7) Pilot
8) Sujon
9) Tapash
10) Monju
11) Talha
12) Golla
13) Rafique
14) Mashrafe
15) Tareq Aziz (reserved pacer) / Tushar Imran (reserved batsman) / Anwar Hossain (Reserved wicket keeper)

Except for the 15th man, the rest of the team is I think easy to pick.

Pundit
December 29, 2002, 12:27 PM
A team chosen very predictably - which is really good, as it means that the team is stabilizing even among the losses !

Yes, the 15th spot is the pnly one left for contention. If you choose the first 11 as the core team, then between 12-14, we have a spinner (the only full time one), a low-in-confidence & form batsman, and a fast bowler. I don't think any of the bowlers will need to be replaced as urgently as you might need to replace a batsman. And really, MASRI is a better replacement bowler than Golla is a replacement batsman. Additionally, Tareq's new form is untested, and we already have a wc. So my 15th man is Tushar IMRAN.

fwullah
December 30, 2002, 12:18 AM
1) Rokon
2) Hannan
3) Ashraful
4) Sumon
5) Sanwar / Tushar Imran
6) Kapali
7) Pilot
8) Sujon
9) Tapash
10) Monju
11) Talha
12) Javed
13) Rafique
14) Mashrafe
15) Ehsanul Haque Seejan

The only difference with this selection to my one is Seejan.

fwullah
December 30, 2002, 12:28 AM
1) Rokon
2) Hannan
3) Javed
4) Sumon
5) Sanwar
6) Ashraful
7) Tushar Imran
8) Kapali
9) Pilot
10) Sujon
11) Rafique
12) Tapash
13) Talha
14) Mashrafe
15) Monju

Same as Pundit's 15.

James90
December 30, 2002, 09:50 PM
Imagine if you were Tushar and you didn't get picked. And instead you see Ehsanul in the side. Wouldn't that be heart-breaking?

fwullah
December 30, 2002, 11:17 PM
Well today's prothom Alo says that there was a long debate over choosing the 3rd opener and that Javed Omar is out and Ehsanul is in. - Which I think is a mistake, a big mistake by the selectors, i.e., not the inclusion of Ehsanul in the final 15 and inclusion of Ehsanul in place of Javed Omar, but the exclusion of Javed Omar.

fwullah
December 30, 2002, 11:36 PM
Bangladesher Khela reports that there is a debate going on at who to choose from either Mushfiqur Rahman and Javed Omar. And that Ehsanul Haque is already in the side.

I think if this report is true, then it is rubbish to even think of choosing 1 player out of Mushfique and Javed. With the kind of Bhongur (break-able) batting line up that the Bangladesh side is in, Javed Omar should easily be in the side.

fwullah
December 30, 2002, 11:47 PM
Inquilab reports that the team management and selectors were in agreement of choosing the 12 players, but then they had discussed about the other 3 players and could not decide who to choose.

Because the opening position is not so solid, so some among the selectors and among the team management want to include 4 players, but the rest also disagreed on it.

There is still a debate remaining on who to choose among Sanwar and Tushar and also there was a debate on whether to pick Mushfique in the 15 member team at all.

They will all sit today again to solve this issue.

fwullah
December 30, 2002, 11:50 PM
I think that there should be no question in not picking Mushfiqur Rahman since it has been already decided that Ehsanul Haque should be in the side. Because both Ehsanul and Mushfique's bowling are quite similar.

rafiq
December 31, 2002, 12:44 AM
thanks for keeping us updated. looks like they are trying hard to come up with something stupid when it seems the decision is pretty simple.

happy new year to all.