PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most important fixture for BD in the next 6 months?

oracle
August 20, 2004, 09:09 AM
Next six months will be relatively hectic. The team would need to be focused for each and every match but in terms of planning we need to get our key players and above all the team composition in adequate shape for the most important fixtures.
So which fixture would be ranked most important in terms of status, here is my "match importance ranking", (assuming we are playing triangular in January and SL in February):

[list=1]

test match against NZ
test match against INDIA
test match against Sri Lanka
Champions Trophy
ODI match against INDIA
ODI match against NZ
Triangular series match against Zimbabwe
Practice match against Scotland

[/list=A]

AsifTheManRahman
August 20, 2004, 09:29 AM
All of them are important. Yes, unfortunately we haven't been able to reach a position where our matches against Ireland and Scotland would be regarded unimportant.

fwullah
August 20, 2004, 11:50 AM
The matches that we can win are important for us.

Zobair
August 20, 2004, 11:56 AM
I believe the test series against NZ will be the most important for us because it will set the tone for the rest of the season.

fwullah
August 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
That was a quick reply - the earlier reply of mine.

Now more details:

Test series vs NZ:

Most ideal series for us to get another draw - the first drawn match at home - like the WI tour 1st Test - by playing full 5 days - it'll be good if we can do it. For that, we need to make the pitches as batting friendly as possible according to our batsmans' liking, and hope that our bowlers can restrict them below 400 on the batting track.

Besides, the 2 test matches that we've played against NZ so far - were played in NZ, we had not played well AT ALL. Although it was a long time ago, and our experience in test match cricket was not great at that time, however, getting some good performances will be the ideal thing to target, especially when you see the scorecards - Khaled Mahmud and Sanwar Hossain, the 2 most incompetent batsman in Tests have done tremendously well compared to their test career average.

We can't think of making the pitches quick ones citing the reason that Mashrafee would be back, because they have Shane Bond in their side, we don't want to give them an advantage in that area, we can't think of making the pitches turning ones to make lives easier for Rafique, because there is Daniel Vettori, and we can certainly not make the pitches made for little seamers because although we have Mushfiqur Rahman in our team, they have loads of seamers like that - Oram, Ashtle etc. So my suggestion is to make batting wickets so that we can survive for 100 + 100 in both innings of the test matches and hopefully earn a respectable draw.

fwullah
August 20, 2004, 12:08 PM
ODI series against NZ:

Well considering that New Zealand have scored over 300 runs against us once, and we were also bowled out for 77, so we cannot take things lightly against them. Although most people would want to forget those 300 and 77, they'd want to remember the 198 against New Zealand during the world cup 2003, our only good match when our chips were (REALLY) down.

However, they are a professional side, and will beat us easily if we play slightly below our potential.

Here I would like to tell a little story. There was once a time just before the world cup 1999, where I read in papers (probably in Kriralok) somebody suggesting that our batsman play slow-gentle medium pacers well. Like the kind of bowlers that New Zealand have mostly. And that if something something .... then may be we could get a chance to beat New Zealand in the world cup (1999). It also added, but the problem is that our very first match is against New Zealand, if it was our 2nd or 3rd match, then may be it would have been better. Now, we all know what was the result of that match. We were all out for 116.

Isn't that a nice story? We have many things to learn from it.