PDA

View Full Version : MEHRAB HOSSAIN OPEE

DOORBIN
January 1, 2003, 08:14 AM
I was a bit surprised to see this name missing from the list. Can someone please tell me why Opee is absent? Is he out of form or what?

fwullah
January 1, 2003, 11:39 AM
Mehrab Hossain has been out of touch for a long time now. Can't give you the exact details now, but I thought that he was good enough to open for Bangladesh until the world cup. But the selectors did not want to keep him, they instead went ahead with Al Shahriar Rokon.

Mehrab has played last test and one day series against Pakistan in January 2002.

One proof that he was out of touch after the last world cup is that his batting average was at one stage around 32/35 and then now his current batting average is 27.

But he will be missed in this world cup no matter what.

rafiq
January 2, 2003, 01:00 AM
didn't mehrab go down to an injusry a season or two ago? since then, he didn't regain his old form it seems. which team does he play in the domestic league and how is he doing? (is there a web site with domestic league stats?).

as for him being in this 2003 world cup team, it was never a real possibility as he hasn't played for Bangladesh in a year and was not in the plans at all. One suspects his career has been cut short by the selectors blind faith in rokon, and hopefully mehrab can make a comeback - he's is still quite young.

Pundit
January 2, 2003, 05:17 PM
Dearest Mehrab has turned out to be quite a cigarette chugging ganjakhor.

His skill might warrant a position in the team, but his work ethics will certainly not enable him to persevere.

What's wrong with BD's openers - seems like too many have paid the price of our selectors' love for "Rokon the Opener."

Nasif
January 3, 2003, 03:30 AM
I used to be opee fan. For the longest time I imagined he is our future "Sayeed Anwar". But thats not to be! If he has pulled himself so low to be a "ganjakhor" (crack pot) now then I can only say thats a shame!

[Edited on 3-1-2003 by nasif]

Tehsin
January 3, 2003, 11:28 AM
Been an Opee fan for almost five years now. He is our only one day centurian and that shows what he can do.

As far as being a Ganjakhor, have heard about his addiction from several sources, unfortunately, I can't comment either way as we all know how gossip spreads around. Whatever he is on, I hope he gets out of it and focus more on his cricket.

He could still be our Saeed Anwar.

DOORBIN
January 3, 2003, 02:10 PM
I support your views 100%.

Opee is a high class batsman.

As one of his enthusiastic fans, I will expect to see him back again - the sooner the better.

James90
January 3, 2003, 09:12 PM
Are you watching he Cricket Show highlights of Steve Waugh's hundred. That was ABSOLUTLY amazing the highlight reel they pulled up still brought the nerves out

Sham
January 4, 2003, 12:00 PM
Waugh's hundred was class! Can't believe they are talking about dropping this guy. The Aussies are f*cking nuts. They dropped Mark, Lehman couldn't do much. Now they want to drop Steve.

Also, I dont want to judge McGill too quickly, since he is coming out of injury and he hasn't got his old form back, but he is no Warne. Some of you have suggested in the past that McGill is as good as Warne. He is a very good leggie, turns the ball a lot, but he just does not have Warne's variety. He doesn't have Warne's control either, but I'll be kind to him and put that down to poor form. Maybe he will add a dimension or two to his bowling, but at this point, he has quite a way to go to be Warne.

DOORBIN
January 4, 2003, 02:03 PM
In response to Habibul_fan and Sham's comments ....

YES. STEVE WAUGH'S CENTURY was a super performance. Absolutely magnificent.....

I am pretty sure he will be clearly visible at least for another one or two years. Athough there was a question or his retirement ASAP.....

To some Australian people, a 35 + man is an old man ... kind of obsolete.

A VERY WRONG ASSUMPTION!!!

I think, for a real man, LIFE STARTS AT 35+

A very personal opinion...

James90
January 4, 2003, 07:41 PM
What's wrong with you. THe Waugh's have been out of form for years and the selectors are still picking them while after how well Rokon did in South Africa they drop him. Lehmann has been scoring 1000's of runs each season and is now the highest ever run scorer in Sheffield Sheild/Pura Cup history. I'm wondering now that Waugh's got 10000 runs and an average of almost 50.00 and 29 hundreds (same as Bradman) now might be a good time to retire and finish on a high note. And you're saying Bulbul's too old. Alec Stewart is 39. I was really disappointed to see Mark Waugh retire he's the mos elegant batsman i've ever seen. Ponting is an absolutaly beautiful batsman and everyone always looks forward to him coming in. Now i'm just babbling.

DOORBIN
January 5, 2003, 05:02 AM
Habubul_fan, in response to your comments about Steve Waugh....

He was out of form for some time, but now he is OK to play for another year or so, I guess...

Scoring a century in a test match is not easy, especially against a country like England. Also remember the amount of pressure he is under.....

I believe he should stay for a while and I also believe he will stay. It is VERY VERY difficult to move away from the limelight unless one really has to.

Imran Khan made an excellent decision to retire while he was on the top, but then?
He came out of retirement....

The glamour, the fame, the money-- all these are too much of a CHOOMBOK ---

Now I have started my CHAPABAJI, for which I am so famous....

fwullah
January 6, 2003, 11:56 AM
I don't know about Steve Waugh, or Darren Lehmann, but Habibul_fan, since you included Bulbul in one of your messeges, so I had to cash in.

But in Bulbul's case, he is old, but his fitness has got nothing to his age - he is still a very good fielder, a very good runner between the wickets - that is, his age as being a fielder has nothing to do with it.

It is just from the school that he has come from at the international level - that school has become old and so to us, he is old. (And I am using the word 'SCHOOL' being not from an educational / sports institution - I mean the same schools that are used in the school of study or school of thought - I am referring to this 'SCHOOL').

To be specific, the same school did not teach Bulbul to be technically correct - all the time, it did not teach him to overcome the mental barriers that come when playing a top test team from playing at the bottom of the test level.

And if the present players like Rokon and Hannan and Seejan do not try to adjust themselves, then by the next world cup after this world cup in the year 2007, players like Rokon, Hannan, Seejan - they won't exist. Because they are not from the same schools as Alok Kapali and also as no-hoper Ashraful.

I can show only one proof of this. Though it may not be a hard evidence, but it is still an evidence none the less.

The proof is these batsman's batting strike rate (CAREER BATTING STRIKE RATE).

Rokon, Golla, Bulbul, Akram - their strike rate is around or just over 50 percent and Ashraful, Kapali's batting strike rate is just over 60 or around it. [At least I hope Ashraful's strike rate is gonna be like 60 - when or if he settles down a bit]

Also, batting average in one day cricket is important.

DOORBIN
January 7, 2003, 02:34 PM
fwullah,

So you mean, Bulbul is fit to play, capable to play, only his run rate is a bit less than the new generation batsmen ?

What would be Bulbul's rank now, as a batsman?

Are we forgetting the value of the words "EXPERIENCE" ? "MATURITY" ? "RELIABILITY" ?

Pundit
January 7, 2003, 03:49 PM
And to you, DOORBIN -

Are we forgetting the value of the word "POTENTIAL ?"

This is the see-saw,

Potential, longetivity (because young), exposure to TEST level cricket vs Experience in sub-level domestic cricket and low retention (old age).

Guess who falls where ??

DOORBIN
January 8, 2003, 03:54 AM
Pundit,

You are really Pundit. You tell me.

You are very thorough in what you see. What is your prescription ?

Mahmood
January 8, 2003, 11:06 AM
Bulbul sure has the experience. Some what maturity ("Cricketers in the past were better than now"!!!!), but he doesn't have reliablity anymore. Thats why he is out.