PDA

View Full Version : Need a temporary captain

fwullah
August 18, 2004, 09:49 PM
Today's papers have reported that the board is thinking about having an operation on Habibul Bashar's finger so that he can be fully fit for the 4 home series starting from against New Zealand this October.

If Bashar is operated on, then he will surely miss the ICC Champions Trophy.

In view of this recent report, I think we need to look for a temporary captain just to lead the side in the 2 ODIs in the Champions Trophy and the practice matches before that.

Normally, the vice captain gets the job to do the captain if the captain is injured or is unable to lead the side for some reason. Rajin Saleh was our vice captain for a few tournaments and series. So does he get the job?

In my opinion, Rajin is far too young even to do a temporary job, besides his recent batting form was not so great in the Asia Cup. Usually, the issue of the vice captain is not taken as seriously because the role of vice captain is not so huge, generally speaking.

However, the current situation (of Bangladesh) requires that we need an experienced guy to lead the side, as there is the matter of pride in it - we seriously do not want to lose to Scotland and Ireland and USA just because of an inexperienced and a young captain.

My suggestion is to appoint Khaled Mahmud as the captain - just for the coming One Day matches. He was the captain recently, and the biggest issue is that he was not handed a resignation to his captaincy because of his poor job as the captain or because of his performance as the captain (particularly) in the ODIs.

In fact, there was a huge debate before Habibul Bashar's appointing captaincy that Khaled Mahmud be the ODI captain and Habibul Bashar to be the Test captain. But since appointing 2 captains for the 2 forms of the game is a complicated issue, so it was not put into practice.

And its not like that Khaled Mahmud is going to be dropped or that his performance is going down very recently - he is still a valuable member of the BD ODI side as he was during his captaincy tenure. However, in arguing for him, I am totally ignoring the issue of how he was treated by his team mates after the England tour and before the Zimbabwe - at a point of time where he was not announced to be not the captain anymore.

The only other choice that I see to be the perfect candidate for being the temporary captain of the side is Javed Omar. Because surely, Khaled Mashud is not going to be handed over the captaincy, not after the way he was forced to resign.

Beamer
August 18, 2004, 10:00 PM
Please...this guy is lucky enough to be in the team. Capatin now? thats ridiculous. If shumon can't go, Rajin becomes the captain. If thats what they had in mind about rajin, to take over captaincy one day, by making him the vice-capatin, then he should step up and do it. Would add valuable experience. Khaled mahmud shouldn't even be in the team.

PoorFan
August 18, 2004, 10:05 PM
I support 100% for Khaled Mashud as captain.
I don't care how and why he was forced to resign.
If the officials made the mistake last time, then it's a golden time to fix it.
I think the officials attitude is different then that time, and will think about the best.
Javed could be the second choice, I am happy with him too.

Zobair
August 18, 2004, 10:09 PM
If Khaled Mahmud becomes the temporary captain then we can rest assured tat he won't be dropped anytime soon! How can you just drop the recent captain? Besides that would also mean he would have to play every match in the Champion's trophy as well as the warm up matches!!!! DO you really want to cancel that option (of benching him here and there)?!

fwullah
August 18, 2004, 11:29 PM
Please...this guy is lucky enough to be in the team. Capatin now? thats ridiculous. If shumon can't go, Rajin becomes the captain. If thats what they had in mind about rajin, to take over captaincy one day, by making him the vice-capatin, then he should step up and do it. Would add valuable experience. Khaled mahmud shouldn't even be in the team.

Alright, alright I admit there was a die hard fan of Sujon (me) talking on there in the original new post.

But to be honest, with Sumon out of the team even temporarily, will a loss in Ireland and Scotland do any good to a new and emerging young captain like Rajin Saleh?

Rubu
August 18, 2004, 11:29 PM
i'd go for either rafique or pilot. my first choice would be rafique and second pilot.

fwullah
August 18, 2004, 11:32 PM
If Rajin does get the captaincy, will he be the youngest captain of Bangladesh in One Day Internationals? (Rajin is 21 years old now)

vv_sunil
August 18, 2004, 11:38 PM
khaled mashud is the best choice

javed omar is the next choice

khaled mahmud - no choice

nihi
August 18, 2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
If Rajin does get the captaincy, will he be the youngest captain of Bangladesh in One Day Internationals? (Rajin is 21 years old now)

What's the big problem with that?

fwullah
August 18, 2004, 11:41 PM
My reason behind chosing Sujon was that Sujon has the experience, the players WERE used to him as the captain, and Sujon will also not be playing 5 long years (in fact, he's on the verge of getting retirement), so there is going to be "NO CONFLICT" if Sujon is given a temporary job. Because when Bashar is fit, he's going to be the captain, no matter what (even by any chance if Sujon manages to lead the team to victory in all the matches, including South Africa and West Indies) - because Sujon will not get into the test side - no chance there.

In my opinion, captaincy issue is a very delicate thing at the moment, and giving the temporary job to anyone else could rise a conflict in the team. But since Sujon is not even a candidate for the test team selection, so he'll know, as well as every other national player that Sujon will not become a permanent captain or replace Sumon as the captain even if he's given the temporary job.

But since most of you disagree, so what other choice do we have, that won't rise any sort of contradiction.

fwullah
August 18, 2004, 11:50 PM
Wasn't Akram Khan the youngest captain ever (so far) at the age of 24/25?

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 12:01 AM
Have you thought about this that if Rajin gets the captaincy, and performs reasonably well as the captain, then he could get the captaincy for the world cup 2007, as well? Considering Habibul Bashar's performance, it is a possibility.

P.S. I do not entertain the idea of watching such a young and inexperienced captain in the world cup.

nihi
August 19, 2004, 12:07 AM

In my opinion, captaincy issue is a very delicate thing at the moment, and giving the temporary job to anyone else could rise a conflict in the team.

Since vice captain gets the captaincy by default, there is no question of conflict at all. I see you have points for Sujon, but as far as conflict is concerned, handing over Sujon the captaincy may rather inflict more conflict. As for youngest ODI captains, Tatenda Taibu (captaincy at 20) and Graem Smith(captaincy at 22) are the two youngest ODI captains. And I don't know why we always have to have some evidence in front of us to take a decision.

Digressing a little bit, among the first 14 youngest test players, Pakistan have 9 and Bangladesh have 4.

BTW, nice to see your new signature, fwullah.

nihi
August 19, 2004, 12:11 AM
Have you thought about this that if Rajin gets the captaincy, and performs reasonably well as the captain, then he could get the captaincy for the world cup 2007, as well? Considering Habibul Bashar's performance, it is a possibility.

P.S. I do not entertain the idea of watching such a young and inexperienced captain in the world cup.

I am not sure whether you're being satiric or not. If Rajin plays that well and continues the form until 2007, why it would be such a matter of headache to have a successful 24 years old captain? Especially when Bashar is not getting any younger every year (ou must have noticed his considerably receding hairline).

Upal
August 19, 2004, 12:24 AM
As long as Rajin is the vice-captain, its a given that he will be promoted to the captaincy in the event Bashar is not available due to injury. It doesn't matter what his age is...the selectors fully knew of his age when they appointed him vice-captain.

Furthermore, age is not a big deal anyway. Ronnie Sarwan has been captain a few times, most recently against BD, when Lara was out due to injury. Sarwan's only 22 i think. Moreover, Graeme Smith and Tatenda Taibu are both captains in their low 20s.

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 12:59 AM
Since vice captain gets the captaincy by default, there is no question of conflict at all. I see you have points for Sujon, but as far as conflict is concerned, handing over Sujon the captaincy may rather inflict more conflict. As for youngest ODI captains, Tatenda Taibu (captaincy at 20) and Graem Smith(captaincy at 22) are the two youngest ODI captains. And

Well, the problem is that neither Tatenda Taibu nor Graem Smith are successful captains, not as successful as the Zimbabwe or the South Africa team can be.

And we need to be more successful than we usually are. For the moment, for this Champions Trophy, we need to have success - possibly Bashar's injury has stopped us from dreaming of an upset win over West Indies, if not an upset win over South Africa.

However, I do agree that when we were including the huge number of younger players into the team, it is now or later that we're gonna have to face with a younger captain whether we like it or not.

Its just that Rajin becoming the captain - it'll be a few more experiments (forced experimenting - have no choice, if you ask me) in all the experimentings that we have been doing so far.

rafiq
August 19, 2004, 01:00 AM
FW being a huge fan of Sujon is an amazing disclosure. I wouldn't have guessed it. I don't know what is up with Bashar's little pinky (he seems to be one of the cry babies just from listening to his crying in the papers about how much his finger hurts - just tape it up and play for God's sake), but changing the captain is the last thing this team needs. And having a discussion about whether Sujon should be captain is perhaps the worst way to waste time on this board, and lately there have been many. If it is temporary, and the VC is going to play anyway (which he is), then there is no need to look elsewhere. His age has nothing to do with it.

rafiq
August 19, 2004, 01:08 AM
As a parallel discussion, and to extract some usefulness from this thread, I have to ask US voters on this board who voted Republican last time because they were told to by the Islamic think tank: do you really want Dick Cheney as your President if something were to happen to Bush (who could fall over an open drilling well hole in Texas and break a finger, too)? In other words, think ahead before you make these appointments, which hopefully the BCB selectors did and we American voters will do this November. Sorry for the unsolicited political opinion.

billah
August 19, 2004, 01:36 AM
In any case, Bashar's exclusion should be good for an ODI tournament. Mashud, the only reliable player of our team, should be the natural next choice. He can be aided by the manager and others, besides, I'm sure he has learned from his past mistakes. Mahmud should also assist him, although, I don't know why he is still in the team.

AsifTheManRahman
August 19, 2004, 03:47 AM
I think they'lle give it to Rajin Saleh. However, what difference would a new captain be able to make to this useless bunch of players, jekhane whatmorer moto coach e pare na? :lol::cool:

James90
August 19, 2004, 04:07 AM
It's just 2 matches so try Rajin out

IanW
August 19, 2004, 04:28 AM
Apart from the fact that Khaled Mahmud can't bat, bowl or field, and that he apparently lacks the respect of his team-mates and the support of his coach, he'd be an excellent choice.

Ian Whitchurch

PS Yes, I am being satirical. Mahmud would be an awful, backward-looking choice. Take the best remaining batsman, and make him captain.

chinaman
August 19, 2004, 06:45 AM
Our team has been playing professionally but as fans, we are still amateurs, at least in some of our thinking.

What in the mother earth makes us to invent issues like "conflict" and "young"? I know Fahmida had more insight knowledges than I do, but I'm not sure of Bashar's odd to miss the ICC Champions Trophy in the first place.

Even if he were to miss, we have a VC in Rajin who was given the post after carefully considering many things by the selectors. If I remember correctly, he was the captain of our A team against England last year. He was the captain of his team in the CCL league. Above all, every one, including Mahmud, Masud and Rafique, knows and so far learnt to live with this official recognition.

What the big deal if Rajin captains the team, as per protocol? What makes you to be so sure of Sujon's place in the playing eleven?

Sujon made his contributions to the best of his ability and we all are thankful to him. If he is called upon, I'm sure he'll do his best to take many runs and wickets and will play professionally under any captain. If he can learn to live with that, I think its about time for his 'die hard' fans to dwell with that too.

This thread is a sober reminder of our own general thinking process, to invent issues where there is none, to find a way to justify the unjustifiable. But that's ok I guess. What bothers me most is the fact that, just like our own players, we have not improved much as fans. They practice hard, we participate hard. Very ocassionally they manage to shine, so do we, like in the Cordy thread, but basically, we are stuck within a small radius.

oracle
August 19, 2004, 07:49 AM
I know that Pilot is the reasonable choice but these "practice" matches should be used for experimenting if there is an urge on the part of the selectors. Since we have a vice captain I don't mind getting Rajin's feet dirty and handing some new responsibilities. It might do him some good. As for the ICC, please let Pilot do the job. If it is atoss between him and Sujon, it shouuld go to the better performer. Always better performance should be acknowledged, whatever the history.
I for one am open to the idea of having captains based on performance and for that matter the best 11.

Edited on, August 19, 2004, 12:51 PM GMT, by oracle.

Ibrahim
August 19, 2004, 07:52 AM
I completely agree with Chinaman. “The temporary captaincy” issue got 22 respond so far, but at this moment it is not a positive issue for BD cricket. There is a designated vice-captain, then why we need a temporary captain!!!

PoorFan
August 19, 2004, 08:11 AM
Rajin was selected as VC when his performance was good.
And he did that job when there was no question about his performance.
Now those who talking about considering a new captain temporarily ( including me )
is because of his poor performance. A team should be lead by someone who can lead others by his performance too.
Besides captaincy may make his performance even bad because of big responsibility pressure and inexperience.
Why should we go with protocol when we know it could bad for him as well as the team.
I believe captaincy means something more, not just a protocol or system.
I don't see anything wrong if somebody think about a new captain for the time being.

chinaman
August 19, 2004, 08:28 AM
Why should we go with protocol when we know it could bad for him as well as the team.

We don't know that, we just anticipate. Added responsibility might even make him perform better, if I may add.

However, that's not the questions. We should not make whole sale changes frequently. His performane has not been that good lately but he has been trying very hard unlike few lazy boys we know, to work out his weaknesses. He also showed improvements in the Asia Cup to defy the detractors.

Besides, who else has been consistent? Mahmud? Rafiq? Give me a break. Ash? Leave him alone. Gullu? Please keep an eye on him.

Yes, Pilot has been very good in terms of on field performance but his leadership qualities were very bad. Forgot the world cup already?

Navarene
August 19, 2004, 09:46 AM
Advocating for Sujon as captain till the ICC champions trophy will be the worst that can happen to BD team. It is not because Sujon is a bad captain at all(on the contrary, I still believe that it was Sujon's captaincy that had rebuilt our team after a severe downfall in last world cup cricket), but appointing him for that post will only cement his position in the team which is totally uncalled for. In fact, seeing Sujon in the first 11 is the last thing I wish for our team.

Rajin is the VC and he will be the automatic choice as captain if Bashar steps out cause of injury.

PoorFan
August 19, 2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by chinaman

We should not make whole sale changes frequently. His performane has not been that good lately but he has been trying very hard unlike few lazy boys we know, to work out his weaknesses.

Yes, Pilot has been very good in terms of on field performance but his leadership qualities were very bad. Forgot the world cup already?
That's a good point for Rajin.
Added responsibility might even make him perform better?
well it doesn't seemed to be happen in our team, but who knows.....
Who else? I was thinking about Pilot. since he is doing good recently,
might have change his captaincy quality too.

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 10:59 AM
FW being a huge fan of Sujon is an amazing disclosure. :embaressed:

nihi
August 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
FW being a huge fan of Sujon is an amazing disclosure. :embaressed:

Once I bowled along with Sujon. He was looking cute in his cute little red shorts.:P

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 11:09 AM
Our team has been playing professionally but as fans, we are still amateurs, at least in some of our thinking....

I apologize if I had done any inconveniences by posting this new topic. Chinaman's first post has forced me to think clearly than I was originally thinking. Thanks.

rafiq
August 19, 2004, 11:11 AM
nihi was that some kind of co-ed recreational league team? wish I had found those back in the day....

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 11:12 AM
Once I bowled along with Sujon. He was looking cute in his cute little red shorts

Not funny, I also used to HATE Sujon terribly at one stage - during 2000, Bulbul in the chat session made me to see things differently - like the 'MATCH-WINNER' issue that I was talking about in the other thread.

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 11:14 AM
Bulbul in the chat session made me to see things differently

Now that I'm thinking more clearly, look at what a huge INFLUENCE (IMPACT) that Aminul Islam Bulbul had got over me - I still haven't forgotten his words.

nihi
August 19, 2004, 11:25 AM
well, it was a practice session for mohamedans. Went with my same-age-buddy-uncle, who was getting a shot in the mohamedans. I found the red shorts funky enough to remember after a long 13/14 years. And neither did I see any lady around there so as to have an impression from their side. Were it a co-ed type something, fwullah might rather have something to be delighted about.

nihi
August 19, 2004, 11:27 AM
No offence Fwullah, ju.......st kidding, and no pun intended

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 11:32 AM
None taken.

chinaman
August 19, 2004, 11:40 AM
I apologize if I had done any inconveniences by posting this new topic.No need to apologize. You did nothing wrong or inconvenience. We all are entitled to our opinions, good or bad. I just wanted to say that there's nothing happened to call for a change in the established protocol. Players get injured many a times and they also pass through bad patches a lot. That is part of the package. We need to do a lot of soul searching before making big changes like captaincy.

Please don't feel embarrassed by being a sujon fan. He has done tremendous jobs for us in many ways. His usefulness is not as wide as it used to be and that is quite natural. He is not in his peak now, that should not bar anyone to stop supporting him.

Now here's what is new:

Bashar Fit For Trophy (http://www.cricketworld.com/bangladesh/detail.asp?articleid=1049&menu=0&sid=4&sn=Bangladesh)

Ahmed_B
August 19, 2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by chinaman
Even if he were to miss, we have a VC in Rajin who was given the post after carefully considering many things by the selectors...

If I remember correctly... the reson for selecting Rajin as VC was more related to some future thoughts that he might come up as a very good future captain and so to let him hav the experience..
Otherwise... he is, in my opinion, not yet impressive enough to lead the team in major tournament.

And... the problem is already resolved though... as i can see that Bashar is fit for the tournament.

chinaman
August 19, 2004, 02:30 PM
Bashar unlikely for Champs Trophy

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar looks doubtful for next month's ICC Champions Trophy as his injury seemed more serious than it was anticipated.

The think tanks have already discussed a possible replacement for the 31-year-old batsman, who suffered an injury on his right thumb during the team's net session a couple of days ago.

An X-ray report later confirmed that the top batsman of the country fractured the hyperextension of his right thumb. The report was sent to Australia for expert comment, which is expected to reach here by Tuesday.

But the team management decided not to take any risk for just two games ahead of a hectic home series starting in October.

"We have selected a replacement for Bashar in the event he can not go England. But we will not disclose the name until we get the final report of his condition," said coach Dav Whatmore during the team's morning training session at the Banga-bandhu National Stadium.

Although Whatmore and chief selectors Faruque Ahmed remained tightlipped it is greatly speculated the lucky man could be Alok Kapali, who was dropped from the side after the Asia Cup due to a prolonged run draught.

Physical trainer Justin Cordy fears that Bashar might need a surgery.

"This kind of injuries are more familiar with footie players in Australia. There are just two matches in England and I think we should not risk Bashar playing without proper treatment'" said Cordy.

Bashar however was present during the team's training session with his right arm resting in a sling.

Meanwhile, if Bashar fails to make it to England the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will have to announce a stand-in captain and the fight will definitely be between his predecessor Khaled Mahmud and vice-captain Rajin Saleh.

Daily Star >> (http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/08/20/d40820040333.htm)

nihi
August 19, 2004, 02:36 PM
ghonta :duh:

MondayMorningQB
August 19, 2004, 02:39 PM
1. Bashar unlikely for Champs Trophy (Daily Star)
2. Bashar Fit For Trophy (CricketWorld)
3. Bashar to recover soon (New Age)

Now I am confused. Which one is true? :-/

Zobair
August 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
This is the conclusion I reach from these reports:

The injury is more serious that initially thought (the earlier more positive assessment was the reason behind the news that he will play). The general consensus is that Bashar shouldn't be risked for potentially only two serious matches when we have such a hectic winter season coming up. After all Bashar is central to our test campaigns. So we will most probably have a replacemet touring England instead. However the replacement's name is being kept for the time being until it is confirmed that Bashar injury is indeed serious. Daily Star says the current rumours point to Alok Kapali being the lucky replacement.

Hope that helps.

Edited on, August 19, 2004, 8:08 PM GMT, by pompous.

Rubu
August 19, 2004, 03:23 PM
prothom alo reported today that if habibba's injury does not let him play, he could be replaced by alok.

what can i say "kapali" is actually a kApali (was born with a good kapal=luck).

in my opinior, alok needs this vacation now than anything else. continuously keeping him in the team like this will destroy him forever (if its not already been done).

rafiq
August 19, 2004, 03:31 PM
Why don't they take one more of the U-19 batsmen from the touring team? I think Alok will contnue to struggle and may be better off not coming back until the Winter season at least.

akabir77
August 19, 2004, 04:05 PM
1.No way Rajin should given the captancy.. He didn't showed any performance that will point to that.
2. Captain or no captain Shujon will perform well as its ENGLAND where he always performs well( hope he retires after this tour). He is most exp player and also the only player with knowledge how to bowl in england which every one know how difficult it is... Remeber 1999 WC where every one was bowling 30+ extras....
3. Sujon has the exp as a player and captain and also a spirited person and in my op he is the best man to be Temp CAMP
4. Rafiq and pailot both r not fit to be a captain as both r hot headed and don't know how to behave with people.....

Edited on, August 19, 2004, 9:06 PM GMT, by akabir77.

MondayMorningQB
August 19, 2004, 04:11 PM
"This kind of injuries are more familiar with <b>footie players in Australia</b>. ...'" said Cordy.

Can anyone explain to me, what is that (in bold)?

Thanks in advance.

billah
August 19, 2004, 04:48 PM
"Football" players.

Upal
August 19, 2004, 07:05 PM
footie players is a reference to Australian Football League players. This is commonly known as the AFL and the game is simply referred to as "footie". Aussie rules football is probably the most popular game down there, ahead of rugby and cricket.

PoorFan
August 19, 2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by akabir77
4. Rafiq and pailot both r not fit to be a captain as both r hot headed and don't know how to behave with people.....

Edited on, August 19, 2004, 9:06 PM GMT, by akabir77.
If it is true, then Rajin should get the chance, so that he can learn for future.

bourny3
August 19, 2004, 07:39 PM
Yep it certainly is the most popular sport down here. Footy is quite hard to explain but it is an awesome sport and thumb injuries do occur a bit. This occurs from the oval ball not round like a soccer ball hitting the top of the thumb while the player is going for a mark. And the thumb hyperextends like Bashars has. go to www.afl.com.au for more information on football there are movies on there if you would like to see what football is like

bourny3
August 19, 2004, 07:40 PM
How bout Rana for captain

rana
August 19, 2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by bourny3

capali would be next captain

source: from protomalo

Edited on, August 20, 2004, 12:49 AM GMT, by rana.

Rubu
August 19, 2004, 07:54 PM
can we decide (like opening pair) each of the game's morning who will be the captain today?

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 10:41 PM
capali would be next captain

source: from protomalo

I think Prothom Alo is talking about making Alok Kapali to replace player Bashar, not the captain Bashar.

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 10:48 PM
Meanwhile, if Bashar fails to make it to England the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will have to announce a stand-in captain and the fight will definitely be between his predecessor Khaled Mahmud and vice-captain Rajin Saleh.

These lines above (of the Daily Star) only proves that somebody from the reputed newspaper comes here and reads our opinions and comments, nothing more.

fwullah
August 19, 2004, 10:54 PM
.....If it is true, then Rajin should get the chance......

And if Rajin gets the chance, and IF Bashar does not get fit before the Winter Season, then Rajin could be a temporary (one of the youngest captains) captain in Test Cricket, too.

The following is taken from BBC's old article on Taibu, the Zimbabwe captain:

YOUNGEST TEST CAPTAINS
21 years 77 days: Nawab of Pataudi Jr. (Ind) v WI, 1961-62
21 y 194 d: Ian Craig (Aus) v SA, 1957-58
22 y 15 d: Waqar Younis (Pak) v Zim, Karachi, 1993-94
22 y 83 d: Graeme Smith (SA) v Ban, Dhaka, 2003
22 y 260 d: Javed Miandad (Pak) v Aus, Karachi, 1979-80

And now this list (already) includes Tatenda Taibu's name.

Source: BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3596511.stm)

Mon
August 20, 2004, 03:44 AM
What do you guys(some) have against Rajin? It fascinates me to see your opposition to his would be appointment. He is a one of the best players in our team. He should be the temporary replacement for Bashar. It will be a good choice I think. The norm for any team is that the vice captain takes over in a case like this.

So what if he is the youngest player to become a captain? Good for him. Be happy for his achievements!
Cheers to all of my b'deshi :)

:fanflag:

ferdous
August 20, 2004, 03:50 AM
How about Javed Omar? He has been with the national team for some time and in good form recently. In my opinion he should be the captain in place of Shumon.

Ahmed_B
August 20, 2004, 12:23 PM

I knew there are some astonishing 'Rana-fans' ... but this one is a bit too much!!
don tel me u r serious!:duh:

Rubu
August 20, 2004, 12:38 PM
i'm (one of the) biggest rana fan here. but still i would not ask for his captency. he could be good as a captain, but i've not seen anything that would say that he is a suit for a captian even in the future.

Mon
August 20, 2004, 01:42 PM
<blink><B>Suggesting Sujon to be the Captain is absurd.</B></blink> What more can I say? He sucks!

How about Nafis Iqbal as a Captain? Perhaps we should bring back the former hard hitter Zakaria who will shower us Sixes and Fours. We need a Tendulker in BD.
:bravo:

Edited on, August 22, 2004, 5:25 AM GMT, by Mon.
Reason: HTML CoDES

MondayMorningQB
August 20, 2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Mon
Perhaps we should bring back the former hard hitter Zakaria who will shower us Sixes and Fours. We need a Tendulker in BD.

Who is this Zakaria? Is he any good? or just like "Fat Darrell"? :P

Edited on, August 20, 2004, 6:53 PM GMT, by MondayMorningQB.

Piranha
August 20, 2004, 01:55 PM
Considering their extremely short stay, all our captains have effectively all been temporary captains. You cant appoint a temporary subsitute for another temporary position!

Edited on, August 20, 2004, 6:55 PM GMT, by Piranha.
Reason: bloody effing typos

Rubu
August 20, 2004, 02:09 PM
No one named ASH.........

i'll name ash for the captain for champion's trophy. here is why:

1. whenever we need anything we look it in ash. need a good middle order, go for ash. need an opener, bring up ash. we need a captain: why not ash?
2. what can i say for his age performance talent and all that he'll be serving us for the longest time. if he clicks as a captain, we don't need to worry about it in test ten years.
3. the way he came back after a short break, it can be said that he does have will power. a must for a captain.
4. he did show maturity in past series.

there is only one problem, opening and captency is too much to ask for from him. but since we've only one person to ask, we've to ask it anyway. and as i said, if he clicks a big problem is solved for a long time......

mahbubH
August 20, 2004, 02:42 PM
Please do not make Rajin captain at this time of his career. He is too young to lead Bangladesh team. It is not easy to do that job. He needs to spend few more years as vice captain and if he survives till then he will be an asset for us. Getting captaincy before it is due is not good as we have already seen in case of Faruque Ahmed (yes current cheif selector). He would be a great captain for Bangladesh but our then coach Mohinder Amarnath made him captain too early which was not a popular decision among senior cricketers and he failed. This affects his career too, he did not get as much success in international level as he should get.

al Furqaan
August 20, 2004, 02:54 PM
you can't always say that good performance equals good captain. the fact that they almost have a hundred per cent corelation is deceptive. if performance should be the sole factor, then promote ashraful as captain.

i am not saying that rajin will be a good captain, he may be bad...but he is the VC and so when the C goes down, he is the new skipper. besides he is the toughest of our players, and has a great work ethic...whatever he makes up in sheer innate talent he makes up with faith and perseverance. i have a feeling that he will be a legendary player by the team he retires. he may never be as prolific a run scorer as ash, nafis, aftab or dhiman, but he will a "hall of famer."

let rajin be captain and lets see what allah has in store for BD

Zephaniah
August 20, 2004, 03:21 PM
It's irrelevent to correlate captaincy issue with Rajin's performance.

Let us do a simple mind-mapping

BD team needs a temporary captain ---->

1. He should be the best player among the squad, hence commands a playing eleven spot automatically
2. He should be resonably experienced as he has to lead the team in testing British Isles conditions - Scotland, Ireland and finally England
3. Ideally he should be someone inspirational, some one the rest of the team can look upto in troubled time - on the field and
4. off the field ---->

Options - Khaled masud (1, 2 and 3),
Khaled Mahmood ( 2 and 4),
Rajin Saleh ( 3 and 4),
Md. Rafique ( 1 and 3)

I'll go for Khaled Masud.

Edited on, August 20, 2004, 8:24 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.
Reason: formatted

bourny3
August 20, 2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon

I knew there are some astonishing 'Rana-fans' ... but this one is a bit too much!!
don tel me u r serious!:duh:

No i wasnt serious but what about Ash and no im not serious her either

sasharif
August 21, 2004, 05:41 AM
I feel Khaled Mashud is the only player in the current team who deserves and also has the ability for captaincy. He always led from the front. He might had a nightmarish WC, especially he might have been rude with the fellow player. But what do we expect him to do when he sees all his front line batesman get out with irresponsible shots and can never learn from their mistakes. At least he did not cry or made a seen out of any incedence (like Bashar did in Zim). I have no disrespect for Bashar as our primier batesman. However, he is very introvert, captaincy is not his job. Bring Mashud back as the captain.

rockpundit
August 21, 2004, 11:51 AM
Well Ibrahim, quite frankly, I think appointing Saleh as our Vice Captain was a mistake. He is one of the youngest players in the team and apparently he cant handle the pressure as was shown in the Asia Cup. I think that we definitely need a temp captain and in my opinion it should be none other than Mashud.

rockpundit
August 21, 2004, 11:58 AM
Well Ibrahim, quite frankly, I think appointing Saleh as our Vice Captain was a mistake. He is one of the youngest players in the team and apparently he cant handle the pressure as was shown in the Asia Cup. I think that we definitely need a temp captain and in my opinion it should be none other than Mashud.

moin747
August 21, 2004, 12:52 PM
Yes you are right this is job of vice captian to take the job in captains absens
right ?:-/

Ahmed_B
August 21, 2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Zephaniah
BD team needs a temporary captain ---->
1. He should be the best player among the squad...

not necessarily at all....!!

captaincy needs:
[/b]foresight.. strong nerve.. good people management quality...and ofcourse... courage to take calculated risks[/b]

being the best performer isn't probably the first and most important criteria!

Edited on, August 21, 2004, 6:10 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.

rockpundit
August 22, 2004, 09:37 AM
Cricket Horizon is right. Choosing the captain based on his performance in the team is important but it is not of utmost importance. There have been a few teams where the captain is not the best player eg. India - Sourav isnt the best batsmen compared to Sachin and Dravid.

AsifTheManRahman
August 22, 2004, 10:12 AM
ahhhhh...4 pages of meaningless blah blah -ing...give it to khaled mashud!

Mon
August 22, 2004, 12:03 PM
Sacking Masud was a bad idea in the first place. But it’s too late now to make him the captain again. It’s extremely unusual in cricket that a captain gets his job back. Even getting back to from does not seem to matter. Most teams usually make a scapegoat out of the captain. I can’t recall any example where the opposite happened.

Bashar is the most qualified to be the captain of BD team, but since he is injured we should give the job to the <B>Vice Captain Rajin</B>. I think ultimately this is what will happen as long as we have Dav Wathmore in the selection team.

:karate:

Zephaniah
August 22, 2004, 12:32 PM
A captain should command a place in the final eleven automatically as he is one of the best player in the team - that's what i meant inmy previous post. Just pick any test playing country including Zimbabwe and do your homework! I doubt if Rajin is an automatic selection at this point of time.

Rubu
August 22, 2004, 12:46 PM
select the 11, and then toss to figure out the captain of the day.

rana
August 23, 2004, 12:25 PM
finay once again Khaled Mahmud is our temporary captain

source from: bangladesherkhela.com:great:

AsifTheManRahman
August 23, 2004, 12:30 PM
CHACHA MIA? :lol:

not a bad choice...chole...but this means that we're gonna have to see him in the team again...unfortunately...

however, i think it's not gonna be that bad in english conditions - they'll be able to use his medium pace a great deal i guess...

Rubu
August 23, 2004, 01:15 PM
chacha is not final yet.

TAIF
August 23, 2004, 01:49 PM
i think Rajin should be captain in the champs trophy cos he is vice captain and should b given a taste of captaining in a major tournament. being vice cap he has to captain sooner or later and i think its time to throw him in to the deep end.:fanflag: