PDA

View Full Version : Final 15 announced

Zobair
December 31, 2002, 09:19 AM
The squad:

Khaled Mashud (captain), Habibul Bashar, Al-Shahriar, Ehsanul Hoque, Sanwar Hossain, Khaled Mahmud, Monjurul Islam, Mohammad Rafique, Hannan Sarker, Mohammad Ashraful, Tushar Imran, Tapas Baishya, Alok Kapali, Masrafe Bin Mortaza, Talha Jubair.

source: BBC Sports

so there you go...end to all speculation...i quite like the team.....at least the idea is right....what do you guys think?

Pundit
December 31, 2002, 10:26 AM
Great team.

I don't think anyone can dispute more than any one player here.

For me, Seezan got the nod ahead of Javed. My time hardly permits me to keep up with players who have played less than 3 tests. So, I remain silent. Javed's form surely must have been at best very average for a while, to merit this selection.

Rafique is a safe choice to have, despite those SA wickets. He might be a contributor against Kenya/Canada , especially against the latter with so many below-par-WI jokers. I have little compassion for people who leave the sun drenched palm tree beaches and migrate North to the frigid winterlands. Money, Money !!

One last thing - GOOD LUCK ! May you win 2+ games.

fwullah
December 31, 2002, 11:04 AM
We should now back this team and hope for a 2+ win.

GOOD LUCK GUYS!:cool:

DOORBIN
December 31, 2002, 07:31 PM
Looks like a young team with promising players, although I am not quite familiar with some of the cricketers' profiles ... due to distance. Is there a good website to view-- to get an in-depth analysis of all of these players' performance? And... who is the Coach at the moment? THAT'S VERY IMPORTANT AS WELL.

James90
December 31, 2002, 08:13 PM
Mohsin Kamal(former Pakistan bowler) is the coach at the moment and you should check out this site:

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/NATIONAL/BDESH/

James90
December 31, 2002, 08:23 PM
No MORX:D and the green light for Mashrafi....can this get any better?

samircreep
December 31, 2002, 10:06 PM
I'm surprised that no one has disputed the selection of Sarkar.True, he hasn't had that many one-dayers to prove himself, but I've had a chance to have a good look at him over the last 5 months and frankly, I don't quite see how he merits selection over Javed.Sarkar still has problems getting behind the ball, has absolutely no footwork whatsoever (well, he does move his feet, but not after the ball's left him) and has really poor shot selection (which he doesn't exactly have a monopoly over, mind you).So exactly how is he a better sub for Golla (who's a "born opener" in his own words!)?

I'd rather open with Golla and Ash but that's obviously not gonna happen now.So how about Seezan and Rokon?From what I've seen of Seezan so far, this guy has quality and he plays straight.And Pilot obviously should take credit for unearthing his bowling talents.

What sayest thou, o learned ones?

fwullah
December 31, 2002, 11:50 PM
Everybody has his weaknesses, but it is no time to speak about their weaknesses or name the players who have major weaknesses.

Because if we speak up loudly, those players will have low confidence and as far as i know, world cup is all about how confident and self esteem a particular player has.

samircreep
January 1, 2003, 02:05 AM
Ya, but I don't think Sarkar's actually gonna log in, read my message and lose his confidence just coz i think his technique is flawed. Not only is that self-aggrandizing, but I'm also sure that the team management has a much better understanding of his strengths and weaknesses.

I guess i wasn't being clear enuff in my last post.Once again, my point is:Javed's a better player than Hannan at this stage in their careers;hence, Golla should have been in the team, not Hannan.

rafiq
January 1, 2003, 04:08 AM
the team is as expected to those following this bandwagon over the last year.

on this not being the time to critique the selection, not sure i follow. anytime is a good time to discuss pros and cons of a player. that is what a message board is for and let's hope a player's confidence isn't shattered so easily by what is said here. it takes a bit of self-confidence to be an athelete, i am sure our players are tough enough by now having already faced a ton of criticism.

my 15 man team would have had javed over ehsanul. but javed is now destined to be a test player if he remains in the national picture at all. it's too bad that the experienced players all went bust at the same time.

rokon is also having a bad patch as opener and many of us thought it would have been better if he had not opened. as for hannan, if he can score 25-30 then they don't care much about his current lack of footwork. hannan is the incumbent one day and test opener, if javed wants the spot he will have to show the goods on the field. recently, javed hasn't and that's the bottom line.

the opening position will continue to trouble bangladesh. the lack of solid batting at the top will also mean the sujon needs to play, thus denying us a chance to see the world's newest "pace quartet" of MMTT in action at the same time. i would love to see them have a go just once, maybe against canada?

rafiq
January 1, 2003, 04:26 AM
One more thought on experience vs youth. That is ultimately what the decision on the 15th man came down to, and they went with youth.

I don't think i have seen much of ehsanul other than a game here or there. On the other hand javed has been around the block even if he has been so-so lately. So has sumon, yet we keep him because he is still #1 despite kapali's ascendance.

I think I would have wanted experience for that alternate opening position. You make the change when either rokon or hannan need to be dropped. in that situation, do you throw in a relatively untested ehsanul or put in someone who has been there before? in the world cup, experience does matter, it is not the time for experimentation. nevertheless, good luck to ehsanul when (not if) he gets thrown out there.

fwullah
January 1, 2003, 05:51 AM
I think Ehsanul is the fourth choice as opener since we have Ashraful in the side too.

And the team management can think of putting Ashraful in place of either Hannan or Rokon.

(Not my choice because I think Ashraful is not a matured player yet to open an innings in a world cup match).

Ockey
January 1, 2003, 06:26 AM
I just want to re-emphasize some things that has already been mentioned:

1) Experience really does count in the World Cup and...

2) Hanan lacks foot work and so far has not proven to be a solid opener in ODIs

Hanan certainly has not had as many opportunities to play as an opener at an international level and so it's really too early to judge his performance in the future. But, as Rafiq mentioned already, if Hanan fails what does BD do then? Place Ehsanul with Ash or Ash with Al Shahriar. Why should BD have to experienment with new opening pairs when there aready a proven opener. I hate to use the cliche but I really feel Javed is going through a rough patch. When it will clear...I don't know but I am confident that it will clear. Also, there is more of a chance of Javed clicking as an opener in the WC than Hanan performing up to par in a relatively new position with the added pressure of playing in his first WC.

Having seen Javed Omer in a few games, I can say that he shows some good traits of an opener: he has good foot work and a solid defense but his shot selection needs to improve especially in the off. I was surprised at his exclusion. Having said that I hope and pray that Hanan proves me wrong.

DOORBIN
January 1, 2003, 07:38 AM
Yes. This is a very important aspect in connection to Bangladesh cricket. Talking from experience. Bangladeshi cricket teams have traditionally performed well in circumstances where the opening pair have done well, or at least, one of the opening batsmen have scored impressively. This gives a great boost to other batsmen of the team and vice versa. Words like INSPIRATION, MOTIVATION etc are very important to Bangladeshi batsmen. There can be no better inspiration or motivation to other batsmen than the real fact that the bowlers of an opponent team are being comfortably faced/ hammered by Bangladeshi openers. YES, I have seen this work. It has worked many many times. It works like magic...

I have read about Ashraful, Shahriyar, Rokon and Hannan and I am sure they are good players. But it would be wise to open with at least one experienced opener, someone who has a bit of a long track record of consistency in performance as an opener. I have seen Javed Omar play when he was very young and at that time he was brilliant, I am not sure about his present form, however, as one member has mentioned Javed would be playing for tests only --- reflects the fact that he is still good to open should be ample justification for considering him. Let's not be too focused about TEST CRICKET and ONE DAY CRICKET as far as Bangladesh is concerned. We are too young a team for the test cricket arena, so let's talk CRICKET and CRICKET only.

The point I am trying to make is if Javed is good enough to open for test cricket, he should be good enough for one day cricket as well. And as a matter of fact I would like to see at least of of the opening batsmen to continue playing upto 15 or 20 overs. That's a SOLID START I guess.... It doesn't have to be Javed, let's try to find an opening pair who will survive the first 15 overs -- or at leat one of the pair to survive that many overs. (Not only survival, scoring is also important in a one day match, so please don't get me wrong!)

That will give the team enough motivation to continue....

I hope my message is clear.

Miran
January 1, 2003, 10:13 AM
Just a few disparate thoughts on the nature of the final WC squad.....

At least this time round we'll have more experience under our belts. The 1999 Bangladesh World Cup squad only had 199 ODI caps between the fifteen players. This time, our lucky fifteen have 266 ODI caps between them.

Despite that, it's a little worrying that we find ourselves only being able to field FOUR players who participated in the last World Cup. The Kenyans, in comparison, are fielding TEN WC99 veterans. We therefore appear to have lost a whole bunch of players who looked really promising three years back. Remember Mehrab, Shahriar Hussein and Shafiuddin? Where are they now? We seem to have an unhealthy habit of unearthing some really talented young cricketers then watching them lose form and drift away.

On a personal note - I feel very sorry for Javed Omar - missing a second World Cup on the trot. He was gutted about missing the 99 tournament. He must be feeling even worse this time round.

On the whole however, I've no major complaints about our selectors (for a change!).

rafiq
January 2, 2003, 12:54 AM
i disagree with the contention that we should have one team for both versions of the game. we have had this discussion on the board a few months back for detailed reference. some points in favor of having some differences on each team (with the same core, of course):

- test and one day cricket require a different scoring pace. javed in particular is great at building an innings slowly. building an innnings is also critical in one day, but not "slowly". for many years, javed was instrumental at building a bangladesh start of 40-50 runs after the first 20 overs, by which time the game was already over (I exaggerate, but you know what i mean)

- different strategies are required obviously

- bowling needs are dramatically different. you have more options when you bowl 50 overs as opposed to 150 (a typical bangaldeshi test bowling scenario). you can pick more allrounders in a one day team than in a test team.

- players may be better suited to one style or the other. unfortunately our selectors keep pushing players in and out of both teams if they fail once or twice, and it is dangerous to bracket a player into a certain style too early.

- if this did not make sense, teams like australia would not have 2 teams (again with the same core) and even 2 captains. while 2 captains would be chaotic for most countries, the needs and tactics of the 2 versions of the game naturally require two types of teams.

DOORBIN
January 2, 2003, 06:30 AM
I agree 100% to what was mentioned by Rafiq, however, my point was misunderstood. I wish I could few pages on this subject, but there are limitations (time, I mean). However, I will try to clarify now :

Bangladesh is a young player in Test Cricket. Let's face it -- how many test matches have we played so far? Since when have we been playing test cricket?
How many 3 day or 4 day matches are being played in Bangladesh at the moment?

I am not being negative. I am just seeing things as they are. After 20 years from today, test cricket will become part and parcel of the Bangladeshi sporting scenario. By that time Bangladesh will already have recorded 10 or 12 wins possibly. I am not dreaming, I am just trying to imagine a realistic part of a story. The story of Bangladesh cricket. Because I have been watching Bangladesh cricket very closely for quite some time. And from a very close angle. Recently, because of distance, I have lost touch -- but only a little bit.

Coming back to the main point -- YES, of course, TEST and ONE-DAY CRICKET are different, very very different and there is absolutely no doubt about that. But as far as Bangladesh is concerned, we should not be too focused with having to produce two seperate teams, one for ONE DAY and one for TEST. What I really mean is we should not be too serious about the differenciation of test cricket and one day cricket in the Bangladesh context, at least for the next few years. Temperament and environment for test cricket will develop slowly and gradually as a result of evolution -- it will be a natural development.

Let our batsmen play their natural game. As far as opening, I guess the priority should be NOT TO LOSE EARLY WICKETS.
Scorig fast or slow --- that would possibly be a secondary matter. If, for example, Javed Omar opens batting and survives for 15 overs and scores a personal 25 runs, that is a lot better than another opening batsman who stays in the field for 2 overs making 7 runs and becomes clean bowled by an opponent bowler. As a supporter, I will accept it if Bangladesh team makes 10 mistakes in a test match, but I will be deeply hurt if I see a good opening batsman in a one day international out with only a few runs on the board. This is a double loss. Firstly, that batsman must have had a lot of potential to have opened Bangladeshi batting. An opening batsman is expected to play at least 6 - 7 overs minimum. Yes there are accidents, but are also 'AVERAGES' -- or TRACK RECORD. Talent is one thing, but there is no substitute for track record.

Batting is one thing, opening the batting is another thing, opening the batting against real fast bowlers is another different thing. And opening for Bangladesh team in a world cup match is supposed to be a completely different thing. It is a highly demanding assignment. It's not only batting. Its batting plus the temperament . And courage. Plus the confidence that enables a batsman to tell himself -- "Not to worry. No worries. I know these situations. I know, because I have gone through these situations in the past. And I know I have done well. Therefore, chances are I will also perform this time ......"

The second loss is if a good opening batsman loses his wicket quickly, the remaining batsmen can develop nervousness and/or lose motivation. This is something we all know, don't we?

Success is not guaranteed, however, the chance of success can be measured with reasonable accuracy.

Pundit
January 2, 2003, 01:14 PM
Ok - this is getting too philosophical for me !!

While other cricket web boards are too critical of other countries' players, we are too critical of our own.

Did someone say that this is why this board exists - to keep on ranting ?? I ask you - too what end ? Javed Omar Belim's form, prospects, abilities are irrelevant now !!

And have you thought of one think -

THE ONLY WAY JAVED OMAR'S TEST CAREER CAN BE RESSURECTED, IS MAYBE BY KEEPING HIM AWAY FROM THE ODI SQUAD !!

Spare us the ignominy of creating another SUNIL MONOHOR GAVASKAR.

I was myself a big puller for Javed Omar - but maybe we are focusing all too much on him, and not what his alternative options give us ??

DOORBIN
January 2, 2003, 05:05 PM
Good feedback by Pundit, thank you for the nice comments.... oh yes, a Gavasker from Bangladesh is a real necessity and this is the right time!

Of course the name Javed Omar is irrelevant at this point of time. Once a squad is selected and announced, it cannot be reversed. However, this is only ALOCHONA, and ALOCHONA BANGLADESHI STYLE.

There was, of course, a need for this Alochona. Just to let the selectors and players know what supporters expect. They need to know today's supporters of Bangladesh cricket team are different. They are knowledgeable, educated, aware and HIGHLY DEMANDING....

They have high expectations....

That's all.

Pundit
January 2, 2003, 05:21 PM
Doorbin - welcome !

So, who's meeting where for wc '03 ?

Will it be at H_fan's, or over at Doorbin's crib ?

DOORBIN
January 3, 2003, 06:32 AM
It will be my pleasure. Haven't met a Pundit face to face for a long time....

I have a rumpus room which is an excellent place for some ADDA and CHAPABAJI.

If circumstances do not permit or if it is more convenient in Brisbane -- that's fine as well. I will join you all for 1 or 2 days.

By the way, this is an excellent website. I really think so. To me, it is like a CHOOMBOK!!!

Arnab
January 3, 2003, 08:30 AM
Have you been lurking for a long time? :)

[Edited on 3-1-2003 by Arnab]

DOORBIN
January 3, 2003, 01:57 PM
That's what it is.

The other reason is, I didn't know such a high quality website was available for Bangladeshi cricket fans....

A good way to have Alochona and also to get involved with PROTHOM BANGLADESH.

James90
January 3, 2003, 09:17 PM
I don't give out where i live on the net

Zobair
January 3, 2003, 10:56 PM
now that we have the team...may be we should start analysing the qualities of each of the players in the team and come up with some forecasting about their performance in the world cup..what do you think?

rafiq
January 4, 2003, 02:41 AM
h-fan: your location of sydney, australia shows up on each post.

James90
January 4, 2003, 06:53 AM
I don't live in Sydney

James90
January 4, 2003, 06:56 AM
I didn't mean like that i mean like suberb, street etc

Sham
January 4, 2003, 11:49 AM
Hey folks, hope you are all well. Sorry for the delayed response. All the Biriyani, you know what I mean.

Our team actually looks pretty good. But I agree with Samircreep, I would have taken Golla ahead of Hannan. I've also seen Hannan a fair bit and hit footwork is pretty pathetic. I would have liked to have a solid player like Golla on the other end with the likes of Rokon and Ash. Anyway, Hannan it is so lets hope he does well.

Actually, from this 15, I would play Seezan at the top of the order with Rokon instead of Hannan. Seezan gives us another seam bowling option as well, and if he can be counted on to bowl 5 or 6 decent overs a match, it will provide some cover to our frontline seamers.

DOORBIN
January 4, 2003, 01:42 PM
Can someone please start right from the beginning?

I mean, from batsman number 1 ...

Probably Rokon ?

James90
January 4, 2003, 07:32 PM
I'm just wondering where you've been in the last year

rafiq
January 5, 2003, 03:24 AM
doorbin please see "about our team" thread for possible lineups.

DOORBIN
January 5, 2003, 05:33 AM
Habibul_fan, answer to your question.

I have been in Australia last year.

Been living in this beautiful country for the last 8 years.