PDA

View Full Version : im from belfast

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:08 PM
what do u want to know? i will be at the game and i cant wait especially to meet rafique who i class as the best orthodox finger spin bowler in the world. so any questions fire away.

Nasif
August 26, 2004, 06:23 PM
Great to have you here Gary. Hopefully you will keep us updated with the latest from the games. If you meet the players let them know you are BanglaCricket member (our members have met them before, and they will be happy to meet you). Also, let us know if you want to share your pictures with us. We will be delighted :)

Edited on, August 26, 2004, 11:29 PM GMT, by nasif.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:26 PM
yeah i will bring the camera. i am a big indian fan as well as ireland. i know a lot about irish team and the game here (well in the NCU) thats my union. I live 10 miles from centre of Belfast. I am a big backer of Bang and think they have the talent to be a top6 side but at the top level its 50% mental. They should have won 5 games I can think of, 3 v pak (what an innings by inzi at multan), 1 v WI and 1 v eng. im sorry but whoever said rafique should be dropped is very wrong. he is a world class spin bowler in my view. i think by the way that nafis is a great young player but why has al-sahariar not been picked in the middle order?

chinaman
August 26, 2004, 06:28 PM
Gary Niblock

Welcome to banglacricket. Hope you will enjoy our company during the tour.

If you have time please give us a little overview of your heroes and how you rate them in the context of other wellknown crickets around the globe. Thanks in advance.

oracle
August 26, 2004, 06:29 PM
Yes, welcome Gary. As per "CricketIreland" this is the team. So who are the key players Botha, Bray and Mooney?

Jason Molins Capt Phoenix
Andre Botha North County
Jeremy Bray Phoenix
Jonathan Bushe Waringstown
Gordon Cooke Brigade
Peter Gillespie Strabane
Dominick Joyce Merrion / Trinity
Kyle McCallan Cliftonville
Adrian McCoubrey Essex CCC
Paul Mooney North County
Eoin Morgan Middlesex CCC
Naseer Shoukat Rush
Andrew White Instonians

chinaman
August 26, 2004, 06:32 PM
Gary Niblock

Welcome to banglacricket. Hope you'll enjoy our company.

We'd really appreciate if you give us a little overview of your heroes and how you rate them in the context of other well known players around the globe. Thanks in advance.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:33 PM
Jason Molins Capt Phoenix
Andre Botha North County
Jeremy Bray Phoenix
Jonathan Bushe Waringstown
Gordon Cooke Brigade
Peter Gillespie Strabane
Dominick Joyce Merrion / Trinity
Kyle McCallan Cliftonville
Adrian McCoubrey Essex CCC
Paul Mooney North County
Eoin Morgan Middlesex CCC
Naseer Shoukat Rush
Andrew White Instonians

well Molins and Bray are a very good opening partnership and have scored prolifically in recent times. Botha is an all rounder who bats at 3, a useful player who has FC experience in South Africa. Andrew White I know personally as he was at my club North Down until the winter, he is a superb batsman and off spinner and one to look out for I feel. He is good enough to play county cricket. Naseer Shaukat may be 38 but has taken wickets for Ireland consistently and is rolling back the years, he has 40 FC games in pak. McCallan is another off spinning all rounder from the North. Bushe is the best keeper in the North and in Ireland after Niall O'Brien. He always tops the dismissals and is a good batsman too. Ireland have a lot of players, sadly u wont see young Greg Thompson of Lisburn, a 16 year old leggie who took 12 wickets at the u19 WC and who is Irelands youngest ever player.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:35 PM
By the way I should say Ireland are definitely the best associate nation, ok scotland beat us in the 3day game but the conditions were a lottery, the game was rain affected and Scotland got the best of the weather.

Zephaniah
August 26, 2004, 06:36 PM
Ulster! Ulster!

OK. I keed.

Welcome Mr. Niblock. Hope you'd enjoy your stay.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:37 PM
heheh may I add I am British, born in the UK and hold a british passport. i will be leaving here in 25 mins btw as its 0036 now in Belfast.

chinaman
August 26, 2004, 06:38 PM
Glad to hear that you will be carrying your camera. I'm the photo guy hear without a camera ;).

I'd really appreciate if you email me the pictures at your convenience (preferably unedited) at chinaman@banglacricket.com

You may visit our photo collection at BanglaCricket Photo Gallery >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/files/gallery/albums.php)

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:39 PM
key players. well the openers in batting (molins and bray), bowling (shaukat and mccoubrey) and white and botha the all rounders. i know thats 6 but its a real team Ireland. I notice Trent Johnson is missing, he can bowl close to 140 and hits the ball hard, a big blow that for Ireland

Zephaniah
August 26, 2004, 06:40 PM
Mr. Niblock. would you please shed some light on your
team's pace bowling attack? We know Adrian McCoubrey of Essex CCC is pretty decent . How about others? Tell us how hostile they are, pace and accuracy wise.
Cheers

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:41 PM
that shouldnt be a problem. as long as my sis lets me have it! i am 16 byw. leg spinner with googly and topspinner. play for North Down in the northern cricket union but leaving due to them picking 40-60 year olds and lack of coaching.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:42 PM
Shaukat is very good. Trent is a big miss I admit. Botha is medium pace but accurate. Mooney I havent seen. McCoubrey is good, also Eagleson missing from the squad. He is injured I think, like Mortaza its a common occurence. I hope Mashrafe gets back soon, he can be a top test bowler.

chinaman
August 26, 2004, 06:43 PM
Cool.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:44 PM
As for the pitch......well the domestic cup final was a good batting track although it has been raining here non stop so dont expect a high scoring game. lets hope the weather clears up.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:47 PM
I know I am gora and I live in UK but I know about Bangladesh too and I am an ardent supporter of them having test status. Look what Whatmore did with Sri Lanka. He will do the same with Bangladesh. I think the batsmen need to be more disciplined and the bowlers more penetrative, but the talent is unquestionable. Nafis hit a 100 against England in warm up game. Moniruzzaman has made big runs domestically. Where is Shahiar Hossain? And whats with Sanwar since he was called? Enamul will be good player. I think they should have stuck with Alok, he is better than Faisal Hossain.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:47 PM
can someone tell me more about Athar Ali Khan?

chinaman
August 26, 2004, 06:48 PM
Rain! That's a bad news. Last thing we want is the rain taking away our practice opportunities!

Hopefully it will be competative & exciting matches between Ireland and Bangladesh. Good luck to both.

chinaman
August 26, 2004, 06:50 PM
He is no longer a player now but one of the four national selectors chaired by Faruque Ahmed.

Zephaniah
August 26, 2004, 06:51 PM
In my book, Athar Ali kha is the best player in pre-test era. He was an opening batsman and first change medium pace bowler. Scored few spectacular half centuries against big guns at that time. CLASSY BATSMAN.

Rubu
August 26, 2004, 06:52 PM
Athar Ali Khan

former bangladeshi opener
he was the most consistant opener of bangladesh so far
he is the part of 3 member (+dav the coach) selection board of BCB
recently (in asia cup) he debuted as a commentrator, but he sucked.
He was the first bangladeshi to be a man of the match.
to see his profile click Here>> (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/PLAYERS/BDESH/A/ATHAR_ALI_KHAN_25001897/)

Nasif
August 26, 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Gary Niblock
I know I am gora and I live in UK but I know about Bangladesh too and I am an ardent supporter of them having test status. Look what Whatmore did with Sri Lanka. He will do the same with Bangladesh. I think the batsmen need to be more disciplined and the bowlers more penetrative, but the talent is unquestionable. Nafis hit a 100 against England in warm up game. Moniruzzaman has made big runs domestically. Where is Shahiar Hossain? And whats with Sanwar since he was called? Enamul will be good player. I think they should have stuck with Alok, he is better than Faisal Hossain.

Wow Gary, you are deep into BD cricket :). As for Athar Ali, he is a nation selector now and also does match commentary from time to time. All 3 selectors, Athar, Faruk and Price doing a good job. This selection panel has to be the most disciplined in quite some time. I find their selection logical and on the spot.

Athar used to be good batsman in his time. He retired at the right time. These days his commentary is very good. Quite aggresive and strong in his points, never fails to show the real reason behind things. I also hear he is great personality.

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 06:56 PM
agentsmith he commentated in WC03 and on the England series. thats how i know him

Gary Niblock
August 26, 2004, 07:01 PM
Is Habibul coming to Belfast? i must bring my autograph bat

Rubu
August 26, 2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Gary Niblock
Is Habibul coming to Belfast? i must bring my autograph bat

hate to disappoint u, he is not going to england at all.

he got a thumb injury and ruled out of champion's trophy. rajin has been selected captian in place of him.

he is going to Australia soon for surgery and will be out of cricket for about a month or so.

Beamer
August 26, 2004, 10:57 PM
I am impressed beyond!! welcome Gary, enjoy your stay.

fwullah
August 27, 2004, 12:05 AM
recently (in asia cup) he debuted as a commentrator

Yes, Atahar probably started his commentary since Zimbabwe tour 2001 (or was it Shamim Ashraf starting English commentary in Ekushey TV?). Anyway, Atahar has been a tv commentator for a long time now, at least 3 years.

fwullah
August 27, 2004, 12:10 AM
Al Shahriar was known to be good against pace bowling, that's why he was tried as the opener in the first place, but since he failed miserably during the world cup 2003, and also could not show anything much after the world cup, so he's not selected.

Yes, Alok Kapali is a much better player than Foisal, but Alok is lacking the confidence at the moment, and his form is also not as good as it can be, so he's out of the squad.

Zobair
August 27, 2004, 10:33 AM
Hi Gary! Welcome to the Tigers home :) You sure have more knowledge about the Bangladeshi team than we do about yours! But it is very obvious to us Tiger fans that Ireland is one of the up and coming members of world cricket. I was just floored with the way you guys played the West Indies. You guys chased down that HUGE Windian total like champions.

Best of luck with your legspin! I pretend to bowl some of that too. Just that I have absolutely no control over it. :D

fwullah
August 27, 2004, 11:50 AM
I have a question for Gary. How many of the 1998 Ireland team has survived until today?

AsifTheManRahman
August 27, 2004, 01:35 PM
Hey Gary...

Welcome to BanglaCricket...hope you enjoy your stay here...

btw how would you rate Irish cricket in terms of the young talent that they have on the reserve bench? are youngsters coming up, or is the picture somewhat similar to places like kenya?

betaar
August 27, 2004, 01:35 PM
Hi Gary,
welcome to our den. Iím really surprised that you know so much of BD cricket. you even know some x-players which is very surprising. Do I dare ask, if you are some how related to BD, meaning any member from BD in your family tree. Or are you the coach of Ireland team trying to get info out of us about the current BD team? ;-)
I know so far you are the one who gave us more info on the Irish team, may be thatís because you are British. Lol.

None the less, enjoy your visit here. :)

Bangla Mostan
August 27, 2004, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the Tigers DEN..well i meant to the jungle..its nice to have such an ardent supporter of Deshi cricket...its a real pleasure my man.!:fanflag: