PDA

View Full Version : BD Openers

Mahir
January 18, 2005, 02:36 PM
Which of these opening bastmen is (was) the most natural strokeplayer ?

AsifTheManRahman
January 18, 2005, 02:37 PM
nafis iqbal

AsifTheManRahman
January 18, 2005, 02:38 PM
however, honestly i think ashraful is the most natural stroke player in the country

Mahir
January 18, 2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
however, honestly i think ashraful is the most natural stroke player in the country

agree... :D but dude, the poll's restricted to the genuine openers only!

shovon13
January 18, 2005, 02:40 PM
mehrab hossein.

but i agree with ATMR on the ash bit. alok, rokon, and tushar are probably closest to ash regarding stroke playing ability.

Mahir
January 18, 2005, 02:54 PM
I was too young when Athar Ali played his best cricket. So I haven't really seen his game... nevertheless, he was included in the poll because he once stood as the most prolific opener in Bangladesh.

Hannan played some very good innings against Australia and South Africa, especially considering the caliber of bowlers he faced. Although his bit of act in West Indies is quite inexplicable.

Javed Omar, as we all know, is outright defensive. Even his run-making strokes at times seem awkward.

I personally think it's either Mehrab or Shahriar or Nafis. I think you all will agree with me that Mehrab and Shahriar combined to give us the best opening pair BD have had to date. And about Nafis... just a crowd-pleasing batsman!

Anyways, I am more eager to see your responses on this poll, and how you justify your choices.

Go BanglaTigers! :fanflag:

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2005, 03:08 PM
Mehrab Hossain, Nafees is close 2nd.

CTazim
January 18, 2005, 03:53 PM
Below are ODI and Test stats for all these players. Athar Ali never played tests and his ODIs where limited to playing India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Kenya in ODI. Also his ICC trophy average was 17.
Nevertheless, he was a stylish batsman and who knows how he would weather if he were to debut after we obtained our test status. :)

ODI

# of Games Total Runs HS 100s 50s AVG SR
Hannan Sarkar
20 383 61 0 3 19.15 53.71
Mehrab Hossain
18 449 101 1 2 24.94 58.84
Javed Omar
35 726 85 0 6 22.68 50.27
Shahriar Hossain
20 362 95 0 2 19.05 53.07
Nafis Iqba
9 123 40 0 0 13.66 41.97
Athar Ali Khan
19 532 82 0 3 29.55 56.29

Test
# of Games Total Runs HS AVG SR 100s 50s
Hannan Sarkar
17 662 76 20.66 46.65 0 5
Mehrab Hossain
9 241 71 13.38 32.65 0 1
Javed Omar
27 1155 119 21.79 33.19 1 5
Shahriar Hossain
3 99 48 19.8 41.59 0 0
Nafis Iqbal
6 382 121 31.83 39.17 1 2
Athar Ali Khan
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Mr-khan
January 18, 2005, 05:28 PM
All time hit- Shahriar hossain.:up:

rafiq
January 18, 2005, 05:55 PM
I've seen all of these batsmen play in person or on TV, and Mehrab was proably the most natural stroke-player. But that doesn't make him the best opener, which may need to be a separate poll. Atahar had all the assets of an opener, including patience.

What Nafis showed in this series is very encouraging but it's too early for me to put him in the lead - let him earn it.

You have forgotten a few other openers of note. One in particular was very good but had a very brief Bangladesh career in the pre-test days - Nazim Shirazi.

Mahir
January 18, 2005, 06:04 PM
this poll is indeed not on "who's the best opener"... the survey is to see which of these mentioned openers are really recognized by BD-fans in terms of their strokeplaying ability... their averages in any form of cricket is regardless. For example, Shahriar doesnt own spectacular averages, but his performance in that Meril Triangular Series (in 1998, between BD-ZIM-KEN), against the touring MCC team (where he smacked centuries in both innings of the 3-day match) and against Pakistan (in WC 99) are well indicators of his talent.

Nevertheless, the discussion must continue... :)

sham1980
January 18, 2005, 06:08 PM
Did not see Athar, Hannan, shahriar and Javed not worth talking about. si between Mehrab and Nafis I gotta say Nafis is brilliant on the off side has array of strokes and that is not just because of todays 121.

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 10:52 AM
Athar was too defensive, but a good stroke player nevertheless. Shahriar and Mehrab were more aggressive, with Mehrab being my favourite between the two. Javed is probably the worst stroke player among all the names mentioned. Nafis is very good. However, Ash seems to be capable of better stroke play than anyone else in Bangladesh right now.

mahbubH
January 19, 2005, 11:02 AM
Raqibul Hassan : I did not see him a lot but at the end of his career. He was technically very sound and IMO he would be better opener than Atahar in test cricket. Atahar is very good for ODI as his medium pace bowling was very effective.

bourny3
January 20, 2005, 06:38 AM
Hannan Sarkar. I saw him when he was in Australia. He was batting superbly.

Mridul
January 20, 2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

agree... :D but dude, the poll's restricted to the genuine openers only!

Ashraful is actually a Genuine Opener....but situations forced Ashraful to move from his REAL position

Darkwarrior
January 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
Mehrab hussain is a great timer and a stroke player

Mr-khan
January 20, 2005, 04:46 PM
Shahriar hossain ar vote ato kom keno..:( He is the best:up:

shaoun
January 20, 2005, 08:34 PM
i would say atahar because look at his average. he has the highest ave of any bd batsman. mehrab was really good i really think nafees is also good. but nafees needs to prove himself more. one century and playing for bd team for few month cannot make him the best opener. but he is getting there. to be a great player you need to prove your consistancy over and over. something atahar did something great players like akram aminul islam habibur bashar did or doing. rafique and khaled mashud. also i think khaled mahmud and even masrafee. masrafee gets wicket or two something even more whenever he plays. so his consistancy makes him a great bowler. one person i will leave out is ashraful. doesnt matter how good of a talented player he is he is not a great player yet. until he can show his consistancy he can never be a great player.

cracky
January 20, 2005, 08:40 PM
I knew Mehraab going to get the most votes :D
Bring him back.

sutru
January 20, 2005, 11:56 PM
mehraab hossain opi good player as opener

and also 1st one day century for bangladesh

bdmoderator
January 21, 2005, 07:03 AM
I think it's Athar Ali Khan.

Mahmood
January 21, 2005, 08:24 AM
No Doubt, it was Mehrab Hossain Opee, too bad... ganja ar feicidil shob shesh kore dilo :(

Mr-khan
January 21, 2005, 08:43 AM
Nafis iqbal and mehrab hossain beshi vote pacche century ar jonno.Tobe oder 2 joner moddhe Medrab best.Shahriar holo natural strokeplayer. Jara Shahriar ar khela reguler dekto tara bolte parbe.So Shahriar is BEST.:mad:

akabir77
January 21, 2005, 09:11 AM
A genuine opener should play only in V and have straight bat.... And to me Ather was the best fowler of that... He got selected for asia XI before BD was playing ODI's and next to him i think OPI was best when he was in good form and then bidut... Nafis still in learning so he shouldn't be in this list and golla is golla he knows his limitations..... I never saw hanan playing so can't comment

itswaps
January 21, 2005, 09:51 AM
Shahriar hossain ,, his overall sr is better then Medrab

akabir77
January 21, 2005, 10:14 AM
SR doesn't count its the AVG that makes the difference

itswaps
January 21, 2005, 10:36 AM
every natural strokeplayer got a good sr ,, both in odi & test

akabir77
January 21, 2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah but when you r looking for a good batsman u look for the avg not the SR unless u r looking for a AFridi and also if u r looking for a good bowler u look for economy and SR not the AVG

itswaps
January 21, 2005, 11:06 AM
agree,,,,,but we r looking for the ,, bd "opening bastmen is (was) the most natural strokeplayer" ,,, not the "best bd opening bastmen" ,,, although I think Shahriar is better bastmen then Medrab ,,,

sadi
January 21, 2005, 11:22 AM
Mehrab is fun to watch....its sad that he lost his touch so early....shahriar is also good.....but right now nafis is the best opener we got....

Mahir
January 21, 2005, 02:17 PM
unfortunate to not have shahriar in the squad anymore... yes he was out of form for an extended period of time, but his domestic game has always been prolific. He performed well for Bangladesh A in the tournament in Pakistan last year.

I feel he can still be considered for a place in the national squad.

Mr-khan
January 21, 2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
unfortunate to not have shahriar in the squad anymore... yes he was out of form for an extended period of time, but his domestic game has always been prolific. He performed well for Bangladesh A in the tournament in Pakistan last year.

I feel he can still be considered for a place in the national squad.
He was not out of form.Selector did not select him in Nz tour because he did not join high peformence camp.They can select many Ram,Sam,Jodu,Modu but not Shahriar hossain.So still now we dont have any good opener.

Mahir
January 22, 2005, 05:11 PM
So I guess, to pick the opener who's recognized as the most natural strokeplayer that BD has ever had, it seems that Javed and Hannan are out of contention. The decision hangs between Mehrab, Athar and Nafis.

But I must say that it's really disappointing to see that many of us have forgotten or ignored Shahriar Hossain. His innings against Pakistan in WC 99 alone is the biggest proof of that. Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar, Wasim Akram and Azhar Mehmood were really struck hard!