PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Surprise... Rajin Captain Pilot vice captain

mahbubH
August 25, 2004, 09:30 AM
At last BCB selects Rajin as captain for ICC Champions trophy. Most of us were expecting one of the Khaleds!

link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3593570.stm)

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 2:32 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 3:42 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Title changed.

nihi
August 25, 2004, 09:34 AM
just don't get the surprise part. It might not have been inevitable, but this should rather have come as a surprise when Rajin was selected as a Vice captain to begin with.

oracle
August 25, 2004, 09:41 AM
Good decision. We hope the added responsibility will spur him to greater feats.

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 2:50 PM GMT, by oracle.

PoorFan
August 25, 2004, 09:48 AM
Good luck to Rajin. Hope he perform well this time.

mahbubH
August 25, 2004, 09:49 AM
I do not like this decision because Rajin is not in good form and this added responsibility would be too much for him. It is always hard for a young captain to lead a team when there are so many seniors (Khaleds, Javed, Rafique) are around.

Wish him luck!

TAIF
August 25, 2004, 10:02 AM
great decision, its about time our youngsters r given a chance to prove there leadership skills. great decision bcb and good luck Rajin:great:

mahbubH
August 25, 2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by nihi
just don't get the surprise part. It might not have been inevitable, but this should rather have come as a surprise when Rajin was selected as a Vice captain to begin with.

From the last few days media report I was not expecting Rajin ... BBC reports:

In a suprise decison, Saleh was chosen instead of former skippers Khaled Mahmud and Khaled Mashud.

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 3:10 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

crazyisland
August 25, 2004, 10:13 AM
This is great. I want the new blood to step up now. Enough of that "We will try to do our best" or "Our goal is to give a good fight" etc. We want a captain who can confidently say "WE ARE HERE TO WIN". Good Luck Rajin. Give SA and WI some Bangla treatment. Go and fight it out Tigers....

PoorFan
August 25, 2004, 10:14 AM
As long as he is VC of the team, he deserve the chance to prove himself.
Besides without having a chance how can he get experience of a captaincy?
And Bashar will be back soon. So these could be the consideration behind the decision.

chinaman
August 25, 2004, 10:14 AM
The right decision without the shadow of a doubt. Well justified given the situation.

Ibrahim
August 25, 2004, 10:15 AM
A good decision. As a vice-captain he deserve it.

AsifTheManRahman
August 25, 2004, 10:17 AM
ei decision? how's it supposed to be a surprise? :rolleyes:

erokom decisioner jonno to bcb'r eto deri korar kono dorkar chilo na...

Zobair
August 25, 2004, 10:28 AM
well! I was actually surprised when there was so speculation to begin with. Rajin is the VC and so is the logical temporary replacement for Bashar. He is a fighting cricketer, and he was originally chosen for his fighting and leadership qualities. Besides leading for a few matches here and there will let him pick him those little things that come only with real experience, and come the day he will be in a position to become the permanent captain (may be 3 years?) he can bank on his experience. I am pretty confident he will do a good job. He doesn't seem to mind doing theextra hard work.

Best of luck to him. Go Captain Rajin Saleh!

fwullah
August 25, 2004, 10:38 AM
Channel I news said Rajin Saleh is the captain and Khaled Mashud is the vice captain.

nihi
August 25, 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd

From the last few days media report I was not expecting Rajin ... BBC reports:

In a suprise decison, Saleh was chosen instead of former skippers Khaled Mahmud and Khaled Mashud.

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 3:10 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

I was, in fact, pointing to BBC's capacity to get surprised.

Basri
August 25, 2004, 11:13 AM
I do not like this decision because Rajin is not in good form and this added responsibility would be too much for him. It is always hard for a young captain to lead a team when there are so many seniors (Khaleds, Javed, Rafique) are around.

Wish him luck!
I agree with you. It was not a good decision even making him vice captain. But as existing vice captain, he deserves the post now.

akabir77
August 25, 2004, 11:13 AM

Wish him luck!

May be the responsibilty will bring his good form back.... I don't think this was the best decision for the current team but for future it will do a lot good (I Hope). Good luck cap. Score some 100s now...:fire:

Zobair
August 25, 2004, 11:17 AM
Well he may be a young captain but he will have an experienced campaigner as his VC. Chacha as the captain was a long shot in my book because that would mean he would have to play every game! Whatmore probably would like to rotate his "allrounder" position or at least have that option.

mahbubH
August 25, 2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
Channel I news said Rajin Saleh is the captain and Khaled Mashud is the vice captain.

Is this the first time that a former captain is chosen as vice captain?

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 4:20 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

fwullah
August 25, 2004, 11:25 AM
Well, now that Rajin is the captain, I'm thinking, if Bashar does not get fit in proper time, especially before the New Zealand tour, then Rajin could become the captain of the Bangladesh's Test team also (in test cricket).

DotBall
August 25, 2004, 11:26 AM
This is not a good decission. Rajin needs time to establish himself as a consistent player. One year is just not enough to sattle down in this sport. It will be too much pressure for him.

Zephaniah
August 25, 2004, 11:33 AM
sports_fan_bd :

It can't be the first example. In a cricket match captain makes all the decisions assisted by senior members of the squad. Vice-captain only comes into play when captain is out of the field or not participating the game. In case of Rajin's injury Pilot is the only man in the squad who is an automatic choice for playing eleven and can lead the team.

No more fuss. I wish Rajin all the best. Hope it helps.

mahbubH
August 25, 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Zephaniah
sports_fan_bd :

It can't be the first example. In a cricket match captain makes all the decisions assisted by senior members of the squad. Vice-captain only comes into play when captain is out of the field or not participating the game. In case of Rajin's injury Pilot is the only man in the squad who is an automatic choice for playing eleven and can lead the team.

No more fuss. I wish Rajin all the best. Hope it helps.

Agree. BCB could do this without officially mentioning Pilot as vice captain. I guess BCB talked to Pilot before that and seems he agreed.

Mueid
August 25, 2004, 11:57 AM
Wish Rajin all the best.

Beamer
August 25, 2004, 12:20 PM
Congrats to Rajin. This is a huge honor and he will serve the country well for the time being, is our hope. This shouldn't come as a surprise but as the logical choice. They think enough of him to begin with. Otherwise, they won't make him the vice-captain. So, its natural that he will step up like in this instance when the Captain is out of action. No surprise here, no controversy here. If they didn't do this, that would have welcomed controversy on the other hand. That would have damaged Rajin's confidence even more. He is a good player, a young player, who will play for us for a long long time though he is going through a rough time right now. If he was looked over, he would have started worrying about his spot in the team. Not a way to go. I think, people speculate too much and there are a lot of shujon lovers out there who spread misinformation. I am glad he wasn't picked as the temporary captain,thus permanently occupying a spot that he doesn't deserve any more.

Rajin has capatained the 'A' team against Zim and SL. He also captains for his local league team. So, he is not totally inexperienced and what better way to get experience in the top level when the expectations are not much?
Not a lot of pressure to win in ICC.

chinaman
August 25, 2004, 12:44 PM
“I never expected captaincy to come this early but I was always preparing for the job as the team’s vice-captain. I believe this responsibility will help me regain my batting form,” said Saleh in his instant reaction to the appointment.

Right-hander Saleh has scored 450 runs in 19 ODIs at 23.68 and has picked up six wickets with his occasional off-spin.

CricketWorld >> (http://www.cricketworld.com/bangladesh/detail.asp?articleid=1101&menu=0&sid=4&sn=Bangladesh)

BD Tigers
August 25, 2004, 01:34 PM
Even tho I am a fan of Chacha but I am happy that they gave Rajin the nod. I wish him best of luck in the coming series. I hope all the senior members help him on the field and make his life easier.

Now that he's the captain of a TEST Team, there will be lot of interviews, press conferences that he will be attending. Does anybody know about his communication skill? I hope its good...

Go Rajin Go...:fanflag:

Upal
August 25, 2004, 03:29 PM
Good to see BCB making the common sense decision :bravo:

Rubu
August 25, 2004, 04:09 PM
i liked this decision. :great:

for those of u who are worried about rajins form, remember the Zim A - BD A, one day series? off form alok was made captian and he had a century. more or less, it improved his performance. i believe (actually hope) the same will happen to rajin. since he is a fighter, the chance is not very low.

good luck cap'n.

Rubu
August 25, 2004, 04:27 PM
from bangladesher khela ....... you are the 13th cantain of bangladesh.

will lucky 13 bring some luck to us? well, thats not my point. who are the other 12? i'm trying to complete the list, if i can't find all, please help me out:

01. Shamim Kabir
02. Raquibul Hasan
03. Shafiqul Haque Hira
04. Gazi Ashraf Lipu
05. minhazul abedin
06. faruk ahmed
07. akram khan
08. aminul islam
09. Naimur Rahman
10. khaled masud
11. khaled mahmud
12. habibul bashar
13. rajin saleh

did not follow bd cricket before nirobi icc trophy. and don't know who were the captains. who can help me out?

so, so far i got the following candidates to fill up the first 3 spaces:

* rokibul haq hira
* jahangir shah badsha
* Shamim Ahmed

were they call captian? if yes, in which order?

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 11:21 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.

Edited on, August 26, 2004, 3:15 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.

Mahmood
August 25, 2004, 04:48 PM
I think number 1 was may be Rokibul. Badsha was probably somewhere in the missing spots too.

Gazi Ashraf Lipu was captain from 1986-1990. Nannu took over from him.

And you got 9 and 10 backwards. First was Naimur then was Pilot.

Zunaid
August 25, 2004, 05:10 PM
<table>
<TR CLASS="wht"><TD HEIGHT=50><H2>Bangladesh
<TD COLSPAN=6 ALIGN=CENTER><H3>Tests
<TD COLSPAN=7 ALIGN=CENTER><H3>ODIs
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT CLASS="viol"><TD ALIGN=LEFT><B>Name
<TD CLASS="mdn"><B><I>Tenure<TD><B>Pld
<TD><B>W
<TD><B>L<TD><B>D<TD><B>Win %
<TD CLASS="mdn"><B><I>Tenure</I><TD><B>Pld
<TD><B>W
<TD><B>L<TD><B>Tie<TD><B>N/R<TD><B>Win %
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>

<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="med">Gazi Ashraf
<TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD>
<TD><I>1986-90 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 7<TD> 0<TD> 7
<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 0.0
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>

<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="med">Minhajul Abedin
<TD><I>1990 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 2<TD> 0<TD> 2
<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 0.0
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>

<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="med">Akram Khan
<TD><I>1995-98 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 15<TD> 1<TD> 14
<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 6.7
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>

<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="med">Aminul Islam
<TD><I>1998-2000 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 16<TD> 2<TD> 14
<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 12.5
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>

<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="mdw">Naimur Rahman (1)
<TD><I>2000-01 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 7<TD> 0<TD> 6
<TD> 1<TD> 0.0
<TD><I>2000-01 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 4<TD> 0<TD> 4

<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 0.0
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>
<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="mdw">Khaled Mashud (2)
<TD><I>2001-02 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 10<TD> 0<TD> 10
<TD> 0<TD> 0.0

<TD><I>2001-03 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 23<TD> 0<TD> 21
<TD> 0<TD> 2
<TD> 0.0
<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>
<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="mdw">Khaled Mahmud (3)
<TD><I>2003 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 9<TD> 0<TD> 9

<TD> 0<TD> 0.0
<TD><I>2003 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 15<TD> 0<TD> 15
<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 0.0

<TR ALIGN=RIGHT>
<TD ALIGN=LEFT CLASS="mdw">Habibul Bashar (4)
<TD><I>2004 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 4<TD> 0<TD> 2
<TD> 2<TD> 0.0
<TD><I>2004 <TD CLASS="vnr"> 11<TD> 2<TD> 9

<TD> 0<TD> 0
<TD> 18.2
</tr>
</table>

src: http://www.earthsci.unimelb.edu.au/genp/captains.html

chinaman
August 25, 2004, 05:11 PM
Hira and Yusuf Babu was also the captains I think.

Rubu
August 25, 2004, 05:31 PM
well, its not a good thing that we don't konw about all the captians, i even missed the flow :(. we need to complete the list.

can we create the complete list of all the captains and what games they played and all?

here is what i got. the very first ODI captain was Gazi Asharaf. see Score Card of Bangladesh's first ODI (http://www.cricket.net/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1985-86/OD_TOURNEYS/ASIA/BDESH_PAK_ASIA_ODI2_31MAR1986.html)

from this complete list of ODI (http://www.cricket.net/db/SOCIETIES/ENG/ACS/ODIS_MATCH_LIST/COMPLETE_LIST.html) i found that after lipu, Akram khan was the next to play odi as captian. i don't know how to fill up the gaps since the other captians did not play any odi.

since "itihash brikriti" is such a common practice in bangladesh, we should create a database to avoid future confutions. :lol:

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 10:42 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.

Navarene
August 25, 2004, 06:08 PM
I recall Shamim Ahmed was the first captain of Bangladesh national team. He led the team against MCC IX in 1976. But I could be wrong.

Congrats to Rajin Saleh.

Bangla Mostan
August 25, 2004, 06:43 PM
its time for him to step out of the shadows and try and dictate a game..which good leadership comes good results! remember that Saleh..remember that!!

rana
August 25, 2004, 08:22 PM
this is right decission for Rajin:great:

sheshprohor
August 25, 2004, 09:16 PM
surprising indeed.

At last I am surprised to see sujon's power of 'mama' influence is fading away. really surprising....

Prohor

Haradhon
August 25, 2004, 10:32 PM
Pilot could have been picked as captain because of his recent performance. But there might be other issues that the Bangladesh Board had considered and we are not aware of---perhaps the way Pilot dealt with his teammates during the last World Cup worked against him. There is no doubt that Rajin, now that he is the captain, will be under pressure to perform. But if he stays focused and bats with sound judgement just like the way he did in the Pakistan series, he could be our next captain. His strength, compared with Bashar-Pilot-Shujon, is the patience that he shows with the bat and his ability to stick to the crease. These are the qualities we require of a captain and have been absent in Bashar.Perhaps, the Championship Trophy is a rare chance for Rajin. A close game with the West Indies should be our short-term goal. Good Luck to Rajin.

vv_sunil
August 25, 2004, 11:22 PM

Wish him luck!

i think tooooooooooooo:(

fwullah
August 25, 2004, 11:51 PM
what better way to get experience in the top level when the expectations are not much?

Really? What about the matches in Scotland and Ireland? And as far as I can see, if we either win or lose matches in Scotland and Ireland, either way, Rajin will be under huge pressure (as well as the team) to win at least 1 ODI match.

Warlock
August 26, 2004, 12:26 AM
We could make Tapash vice-captain (not that it means anything)!

By the way, Khaled Mashud made an interesting comment yesterday(courtesy- Daily Inqilab). He told the newspaper reporter -"As I get my salary from BCB, I will be glad to do any duty that they ask of me." Seems that Mashud feels okay about being chosen as the vice-captain.

In a way, I am not entirely sad that Bashar is out of the squad (though his injury is a concern). He is not a one day cricketer (it's somehow funny but true). One the other hand, the cubs from the U19 team are spoiling for a chance to prove themselves. Nafis and Aftab both are good cricketers (they are way better than Kapali!). One of them should be picked up as Bashar's replacement batter. Our U19 team is known for their grit and fighting spirit, hopefully Nafis & Co. would bring some fresh spirit into the team, which we really need.

Mon
August 26, 2004, 01:18 AM
Yes! Everything i expected for our team as a whole. Rajin can't do it alone. I hope Faisal will find his form. Rana should be moved up more in the batting line up.(where can i find the info on the full squad?)
<HR><BR>
It's time for <B>chacha mia to retire</B>. I think "http://www.bangladesherkhela.com" is very upset at this decision. LOL.
<BR>

Mon
August 26, 2004, 02:04 AM
"We could make Tapash vice-captain (not that it means anything)!"

Warlock:
Most of us are educated and decent minded people here. Please keep your personal grudges to yourself. I wont’ say anything more!

Good day

Warlock
August 26, 2004, 04:00 AM
Quote:
"We could make Tapash vice-captain (not that it means anything)!"

Warlock:
Most of us are educated and decent minded people here. Please keep your personal grudges to yourself. I wont’ say anything more!

Good day
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello there,
I must clarify two things first.
One- By "We could make Tapash vice-captain" I meant "Tapash is one of my favourite players"
Two- "(Not that it means anything)" I meant "The job of vice-captain doesn't mean much compared to the captain"
Both of the above points seem pretty clear for anyone's understanding. I don't believe I have conveyed any message that is in anyway "rude" or "mean".
And, about any "grudge" against Tapash, no my friend MON, I love Tapash as a good bowler, I would never have any grudge against him.
Have I made myself clear?
:(

sasharif
August 26, 2004, 04:14 AM
A small correction to the captains' list of our national team. First 3 captains chronologically were:
1. Shamim Kabir
2. Raquibul Hasan
3. Shafiqul Haque Hira
* As far as I remember Jahangir Shah Badsha was never captain.

sasharif
August 26, 2004, 04:16 AM
Yousuf babu was not captain as well.

Beamer
August 26, 2004, 10:11 AM
fw
Indeed the expectations are low for the ICC cup, unlike the Asia cup, no matter what you say. Overall the pressure to win is always there and with each defeat it will get higher. until we can compete on even footing with other teams, the role of the captain will remain a small issue with the Bangladesh team. What we can do is to select someone who is an automatic choice in the team and also a person who has leadership qualities. Shujon may have leadership qualities but his place in the team is not secured as it should be. Also, one bright thing of him ( chacha) not being the captain is he won't bring himslef to bowl at the death in the one day games. I don't know what he thinks of himself. He ain't no Vass or Akram, yet, in the past, in one dayers, he brought himself to bowl in the end, only to get punished severly. A good capatin would have certainly realised his own limitations and would have refrained from such self-indulging actions at the cost of the team.

Rubu
August 26, 2004, 10:16 AM
Complete List

this is what i'm ended up with:

01. Shamim Kabir
02. Raquibul Hasan
03. Shafiqul Haque Hira
04. Gazi Ashraf Lipu
05. minhazul abedin
06. faruk ahmed
07. akram khan
08. aminul islam
09. Naimur Rahman
10. khaled masud
11. khaled mahmud
12. habibul bashar
13. rajin saleh

is it right?

Mahmood
August 26, 2004, 12:02 PM
Yes, I think this is the right list.

Sakin
August 26, 2004, 02:33 PM
I think Rajin should be captain since he is the vice captain. However the fact tht Masud is the vice captain it gives rajin a really good learning opportunity from Masud's experience. I can almost bet Masud will have a lot of input in Rajin's decisions. In a way I feel it was a crude move by BCB officials to not give Masud the captaincy since last time he was forced out of his captaincy, but rather still use Masud's experience through Rajin. I feel Mahmud wouldn't have been a good choice because it requires him to play every match. In Rajin's point of view I feel captainship will bring added commitment to his batting, so tht he can lead the team by example.

Mon
August 26, 2004, 06:26 PM
yes, You have. thanks.
Where did they list the full squad?