PDA

View Full Version : Morning session: Was it a negative Cricket?

Kazi Maruf
January 18, 2005, 01:53 AM
I believe it was a Negative Cricket from us in the morning session. We have scored just 36 runs in 30 over. I can\'t imagine how boring it was to the audience who love Cricket!

I do understand that we should not have rushed for the win but we should have played a normal game to get 2/3 (with more singles) runs an over. If we had around 80 runs in the morning session, the match would have still remained in our hand in ease with a RRR of 3 (3.20) in the final 2 sessions. But now we are already on RRR of 4 (3.98) which makes it almost out of our grip.

It could be easy for us to take 2/3 runs an over in a long session than 6/7 runs in a shorter final session (if there is any such plan). I feel that the management have forced our openers not to play even normal (in other words, to play negatively as Dev felt this match was already Zimbabwe's match).

Anyway, I really did not like the way we played in the whole morning session. Although it is not that bad (if we are only for a draw) but it could be better.

fab
January 18, 2005, 01:55 AM
A big NO! (as proof I give you this: . . . . W 2 | 1 1 1 W .)

Tehsin
January 18, 2005, 02:00 AM
*SIGH*

I guess I will have to start admitting to myself that we are still lagging behind in test cricket. We are still not the definite number 9.

It was very negative cricket but as Fab showed, given our current form it was the right strategy to go with. I would have been happier with a 2.5 to 3 runs/over average.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 7:02 AM GMT, by tehsin.

al
January 18, 2005, 02:03 AM
normal game could have been 250 all out. draw is still a possibility and clinch the series 1-0

Tehsin
January 18, 2005, 02:08 AM
If the run rate gets close to 4.5 r s, we should just am for the draw.

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 02:09 AM
It was the worst cricket I've ever seen.

Another point for foreign BD haters, "BD ruining cricket"

BD deserves to lose this match as punishment for negetive cricket

roaring_tiger
January 18, 2005, 02:26 AM
we made sure..either we draw or we will loose...
so zim fielders can come closer....
poor strategy from dav.................:E:mad::E:mad::E:mad:
he has done it to get a series win! (may not be ultimately)..and save his job...

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 02:39 AM
When Gavasker and Bradman thukae they becomes an example how to play in test match...

When Nafis and Gullu thukae its called 'Negative' cricket.

Right?

And when some 'foreign' commentator says so... its becomes more right.

Right?

Fell sorry for some of you guys....

Tehsin
January 18, 2005, 02:52 AM
I haven't read anyone saying Gavaskar's thukani cricket was a good example of test cricket.

If we payed like this against a better team - I would have been all behind it. Because a draw isn't too bad no matter what some people say. However, we are playing an understrenght Zimbabwe side. We could have done better then 1-1.5 runs per over. Now, we need 203 runs to win in 40 overs. If we had scored 50-70 more runs, think about the possibility. Look at my numbers again, I only want 50-70 more runs - which would have still put us at less then 2 runs an over (negative) but would have increased our chances of a 2-0 win.

rafiq
January 18, 2005, 02:54 AM
it wasn't negative, it was necessary. but i think we left 20-30 runs out there - ie could have stayed in the shell and still taken a few more runs. Those runs, when you subtract from the runs required at tea, could have prompted a different strategy for after tea. Now we will never know.

fab
January 18, 2005, 02:54 AM
The thing is, it seems that our openers can give a good start if they play slowly and block. We do not have an Adam Gilchrist in the team (yet), so it is pointless dreaming about that kinda glory. And don't worry about making the game 'boring', the so called elite teams have done it countless times before..

And also, do you guys really think we could have done it given our 1st innings performance against a so-called weak zimbo bowling?

Tehsin
January 18, 2005, 02:57 AM
One great thing I am going to take out of this match - It gave me hope that we may be able to do this against bigger teams. Thnk about it, if Golla and Nafis can do this in every fifith innings, thing will look up for BD. It was a great practice. Our openers batting the whole day without fail ? How amazing is that little gem ?

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by tehsin
I haven't read anyone saying Gavaskar's thukani cricket was a good example of test cricket.

If we payed like this against a better team - I would have been all behind it. Because a draw isn't too bad no matter what some people say. However, we are playing an understrenght Zimbabwe side. We could have done better then 1-1.5 runs per over. Now, we need 203 runs to win in 40 overs. If we had scored 50-70 more runs, think about the possibility. Look at my numbers again, I only want 50-70 more runs - which would have still put us at less then 2 runs an over (negative) but would have increased our chances of a 2-0 win.
:up: That's what I was asking from BD. 30 more runs yesterday, 30 more runs in todays first session, then we would've been in a much better position with same 3 wickets down.

fab
January 18, 2005, 03:01 AM
Well, the 30 extra runs would have had to come from Nafis as JO was uneasy throughout his innings.

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Fazal
When Gavasker and Bradman thukae they becomes an example how to play in test match...
Gavaskar's day is finished long ago. People like Gavaskar were killing test cricket with their negetive playing.

Bradman wasn't a "thukae khela" batsman. He scored 300 in a single day! Is it your defination of "thukae khela"?

This is 21st century Test Cricket and it tastes better than ODI when not played with sick negetive attitude like BD played today.

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by fab
Well, the 30 extra runs would have had to come from Nafis as JO was uneasy throughout his innings.

Some people would like BD to play 'positive cricket' in test but don't want to replace Gullu beacuse he can graft to the wicket; but what they still fail to realize that they are 'mutually exclusive'

reverse_swing
January 18, 2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Gavaskar's day is finished long ago. People like Gavaskar were killing test cricket with their negetive playing.

Bradman wasn't a "thukae khela" batsman. He scored 300 in a single day! Is it your defination of "thukae khela"?

This is 21st century Test Cricket and it tastes better than ODI when not played with sick negetive attitude like BD played today.

Well said!

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by tehsin
One great thing I am going to take out of this match - It gave me hope that we may be able to do this against bigger teams. Thnk about it, if Golla and Nafis can do this in every fifith innings, thing will look up for BD. It was a great practice. Our openers batting the whole day without fail ? How amazing is that little gem ?
I'm not so convinced. Javed was dropped at 5. Other test teams won't drop such easy chance, and they would definately create much more chances like this. Think about upcoming England tour. Do you really think Harmison/Hogard/Flintoff can't bounce Javed out quickly? Or how long Javed/Nafees can survive with padding up too many balls against them?

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 03:09 AM

Because of Gavasker India can be still proud of their record in Gavasker era.

Please check Bradman's record. He have plenty of innings with very slow run rate.

If want to see one day excitement in test match, you better start following Australia my friend, not Bangladesh in the current state.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 8:15 AM GMT, by Fazal.

Tehsin
January 18, 2005, 03:10 AM
frankly - I am petrified (that too in english conditions). I jut don't want to think about it now. We have a ODI series to play (and hopefuly win). I know ZImbabwe wants it bad enough, do we ?

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:23 AM
Because of Gavasker India canbe still proud of their record in Gavasker era.

I if want to see one day excitement in test, you better start following Australia my friend, not Bangladesh in the current state.
Most of them are Gavaskar's personal record. As for team record, India is doing even better with current team, though there is no Gavaskar (don't compare Dravid with Gavaskar).

Who plays snooze mode test cricket today? Name a team. You won't find any. Current England, India are more aggressive than they ever were. SA has been always agressive since their comeback in international cricket. PAK/SL/NZ doesn't make me sleep either. When WI is playing well, then they're always agressive.

I don't expect BD to maintain RR of 3.0 regularly against tough teams. But I hated the way the played Zimbabwe today. They got a decent start yesterday. Today if they played sensibly from the start, then things would look much better for BD now, even with 3 wickets down. The pitch wasn't worse compared to previous days, the bowlers weren't doing anything special.

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 03:30 AM

I don't expect BD to maintain RR of 3.0 regularly against tough teams. But I hated the way the played Zimbabwe today. They got a decent start yesterday. Today if they played sensibly from the start, then things would look much better for BD now, even with 3 wickets down. The pitch wasn't worse compared to previous days, the bowlers weren't doing anything special.

They scored 211 in 1st inning and couldn't take advantage of 37/4; And at that point the hope of any win vanished. Only 3 team successfully chased 350+ run in the 4th innings.

If they chased for win even from this morning, the game would be over by then, and we would be thiniking about the lost opportunity, i.e. not winning the series.

I know that you don't care about the series. But some of us do care, care very much about winning the series.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 8:34 AM GMT, by Fazal.

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 03:30 AM
Edited on, January 18, 2005, 8:31 AM GMT, by Fazal.
Reason: duplicate

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:33 AM
Why we can't be the fifth? Especially the opposition is not way stronger than us?

According to your logic, toddlers shouldn't try walking, because they have never walked before.

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 03:36 AM
Why we can't be the fifth? Especially the opposition is not way stronger than us?

According to your logic, toddlers shouldn't try walking, because they have never walked before.

But according to you, you want the todler to participate in olimpic when they just started to walk from crawling. You are over estimating BD's batting capability.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 8:37 AM GMT, by Fazal.

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:47 AM
I didn't want them emulate Adam Gilchrist, but are they really not capable of doing what Taibu can do? In this series, he started slowly (but confidently), from that he converted these slow starts into well paced big knocks.

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 03:51 AM
Unfortunately we don't have a Taibu calibar player yet: A combination of Leadership, talent and tempertment in one.
When/if we have one, definitely we can go more positively at that time in this kind of situation. Untill then we have to be happy with whatever we have, I guess that is a draw and a series win.

Again we need to be realistic about our expectation from the team based on their current strength and experience.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 8:54 AM GMT, by Fazal.

roaring_tiger
January 18, 2005, 04:17 AM
.oops:......after all these r we loosing...5 gone

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 04:22 AM
No we are now playing positive cricket:P

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 04:38 AM
Now we are paying the price of playing negetive cricket

Baundule
January 18, 2005, 04:39 AM
I give them 100 out of 100 for this approach.

It has not been long that test cricket from England had/has been the most ugly thing to watch. But now they are number 2 team in world cricket.

This is eaxctly the correct approach.
:fanflag:

Baundule
January 18, 2005, 04:45 AM
We, most of the BD fans are not accustomed yet to test matches...

allrounder
January 18, 2005, 05:04 AM
the morning session definitely saved us from losing this test match.

Baundule
January 18, 2005, 05:14 AM
I didn't want them emulate Adam Gilchrist, but are they really not capable of doing what Taibu can do? In this series, he started slowly (but confidently), from that he converted these slow starts into well paced big knocks.

Man, don't underestimate Taibu. He's better than any of our batsmen.

Zimbabwe's bowling is weak. But we have a weaker batting. We scored 211 in the first innings. And given the history, it's something like commiting suicide trying chasing 374, given when some people are shouting loudly against our test status.

Life is a bit more difficult than we are thinking!

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Baundule
I give them 100 out of 100 for this approach.

It has not been long that test cricket from England had/has been the most ugly thing to watch. But now they are number 2 team in world cricket.

This is eaxctly the correct approach.
:fanflag:
England's negetive cricket was only making them worse. I fail to see how playing negetive cricket back then made them good now. They started playing well when they had more and more agressive players, and started using them correctly. Before that, negetive attitude almost killed their cricket.

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Baundule
Man, don't underestimate Taibu. He's better than any of our batsmen.

Zimbabwe's bowling is weak. But we have a weaker batting. We scored 211 in the first innings. And given the history, it's something like commiting suicide trying chasing 374, given when some people are shouting loudly against our test status.

Life is a bit more difficult than we are thinking!
Those people have got something to shout louder from our negetive attitude today.

If we only made a 2-0 victory by chasing 374, then we could've made them lower their tone.

Why our players always kept in mind that target is 374? It was reduced to 276 yesterday with all wickets in hand. Today it was nothing different than chasing 276. They always thought that we can never win (credit goes to Dav), this is why they haven't won. There was nothing in the pitch, zimbabwean bowling or their capability that made them not win.

Kazi Maruf
January 18, 2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by fab

Some people would like BD to play 'positive cricket' in test but don't want to replace Gullu beacuse he can graft to the wicket; but what they still fail to realize that they are 'mutually exclusive'

Well, I am one who prefers BD to play 'positive cricket' but don't want to replace Javed as an opener right in this moment for our team. This is simply because we don't have a better alternative (please refer our opener/partnership records).

And be sure that we prefer 'positive cricket' that does not mean we must have to be aggressive from the very beginning of the inning when we do not have that quality of man. We simply need opener who can graft to the wicket for a period of time so that we don't loose 4-5 wickets within first 15 over of new ball as we were experiencing in the recent past. So Javed is the best choice in this context and we have seen it to be proved in this current series.

Most people start to complain not for the slow start of BD yesterday but the slow cricket of the whole morning session today. I don't call yesterday's play a 'negative' just for the slow RR but it was a great cricket of that time for us and it earned a great fighting chance for BD. But unfortunately we did not utilize that great chance in hand today that makes it a 'negative cricket'. This is what I was pointing.

Blah
January 18, 2005, 06:03 AM
buddy it's easier said than done. Not only us, all the comms that I heard said the same thing. They rated the chance of BD winning this test not even a possibility except for Atahar who was clearly on dope. Yes we could have tried to win this test, but also at the rist of loosing this test; in that regard the safest approach would be to draw it. We are in a state of development as a cricket team were positive approash negative approach doesnt apply to us. Hell, we just won our first test.

One step at a time, don't try to eat more than your mouth can take. Which was exactly our tactic inthis test; too much of a positive approach and we could very well have lost this test.

Ekhon ghumaite jaan.

Blah

Kazi Maruf
January 18, 2005, 06:20 AM
Match Report fron CricInfo:

:
:
The mission to win a series had finally been accomplished, but the showing in the second Test indicated that Bangladesh yet had some way to go with their mental approach. Chasing 374 ・276 on the final day ・was a real possibility, given they had ten wickets to spare on a pitch suited to batsmen. But the safe path to a draw was tread, which, for a team of this ability, was a disappointing choice.

PoorFan
January 18, 2005, 06:22 AM
Lets just drop this "negative" and "positive" cricket at this stage.
We should be save our a** first from not being able to win as well as draw some test for last 4 years.
And a series win is far from our capability since we play 2 match series mostly
and rest of the test nations are far ahead of us.
Those who are saying we could be blamed by people because played negative and force a draw with weak Zim,
how come take a risk to lose the match with the same weak team? Will those people will praise you because you played
positive but lose the game? I don't think so and they will laugh at us for sure!
So forget it and move on. Every progress has it's way which should be done step by step.
If you jump and skip some step, sooner or later you must have to pay for that, may be in a worst way.
There are lot of thing we learned from this series, also learn how to play 150 overs
and bring an output in favor even though it's a draw. This is important.
Learn first how to make a draw and how to play with a strategy and bring a result in favor.
We have done it as our strategy and that's what is positive cricket to me.

PoorFan
January 18, 2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Kazi Maruf
Match Report fron CricInfo:

:
:
The mission to win a series had finally been accomplished, but the showing in the second Test indicated that Bangladesh yet had some way to go with their mental approach. Chasing 374 ・276 on the final day ・was a real possibility, given they had ten wickets to spare on a pitch suited to batsmen. But the safe path to a draw was tread, which, for a team of this ability, was a disappointing choice.
Do you really believe word by word what this article said?
Well what do you think about the title and the article itself would say if we lose this match to Zim?
More or less I can guess........ They would never praise us for chasing and end up with the lose.
Perhaps couple of words of consolation here and there, but the stats would always say different story.
And no doubt those article would follow that stats forgetting a "positive try" very soon.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 11:34 AM GMT, by PoorFan.

AGC
January 18, 2005, 06:35 AM
I would rather see a draw and a series win rather than lose!

Kana-Baba
January 18, 2005, 06:43 AM
Ok, cool down folks. You are asking too much. I do not think it was a negative approach. Only three teams fo far chased a mammoth total of 350+ in the 4th innings. They BD team management knew that very well, and eventually managed it. So I would call it a success as they could implement their plan successfully. No matter what is the strength of Zimbabwe, we had to bat and get the run on fifth day, which is not easy.

AdLon
January 18, 2005, 06:46 AM
Sorry somebody definitely said that ďMorning session: Was it a negative Cricket?Ē

So what do want man, play positive attacking cricket and lose the game at the end. Guys !! I really donít understand why we have so many immature cricket fans out here !!!

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by PoorFan
Do you really believe word by word what this article said?
Well what do you think about the title and the article itself would say if we lose this match to Zim?
More or less I can guess........ They would never praise us for chasing and end up with the lose.
Perhaps couple of words of consolation here and there, but the stats would always say different story.
And no doubt those article would follow that stats forgetting a "positive try" very soon.
Yes, I completely agree with Cricinfo completely. I know that they wouldn't praise us if we lost the match, but I also know that they would lavishly praise us if we could win this match (despite being agaist zimbabwe, winning by chasing 374 IS an achievement).

No risk, no gain. You can't win without taking some risk of losing.

Rubayed
January 18, 2005, 07:28 AM
Most of u guys r just being cynical and like drawing attention by criticizing others. What a shame! U guys r never happy, not even with a series win. Thats the kind of mentalitly that gets us nowhere. First thing first! Yes! it was possible to go for a chase but they only chose to do so after securing a draw, what was wrong with it? Safety first guys! When they did try to go for runs, u saw how wickets felt,,so they went back to their old strategy for draw again. Its easy criticizing them for playing negative cricket but in history what will look better? Losing the 2nd test by playing very exciting last day cricket to go for the chase or securing our first ever series win by negative approach!? U guys be the judge and stop this stupid arguement!:great:

Rubayed
January 18, 2005, 07:29 AM
They always sound good in papers, " No risk no gain" but in reality u gotta sometimes asses the cirsumstances and do what could safely bring the best possible outcome to u. So stop applying these nonsensical expressions caz they dont apply to yesterday's situation.

Ahmed_B
January 18, 2005, 08:24 AM
You are complaining because BD could not do something (chasing 350+ & winning) that has been done only 5 times before in the 128 year long history of TEST cricket !!!!

*Do you really believe BD has come that far to be able attain such glory already?? :duh:
*Donít you think thatís a bit rude to them??
*You already forgotten the feelings after the 3rd day of the match... even the first session of 4th day... when DEFEAT seemed to be the only possible option?? :duh:
*Do you really believe BD deserves no credit to come back to the match like??

:flag:This is what BD just Did:
sustained almost 5 sessions.. 142 overs in 4th innings..
scored record 285 runs...
losing only 5 wickets... in 5 sessions..
starting with a 132 runs opening partnership...
having one of the openers scoring 100+...

Lets appreciate the good comeback by the team and ensure dominance again at the end of the match!!

If anyone want to call any part of the game as ĎNegativeí or ĎPoorí then say it about BDís first innings in this match... where complacency played key-role and 211 was really the poorest possible thing that could happen on such a good batting track..

Last Note
BDís only hope of winning it depended on the success of the STROKEMAKERS of the team (Bashar/Ashraful/Aftab/Rafiq/Tapash/Mashrafee)... and every other batsmen was naturally supposed to play slow and defensive, keeping the 5th day nature of the pitch in mind! Unfortunately enough, the first 3 of them, Bashar/Ash/Aftab failed miserably + situation wasnít there to bring Rafiq/Masree/Tapash..
Then again... these things happen all the time... the most potentials do fail!

Overall... Good comeback by the Team to finish off the series... after the embarrassing 211 in first innings
:flag: Cheer Up!!:flag:

brikonwall
January 18, 2005, 08:43 AM

When Nafis and Gullu thukae its called 'Negative' cricket.

Right?

And when some 'foreign' commentator says so... its becomes more right.

Right?

Fell sorry for some of you guys....

Dude, you are right on the money...

brikonwall
January 18, 2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by roaring_tiger
we made sure..either we draw or we will loose...
so zim fielders can come closer....
poor strategy from dav.................:E:mad::E:mad::E:mad:
he has done it to get a series win! (may not be ultimately)..and save his job...

Save his job!!!???...HA HA HA HA HA...dude, you rock...this was the best joke I have heard this year so far...
:bravo::bravo::bravo:

brikonwall
January 18, 2005, 08:50 AM
After the 2nd test, I AM PROUDER TO BE A BANGLADESH CRICKET TEAM FAN...

AsifTheManRahman
January 18, 2005, 09:32 AM
I was very disappointed by the approach taken by the team on the last day. We should have gone for the win, and thought about the draw only if a couple of wickets fell quickly in the process.

btw, it's good to be back! :)

rimjumana
January 18, 2005, 09:48 AM
To be honest, I hoped that BD could have won this match !

but just after the match as I was thinking again and again the whole situation of BD cricket and BD mentality, I have to mention following positive sides:

1. as mentioned by somene else in the other thread, it is really amusing to see how much our team has improved by there approach to execute the strategy set by dave.
2. I am pretty much sure that this disciplined effort - regardless who is our opponent - will help the team to get good results in the next matches and in the future.

tschuss !

Ahmed_B
January 18, 2005, 10:52 AM
Just one thing.... BD did try to accelerate and get a win in the mid of the day.. but they lost Nafees/Bashar/Ash.. and then Aftab a bit later...

It was not all DEFENSIVE.. as it might look now..
rather after the loss of 5 wickets in very short period.. they had to reserve themselves again.. to prevent the worst..

so lets put down the disheartedness towards them... coz I think they did try. :)

Cheers!

allrounder
January 18, 2005, 11:03 AM
The plan was not negative at all, but the perfect plan to win this test, unfortunately those 2 wkts(bashar, ash) and the fall of Nafis right after tea tamed the tigers before roaring.

If anyone wants to point out something negative during the second test, I would say it was not trying all possible options to stop Taibu scoring so many runs.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 4:07 PM GMT, by allrounder.

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
*Do you really believe BD has come that far to be able attain such glory already?? :duh:
*Donít you think thatís a bit rude to them??
*You already forgotten the feelings after the 3rd day of the match... even the first session of 4th day... when DEFEAT seemed to be the only possible option?? :duh:
*Do you really believe BD deserves no credit to come back to the match like??
#1) Yes, at least for this match and series. This was a series of breaking records for us
#2) No, there's very few things that are not excuseable in game, negetive attitude is one of them
#3) Only defeatists who support this negetive attitude beleived that match was 99% out of our hand. And at the end of the 4th day, there was no reason to think that we don't have at least 50:50 chance
#4) No, they self destroyed the chance of a glorious comeback and infinate times better result.

While watching BD's batting today, I had the same feeling of watching them 4 down for 30 within 12 overs (which they did very regularly until this series). That feeling makes me promise to myself that I won't watch them playing again. (But afterall I'm a BD fan, so I forget that and watch our matches with new spirit)

Fazal
January 18, 2005, 02:06 PM
question to Spitfire_x86:

When do you sleep?

Is there two Spitfire_x86, one in Bangladesh and one in Europe/N America/S America collaborating together.

Just wondering.... Now go to bed :P

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:14 PM
question to Spitfire_x86:

When do you sleep?

Is there two Spitfire_x86, one in Bangladesh and one in Europe/N America/S America collaborating together.

Just wondering.... Now go to bed :P
Usually around 12:00 am, but i'm kinda out of routine since my eid vacation has started (from yesterday) :)

I've read today's prothom-alo, and I'm going to bed now. What I've read has only made me more angry.

Edited on, January 18, 2005, 8:17 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.