PDA

View Full Version : This is a little worrying...

Miran
December 24, 2002, 06:02 AM
.....if it's true that is. There's a small snippet of a news report in this month's Wisden Cricket magazine which says the Bangladeshi football lobby is entering into talks to try to get back the 'Bangabandhu'/National Stadium for permanent football use. They want to force the cricketers out to Mirpur apparently.

Have any of you heard about this? Or is this just the latest twist in the stupid, ongoing tussle between football and cricket over the National Stadium?

Incidentally - what's the status of the Fatullah stadium. Is it any good and is it ready for international matches? Have any of you people seen it?

fwullah
December 24, 2002, 12:10 PM
The present sports minister said this that the BNS is to be used for only international games.

And Lobby the present BCB president did say that Mirpur stadium is going to be requested for a permanent cricket venue by the present board to NSC.

Still, I haven't heard about this directly.

I think Fatullah will be ready for international cricket when the present government will be finishing this 5 year term - so that's a long way from now.

Tehsin
December 24, 2002, 02:31 PM
cricket isn't doing much but atleast it's not ranked 150th in the world. So, Football has really not much right (i love both the games but BNS should be crickets) to claim BNS.

Cricket on the other hand needs good pitches that needs to be taken care of as they cost a whole lot more to prepare and maintain. There is no point wasting our minimal resources to repair the damages after every switch. That just makes no financial sense.

Pundit
December 24, 2002, 03:37 PM
Such "tussles" are not too uncommon - though I'd suppose its impact on the development of cricket in BD is more detrimental.

H_FAN, isn't there such a situation with the MCG ?