PDA

View Full Version : Overconfidence

Mahmood
December 17, 2002, 01:42 PM
I am scared now, seems like the whole country is jinxing the team for such a great day. I just read ittefaq, they are already trying to make all believe, if BD can take a 200 run lead, BD shall win.

I am hoping the management has restricted all players from reading any news during the game. Otherwise, they will read all the praises, the possibilities and go out there and blow the whole game before lunch.

We are 62 runs behind, enough for another innings defeat.

[Edited on 17-12-2002 by Rajputro]

Tehsin
December 17, 2002, 02:03 PM
You spoke out on something I have been afraid about.
Here's the thing, we can celebrate their good day but unfortunately our players don't have that luxury. They need to hang in there all day today to make is worth it for celebration.

Tehsin
December 17, 2002, 04:11 PM
(aami khub monojog diyei shob porchi r book ta fulche .... )

Just reading prothom-alo.com, they make it sound like we already won the Test match. :)

Ektu beshi hoye jachchena ? The management should keep the players away from TV/Radio/Papers until the match is over and then have them read it as a group. :)

rafiq
December 17, 2002, 09:04 PM
how did someone calculate that a 200 lead ensures victory. what is WI going to do in the second innings - get out for under 200? what are these people smokin?

getting blown away for under 62 would make for a spectacular collapse in line with the 90 or so all out in the first test against India. if you remember, that was after an innings of 400.

if bangladesh wants to avoid defeat, which in itself would be a victory, then i figure they need to bat until tea of the fourth day. that means we score 400-500 runs!! BD would never dare declare earlier. and if WI are asked to chase 400 with a little over a day, they can make a game of it even then.

my point: there is no way in hell bangladesh is going to score 400-500. it is only the morning of the 3rd day. we are headed for another sure defeat, only we hope and pray this one will go to 4 days if not 5.:(

Tehsin
December 17, 2002, 09:46 PM
4 days, that's the most we can last against West Indies. This of course depending on the first couple of hours today. The wicket will assist the WI bowlers and our batsmen will have to fight against themselves as well as the bowling.

When you read the papers, they make it sound like West Indies was completely blown away by our bowling. Hmmmm, if our best bowling can not stop a team from getting to 300, what does that say about us ? I would have understood if we had them for 200, even then it wouldn't have been labelled as devastating as our bengali papers make it out to be. Come on now, we get bowled out for 87, that's devastating bowling, not 296.

samircreep
December 17, 2002, 09:48 PM
my heart wants us to draw but my head knows the match will be over by tea today.I think the Bengali Syndrome (aka overconfidence) has struck the newspapers once again.

Mahmood
December 17, 2002, 10:00 PM
My brain tells me the match will still be over in 3 day.

My heart hopes for a draw.

Tehsin
December 17, 2002, 10:22 PM
My heart and my brain are looking at each other and going - I don't know you anymore. I thought we were in it together. :)

[Edited on 18-12-2002 by tehsin]