PDA

View Full Version : Down to 20

Tehsin
December 21, 2002, 03:30 PM
BCB names list of 20

No room for Aminul, Akram

Sports Reporter

The BCB (Bangladesh Cricket Board) yesterday announced a short list of 20 cricketers for the World Cup to be held in South Africa in February-March.

The Board will have to announce the mandatory list of 15 players by December 31, the deadline for naming the World Cup squads by the 14 contestants.

But the choice of twenty players from the provisional list of 30 has already made sure there would be no room for most of the cricketers who represented Bangladesh in the 1999 World Cup in England.

Only four cricketers -- Khaled Mashud, Khaled Mahmud, Mohammed Rafique and Monjurul Islam -- are still in the frame of making a second World Cup appearance.

The Board, which is maintaining the policy of announcing captain before every tour or competition, also retained Khaled Mashud for the most demanding job.

But the hope to play in another World Cup was over for former captains Aminul Islam and Akram Khan along with slow left-armer Enamul Hoque. Aminul, not being considered for one-day side in months, led Bangladesh to two wins in the England World Cup.

Right-arm paceman Hasibul Hossain was the other experienced player who failed to impress the three-man selection committee, headed by Aliul Islam.

The lone notable inclusion in an otherwise youthful list is Mushfiqur Rahman. The Rajshahi medium pacer has been out of the national team for a long time. He last played for Bangladesh in the tour of Zimbabwe in April 2001.

Besides, gutsy all-rounder Khaled Mahmud also won back a place after being ignored for the one-day series against the West Indies.

The selectors also kept their faith in paceman Mashrafee-bin-Murtaza. The 18-year-old tearaway from Narail is now on a comeback trail after being out of action for nearly a year due to a series of injuries.

Experienced national opener Javed Omar, who was not considered for the home series against the Caribbeans, also got the nod. He was dropped from the 1999 World Cup for his reputation of being a very slow run-getter with limited stroke-play.

The World Cup hopefuls will start training at the BKSP from December 24. They have been asked to report to manager ASM Faruque at the Board's Bangabandhu National Stadium office at 10 am on Tuesday.

Bangladesh have been placed with Canada, West Indies, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya and hosts South Africa in one group.

They will play their opening match against Canada at Kingsmead in Durban on February 11.

Tehsin
December 21, 2002, 03:56 PM
Or was Durjoy in the last world cup side ?

Only four cricketers -- Khaled Mashud, Khaled Mahmud, Mohammed Rafique and Monjurul Islam -- are still in the frame of making a second World Cup appearance.

Is that right ? By the way, they did not give us the names.

James90
December 21, 2002, 06:52 PM
They say Javed made the side and I wasn't a BD fan in the last WC so I wouldn't really know but I thought he was there too as reserve opener with Mehrab and Bidyut

James90
December 21, 2002, 06:55 PM
Masri,Golla,Mushfiqur,Monju,Rafique,Pilot, Sujon are in and wouldn't Sumon have played in the last WC?

rafiq
December 21, 2002, 11:02 PM
luck doesn't favor moni. he is branded as "test" instead of "one day", which is fine. but then he keeps getting pushed off the test team because he is "too old" yet they still don't have anyone to replace him so every time they drop him, they bring him back. moni offers a full 10 overs of containment in tghe one days, which is valuable, so i am not sure why he wouldn't even be considered on the 10 man team.

bringing in mushfiq babu is a joke. they should have included tehsin, sham or habibul-fan instead. or what about anwar hossain monir the bowler who actually generated some pace in south africa and has the tour under his belt.

fwullah
December 21, 2002, 11:41 PM
First of all, Habibul Bashar Sumon was not in the last World cup side. He was not even a regular until Asia Cup 2000.

I don't remember much about the Stand By List, but Javed could have been in that Stand By list if either Mehrab or Bidyut were injured.

I think in addition of Enamul Haque's being old as he is, the fact that he is also not being a good fielder also went against him. Monju, Rafique and partly Sumon - they all fell in this category too, but I guess they are capable of good fielding even now and taking only the good fielders - according to the present Bangladesh side, won't help if there isn't experience of some sort in the side.

I would stand beside Mushfiqur Rahman - may be he will be in the reserve seat in case Khaled Mahmud gets injured. The only way that he disappoints is by his batting - which still has not justified at the international level. His bowling is right up there - he maintains a consistent line and length, which is sometimes exactly opposite to our most favorite pacer - Talha Jubair.

Anwar Hossain Munir is also a capable line and length bowler to be there in the Stand By List in case of an injury to either Monju, Tapash, Talha, Mashrafe or Tareq Aziz.

But Durjoy could have stayed in the list of 20; but the team management and the selectors know the best.

By the way, did you see that this time in either Prothom Alo or Daily Star that there is no mention of any conflict between the team management and the selectors for choosing the world cup 20 squad?

Tehsin
December 21, 2002, 11:41 PM
Monir is in the team. Atleast in the last 20. They have only kept Rafique probably because Rafique can score a few quick runs (which Moni sometimes does as well).

fwullah
December 21, 2002, 11:43 PM
Its a shame that Aminul Islam couldn't do anything in the 1st test match. If he could score a fifty in either of his innings, then I would have loved to see him in the 20 man list.

rafiq
December 22, 2002, 08:16 PM
so where is this list, was it published anywhere?

mushfiq babu - exactly how many wickets has he taken in his bangladesh career? talha is a kid who will only get better. he generates pace. mushfiq induces sleep and fear of fours and sixes. what else can i say? if they can cut players of the calibre of moni and bulbul, i think it is a travesty that mushfiq comes out of nowhere to be in consideration. my nephew naveed and some of his mates can probably bowl faster than him. what exactly has mushfiq done for bangladesh again? did he ever have a "moment" that we can look back at and take pride in?

sorry i don't know why i get bothered by him so much...
[ps nothing personal fwullah, i respect your right to stand by this guy]

Tehsin
December 22, 2002, 09:11 PM
Bulbul's failure in test doesn't justify his exclusion. The 20 member team has two players who are still recovering and I don't know how much more Tareq Aziz can do compared to Talha and Tapash. Does anyone know the big difference ? I know he is good and he is from Chittagong but I don't see much of a difference otherwise (he did scare the Pakistanis though).

Bulbul and Akram still get my vote. None of the other players have really showed anything special that qualifies them over this two. Also, when was the last time we let the two players play as regulars (not the - one strike you're out routine) ? If others get 4-6 match straight before we drop him, why not extend the same opportunity to two of our most experienced players ?

As for Mushfiq Babu, he is a wonderful player for our local leagues and the A team but I don't expect him to cut into any of our senior sides.

Tehsin
December 22, 2002, 09:33 PM
Pilot
Sumon
Golla
Rokon
Seezan
Sanwar
Hannan
Tusher
Ashraful
Kapali
Anwar (WK)
Shujon
Manju
Rafiq
Mushfiq
Anwar Monir
Tareq
Tapash
Talha
Masri

From Inqulab (dec 22) (http://www.dailyinqilab.com/december22/index.htm)http://www.dailyinqilab.com/december22/index.htm

rafiq
December 23, 2002, 01:11 AM
that is a pretty reasonable group after all. we can go on arguing about bulbul and akram all day long but the fact is for them it's over, baby. they should at least get a lifetime achievement award or be the first inductees in a tiger's hall of fame or something. i am surprised they took javed omar. my world cup 15 is easy:

hannan
rokon
ashraful
sumon
sanwar
kapali
sujon (could play spinner or 4th pacer instead depending on conditions)
pilot
talha
masri
manju

backups:
tapash - pace
rafique - one specialized spinner
javed - opener
tushar - middle order

so no freakin' 5 spinners, 3 gentle medium pacers, 2 wicket keepers and other assorted weirdness i hope...

rafiq
December 23, 2002, 01:15 AM
one more thought - if i were morx, i would be wondering :what the heck just happened?: they bring him back to the one day team as some kind of spinning all rounder saviour - he can neither bowl nor bat at international level - and then they drop him like a hot cake. these selectors going all the way down there to get musfiq babu and passing up on their all round hero durjoy - are they the same people one wonders?

Zobair
December 23, 2002, 05:57 AM
Golla
Al-Shahriar
Sumon
Kapali
Ashraful
Pilot
Rafique
Tapash
Masri
Talha
Monjuru

I know it looks a little thin on the batting... but I think currently our bowling...specifically our pace bowling is our main strength...they are confident, young and gutsy...we should play to our strengths...besides we should stop cushioning our batsmen...and let them go out there with minimal support... at least that way they know they have little margin for error and may be...just may be... they might live up to their abilities...
l say it is time we took some bold steps...lets scorch the Canadians and the Kenyans with our pace :)...and surprise the other ones too...In the batting department we just need Al-shahriar and sumon to fire and give some support to Kapali....Golla can play the anchor role...besides rafique can chip in with the fireworks...and of course our ever-dependable captain Kool Pilot is there as well.
Judging by the state of our team at the moment...our best chance is bowling out teams cheaply than setting up big targets.

Pundit
December 23, 2002, 12:55 PM
I'm not yet sure who'd I like to have in a team.

What I do know is that, Bulbul and Akram, especially the latter, will definitely not be in it. Not even by the most streched imagination.

:cool: I'm on fire !

Tehsin
December 23, 2002, 01:56 PM
It's crunch time.

I saw a comment by Pilot in a papers yesterday and it disturbed me. He mentioned that he doesn't want to play more then 3 matches in Namibia as the Namibian teams are weak. Unless he meant the Namibian club sides, our captain needs to be ready for a shocker. Their national team may not be that tough but in their recent tour of Kenya, they won 2 out of 5 matches.

Hopefully he doesn't have the same feeling for Canada because for all we know, Canada will play their heart ou to make that first game memorable as that will give them their best chance (besides their match against Kenya) to win a world cup game.

As for the team. We will need one more batsman for the Canada and Kenya games. Research the Canadians strenght and weaknesses. If they don't do too well against Spin, leave Rafique in, otherwise, go with four pacers. Also, in the Kneya game, we should not play Shujon. His gentle pace may become very very expensive against the hard hitting Kenyans.

Mohsin needs to work closer with Golla to slow his down to his OLD pace so he can play the anchor role as pompous has mentioned. They need to let ASH go cause if the boy gets going .... (or so we hope). Same applies to Rokon and Hannan. If they can start with a bang against the likes of Canada (except for Davison, that guy CAN stand in our way), we can have an explosive start to the tournament, then some major setbacks against the big teams and then finally pulling together to beat Kenya who will be salivating at the prospect of finishing the tournament with a win over Canada, with an upset over one of the others and offcourse, the prize Sculp of TEST playing Bangladesh in their hands. That will get them closer to getting that test nod they've been dying for.