PDA

View Full Version : Two Cheers to Sylhet!

Sham
December 18, 2002, 10:02 AM
To the land that has given us Kapali and Baisya. Not to mention yours truly.

Well actually, I was born in Dhaka, grew up in Dhaka and have only been to Sylhet about 5 times. But hey, thats where my roots are and I'm proud of it!

Pundit
December 18, 2002, 11:13 AM
Maybe u should try out for the nat team - who know what dividends it may end up paying.

Sham 100 n.o. 185b 210min 10fours 2sixes

Runtings
December 18, 2002, 11:18 AM
sham, u not sylheti...so dont jump on the bandwagon.

I'm true sylheti and proud of it!!!!

Sham
December 18, 2002, 11:51 AM
Hey, my maternal and paternal grandparents are from Sylhet. That makes my parents Sylheti, even though neither lived there for much of their lives, and that makes me Sylheti. And I am proud of it too. DAMN PROUD!!

As for the national team, I really should try out. Can't do worse than Sumon did last night. Actually, if I had lived in Dhaka, I would have taken my cricket a lot more seriously and tried to get into a Second Division side and move up from there. But I always knew that I was going to go abroad and that put an end to all my cricketing aspirations. But I am glad that MY Sylheti brethren are representing OUR district/division with distinction.

Shubho
December 18, 2002, 02:08 PM
Them Sylhetis in London's East End piss me off with their regionalism. Let's not start this crap on this board. That'd be a real shame. I respect what Sylhetis have done for our country (they've done more than just give us Kapali and Baisya). But then they want to be a race apart from us 'Bangalis' sometimes, and that really does my head in. The Chittagonians don't seem to be much better.

Anecdote:
Conversation with a storekeeper in Brick Lane (Sangeeta music store):

Shubho: Kemon asen, uncle?

Sylheitta: Areh, Shubbo mama, khita khobor, bhai, bala asuni?

Shubho: Ji, eitto, cholchhe.

Sylheitta: Areh bhai, abaro bangali-r moto baat khortasen khilliga...ami to bustam na.

Banglay kothha bolbo na to ki korbo? Hindi bolbo?

Otherwise, hats off to all Sylhetis who've ever done anything for BD. And hats off to Alok and Tapash for really making a difference in the BD lineup. I reckon Alok could become our Aravinda (he's almost a clone). Tapash needs to tighten up his bowling a little...he's still a little expensive...but damn, so far he's been quite effective.

2M2T is gonna kick butt at the next World Cup, ladies and gentlemen.

2M2T = MMTT = M, M, T, T = Mashrafee, Manjurul, Talha, Tapash

[Edited on 18-12-2002 by Shubho]

Orpheus
December 18, 2002, 02:22 PM
shubho dekhi Humayan Ahmeder naikader moto kotha koi..Bepar ki Shubho??

"Banglay kothha bolbo na to ki korbo? Hindi bolbo?" -- HAHa

Actually I had to speak in english with all my sylheti friends. I had to hear this response from couple of sylhetis. "amee dhaha buji/mati na". After that when I try to have a conversation in english, I get the feeling hetera "amerikhao maate na"

What's up with the chittagonians? Chittagonian maiya cheka dise naki??

p.s - no wonder why tapash baishay looks like this :D, he is sylheti!!

Nasif
December 18, 2002, 03:29 PM
Shubho I liked your 2M2T and changed my picture to 2M2T :)

Sham
December 18, 2002, 04:05 PM
Shubho and Humayun Ahmed's nayikas! Hahaha. Btw Shubho, chill out, the whole Sylhet thing was done in good humor. No one is starting any "crap" on this board. I like the MMTT as well. And Nasif, your pic looks pretty cool.

Shubho
December 18, 2002, 04:32 PM
Sham, I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, mate. Sorry. But the Sylhetis in England do piss me off with their regionalism. It just divides a divided nation even further.

As for Chittagonians, Orpheus. Ho bhai, chheka khaisilam. But she was only half Chittagonian. The other half? You guessed it: Sylheti. LOL. But things should work out again despite all of that (with the same girl).

2M2T go go go! Nasif, love your pic of the said quartet.

James90
December 18, 2002, 05:15 PM
It looks awesome but even better if you turn it the other way round......running in, delivery stride, follow through, Lou Vincent being bowled

Now that would be cool. Where do you get the pics from?

Piranha
December 19, 2002, 12:21 AM
Sylhetis are cool.:cool:

Btw, be aware of Sylhetis who claim that they have seen these new youngsters in the cricket team play before. They will tell you that they have noticed the talents in net practices way before the selectors did. I have a relative who is actually one of them and their numbers are surely growing ;)

Regionalism pisses me off too. But it seems to be on the wane with the newer generations (dont expect any radical changes too soon though).

Tehsin
December 19, 2002, 02:15 AM
For someone who grw up knowing himself as a Bangladeshi, regionalism is surprising. I guess people around me never talked about it so it never came to mind. So, when I hear people calling Dhaka folks Kuttis, making fun of the Sylhetti language or how everyone is tui (Tu-ee) in Chittagong or how people from Noakhali are bad guests (kheyei dour marey) - it just goes to show the narrow-minded-ness of folks. However, it's common all over the world and it's just a human trait we all have to live with.

It's like this, you'll find a lot of Indians or other foreigners speaking perfect english with some VERY THICK accent. You can perfectly understand what they are saying if you can GET OVER The fact that they are foreigners. not everyone can do that. Take Sylhetis/Chittagonians/Noakhalians (?) for example, if you have common sense, no matter what part of Bangladesh you are from, you will understand what they are saying (context). But if you are too occupied with the person and not the words, heck, you can't underastand him/her even if s/he was speaking Bangla. It's nothing to be proud of. It just shows your lack of ....

Sylhettis can't speak good english based on a handful of experience ? Well really ? From my experience, majority of Bangladeshis (no matter what district) can't speak good english. Very few had the luxury and/or good fortune to go to a english medium school or have had parents with good education. You can't expect a person to change colors overnight, it all comes down to surroundings.

My generation who came in here after english schooling back home have minimal accent. But guess what, those who are brought up here have pretty much no accent (their family might have some influence on them). There's no point making fun of our older generation or people who haven't had our privilage because they were overlooked by god or whatever. Now, if you came out of a real neglected childhood without the privilaged lifestyle and made something out of yourself, sure, go ahead and look down on the rest of us if that makes you feel like a better person. :)

PS. Everyone is however entitle to make fun of ahommok dhach er manush, people who are in power (BCB), in print and media (like Mr. Shahryar from Cricinfo - if you are taking that job, you got to deal with the critics), or are public figures (our cricketers).

Nasif
December 19, 2002, 02:38 AM
h_fan:
I didn't think of the pics that way, running, stride, delivery and wicket. Now I arranged it in that order. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Taposh, Monju and Talha's pics are from yesterday's Janakantha newspaper website. Masri's one is from cricinfo. As you can see I STEAL pictures :D

Orpheus
December 19, 2002, 03:11 AM
Tehsin Bhai re, Ki je kori.

100% agreed with your thoughts but it was unnecessary. I think Sham clarified the whole subject.

"the whole Sylhet thing was done in good humor"

By the way, I think sylhetis speak very good english, - better than other Bangladeshis. Then again, you can't define a person by their origin.

The regionalism thing is nothing. I think it is just another way of some bengali to feel good about themselves and have some laughter that's all. Nothing else. I mean it's not as serious as racism. For instance, you don't see any groups such as "Klu Klux Klan" emerging from Bangladesh. So, chill!!! You can't stop this harmless mockery!!!

Jaihok!!!! Sylhet, Chittagong, Moymyenshing, Kumilla, Borishal Everything Rules!!!!! Everybody Rules!! Bangladesh is one hell of a Ruling country!!

P.S. Apne eto "chetchen" keno?? Apnar hobu bou ki sylheitta???

If yes be proud man!! Them sylheti girls are finnneee!! and Willddddd!!!

[Edited]: Oh yeah, One more thing - Tehsin Bhai, Ajke ki shutki radhlen?? :D

[Edited on 19-12-2002 by Orpheus]

Nasif
December 19, 2002, 05:02 AM
Jaihok!!!! Sylhet, Chittagong, Moymyenshing, Kumilla, Borishal Everything Rules!!!!!

Yea moymonshing (mymensingh) rules :D Guess why? I was born there.

Zobair
December 19, 2002, 07:54 AM
nasif man! shake a paw...I am from Mymensingh too...:)

Pundit
December 19, 2002, 12:45 PM
Yes, I was almost shocked to see this thread at risk of becoming a serious one. BD is just fine, the problems with it are only-

1. Poverty
2. Under-education
3. Too many apa and bhais crammed into 55,598 borgo maieel.
4. Pochaa cricket team

Everything else, is really really trivial !

Hey Nasif, the 2nd bowler (moving clockwise from top left) looks more like Majnu and not Tapash. If so, to maintain the delivery stride as suggested by H_FAN, TTMM becomes TMTM.

[Edited on 19-12-2002 by Pundit]

[Edited on 19-12-2002 by Pundit]

Pundit
December 19, 2002, 12:49 PM
Sorry, I take that back. Manju is the lefty.

:)

Orpheus
December 19, 2002, 01:06 PM
:D <-- this

If you see anyone looking like that, it's tapash! Amar mone hoi, Hinds ei shalar hashir dekhate concentrate korte paare nai.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Tapash is the man!

Tehsin
December 19, 2002, 03:46 PM
I wanted to stir things around a bit, darn it. I fAILED. Figured with cricket out of the picture ofr a few weeks, had to do something to keep everyone upbeat for the World cup.

As for the regionalism thing, it's a load of you know what. Majority of the folks know pretty much what's at stake. They didn't need a lecture (maybe a reminder).

Nasif
December 19, 2002, 08:18 PM
easiest way to recognize Tapash is :D

Very trure :D. But that big "simle" is more like a grunt. Probably thats part of his action. Whatever it is, it works to destroy batsman's concetration. :D

[Edited on 20-12-2002 by nasif]