PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is going on with this new trainer?

fwullah
August 17, 2004, 12:27 PM
Its in bengali (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=9438&iCategoryID=1)

Just one (or two) day has passed and already the national players are dissatisfied?

Is there any real truth behind the national players' being dissatisfied with Justin Cordy, or is it just an excuse of some of the national players for their failure in the Asia Cup?

I think the reason is both. What do you think?

I have also never heard this before that our Board officials are busy finding out the names of those players who have expressed their dissatisfaction to the local media.

Edited on, August 17, 2004, 5:32 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: All caps removed from title

Zobair
August 17, 2004, 12:41 PM
Its really stupid for players giving anonymous tips to the media. Doesn't do the morale or the atmosphere in the camp any good. There should ne zero tolerance about players talking to media like this. I hope BCB finds these guys and teaches them a lesson.

Rubu
August 17, 2004, 01:00 PM
my question is, is cordy making them work too hard or our players too lazy. may be what he is asking for is the right amount, but our lazy cricketers are not willing to work that hard. just a possibility.

chinaman
August 17, 2004, 01:01 PM
Fitness and motivation do not always go hand in hand. And who says maintaining fitness is easy?

Someday many will thank him.

mahbubH
August 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
You can only find this type of news from Bangladeshi players. They do not have the strngth to face coach, trainer, or BCB people by themselves to talk about the training method but they can pass that to media in some way. I found there is an effort to establish hard training as one of the main reasons for Asia cup performance.... grow up tigers!

Zobair
August 17, 2004, 03:22 PM
Bashar scare for Tigers
Sports Reporter

A training ground injury to his troubled right thumb will keep Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar out of action for at least ten days.
Bashar was struck on the thumb while batting during yesterday's nets at the Bangabandhu National Stadium. It was a similar injury to the one the Tigers skipper had suffered while playing against England in Chittagong last year.

"There is evidence of fracture in the X-ray," Bashar told The Daily Star last night after he had consulted trainer Justin Cordy with the report.

"I will continue to train with the team but I will not attend the batting or fielding sessions," Bashar said adding that there was pain and swelling in the area where he was hurt.

Cordy however termed the fracture as of "minor" proportions and was confident that the country's number one batter will be fit in time for the ICC Champions Trophy in England next month.

"He will take ten days to recover and we might not risk playing him in Bangladesh's practice match in Scotland prior to the Champions Trophy. But he is not a worry for the tournament," said Cordy.

All-rounder Manzarul Islam Rana complained of back pains after the squad's weight training session in the morning. Manzarul did not participate in the nets later. But Cordy, who himself had rejoined the camp on Monday after recovering from illness, said that there was nothing to be concerned about in Manzarul's case too.

Cordy has opted for a more relaxed fitness programme for the England tour compared to the tough physical workout the cricketers endured before the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka.

There were whisperings too that some players were not pleased with the 'excessive' load and had blamed the over-emphasis on fitness as a reason for their lacklustre showing in the regional event.

When asked about the criticism of his training style, Cordy explained: "We certainly worked them hard according to a plan. But a bad start and things went wrong. Once we started to lose, players got into a shell and rather than working to develop as a team, they became negative. It spread among each other. We need to change that so that they can focus on the positives.

'The break when I was in Australia for treatment, gave me time to think about the team's fitness training and reflect on that. We are making fitness more scientific. I am trying to find who needs what and set up specific tasks for each player. Now we have to work as a team to move forward.

'Looking back to Sri Lanka won't help players when they will be playing the Champions Trophy. We are just trying to inject positive thinking, attitude and training so that they can be positive on the field."

On his illness, the Australian said that according to doctors in Australia there was only a remote possibility that he would experience mental blackouts in future like the one he had encountered during the Asia Cup.

"It's a cyst but the doctors could not say why and where it developed. It is in a position that will not affect my brain or activities. They have given me the go ahead to work. To have a similar attack again is a chance in a million."

Source: Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/08/18/d40818040130.htm)

Edited on, August 17, 2004, 8:23 PM GMT, by pompous.

rafiq
August 17, 2004, 03:59 PM
poor babies. maybe they should replace cordy with akram khan. rather than asking what on earth is going on with the trainer, maybe the thread should have been "why are our players such cry babies?"

having said that, cordy should maybe go easier on these guys - no point having a full blown rebellion.

Edited on, August 17, 2004, 9:02 PM GMT, by rafiq.

rassel
August 17, 2004, 07:51 PM
I bet cordy found out what the real deals with our boys are. He knows what he has to do to make our babies a real man. He is simply pushing them toward that destination, which our boys have never done before. Anyway, I have never seen anyone in professional sports complaining about their workout. Itís big shame that topic like this should ever brought forward in public place to discuss. Well, all I gat to say get a fuc*** life to whomever involves in this crap.

:embaressed:

tpusltn
August 17, 2004, 08:13 PM
Ooi Akta Chikon-Beet Loya ayee. Kaam Choor, fitness Kor Bo Naa, Aabaar cricket Khelbo?

Get that your Naki Kanna out of your mind.

Justin, I'm ordering a Noakailla Chot-Ka Seeba--> JhutKa Beet for just incase, Aabar jodi complain kore.

Oh I'm sending Neder Shah from LA, he will be there to help you in case.

bhobishshot
August 17, 2004, 09:29 PM
I think it is shameful that the national players are complaining about their fitness program. I think the coach, BCB officials, and others need to give Justin Cordy whatever he needs to continue with his program. It is his fitness program that is making our U19 kids tough. Complaining will not produce any result. If someone is having difficulty dealing with the fitness program, may be he is not qualified to be in the national squad. We don't need whiner, we need tough guys to win ODIs and Test matches. So, stop whining and start working hard.

Rubu
August 17, 2004, 10:03 PM
i might humbly add to bhobishot that its the fitness issue that gave many of the current national player a chance in the squad. we sacked nannu bulbul and likes based on (more or less) on this fitness issue. he, who is complining, might still be knocking the door of national team instead of playing it if we did not considered fitness as a big issue.

they should not complain about it by any means.

fwullah
August 17, 2004, 10:49 PM
And I thought that the reaction of most posters around here would be - bringing out old issues like Trevor Chappell - under his coaching, our players also used to react like the way they've started reacting now. WHICH IS - CORDY IS TOO TOUGH, LET HIM DEMOTE TO THE U-19 LEVEL.

It is in a way good that us fans - we are going through a change in attitude, a change in our thought process, where no matter how much hard work our players are put into by Justin Cordy, it is OK for their sake!

Well Done!

billah
August 18, 2004, 01:38 AM
I am so glad to see this positive reaction in the fan base here. Cordy is working his heart out, no doubt. Let the cry babies cry. If they don't like the fitness program, they don't have to. There are about 500 more players lined up to take their spot. And the way these guys have been playing lately, even our Tipu bhai can do better with the bat. Where do these reporters get the guts to publish this? Let the players file complaint to the proper people if Cordy is out of line. I am sure he not.

PoorFan
August 18, 2004, 02:45 AM
Cordy may not open his concern to the public, on fitness problem of the national team,
and It's easy to understand. But I think he should give a detail report to BCB on this regard on player basis.
I am sure he may did already.
If our U-19 can trained under him without any problem or complain, how come the senior find it hard or complain able?
Is it just their physical fitness problem or just their attitude problem? If they think that they are playing in top level
and they don't need the same fitness training
like junior did or doing, then they are just hopeless.
I think there is some gap of understanding between Cordy and players since Asia cup,
some of them already said they are not happy with his fitness training method.
If they are not happy with the training, that means they are not doing it willingly, and we know the outcome result.
BCB should take this matter seriously, and solve it in a professional way.
Cordy should not show any sympathy or compromise to any player, as long as he is responsible for fitness training.

Edited on, August 18, 2004, 7:47 AM GMT, by PoorFan.

bourny3
August 18, 2004, 02:53 AM
Yeah maybe the players should go through a AFL (australian Football league) training and then see what a hard training is like. They will be happy with Cordys trainings then.

billah
August 18, 2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by bourny3
Yeah maybe the players should go through a AFL (australian Football league) training and then see what a hard training is like. They will be happy with Cordys trainings then.

Yes, I second this proposal. :P. Success is never easy. Complaining about working hard ain't gonna help.

True-Tiger
August 18, 2004, 03:33 AM
Guys, I agree with most of you. Our cry babies need to grow up and get on with this training regime set by Cordy without complian or else they are doomed to failure. That's what it takes to be in the top level of any sports.

I genuinely hope all these media reporting and speculation does not change Cordy's training programme. BCB, all Fans and the media should put their weight behind Cordy and ignore the babies.........

To you all in our BD National Team-----Be a man and take it or leave it...........

Navarene
August 18, 2004, 06:26 AM
Complaining about working hard ain't gonna help.

..but according to media reports all these whispers against Cordy were not because of hard fitness training, but for less batting/bowling/fielding practice due to excessive focus on fitness training. Tigers got a valid point if the allegation is true, IMO. Of course physical fitness should be the top priority and cry babe like attitude shouldn't be allowed, But that doesn't necessarily mean that batting/bowling practice should be cut short prior to fitness training.

akabir77
August 18, 2004, 02:21 PM
Bhua khelbo r kothin practice korailey LADIES go moto media r kasey gai gui korbo Betader luck bhalo jey amgo BCCB Head Saddamer pola na tailey bujto koto dhaney kotho challlll.......

Hazar hazar dollar kamibo, bidesh ghurbo r khelar shomoy khucha diya choila ashbo r onader koley nea ghurbo BCCB na

Go On CORDI for leaking these put them in 160% more ......

akabir77
August 18, 2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Navarene

Complaining about working hard ain't gonna help.

..but according to media reports all these whispers against Cordy were not because of hard fitness training, but for less batting/bowling/fielding practice due to excessive focus on fitness training. Tigers got a valid point if the allegation is true, IMO. Of course physical fitness should be the top priority and cry babe like attitude shouldn't be allowed, But that doesn't necessarily mean that batting/bowling practice should be cut short prior to fitness training.

If thats the case go and tell the BCB people there is nothing wrong with that why include Media with this unless media made them selves up these stories@@@

observer
August 18, 2004, 04:13 PM
Some interesting but very expected comments from certain players.

The players of Bangladesh should consider themselves very fortunate to have some like Justin working with them. I have worked with a nuumber of conditioners in Australia and he is by far the best i have ever seen. His level of knowledge, and experience is second to none and as i said in a mail to chinaman, the players who are whingeing are those that need to be weeded out before the Bangadesh team will ever achieve success.

Zunaid
August 18, 2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by observer
Some interesting but very expected comments from certain players.

The players of Bangladesh should consider themselves very fortunate to have some like Justin working with them. I have worked with a nuumber of conditioners in Australia and he is by far the best i have ever seen. His level of knowledge, and experience is second to none and as i said in a mail to chinaman, the players who are whingeing are those that need to be weeded out before the Bangadesh team will ever achieve success.

Very important last line above. It is all about professionalism. We have to graduate from weekend cricketers to being professional athletes. And those who cannot put in the effort will only hold us back.

MondayMorningQB
August 18, 2004, 05:04 PM
Agree on Principle! We need to change our mentality. That should be the long term goal not the short term goal.

If you have abundance flow of talented players to substitute with, then that may work out. For country like us, where only limited pool of talented players are coming up, this may not work out in the short run. By trying to "weed them out", we may end up with no one left to be weeded.

In the short term, may be we need to consider about the current situation and our current limitations and approach more cautiously. After all in real world, a good manager should always find a way to get the best of each team member and get the job done as good possible, based on current limitation and circumstance.

Firing and replacing un-cooperative team member may be the best way to solve the problem, as long as you have unlimited resource to replace them. But that's not the reality of the real world in other fields. Why that should be true for cricket world?

Ibrahim
August 18, 2004, 05:25 PM
I go to Jim regularly and meet some of the national Canadian sportsperson. It is unbelieve about how hard they work to maintain fitness. Back home we are even national players are not used to go to jim regularly. Definitely, it needs time to develop fitness and making habit to go to jim.

pavel
August 19, 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Ibrahim
I go to Jim regularly and meet some of the national Canadian sportsperson. It is unbelieve about how hard they work to maintain fitness. Back home we are even national players are not used to go to jim regularly. Definitely, it needs time to develop fitness and making habit to go to jim.

"Gym" not "jim"

Anyways, I am curious. This question mainly to Richard. I wonder if the bangladeshi players go through special diet or do they take special suppliments like Whey Protein, Creatine, Multivitamins and minerals; to help them always stay in top shape. Being a bodybuilder myself, I feel it's absolutely necessary for a modern athlete to take extra suppliments no matter how good their diet is. Not to mention bangladeshi food in general are not so nutritious, though tasty, for a demanding athlete.

Cheers,
pavs