PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW OF WORLD CUP?

Cricket46
January 15, 2003, 09:08 PM
Let us try to write whatever we have in memory of any of the previous world cup matches. The idea is not to go to books on cricket for getting these information. Personal touch/opinion would be very interesting.

Let me do the first one. Gavaskar played the entire 60 overs as an opener in the first World Cup and scored an unbeaten 36. I forget the team it was against. In that World Cup the matches were 60 overs a side.

Canada also played in that World Cup as did East Africa. I can't recall on what basis those two teams were chosen. There were no ICC tournaments then. In those days there were only 6 test playng teams - England, Australia, New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan and India.

fwullah
January 15, 2003, 10:57 PM
You mean Sri Lanka didn't play in that world cup?

zakir
January 16, 2003, 01:13 AM
I think Canada played in the second world cup. Sri Lanka and East Africa were probably the two non-test playing teams in the first world cup. I think Kenya and Zimbabwe were part East Africa.

shahid
February 15, 2003, 07:03 AM
SL played in all WC. East Africa consisted of Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania. Canada qualified for 1979 WC by running up the ICC Trophy in 1979 held in England. SL won it.

Zimbabwe won the 1983 ICC Trophy beating SL in the final. SL won test status in 1983 after they beat NZ in the 1983 WC.

The 6 Test-Playing nations + SL and ZIM played in 1983 WC.