PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh : The World Cup Champs

Mahir
January 18, 2005, 09:37 PM
"Bangladesh are the Champions of World Cup Cricket 2007"

hahaha... okay guys, this thread is not the emotional product of BD's very satisfactory result in recent cricket, but I believe this was indeed the target set by many cricket pundits of Bangladesh after the World Cup 1999 campaign.

Is Bangladesh progressing accordingly to achieve that golden goal ? Or should I rather ask, Is that a realistic target ?

:fanflag:

Zobair
January 18, 2005, 09:48 PM
no I don't think so. Not on the strength of current evidence. Our ODI outfit is far from the consistency that is required at the highest level. The class and the quality is not quite up there with the best. And there is barely 2 years left. I would be happy with a competitive performance. Let us see!

akabir77
January 18, 2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah in 3000+ year

aosaif
January 18, 2005, 10:26 PM
it will take at least 50 years for us to win the world cup

Mridul
January 18, 2005, 10:57 PM
we may not win the world cup but we will be able to show good performances....

Samin
January 18, 2005, 11:02 PM
I think you guys are a little pessimistic to say that Bangladesh has *no* chance. Just look at Sri Lanka, they beat the mighty Aussies in '96...

These little baby steps we are now taking, like winning a Test series, beating strong sides like India and Pakistan, will snowball into future success, just you wait and see...

cricketfan
January 18, 2005, 11:44 PM
To win the world cup, BD will have to win 7 or 8 matches in one tournament. They will have to beat not only the likes of India, Pakistan, England, West Indies etc. but also Australia which even the other major teams find nearly impossible to achieve.

What is more, teams like South Africa, England and New Zealand, who are much better equipped to win world cup, have never managed to win it. BD have so far won only three ODI matches against test status sides in 5 years. So, BD winning world cup in 2007 is a pipe dream.

fab
January 19, 2005, 12:45 AM
World Cup Champs? No. World Cup Chumps? Most likely.

cricket_pagol
January 19, 2005, 01:31 AM
kenya performed really well in the last world cup... I would be happy if Bangladesh pull off something like that in 2007!

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 10:13 AM
currently, we are far from putting up a nice show in a world cup competition. trust me, it will take a long long time

rimjumana
January 19, 2005, 10:29 AM
we need to do our homework first.
if BCB can implement a good domestic cricket structure with well trained domestic coaches and team management without being influenced by political influeneces, inshallah in ten years time we should be able to compete with the other big guns regularly and only after that the world champ tiltel should be a disscussion matter.

tschuss

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 10:37 AM
see...the key words are "domestic cricket"...thats what we fans have been shouting about over and over again. unfortunately, the nut heads at bcb don't appreciate the value of a solid domestic infrastructure.

Darkwarrior
January 19, 2005, 02:01 PM
It is too early to talk about bangladeh winning the world cup.
They still have a huge ladder to climb .

brikonwall
January 19, 2005, 02:13 PM
I think, Australia is the only team at this moment who can say "we will be the world champ"....there is no other team...

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 02:14 PM
and in fact they will

ZaKi
January 19, 2005, 02:58 PM
what about England ? last year they played like champion.... So, next Ashes series will be a attractive series...

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 03:00 PM
australia will still win, and that too probably with a whitewash

Edited on, January 19, 2005, 8:00 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

howzatt!
January 19, 2005, 03:08 PM
i'll be satisfied if they can pull off two wins and if they can make it to super 6, that will be like winning the tournament to me.

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 04:06 PM
there will be 5 associates playing in the tournament next year (source ICC web site). are you sure two wins will be enough? i bet the teams will be grouped into three. anyone knows the format?

bourny3
January 20, 2005, 06:44 AM
I think 2011 or 2015 is a realistic target.

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2005, 10:44 AM
but they have to get over the complacency first

jeesh
January 20, 2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by bourny3
You gotta be kidding me!

Shubho
January 20, 2005, 03:56 PM

Fazal
January 20, 2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by bourny3

For what, stripping the test status?

allrounder
January 20, 2005, 04:11 PM
The day our domestic cricket matches become more fun and exciting than our ICC fixed matches, probably then. I think Enamul Jr, Ashraful, Mashrafee will be retired by then.

bourny3
January 21, 2005, 07:43 PM
Im not kidding. Look what Sri Lanka did. They came out of no where to win the 1996 world cup. What were they doing before this world cup i hadnt heard of many wins for them.

desi_pride
January 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
Bourny is absolutely right you never know what a team can do when they want it .
:tiger:

AGC
January 21, 2005, 08:32 PM
If a non test status team like Kenya can reach the semis, Bangladesh has every chance to do well in 2007.

Haradhon
January 21, 2005, 11:21 PM
BD to be the champ in 2007 is too much to ask for. To be realistic it will take the next generation of players, the likes of Nafis, Ash. Enamul, and Rajin to mature. I can see some of the current U-19s like Dhiman, Shamsur, Nadif, Asim etc. in the 2011 team, and of course, Bashar, Pilot or Rafiq may have to retire.

cricketfan
January 22, 2005, 01:17 AM
Sri Lanka had 50 ODI wins under their belt before they came into the World cup of 1996. They were already a force to reckon with in ODI cricket.

Just before that world cup, they had begun to build the core for a formidable ODI team. Players like Aravinda Desilva, Ranatunga and Gurusingha were at the peak of their prowesses. Jayasuriya caught the opponents by surprise in this tournament. Their bowling attack was well equipped for the sub continental pitches.In brief, Sri Lanka possessed the arsenal to succeed in that world cup. The win against Australia in the final chasing under light was one of the great chases in ODI cricket which they achieved by defying history. Prior to that, only the side batting first had won the world cup final.

amra_korbo_joy
January 22, 2005, 02:36 AM
Our aim should be test not ODI. If we improve on test, ODI will be a piece of cake, including World Cup.

Edited on, January 22, 2005, 5:31 PM GMT, by amra_korbo_joy.

sham1980
January 22, 2005, 03:47 PM
Few wins that will make me happy. I wonder what squad we will take Do you think Rafique/Mahmud/Bashar and Masud will be there ?

tutul
January 22, 2005, 06:11 PM
Bangladesh : The World Cup Champs 2007!!! ki valki lagaina chinta vabna!!!

mama vaignara pucha, "kowto vaigna bangladesh worldcup football khalla worldcup football ar ki dosa hoibo?" vaigna koi, "ki aar hoibo? jara ohon worldcup khala, tara world er baira chand-a giya mooncup khelbo."

ta vaijaan apnago Jadob Ghos ar gonit mona acha? jakhana eakta bandor tel makha bas a 5 foot baya upora uthla, 10 foot picchlaya nicha pora?

Jadob babu'r formula diya aibar hisab koira bair koran dekhi bangladesh koba worlcup jibo? :info:

ononto
January 22, 2005, 06:28 PM
Bangladesh will win their first cricket world cup in May 3002 A.D.

Mohammad
January 23, 2005, 11:02 AM
lol

Mahir
February 3, 2005, 07:36 PM
i am just curious if any of those who laughed the subject of this topic away, has changed their mind for a slightly more positive and thoughtful comment ?

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 12:53 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

BangladeshFan
February 3, 2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by cricketfan
Sri Lanka had 50 ODI wins under their belt before they came into the World cup of 1996. They were already a force to reckon with in ODI cricket.

Just before that world cup, they had begun to build the core for a formidable ODI team. Players like Aravinda Desilva, Ranatunga and Gurusingha were at the peak of their prowesses. Jayasuriya caught the opponents by surprise in this tournament. Their bowling attack was well equipped for the sub continental pitches.In brief, Sri Lanka possessed the arsenal to succeed in that world cup. The win against Australia in the final chasing under light was one of the great chases in ODI cricket which they achieved by defying history. Prior to that, only the side batting first had won the world cup final.

cricketfan is absoultely right. i remember, sl also won a tournament in sharjah before going on to win the WC. their part time spinners come into play in these pitches, also their batsmen thrive in these conditions.

winning WC in football is way more difficult. coutries like spain, holland has never won it. even getting a berth in WC from the asia zone, is almost a miracle for bangladesh.

tutul
February 3, 2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
i am just curious if any of those who laughed the subject of this topic away, has changed their mind for a slightly more positive and thoughtful comment ?

Edited on, February 4, 2005, 12:53 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

Sorry bother, no offence. The fact we need to understand that, once in while playing well one or two matches (maybe whole series against Zimbabwe) do not determine the level of Bangladeshi cricket team. We are sill way behind of other stronger sides. Till now we donít even have a ground just for cricket itself, there are not enough domestic cricket, no aged-based tournament, we need to put up lot of things together, long way to go. At this point I donít think dreaming for world cup 2007 would be very realistic! Perhaps, Bangladesh play positive cricket (not positive talk to the press) by then. Anyway, we all love cricket, and love our team. Lets hope for the day when the bubble of our dream wonít bust.

Mahir
February 3, 2005, 08:58 PM
[i]Originally posted by tutul[i]
Sorry bother, no offence. The fact we need to understand that, once in while playing well one or two matches (maybe whole series against Zimbabwe) do not determine the level of Bangladeshi cricket team. We are sill way behind of other stronger sides. Till now we donít even have a ground just for cricket itself, there are not enough domestic cricket, no aged-based tournament, we need to put up lot of things together, long way to go. At this point I donít think dreaming for world cup 2007 would be very realistic! Perhaps, Bangladesh play positive cricket (not positive talk to the press) by then. Anyway, we all love cricket, and love our team. Lets hope for the day when the bubble of our dream wonít bust.

well said. All i was trying to do is get constructive comments like yours, and not by the likes of, "...3002 A.D." etc. And if you look at the subject of this thread, the whole purpose of this topic will be clear. It was merely commented by some cricket minds in BD a few years bak that BD might as well be contending for WC 2007 or 2011.

fab
February 3, 2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
i am just curious if any of those who laughed the subject of this topic away, has changed their mind for a slightly more positive and thoughtful comment?
Keeping in line with the BBC's generalisation of us being a bunch of miserable and sadistic gits, I'm sticking to my original prediction - we'll be the 2007 WC Chumps.

tutul
February 3, 2005, 09:17 PM
All i was trying to do is get constructive comments like yours, and not by the likes of, "...3002 A.D." etc. [/quote]

Iím sure he/she said that just for the sake of fun. Matter of fact I was the one who had given him the math to count the possible year. Please donít take it too serious. We didnít mean to hurt your feelings.

Arnab
February 3, 2005, 09:19 PM
If BD truly wins the world cup someday, I want them to win it like Australia in 2003, not like Pakistan in 1991.

tutul
February 3, 2005, 09:23 PM
Keeping in line with the BBC's generalisation of us being a bunch of miserable and sadistic gits, I'm sticking to my original prediction - we'll be the 2007 WC Chumps. [/quote]

Maybe Iím not as optimistic as you but sure I like your attitude.

fab
February 3, 2005, 09:29 PM
haha I don't think you read the last word properly.. I said ChUmps not ChAmps :)