PDA

View Full Version : Aftab Ahmed

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2005, 11:13 AM
I know he's been performing really bad lately. In fact, I never supported his inclusion in the team a couple of months ago - i thought he just wasn't ready to be in the international arena yet. True he did well in the U-19 side, but I still thought Nafis was more consistent than him, and that Aftab needed more nurturing before earning a place in the national squad.

However, since then he's played a couple of good innings and recorded the best bowling figures for a bangladeshi in a single ODI, but he's also been very inconsistent.

Having said that, I still think he should be given more opportunities. Dropping him now may destroy his confidence forever. I feel he should be given more chances even if he underperforms. If he still fails to perform, I'd be more than happy to relegate him to domestic cricket until he finds his form back.

What do you guys think?

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2005, 11:16 AM
The problem with BD selection is that you don't have to do anything extraordinary to get in. Most of our batsmen got in simply because they impressed the selectors with a good technique at an early age, but were never really deadly in the domestic leagues. Unless you are destroying opposition bowlers' careers in domestic cricket, you will not be able to do well in the international arena, which is a lot tougher.

However, among the current generation batsmen, I thought Nafis, Rajin and Ash are brilliant examples of people who actually did prove themselves before being included in the national team.

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 4:17 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

mahbubH
January 20, 2005, 11:17 AM
I like to see selectors give him more chanced now than later. He should play all 5 matches even he fails ... IMO he is better batsman than Nafees.

Mr-khan
January 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
Yes! He is better than Nafis.India ar sathe beshirvag match a Aftab valo score korse so 1 ta Odi dekhe akhoni e oke bad dea thik hobe na.Ae series ta dekhae por bola jabe or bepare.

crazyisland
January 20, 2005, 11:28 AM
I didn't get the opportunity to see Aftab's batting this Zim series. So don't know why he is not making runs. But I saw his batting against India. In my opinion he was one of the very few BD batsmen who has technique as good as Laxman. Just because of his talent he could play Indian bowlers comfortably compare to many other top BD batsmen. However looking at his face expression it seems like he is very nervous while batting.

I think he is a very good talent. We should not give up hope on him. He needs some proper guidance and I am very positive Aftab will be a consistent performer. Believe it or not I think he is one of best batsmen we have now.

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
not only this series - i think he should be hung in there at least until the end of the English tour. thats where he scored a couple of runs last year remember?

jeesh
January 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
The only thing he is doing right at the moment is his fielding. I agree with Asif completely. If you look at our history there are so many players who come to the scene with so much talent, underperform then are dropped forever! Shahriar Hossain, Mehrab Hossain, Tushar, are all examples. So dropping him would be a bad idea. I hope they dont select Shahriar Nafees Ahmed soon!

mahbubH
January 20, 2005, 11:31 AM
I hope they dont select Shahriar Nafees Ahmed soon!

I second it.

CTazim
Good Point.. Never saw it from that angle.

amadergaan
for his own sake, aftab shouldn't have been played in thi match..he didn't make any runs in the series and his confidence wasn't high..and you knew that as soon as the gave away 5 dot balls he was going to do something foolish and gave away his wicket...and he did.

AsifTheManRahman
(responding to the jeesh post)

yes, me too. shariar nafees is probably even better and more consistent than aftab and nafis (maybe even ashraful - who knows?;)), and i dont want him in the scene earlier than necessary.

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 4:31 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Mr-khan
January 20, 2005, 11:35 AM
Rajin is playing well as a opener so no chance for Shahriar Nafis. :D

Rubayed
January 20, 2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
I like to see selectors give him more chanced now than later. He should play all 5 matches even he fails ... IMO he is better batsman than Nafees.

I agree with some of u who said that Aftab should be given more chances to perform. He should definitely be played in all the remaining 4 ODIs as he can also contribute with bowling. As far as someone saying that he is a better batsman than Nafis is a complete hogwash. They both r very talented batsman and god knows what made u guys conclude that he is better...its too early to judge any of them. So far they both showed some potential but please stop judging batsmen too early for innings played on subcontinental flat tracks. Wait untill they perform away in difficult condition, that proves how good is their basic batting technique.

Rubayed
January 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by crazyisland
I didn't get the opportunity to see Aftab's batting this Zim series. So don't know why he is not making runs. But I saw his batting against India. In my opinion he was one of the very few BD batsmen who has technique as good as Laxman. Just because of his talent he could play Indian bowlers comfortably compare to many other top BD batsmen. However looking at his face expression it seems like he is very nervous while batting.

I think he is a very good talent. We should not give up hope on him. He needs some proper guidance and I am very positive Aftab will be a consistent performer. Believe it or not I think he is one of best batsmen we have now.

Laxman has a good technique? Lord almighty! what r u talking about? Having a good technique and being a good oneday player is not the same thing my friend! Without any doubt he is an amazing batsman. He is very wristy and depends a lot on his timing but he doesnt even have a solid defence, so how can u conclude that he has a very good technique, whereas in his same team u've got other palyers such as Dravid,Sachin and even Kaif who has got better technique. So get your facts straight my friend!

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd

i haven't watched aftab play, but i don't think it's a good idea to compare him with nafis. they bat at different positions, and i'm pretty sure they have their own different ways of going about doing their job.

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 4:41 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Rubayed
January 20, 2005, 11:41 AM
I'm very much with u,,u got the point asiftheman!!

bondhu25
January 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Aftab should be replaced for 2nd ODI.. Mashrafee/Rafique can easily replaced Aftab. They are both "all rounder" for ODI. Aftab is a burden for the team at this moment. We have to win the ODI series..So no chance for experiments !!!!!... Selectors: are you listening?????

Ahmed_B
January 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
Aftab is a good lad.. he will do just fine..
His problem right now.. is that he doesnt hav the maturity to see through hard situations and usually follows the way the game is going!

If ppl around him r doing fine.. he does fine too.. and the opposite is also true..

Beamer
January 20, 2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bondhu25
Aftab should be replaced for 2nd ODI.. Mashrafee/Rafique can easily replaced Aftab. They are both "all rounder" for ODI. Aftab is a burden for the team at this moment. We have to win the ODI series..So no chance for experiments !!!!!... Selectors: are you listening?????

Mashrafee/rafiq replacing aftab at no.5? a pure batsmans slot?
he is not a burden for the team. no one is at the moment.

I don't think selectors will listen to you. you can try.

Flip Master Mick
January 20, 2005, 06:16 PM
the man only got us the win against india two matches ago... i can't believe you are talking about getting rid of him... he needs to be dropped the test team though... we constantly make the mistake of judging both versions of the game under the same light...

blink
January 21, 2005, 04:43 AM
ah...rubayed, laxman does have solid defence my friend, end of conversation

Ejaj
January 21, 2005, 09:42 AM
Comon guys.. let us give him some more time . He is very young and i think , he really has the technique to really become a great batsman. I think, we should all read coach Mciness interview. I personally. preffer a batsman with good enough technique than someone scoring but doesnt have that. So..to my opinion.. he should be given more chance.. and thought of replacing him should only come when the team gets a better guy.

sadi
January 21, 2005, 11:50 AM
I agree with Ejaj....he is a very good batsman....and should be given enough chance to gather experience and prove his selection.....i dun want another batsman like mehrab disappear because selectors didnt have enough faith.... we need matchwinners like him who can contribute with both bat and ball......

bourny3
January 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
Yep Ejaj is right he needs more time. He is very young. Time will tell if he is good enough.

Haradhon
January 21, 2005, 11:57 PM
Aftab is a better all rounder than Mushfiq Babu if his medium pace works

cisco-guy
January 22, 2005, 12:14 AM
Aftab may eventually turn out to be a good batsman but he failed miserably in all the games against Zimbabwe. I think the BD selectors (specifically Farrukh Ahmed) are clueless. When Rafiq+Mashraffe were dropped due to health issues, they should have chosen a seasoned all-rounder (Like MI Rana) and Hannan Sarker (sound batsman). I also think Talha Zubair would have done a better job than Nazmul Hossain.

Also, I don't understand why they did not bring Tapash earlier to bat. As usual, Tapash was in full command (a running machine) but he did not get the chance to get the job done on time.

cricketfan
January 22, 2005, 12:22 AM
Laxman has a good technique otherwise he could not have scored 4 centuries against Australia( two in tests two in ODIs) in one tour last season.Do not tell me that the Australians can allow a batsman with poor technique to score so heavily against them.

As for Aftab, I think he suffers from the same problem as other BD batsmen viz. resting on his laurels after one good showing. The hunger for continuous success is missing in him as well as in his other batting colleagues.

Edited on, January 22, 2005, 5:24 AM GMT, by cricketfan.

Fazal
January 24, 2005, 11:16 AM
:joy::joy: Aftab for Vice Captain :joy::joy:

Fazal
January 24, 2005, 03:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bashar was particularly worried about Aftab. ‘He is undoubtedly a talented batsman but his inconsistent form is definitely making the team suffer, I hope he will wake up to serve the team,’ concluded Bashar. source (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like, Aftab will be the next scape goat. I know Aftab is not performing well resently. But single-ing out one of the youngest member for the team's overall failure is not called leadership or wisdom by captain Bashar.

Edited on, January 24, 2005, 10:27 PM GMT, by Fazal.

fwullah
January 25, 2005, 03:11 AM
At first, I came to this thread thinking to bash at Aftab (Aftab should be dropped blah blah blah) and now after reading Fazal's post, I'm feeling like bashing Bashar.

Anyway, I do think that our senior batsman are not guiding Aftab in the proper way as he should be guided, especially against Zimbabwe. I used to think the same way about Ashraful - Kapali when they first started their career. Now Ashraful-Kapali doesn't need guidence from other senior players in the middle; but it is Ashraful, Rajin, Bashar who needs to guide same aged, but inexperienced players like Nafees and Aftab.

But how is that possible (possible for Rajin to guide Aftab) when Rajin plays at the top order?

For me, the best solution at the moment, without harming anyone is dropping Aftab Ahmed down to number 6 or 7, (or the other way around - as in to promoting him to number 3).

scorpion32
January 25, 2005, 01:14 PM
Aftab will be scape goat?
that's so funny....
If somebody is considered scapegoat after failing 10 or more outings then what is there to say?
How about keeping Aftab in the team for the next 2 years for all the matches no matter how he performs? Let's gurantee his position ok? Let's just seal it down.
Someday he will play a good innings right? Lets hope for that. Let's make national team a place for Aftab to look for his form.
I never knew there is so much aftab sympathy floating around. God bless Aftab.

Fazal
January 25, 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by scorpion32
Aftab will be scape goat?
that's so funny....

I never knew there is so much aftab sympathy floating around. God bless Aftab.

You are missing the point.

Aftab is not performing now, its plain and simple. If he is dropped I am not going to complain, so many of the fans here.

But as a Captain in press meeting, Bashar single-handedly picked up one of the newest member and say what he said for team’s failure, is not called leadership.

If he needed to be dropped, just drop him, there is no need to portray him as if he is the only reason for our failure.