PDA

View Full Version : Shrink at work ...

Tehsin
December 24, 2002, 03:41 PM
Mashrafee, Habibul's WC dream
UNB, Dhaka
DAILYSTARNEWS.COM

Frontline Bangladesh batsman Habibul Bashar wants to bounce back at next year's Cricket World Cup after his failures in the recent home series against the West Indies team.
With the help of the national team's new psychologist Clinton Gayward, Bashar has already sorted out his faults and is now determined to overcome the run drought.

"My expectations were very high in the series against the West Indies that's why I felt in pressure. I failed to play my natural game that affected my performance," he explained while talking to reporters yesterday.

The right-handed batsman came to report at the Bangabandhu National Stadium for the camp ahead of the World Cup to be held in South Africa from February-March.

Bashar said Gayward helped him find out the problems and gave tips on how he could play naturally.

"He (Gayward) suggested that I should only think about my performance and not other things," he said.

As the national team began its preparation camp at BKSP, a real battle is expected, especially in the bowling department with the return of talented pace bowler Mashrafee Bin Mortuza who will join Monjurul Islam, Talha Jubair and Tapash Baishya.

The tearaway from Narail came back in the squad after a year's absence due to injury.

"I'm completely fit now. I can generate my old pace and my run-up is the same but I changed my bowling action as suggested by TA Shekhar of India," Mashrafee said who set a target to bowl at a speed of 140 km-per-hour.

The promising pacer said, "I'm just waiting to play in the national team. I have been practising in nets for the last one and a half months, and I am trying my best to regain my rhythm."

Khaled Mahmud the experienced campaigner is optimistic of playing in his second World Cup though he was ignored in the home series against the West Indies.

"My performance in South Africa in the last tour was not bad. So I'm hopeful to get a place in the final squad," said Mahmud who was adjudged man-of-the-match when Bangladesh beat Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup.

He is one of the four cricketers in the list of 20 who represented Bangladesh in England three years ago. The others being the present captain Khaled Mashud, left-arm paceman Monjurul Islam and slow left-arm bowler Mohammad Rafique.

==============================
In a report, it said Masri is in the camp while another said he is playing against Dhaka. Interesting. Have we already started cloning (God knows we need it)?

Sumon sounds optimistic. His sessions probably relieved him a bit and now we can expect our old SUmon back.
Shujon is nice enough to admit that he wasn't overly excited about his performance in SA.

The pace sextet (masri/manju/Tapash/Talha/Tareq - wait, that's five, my bad) have their work cut out hwile the batsmen will have a relatively easier time. Should have been the other way around.

Arnab
December 24, 2002, 03:48 PM
nerd alert: quintet.