PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful site

Cricket46
January 8, 2003, 09:22 PM
Hi Everyone!

Finally, there is a site that caters to the people who love Bangladesh cricket. I have been following the discussions here for the last 2-3 months and have updated my knowledge of Bangladesh cricket considerably. Some people are doing a wonderful job. I used to think I was the only stupid soul who would search the Internet for Bangladesh cricket news. Please accept my heartfelt thanks for making my life easier.

The other sites that I have followed for the last 5 years barely mentioned Bangladesh cricket. Now there is a forum from where we can make our voice heard. And don't worry guys for our current state of cricket, most of the other countries did not fare much better in their early days. Besides some of them are not great even now. I could give many statistics, but don't want to waste all of your time.

More later!

Pundit
January 8, 2003, 10:40 PM
Welcome, Cricket46 !

But just out of curiosity, were you born in 1946, or are 46 yrs old ?

If either, we all look forward to your yrs of wisdom and fresh, but hopefully unbiased perspective on the past, versus today .

fwullah
January 8, 2003, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the board Cricket46.

DOORBIN
January 9, 2003, 07:33 AM
Cricket46 remembers those good old days when he hit those 4s and 6s. Therefore his surname is 46, I am quite sure. Oh yes. That's the meaning of his name.......

About hard hitting, I did too, but when trying to hit 6s, I got caught out most of the time. You know, TRYING is important, whether you succeed or fail, that is secondary matter.

Someone told us a story while we are at Class 5 or 6 at school. He said, if you have to hit a 6, better hit it REAL HARD. Like one of the Pakistani batsmen (can't remember the name) who played at Dhaka Stadium. He hit a ball for a 6 and the ball was lost. 2 or 3 days later the ball was found on the roof of Gulistan cinema hall !!

Cricket46, did you hear that story? Please tell us who that batsman was ....

Cricket46
January 9, 2003, 09:16 AM
I guess it was very stupid to take the name cricket46. Yes, I am 46 years old. Apparently, no one in this board is close to my age. I was not too bad a player when I was in school and college, and I did hit some 4s and 6s and scored some goals as well. My academic interests did not allow me to pursue cricket too far. I even played with the students at the university when I was teaching.

But the passion for cricket is still there. I love Bangladesh and I love cricket. However, I live in USA now. Unlike other people of my age, I did not continue to support Pakistan, but rooted for Bangladesh after 1971. Even when our teams used to be routed by the part-timers and fat-bellied MCC teams in the late 1970s, I used to go and watch those games. Now I follow every single match of every single test playing nation. With Internet it is easy to get information soon. Sorry, it is turning out to be my autobiography.

In response to Doorbin's note, I remember Intikhab Alam (legspinning all rounder) of Pakistan used to hit big 6's. Probably some of them reached the hockey stadium and the team was Ceylon, as Sri Lanka used to be called in those days.

To Pundit, how can I be wiser than you when you are the "Pundit". Yes, I have my own opinion but no one has to agree with that. It is very unwise to compare cricketers of different times. When I started understanding cricket it was 1971 so I have barely any memory of watching test matches. I heard my parents took me to some test matches, but I must have slept on their laps the whole time. Only ODI that I witnessed from the ground was in Toronto between India and Pakistan in 1997. That was more like a picnic than a cricket match. However, I used to love to listen to those BBC test match specials and early morning commentaries from Downunder. Later on in Bangladesh, I used to watch many cricket matches on TV as well. But believe me those radio commentaries of 70s and 80s were out of the world. You could dream that you were in Lords or the MCG or the Eden Gardens. Some of your parents might attest to what I am saying.

I forgot to register my thanks to Mr. Tehsin, who I believe was the founder of this incredible site.

Thanks to all for welcoming me.

Mahmood
January 9, 2003, 11:30 AM
Welcome aboard brother. Your inclusion will make the board more alive. Hope to see many posts from you.

DOORBIN
January 9, 2003, 12:44 PM
Cricket46,

The physical ages doesn't matter much.

The mental age is important.

I mean how you feel, how you see things...

As I already said earlier, for a REAL MAN, life begins at 35+

Oh yeah

You bet.

Tehsin
January 11, 2003, 05:20 PM
Welcome to board and thank you for the support. With the world cup coming up, it will be great to hear from more of us. The more the merrier (sp).