitely a good prospect for BD Cricket.

However, right now what we need more is someone who can take it to the opponent - someone as devastating and aggressive as Mashrafe...we need players who can cause fear in the hearts of the opponent.

Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean that there is no one less devastating and aggressive than rana is in the current team or there is no player who may cause no less fear in the hearts of the opponent, I would disagree with that. Interestingly, you could give just one example, i.e. mashrafee, who is not even in the team now. Even when he returns, and we hope that happens soon, he will not be scalable with rana. Becuase, masri is a pacer and rana is a spinner/batsman. So far, with whatever chances were given to him, he probably has contributed more than most of the other team members to the team. Which is why, I can't be sure when he is mentioned as a prospect.

sasharif
August 14, 2004, 06:32 PM
We need few more players like Rana. He may not be talented like other so called teen age sensations. But as many of ou said, he plays out with his heart, he is hard working and knows his limitaions. We don't need irresponsible talents, we need responsible hard workers like Rana, who play for their pride, and for the pride of their nation.

AsifTheManRahman
August 15, 2004, 12:41 PM
We dont need players who know their limitations. We don't need players with narrow limitations at all.

What I tried to say when mentioning that we need players who can challenge the opposition was that we need a couple of youngsters to come up and start bashing the ball with great ease, and others to bowl quick maintaining a brilliant line and length - like we've never had before. Or else we won't be able to win matches.

And yes, there isn't any player in the current team who could challenge the opponent as much as Rana. That's unfortunate, though.

Bangla Mostan
August 15, 2004, 03:16 PM
rana is a good player...who needs to focus in establishing and good order and composure..

bourny3
August 16, 2004, 04:13 AM
Rana will be the greatest. With Mashrafe and Talha. Ash is also quite good

nihi
August 16, 2004, 01:42 PM
We dont need players who know their limitations. We don't need players with narrow limitations at all.

What I tried to say when mentioning that we need players who can challenge the opposition was that we need a couple of youngsters to come up and start bashing the ball with great ease, and others to bowl quick maintaining a brilliant line and length - like we've never had before. Or else we won't be able to win matches.

And yes, there isn't any player in the current team who could challenge the opponent as much as Rana. That's unfortunate, though.

We would be ideally looking for what you are asking: couple of young prodigies. But it is not a small matter either to have players who know their limiations. Not all great players are prodigy. Best example in hand might be Rahul Dravid, who so consistently worked on his limitations, eventually taking himself in par with all-time greats. The good thing about having these kind of player is that, prodigy is born and you have to count on your luck for that. But a hard working player can carry himself into greatness. As for Rana's match in the team, looking at the half-full-glass, I would rather consider it fortunate that we have a player like Rana at our disposal.

Arnab
August 16, 2004, 01:52 PM
But it is not a small matter either to have players who know their limiations. Not all great players are prodigy. Best example in hand might be Rahul Dravid, who so consistently worked on his limitations, eventually taking himself in par with all-time greats.

The thing is there are not many Rahul Dravids in BD either. IMO, the level of persistence shown by Dravid is a somewhat prodigious trait itself.

chinaman
August 16, 2004, 02:07 PM
We dont need players who know their limitations.I don't get it. I strongly believe everybody has limitations and there's nothing wrong with it. Great players and people for that matter, know their limitations well and stay in look out for corrections.

With many limitations, may be our players are good but not that great.

BTW, Rana is a very lucky batsmen. From what I gether from various sources but without firsthand account, he servived many a times. What matters most is not how many lives he got but what his score reads. And luck is the first thing we need more than anything else at present. Only if we got couple more lucky players like him!

Edited on, August 16, 2004, 7:15 PM GMT, by chinaman.

nihi
August 16, 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Arnab
The thing is there are not many Rahul Dravids in BD either. IMO, the level of persistence shown by Dravid is a somewhat prodigious trait itself.

No question about that. Dravid's "quantity-to-quality-effort" validates the presence of the persistence-spectrum.