PDA

View Full Version : GP pacer hunt reaches final stage

reverse_swing
January 19, 2005, 03:04 PM
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

The GrameenPhone pacer hunt programme powered by Bangladesh Cricket Board has reached the final phase and it will take place at the Bangabandhu National Satdium on January 26. The 25 finalists are requested to report at the BNS on January 25.
The finalists are
Name Top Speed/mph
Imran Hossain (Noyon) 82
Zahidul Islam Khan 81
Washkurney Ahmed Polash 80
Saumen Mozamder 80
Khan Md Ali Siddiqui 79
Mahbubul Alam Robin 79
Shahid Hasan 79
Rezaul Hossain 79
Tanvir Islam Shaon 79
Babul Miah 79
Alamgir Hossain 79
Salauddin Ahmed 79
Mostafa Ali Hasan Mim 79
Md Azim 78
Md Al Amin 78
Abed Ali 78
Md Mamun 78
Sk Robiul Islam 78
Nazim Ahmed 78
Jahidul Islam Munna 78
Rafiqul Islam Ripon 78
Abdur Rahim 78
Shuvashish Roy 78
Emdadul Kabir 78
Tanjarul Alam 78

-NewageBD

pagol-chagol
January 19, 2005, 03:06 PM
What 7 cities did they hunt in?

Dhaka
Chittagong
Khulna
Rajshahi
?
?
?

Kana-Baba
January 19, 2005, 03:07 PM
wow! Even the lowest one in the list has 78 mph!

pagol-chagol
January 19, 2005, 03:14 PM
Didn't Coach McInnis say we should add 10 miles to each for speed gun error. So its between 88 and 92 miles (141 to 148 KM).

The entire group is as fast as Masree even without the training.

reverse_swing
January 19, 2005, 03:22 PM
I'm afraid most of them are chuckers!

Edited on, January 19, 2005, 8:25 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

shujan
January 19, 2005, 03:33 PM
It is a fat group of people. Good job finding 25 guys who can throw above 78 mph. :)

Mr-khan
January 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
I'm afraid most of them are chuckers!

Edited on, January 19, 2005, 8:25 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
lol..well said.

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2005, 03:40 PM
thats it? thats all we got? a bunch of chuckers managing only around 80 mph? no genuine 90 mph quickies? :(

Mr-khan
January 19, 2005, 03:43 PM
Ar mane Grameen phone ar 15 lakh taka jole gelo.

allrounder
January 19, 2005, 03:47 PM
these are young chaps and most probably do not play cricket at any serious level of cricket or went to any proper bowling camps. So cannot expect everything from them. They probably do not even have enough gosto in their body too.

pagol-chagol
January 19, 2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by mr-khan

No.

This ad made them a lot more than 15 lakh. It was a public relations bonanza. The recent success of the cricket team made this ad an ebay bargain.

Can someone say what the other 3 cities were?

Nasif
January 19, 2005, 04:57 PM

That would be very bad way to put it. This hunt program has been excellent. Atleast it created some sort of enthusiasm for pace bowling.

Also, we don't know if they are chucking or not. It would be unfair to judge them this way. They are just amatures who have raw speed. If we can nurture them, who knows we might find couple more masris in our team.

Congrats to Grameen Phone for sponsoring such an effort.

BD Tigers
January 19, 2005, 05:06 PM
people here are so bad to jump to conclusions. Who said that they are chuckers? U guys are asking for bowlers with 90+ miles. How many countries have bowlers with over 90+. Only 3. Pak (Shoaib) and Aus (lee) and may be Eng (Harmisson). So if Bangldesh can produce at least ONE..that shud be good enough for 15 lakh. Got it?

Ehsan
January 19, 2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
thats it? thats all we got? a bunch of chuckers managing only around 80 mph? no genuine 90 mph quickies? :(

The quickest is Imran Hossain (Noyon) 82 Mph, but remember McInnes said that their speed gun has some errors, so you add 10 extra miles to correct it. So their reading of 82 mph would actually be 92 mph. I don't know what's up with that chucking thing, did it appear in any news? Even if they are chuckers, with some training they will get better.

Ehsan
January 19, 2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by BD Tigers
people here are so bad to jump to conclusions. Who said that they are chuckers? U guys are asking for bowlers with 90+ miles. How many countries have bowlers with over 90+. Only 3. Pak (Shoaib) and Aus (lee) and may be Eng (Harmisson). So if Bangldesh can produce at least ONE..that shud be good enough for 15 lakh. Got it?

Spot on! But we do have a 90+ bowler coming up fortunately :), Imran Hossain (Noyon) 92 Mph (after correcting the reading of BCB's speed gun).

Mr-khan
January 19, 2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ehsan
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

The quickest is Imran Hossain (Noyon) 82 Mph, but remember McInnes said that their speed gun has some errors, so you add 10 extra miles to correct it.
But speed gun error menas 10 miles extra or 2-3 miles extra?

Ehsan
January 19, 2005, 05:16 PM
But speed gun error menas 10 miles extra or 2-3 miles extra?

Its a 10 miles difference compared to TV's speed gun as McInnes said. So, watch out: our fastest bowler is yet to emerge! :D

Edited on, January 19, 2005, 10:18 PM GMT, by ehsan.

DotBall
January 19, 2005, 06:14 PM
Promising !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If 2 or 3 can get upto 85 miles with swing/seam movement in a year or 2 they will be good asset for BD cricket. I rather take good line & length with 85 miles than a 90+ with erratic bowling.

sadi
January 19, 2005, 06:20 PM
well i m personally very optimistic abt this whole thing...i believe if we can get atleast 3 good bowlers out of them its a big advantage....remind u.... these bowlers are very young and only gona get stronger...plus its just the beginning....hopefully next year another program will give us couple more quickies.....good job gp

rafiq
January 19, 2005, 07:04 PM
I remember studying Physics in school. Can someone explain this 10 mph discrepancy in more detail? We have 25 guys who can bowl att 88mph+ I find that a bit too hard to believe. Can these guys who picked the bowlers also pick a few stocks for me to invest in ?

shovon13
January 19, 2005, 07:08 PM
its just that the speed gun bcb used gives the speed thats about 8-10 mph off the ones used by network televisions. so noyon's speed should be up in the 90 mph mark.

this is definitely a good outcome. if we can find 2-3 national team caliber quickies....then this pacer hunt would be a success. it sure looks likely.

say
January 19, 2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
I remember studying Physics in school. Can someone explain this 10 mph discrepancy in more detail? We have 25 guys who can bowl att 88mph+ I find that a bit too hard to believe. Can these guys who picked the bowlers also pick a few stocks for me to invest in ?

there is a post from observer which says there is a 10 miles discrepancy. He did not explain why.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=8092&page=2

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 12:18 AM GMT, by say.

shujan
January 19, 2005, 07:19 PM
I do not think speed gun calibration is 10 mph off. That means Bangladesh has 25 player who can throw 88 mph and above. naaaaaa

Blah
January 19, 2005, 07:46 PM
Which idiot came up with the conclusion that they are chuckers?

sham1980
January 19, 2005, 07:51 PM
Great stuff hope we can find at least couple real fasties.... Talking of fasties am I right in saying in terms of raw speed Shahdat the fastest followed by Mashrafe, Talha and Shafaq? any one else in the picture

Tehsin
January 19, 2005, 08:02 PM
The 88-92 mph is Way too optimistic.
Whoever called the boys chuckers should be ashemed of themselves. We do not know that they are chuckers and there hasn't been any reports either.

This was just a prelim search, this was just a beginning, they will be taken under the BCB wing and they will be trained and groomed. We will probably only see 5-10 of them making any impact in the club level and even fewer will play for Bangladesh - eventually. :)

arafath79
January 19, 2005, 08:46 PM
If their real speeds are around 90-92 mph then they r faster than Mashrafe.

shovon13
January 19, 2005, 08:58 PM
masri isn't a great bowler because of his speed actually. its his accuracy (more accurate than a lot of international strike bowlers), aggressive mental attitude (so essential for a fast bowler), and his ability to generate extra bounce and swing that make him dangerous. these are the things these new bowlers have to master in order to have a chance.

observer
January 19, 2005, 10:36 PM
A few of you seem to have the bull by the tail here. I will try to clarify a few things.

1. The pace searchh has attracted almost 6000 eager young bowlers who wanted to test their speed. From that group 25 of them recorded a best speed of above 78mph. Those players have been selected for the final to be held at BNS at 2pm on January 26.

2. Some of these bowlers may have suspect actions, but that does not mean they are not correctable with some training. A good number of these players are turning up and bowling in bare feet, so there is still plenty of work to do in refining them in relation to technique, accuracy, consistency and seam/ swing etc. As was stated at the start of the search we are looking for raw speed. In a researchh project i did while at University, the only strong correlation to bowling speed across a variety of strength and speed tests, was throwing speed. Therefore if someone can throw fast, they can probably be taught to bowl fast.

3. The error in the speed device: This is based on the bowlers we have played against over the past 16 months such as Irfan Pathan etc who have then played television matches. I can compare our bowlers such as Rajib and Nazmul etc to them and based on the readings i get for our bowlers at training, would estimate that our device records about Text, not 10mph to their speed. The difference occurs through the different systems being used, number of cameras being used and the parallax error caused by the position and the flight path of the ball. (I am not a physicist, but that is my understanding of it). Even if the error is only 5% we still have 25 bowlers that are 80mph plus, which is promising. There are obviously still many other ingredients to making a good bowler, that may take 5 or 6 years to develop, so don't expect any of these guys to play in the national team in the next two years, that would be a sad indictment on the standard of our current bowlers.

I hope many of you come down to the final and have a look, or encourage your friends who are based in Dhaka to come and have a look and they can report back to you with what they see.

Cheers

say
January 19, 2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification Richard.

Hasib
January 19, 2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
What 7 cities did they hunt in?

Dhaka
Chittagong
Khulna
Rajshahi