PDA

View Full Version : Sound bites

Tehsin
January 12, 2003, 04:14 PM
From Dailystarnews:

Kamal was satisfied with the amount of work done before they left.

"The training sessions went pretty well at the BKSP and Dhaka. The boys have improved a lot since I took over earlier this year. Hopefully, everything will go according to plan in South Africa."

Khaled Mashud told reporters he had almost decided his playing eleven. He rated his teammates mentally and physically much stronger than the 1999 World Cup squad in which he was a member.

=============================
Nothing like improving the whole team all by himself, is there ?

DOORBIN
January 13, 2003, 04:14 PM
But, " all is well that ends well".

Looking forward to 3 wins. That's a bit better result than last world cup.

fwullah
January 14, 2003, 04:07 AM
I agree with your first part of the last reply - alls well that ends well.

But about the 3 wins - I think it will be asking just a little too much.

2 wins will mean more than the last world cup since,

Reason number 1) This side has a lot of younger players playing - who are inexperienced in terms of years being played individually - not to mention they are thought to be future spearheads for Bangladesh.

Reason number 2) We don't have Minhazul Abedin in this line up - who alone had been playing for more than 20 years of both domestic and ICC level cricket - not to mention there were not many future players in our last world cup.

So, 2 wins will be great.

DOORBIN
January 14, 2003, 08:57 AM
fwullah,

I can't argue with you as you have given very good reasons.

However, my point is, if Bangladesh wins against Kenya and Canada, do these wins mean much ? It's winning against weaker opponents as Bangladesh enjoys a higher status in cricket than these 2 countries.

As far as I can remember, Kenya once beat West Indies. Therefore, beating Kenya will mean something, although not something extraordinary.

......OK, I will accept 2 wins, provided that one of Bangladesh's wins is against a better team, such as Sri Lanka, New Zealand or West Indies.

Sri Lankans are in good form at the moment. Even Australia treats them with respect. Realistically, it is quite unlikely that Bangladesh will beat Sri Lanka. However, as their style is very familiar to us, we can put up a good fight. I am really looking forward to Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka match. It is supposed to be a fight between an established fighter and an emerging fighter, both having similar characteristics.

I am not much knowledgeable on New Zealand's present strength, but reading about their recent performance against India, a win against them is also "almost" out of the equation.

That leaves West Indies. A good possibility. Beating WI can be a good target. A member of our forum recently forecasted a win against WI. Difficult, but possible. Our players have recently faced them. We have done quite well. Plus, we know their strengths and weaknesses...
WI is not in great form either.

You know what I mean ?

fwullah, all I really want to see is Bangladesh cricket is CLIMBING, not remaining at the same level. Don't forget, 4 years have passed. That's a significant amount of time.

Minhajul Abedin is not there - true. However, it is assumed we have systems and procedures in place so as to adequately replace outgoing players. ICC has taken that factor into consideration all the time. And as close observers, we expect the same. No matter who is playing and who is not playing, the fact is that Bangladesh team is playing after 4 years. And as a new team, we must be RISING STARS. Always playing with a fighting attitude (the way Sri Lanka has always played ODIs)....

I guess we need to see 'A PATTERN OF SUCCESS' ... got it, that's the right sentence.

handle
January 14, 2003, 10:16 AM
I think win against Kenya matters a lot. Kenya is up 5-1 head to head, and perceived by the entire world as a better cricket team. It is time to show the world who's the boss.

Mahmood
January 14, 2003, 11:04 AM
Kenya also has better ODI ranking than us. Beating Kenya should be good enough for now.

rafiq
January 15, 2003, 12:22 AM
please research the last one year series performance by bangladesh. they have been smashed by everyone, everywhere. to even beat kenya they will have to work very hard and hope that they get lucky, after all their record is 1-5. as for upsetting the big guns, it will be awesome if it happens, but to actually expect it is a bit too optimistic, but you can laugh at me when bangladesh does pull one off....

fwullah
January 15, 2003, 08:10 AM
Doorbin, please try to be a volunteer to give a helping hand to Pilot and the rest of the team.

Tehsin
January 15, 2003, 04:17 PM
When Kenya beat WI, no one expected it. On a given day, any BIG team can fall IF they are not at their best and the weaker team KNOWS (and applies themselves) how to take advantage of the situation.

Kenya's matches Last year showed a DECLINE from their once fighting self. They have gone down as meekly as BANGLADESH in the ODIs. They are not the same team that used to scare the accomplished teams.

Hopefully, the WC won't be any different. As for West Indies B, errr Canada. Most of their players have had some experience in WI and AUS/NZ. However, how much of a difference would it make if we send couple of players like Hasibul Shanto or Bidyut to those countries (Intentionaly left out the bigger names)? Not much. We can lose to them if we play bad and they put out their best performance.

DOORBIN
January 15, 2003, 05:10 PM
fwullah,

I would love to be a volunteer to give a helping hand to Pilot and rest of the team.

Please let me know how I can help.

I guess all of us here (I mean, in this forum) are volunteers in a sense. Am I correct ? Aren't we all seriously thinking and anlaysing our cricket ? Aren't we giving some valuable feedback? Some recommendations ? Some eye openers ? Some inspiration ?

I do think we are an integral "PART" of Bangladesh cricket. Aren't we ?

Please let me know if I am right or wrong.

Cricket46
January 15, 2003, 08:52 PM
I guess some serious Bangladesh-cricket lovers are in this board. No matter where we are, or how non-cricketing our environments are, or how busy we are, or how freezing the weather is, or how old we are, we are taking the time to interact with each other and keep abreast of our cricketing news. I have been following WC Cricket from 1975, and I feel no less excited this time than I was then. InshAllah we will not be disappointed this time. I feel like saying Bangladesh will do well this time, but the fear of being proven wrong is too realistic.

sheshprohor
January 15, 2003, 09:42 PM
I don't believe in miracle (all the time). But though in my super sense I am feeling some sort of excitement of winning in favor of BD. I donno how far they can go....but to my senses..most of it is depending upon the clever strategy of pilot too.

Most of the preceding cases...due to lack of experiences, PIlot took very wrong decisions about batting first, using 4th/5th/6th bowler in the slog overs....etc etc. I hope that he learnt from these.

BD should at least do like as follows:

Openers will collect 45 in 10 overs
num 3,4,5 will collect 75 one of them has to go beyond 40-50 in next 20 overs
num 6,7 will collect 50 in 10 overs
8,9,10 will 45 in 10 overs

The total will be somewaht 215, which is ok against stronger teams.

My superdream is:

Rokon: 45
Hannan :30
Ashraf: 27
Sumon: 45
Alok: 65
Pilot: 28
Sujon: 16
Tapash:15
Monju:15/0
Talha: 5/0
Masri: 10/0

Total: 300/270

Anyway...there is no harm to dream..right?

Prohor

fwullah
January 15, 2003, 11:06 PM
I think a team total of over 200 runs is good enough against Canada if we bat first. And restricting them to under 150 runs would be a good total to chase.

Against SL, WI, NZ and SA, a total of 150 to 180 should be an absolutely minimum target.

Whereas a total of 250 should be a good fighting total against Kenya batting first and restricting them to under 200 (which I think is not possible for our bowlers vs Kenya) would be a good target to chase.

samircreep
January 15, 2003, 11:55 PM
I think individual records are just as important as team records. It would be great to see our batters consistently coming up with 50 plus knocks throughout the tournament and bowlers chipping in with 3/4 wickets a piece.

Individual records do well to earn some plaudits from the media.And we definitely need that to raise the profile of our game internationally.

Thus, aside from the two wins that I want from our team, I would like one of our batters to score a century and one bowler to take 4-5 wickets in one match.The jury's out as to who will actually accomplish that.

Tehsin
January 16, 2003, 02:40 AM
Why do people keep forgetting about this match ? I am sure that some folks over here (Bangladeshis) would be screaming their lungs out and remind us how BAD we are had we lost this match but keep forgetting that THE LAST TIME WE PLAYED Kenya, we won - We won by 34 runs.

We did not have the bowling we have now, however, we did have our two experienced (Akram and Bulbul) players in batting.

FROM CRICINFO:

ICC KnockOut Practice match, 2000/01
Bangladesh v Kenya
Mombasa Sports Club, Mombasa
28 September 2000 (50-over match)

Result: Bangladesh won by 34 runs

Bangladesh innings 246 for 9 (50 overs)
(Akram Khan 56, Aminul Islam 48, Naimur Rahman 24, Khaled Mashud 35; TM Odoyo 3/48)

Kenya innings 212 for 9 (50 overs)
(KO Otieno 9, RD Shah 48, HS Modi 28, AO Suji 32; Enamul Hoque 3-24, Hasibul Hussain 2-44)

I expect the same in our last group match, nothing less.

PS. Please don't moan about how it was a 'practice' match. As far as both the teams (and the fans) were concerened, it was the final of the ICC Knockout trophy.

[Edited on 16-1-2003 by tehsin]

sheshprohor
January 16, 2003, 01:00 PM
Namibia beat Kenya in CWC warm-up

Jan 16,2003
World Cup outsiders Namibia have surprised Kenya, the tenth ranked ODI team in the world in a World Cup warm-up game played in Nairobi.

Batting second and chasing an imposing 272 runs to win Namibia passed the target with just two balls to spare.

The Namibian run chase was dominated by a career best knock of 110 from 21-year-old South African born batsman Jan Burger.

Burgers knock was the foundation around which the rest of the Namibian side batted as his 110 comfortably beat his previous highest international score of just 21.

Burgers knock included 10 boundaries and came to an end just five overs before the end of the innings when he was bowled by Tony Suji.

Kenyan skipper Steve Tikolo was the top scorer for the home side with a knock of 88.

So now what? DO we have to recalculate our visions?

Prohor

Tehsin
January 16, 2003, 10:28 PM
2nd November - Kenya lost to Namibia by 4 wickets
Kenya 271/6 wkts (50 overs) (K. Obuya 35, B. Patel 53, S. Tikolo 88, H. Modi 59, S. Burger 3/37)
Namibia 272/6 wkts (49.4 overs) (J. B. Burger 110, G. Murgartroyd 58, T. Odoyo 2/42, T. Suji 2/72)

3rd November Kenya beat Namibia by 23 runs
Kenya 265/9 wkts (50 overs) (H. Modi 88, B. Patel 20, K. Obuya 26, M. Suji 39 n.o., G. Snyman 2/49, B. Kotze 3/38)
Namibia 242 (47.4 overs) (G. Snyman 85, M. Karg 43, T. Odoyo 3/44,S. Tikolo 2/40)

6th November Match reduced to 43 overs. Abandoned due to rain when Namibia were 127/6 in 34 overs.

8th November - Kenya beat Namibia by 10 wickets
Namibia 96 (38.2 overs) (G. Murgatroyd 23, D. Kotze 17, M. Suji 1/19, T. Odoyo 2/27, T. Suji 3/22, S. Tikolo 1/15, J. Kamande 3/11).
Kenya 97 for no wicket (K. Obuya 38 n.o., R. Shah 50 n.o.)

9th November - Kenya won by 3 wickets
Namibia 200/8 wkts (50 overs) (M. Suji 1/22, T. Odoyo 3/39, C. Obuya 3/36, J. Kamande 1/41)
Kenya 203/7 wkts (46.4 overs) (R. Shah 28, B. Patel 52, S. Tikolo 38, T. Odoyo 25, R. Van Vuuren 1/25, Louw 2/33, B. Kotze 2/36, P. Kotze 2/35)

(from cricinfo kenya site)