PDA

View Full Version : Are BD batsmen selfish?

oracle
August 25, 2004, 10:37 AM
Read Hayden's viewpoints in " Subcontinental batsmen are selfish"

Cricinfo (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/AUG/030411_VIDEOCON2004_24AUG2004.html)

Matthew Hayden feels that subcontinental teams suffer as a result of their batsmen hunting down personal landmarks instead of thinking of their team's targets. This, according to Hayden, is in direct contrast to the Australian approach.

"In one-day cricket," he continued, "the so-called landmarks like fifties and hundreds are not achieved at the same rate as in Tests, particularly in our side. In one-day cricket, it's partnerships that can really hurt a side and set up the other."

but Gilly and I were really pleased to have built the foundations at real good pace. That helps us a lot more than the statistic of someone getting a hundred."

As far as BD goes( if Haydos cares. that is...)
I don't think BD batsmen are selfish in the mould of India or Pakistan.Probably we are not in that "selfish" league yet. And I would'nt tag the century efforts by RAfique and Pilot as selfish, it was more for the team morale, in a a way.

At least Dave is trying hard to instill attitudes which promote partnerships but we see alot of our players struggling with this concept of partnership.

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 3:41 PM GMT, by oracle.

fwullah
August 25, 2004, 10:49 AM
Well when I read the topic "are Bangladesh batsman selfish" - I was gonna say yes, as selfishness sometimes comes in hand, especially in Bangladesh's case, otherwise, we would have seen more 76 and 77 all outs more regularly than we're observing.

But after I read the inside - Hayden's remarks, I have to say that I agree with oracle and insist that the Bangladeshi batsman are not in the selfish category yet, at least not in the way that Hayden is talking about. In fact, I believe that if our batsman were selfish as Hayden suggests, then Bangladesh could have won many more matches until now than they have been.
For example, we still remember Mehrab Hossain's name as he was the first Bangladeshi to score an ODI century, and if anyone from Bangladesh tries to go for it, then ofcourse we will first want those batsman to reach an ODI century more than winning. Why? Because that is a more realistic target and much more achievable than win in every other match that we play at the International level.

Zobair
August 25, 2004, 11:03 AM
Bangladeshi Batsmen are not in that category yet. It is probably because we just don't have batsmen with the capability to go consistently for milestones yet. I don't mind a bit of selfishness though since in cricket taking care of oneself's perofrmance generally complements a team's performance. However going for milestones at the team's expense is a NO NO, and has a more crucial impact in ODIs. In that sense, I agree with Hayden. Though from my observation, Indians seem more keen on milestones than their other subcontinental counterparts.

AsifTheManRahman
August 25, 2004, 12:20 PM
well the way ash plays his heart out, forgetting his usual way of playing, i'd say he's not selfish, but rather thinks of the team a big deal - an excellent prospect for bd cricket...

as for the others, they are not good enough (in terms of run scoring abilities) to be selfish.

Bangla Mostan
August 25, 2004, 06:46 PM
Our players are rash hitters..they do not apply technique..they would tend to apply proper technique with every 3 to 4 balls bowled..the rest would be either luck or pure rashness...and hook shots!:flag:

potshot
August 25, 2004, 09:21 PM
According to Hayden,subcontinental batsmen who score centuries in ODI are selfish because they slow down once they are in their 80s and 90s. Since BD batsmen rarely reach 80s, so they are not good enough to be in that category that Hayden has in mind. And let us be under no illusions. When a foreigner talks of subcontinent players, he means Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans.

Thus, statements like
(a)subcontinental players are good against spin,
(b)players of subcontinental origin have played for WI,Eng,SA,NZ etc
(c) Subcontinental batsmen are wristy
(d) Subcontinental teams are strong in their home coditions

These apply for India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Let us not fool ourselves by trying to bask in reflected glory by clubbing ourselves with them.

Edited on, August 26, 2004, 2:24 AM GMT, by potshot.

sheshprohor
August 25, 2004, 09:26 PM
I would rather say "shell fish"..they like to hide themselves inside their shells of foolish, non-grammatical shot selections.

Prohor

bourny3
August 26, 2004, 02:55 AM
Nah i dont think Bangladesh players can be selfish and if they are they arent doing a very good job of it. I think we need a selfish player just so that we are gaurunteed a good score from a player. We need a selfish player in the ODIs

bdmoderator
September 3, 2004, 09:51 AM
May be other sub-continent batsman are selfish. But I think BD batsman are not selfish.
Amar mone hoi selfish holei valo hoto. Kissu run to ashto.....

Ahmed_B
September 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
Something fishy about Hayden's comment??

Wasnt it the Aus captain and media crying out loud about B.Lara being selfish right after Lara broke Hayden's highest individual test runs record??

I feel this 'selfish' cry very related to that chain of comments...:umm: