PDA

View Full Version : My two cents

James90
August 29, 2004, 06:31 AM
I've been thinking...our youngsters at around 20 come onto the scene with a bang become a star after two tournaments then burn out. They come and go and soon in their career they hit the wall (like Alok, Hannan, Rokon, Talha etc.). But the only players who manage to consistently maintain a place in the squad are Bashar, Javed, Rafique, Pilot and even Sujon. The older players. Why is this? Experience? Maturity? Whatever it is...i'm thinking...all our players have to do is grow up. So in 10 years or so the Bangladesh team will be strong.

Hannan
Nafis
Aftab
Rajin
Ashraful
Alok
Dhiman
Razzaq/Enamul
Tapash
Talha/Nazmul
Shahadat

I'm thinking that Mashrafe will be permanently crippled by then. But if half of them become consistant performers then BD cricket is in a strong position

Edited on, August 29, 2004, 11:33 AM GMT, by Habibul_fan.

fwullah
August 29, 2004, 06:47 AM
You forgot that after each and every tournament, there are debutants coming in, so we'll be in a circle like forever.

I think someone said something like this in another thread.

In short, we'll never get a set of "EXPERIENCED" players.

Zephaniah
August 29, 2004, 07:32 AM
I too think Mashrafee would not survive rigor of International Cricket that long. Sad but true :(

oracle
August 29, 2004, 08:11 AM
all our players have to do is grow up. So in 10 years or so the Bangladesh team will be strong.

And 'Grow up" in the sense of cricket and especially international cricket requires back up from older players and constant access with proper guidance. I suspect that these youngsters suffer every time they are out of the National pool once they are not selected. As in Masri's case. I am not entirely convinced about the way Masri is being prepared and rehabilitated.

Zephaniah
August 29, 2004, 09:01 AM
Now Hannan and Alok are dropped. What they have to do to come back to national fold? Training with HPU is a good initiative but unfortunately it's not enough. Training is only a process to help players take corrective measurement to amend their faults. Real match situation is the only way to assess wherether they have made any significant progress. Instead of pushing them to play below par domestic cricket, or no cricket for that matter at the moment, I urge BCB to arrange few A team matches with major test playing nations. Srilanka A team is strong at the moment and i guess they are free to accept any offer. Think!

chinaman
August 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
I am not entirely convinced about the way Masri is being prepared and rehabilitated.I'm convinced. Could not ask for more considering the whole situation. He has been well taken care of according to the media reports. But what actually takes place within the HPU is beyond us due to the unavailability of media reports.

The debut loop we see in the selection process is quite understandable given the popular demands and the relative new-comer status of the country at the elite stage.

Currently our pool revolves more around academic sources (BKSP, Targeted Camps, Age Groups etc) than the practical ones (genuine leagues, established A team etc).

Once we meet some demands in the front and a running pool system with both academic and practical legs smoothly interconnected, in the back, we will see more realistic approach to the selection process and greater care to the youngsters.

It is more like a kid learning to write on papers. At the begining he wastes a lot of papers but with practice and time he will learn to use it with minimal waste.