PDA

View Full Version : Thats the Spirit!

Rubu
August 13, 2004, 12:41 PM
Bangladesher Khela posted an article about rajin saleh. Have a look if u have not done that already

Rajin Saleh (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=9376&iCategoryID=1)

I think its a very positive sign that he realized this poor form and decided to work extra hard to make up for it. I'm pretty sure there are already player in the team who think the practice sessions are too much. Rajin can also be a model for them.

then comes the idea of making the ball wet with water so that it will skid and will not bounce too much. a good simulation of english condition. i think the whole team can have some practice like that

Go rajin, show a good cumeback!
:bravo:

fwullah
August 13, 2004, 12:46 PM
Another important thing that came out in this article is that Rajin had no intention of opening, he went to open in the Asia Cup because the team management had told him to do so.

Rubu
August 13, 2004, 12:55 PM
fw, off topic but can't help mentioning. this is the second time..........

u need to change your sig. WI tour is way gone......

nihi
August 13, 2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah Fwullah. Your sign is questionable. Is it that you forgot to change it or you just feel lazy to do so? Or are you talking about champions trophy? If it is so, then why only WI? I guess, you may want to do something about it, otherwise it sadly looks like one of the blondes from the jokes contributed by doggyvorous nishy (n/o j/k).

Imtiaz
August 13, 2004, 04:37 PM
If Rajin thinks, the ball keeps low in England, then I am afraid he is in for a rude shock. English pitches may not be as fast as Perth but it is not slow and low like sub-continental wickets. Normally, they are hard, fast and true.

The wet-top beloved of Fazal Mahmood and Derek Underwood disappeared with covered wickets in the seventies. I feel cricket lost a dimension with that policy.

Underwood could make the ball "talk" in such situations. Oval'68 against Australia and Lord's '74 against Pakistan comes to mind. Nowadays, the rules are biased in favour of batting !

Here, the ball will swing and then seam. If the wicket is a green-top then it will seam prodigiously. Almost any bowler, as long as he bowls in a disciplined manner, i.e.follows the age old disciplines of line and length, will get rewards in England.

You never know, Tapash and Mushfiqur might excel in these conditions !

Piranha
August 13, 2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I am also not sure about the wet ball business. The English pitches can produce disconcerting bounce as well as swing (an image of Andy Caddick flashes through my mind).

I would rather practice on a wet matting surface. I remember playing on a hockey turf that was intentionally kept wet (with a tape tennis ball). It was swinging prodigiously and unpredictably. Thats probablyb as close as we will ever get to English conditions in Dhaka.

IanW
August 13, 2004, 05:17 PM
Seriously, for instant different conditions, use an astroturf-on-concrete pitch, and a tampered ball (get a fastish bowler, and experiment with a bunch of balls. Do all the illegal things. Hair oil. Diesel. Scuff with a bottletop. Oh yeah, and dont do any of these things in the real match. Oh, and Keith Miller always had the most immaculate hair in a match. And that sunscreen on Australian quicks ... useful and effective).

Find a combo that gives swing, and then put the BBC on the radio and give the batsman a cup of tea and some cucumber sandwiches, to get them in the mood of England ... thats your practice combination.

Duct tape or dried glue may also have it's uses.

Heck, if you want to get batsmen used to seriously vicious bounce, just use concrete (and for chrissake put the kid in a helmet. If you cant afford the helmet DO NOT DO THIS. This game is not worth killing anyone over !).

There are plenty of concrete schoolyard pitches in country Australia ... it's part of the reason that Mark Taylor etc were so comfortable on fast bouncy piches.

Ian Whitchurch

Imtiaz
August 13, 2004, 05:29 PM
Mohammedan Sporting Club used to have a concrete practice pitch at the original clubhouse by the Swimming Pool near the Stadium.

Those of you who have seen Daulat Bhai bowl on that wicket would know what a hard bouncy wicket was like. There were no helmets then !

I agree with Ian. Astro-turf is a reasonable imitation. However, both have the same problem. You could reproduce the bounce but not the seaming conditions of a green-top. You need real grass for that !

Piranha
August 13, 2004, 07:00 PM
(off topic)
In Dhaka, it is quite typical to see practice pitches that have concrete on only half the pitch (i guess the builders were saving money!). I remember some very nasty odd bounce whenever the ball pitched too short!

cricketfan
August 13, 2004, 08:10 PM
Saleh will be in for a rude shock in England if he feels that the balls will skid in England. Sachin Tendulkar is also practicing with wet rubber balls but on concrete pitches so that the ball bounces more. He is getting used to the bounce and pace that he expects to face in England.

Sachin practices with wet rubber balls (http://www.htcricket.com/htcricket/14_941996.htm)

[Edited on 14-8-2004 by cricketfan]

Imtiaz
August 14, 2004, 06:02 AM
Ironically, I have just been watching the start of the 3rd days play Eng. vs WI and because there is a wet outfield due to rain yesterday [ washed-out, Friday ], the commentators were saying that as the ball picks up moisture from the outfield, it will swell up and stop swinging and seaming.

In fact, Rajin is practising for circumstances that hardly ever occurs in ODI's in England. Someone ought to tell him.

The standard situation in England is the ball swings and seams - certainly in the first 10/20 overs. If it remains cloudy , it might swing all day.

chinaman
August 14, 2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Imtiaz
In fact, Rajin is practising for circumstances that hardly ever occurs in ODI's in England. Someone ought to tell him.Tell it to Sachin first :lol:

"Sachin Tendulkar has come up with a new ploy to negotiate speed merchants Shoaib Akhtar of Pakistan and Brett Lee of Australia as well as other quickies in upcoming battles -- playing with wet rubber balls on concrete pitches.

The batting genius asked a few aspiring fast bowlers to soak the rubber balls in a bucket of water before facing them on a concrete pitch at the MIG Club in Mumbai on Tuesday, the club secretary and former Mumbai Cricket Association vice-president Praveen Bharve said on Wednesday.

"He asked the young fast bowlers to bowl the wet rubber balls at his rib cage at full speed and then asked them to make the ball kick up from the good length spot on the off and leg stump so that he could play improvised shots on either side," he added."

Sachinís new ploy to tackle Akhtar and Lee >> (http://www.indiaexpress.com/news/sports/cricket/20040812-0.html)

Piranha
August 14, 2004, 06:44 PM
Wet Rubber ball and concrete is prolly the best combination to use. (I Think) I remember Imran Khan wrote somewhere in his autobiography that he practiced with a wet tennis ball prior to going to England.

Whatever Rajin is doing, he'd better be getting it okayed from Whatmore and co. They would be able to give him the best advice.