PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh’s TEST load reduced by ICC?

Ahmed_B
January 21, 2005, 05:33 AM
Take a look at the TEST series schedule for ICC in 2005/2006.. (Bangladesh’s series marked in Blue). The number of TEST series played by BD till June,2005 is fairly good.. but from after June 2005, Bangladesh’s number of TEST series has been significantly reduced. After June 2005, BD is literally playing no tests till February,2006!!

From July’05 to December’06 BD is only playing 4 TEST SERIES in 18 monthes! (marked in blue) whereas Zimbabwe are playing 7 TEST SERIES (Marked green) during the same time/season!!

If there are not good reasons like BD being busy playing other International tournaments, then this looks like an unfair share to BD... coz no doubt currently BD is far more potential than the ZIM side and they need a bit more frequent opportunities to play and improve themselves. Maybe not 8 series per year... but atleast there should be 5/6 TEST series per year for BD... i.e. 3 TEST series every 6 monthes.

ICC Test Series Schedule (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/test/future_tours)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/ahmedb/Cricket/TestSchedule2005_2006.jpg

Edited on, January 21, 2005, 10:36 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Hasib
January 21, 2005, 06:06 AM
We may not even end up playing India... i think we have only one more test series this year...

ibnul
January 21, 2005, 06:40 AM
I have recently read that Srilanka would be visiting Bangladesh next September (2005) which they escaped last November. They went to Pakistan instead. If that happens I think that should be good playing
India,England and Srilanka in 2005 before facing the Ateam in April.

mahbubH
January 21, 2005, 06:47 AM
Maybe not 8 series per year... but atleast there should be 5/6 TEST series per year for BD... i.e. 3 TEST series every 6 monthes.

8 test series in year is too many ... I don't think any team plays 8 test series in a year. I think 3 test series per year with atleast one in abroad would be good for this BD team. This will give 6/8 tests per year and enogh time to play in domestic league.

oracle
January 21, 2005, 09:27 AM
We will play Sri lanka in September- i am about 70 percent sure. First of all- SL has lost income by not playing New Zealand. This will force them to schedule BD this year.

Spitfire_x86
January 21, 2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
8 test series in year is too many ... I don't think any team plays 8 test series in a year. I think 3 test series per year with atleast one in abroad would be good for this BD team. This will give 6/8 tests per year and enogh time to play in domestic league.
Agree with you

allrounder
January 21, 2005, 10:16 AM
I am happy to see that our tour schedule is not packed, this will give the team more time to practise and work on their problems. Also start playing 3/4 day matches at home.

Ahmed_B
January 21, 2005, 10:44 AM
Probably all the talks about BD's test status forced ICC to reduce BD's schedules... even less than ZIMs.

ICC should re-think about it (considering BD's graph of progress) and as I see.. we can have atleast 2 more TEST series between July 2005 to June 2006 (one of which is probaby going to be Srilanka as informed by Oracle Bhai)... that will be 4 Series in 12 monthes.. good I think.

The problem with BD team is that they hardly get any chance to Enhance themselves in Longer Version Cricket if they dont play International TESTs.. coz BD's domestic cricket format doesnt support it yet! So if they reduce TEST schedules.. they will run out of practice of this version. (Unless BD can actually start professional standard 3/4/5 days cricket in domestic version.)

Edited on, January 21, 2005, 3:49 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.

mahbubH
January 21, 2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by oracle
We will play Sri lanka in September- i am about 70 percent sure. First of all- SL has lost income by not playing New Zealand. This will force them to schedule BD this year.

SL probably go to NZ again in April this year for playing only tests (sorry cannot give the link but I read it somewhere).

Ahmed_B
January 21, 2005, 12:20 PM
It seems this Series-Plan is subject to minor changes... still I just made a count frm July’05 to Dec’06 (excluding the tournaments)... the number of Test Series played by each Teams in those 18 months are:

10 –Australia
8 –Sri Lanka
7 –England, India, New Zealand, Zimbabwe
6 –South Africa, Pakistan, West Indies
4 –Bangladesh (will be 5 if SL plays this year, then SL will hav 9 counts)

BD should count atleast 6 in 18 months if not more... that makes one every 3 months – will be good enough. (*after the count... I do realize that 5/6 test series per year, for BD as I wrote in my first post, is too much to ask for..)

mahbubH
January 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
It seems this Series-Plan is subject to minor changes... still I just made a count frm July’05 to Dec’06 (excluding the tournaments)... the number of Test Series played by each Teams in those 18 months are:

10 –Australia
8 –Sri Lanka
7 –England, India, New Zealand, Zimbabwe
6 –South Africa, Pakistan, West Indies
4 –Bangladesh (will be 5 if SL plays this year, then SL will hav 9 counts)

BD should count atleast 6 in 18 months if not more... that makes one every 3 months – will be good enough. (*after the count... I do realize that 5/6 test series per year, for BD as I wrote in my first post, is too much to ask for..)

I think this schedule is a part of ICC's 10-year plan (forget when it started). Probably we are at the middle of that 10.-year plan. As I can remember within this 10 year each team will visit every other nations 2 times (exception Aus-Eng). If ICC will not change anything in next February meeting then at the end of 10 years, Zimbabwe and BD will have approximately same number of tests/series. Most probably BD have less number of tests during this time but it will be adjusted later.

Ahmed_B
January 21, 2005, 01:22 PM
good information sports_fan_bd.. thanx

rafiq
January 21, 2005, 01:27 PM
that's nuts. When do we play West Indies and Pakistan again - I feel those are the 2 test teams Bangladesh should target for their next victory, unfortunately they are not on the schedule!

Kana-Baba
January 21, 2005, 04:43 PM
I AM HAPPY AS THIS WILL GIVE US MORE TIME TO CONCENTRATE ON OUR DOMESTIC CRICKET. AND WE NEED THAT NOW.

Hasib
January 22, 2005, 02:15 AM
Actully.... what is the latest news on developing domestic cricket?

shujan
January 22, 2005, 03:17 AM
As far as I know this series are put together by BCB and counterpart test nations with mutual negotiation. ICC doesn't get involved. Countries get into agreement then notify ICC about their series. ICC doesn't restrict without unusual circumstance like Zimbabwe.

Ahmed_B
January 22, 2005, 10:28 AM
While trying to find out about ICC's 10 year program for TESTs.. I found some bad news for BD.. that this 10 year program is actually being Refabricated! ICC has involved a multinational Organisation for ensureing the earning of maximum revenues... and that Org. seems to hav already suggested to split the 10 year program into two 5 year programs.. and they r re-considering/rescheduilng BD & ZIMs previously planned tours and probably re-programing the 2nd 5 year part of the plan Entirely from the point of view of 'Highest Revenue Earning'!!

This is probably why we r seeing lesser number of TESTs for BD after July'2005!

"New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) For the first time in the history of the International Cricket Council (ICC), a multinational management firm will decide to a large extent how many Test and one-day internationals should be played in a year and how the ICC can earn maximum revenues....
.....And the ICC, after a two-day meeting of its board of directors at Lahore, announced Sunday that the structure of the game would undergo a change, including its 10-year calendar for Test nations that was launched in 2001 but did not prove successful."

"The board considered a number of alternatives to the current five-year calendar (derived after breaking the 10-year calendar into two), including extending the calendar to six years and the option of introducing a modified program for two members," ICC said in a statement from Lahore.

The two members are expected to be Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, who have failed to compete well with stronger Test nations."

Total Report Here (http://in.news.yahoo.com/041019/43/2he50.html) -By Qaiser Mohammad Ali, Indo-Asian News Service

So no mater how much Mr. Ehsan Mani say.. they r really on the backfoot about the 9th & 10th nations in test arena.. as this news is 3 monthes old.. and they hav already taken steps probably immediately after their 'Evaluation-Meeting'.

I wonder how the BCB or eveyone else missed this big issue!!:-/

Edited on, January 22, 2005, 3:36 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.

Ahmed_B
January 22, 2005, 10:57 AM
Some Very 'Indirect' news on this issue in ICC website (http://www.icc-cricket.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/OCT/076113_ICC-MEDIA_17OCT2004.html) : Wht's the secrecy about?:-/

Haradhon
January 22, 2005, 11:55 AM
Playing 8 series every year is too much for BD. However, since BD is showing some progress, this is the time they could have played 2 more series between now and June 2006. Zimbabwe seem to be getting more playing opportunity

Ahmed_B
January 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
It seems the ICC 10 year plan started frm 2001. But by the start of 2004 Complain by the Higher ranked TEST teams about performance of the youngest member of the 10(BD) and/or the financial loss factor for the higher teams and also the adverse situation in ZIMs cricket somewhat provoked ICC to assign this Multinational Company to 'Optimize the Revenues Factor'.. which resulted in:

1. Splitting the 10 year plan in two 5 year plans
2. Re-program the 2nd 5 year plan so as to benifit ICC/The higher ranked teams more than the 1st 5 year!

Source: Indo-Asian News Service (Same as previous) (http://in.news.yahoo.com/041019/43/2he50.html)

Now the question is.. Why does BCB has no clue of this?.. what's their opinion/steps on this??

Even very recently.. just after the 1-0 Test series win.. that Mr. Ali Asgar BOLDLY claimed that ICC has not yet taken any steps against BD's frequent exposure to test cricket! :duh:

Arnab
January 22, 2005, 01:25 PM
What is the big deal? Do you want to lose tests more often?

These breaks might be just what we need to invigorate our fledgling 1st class infrastructure.

shujan
January 22, 2005, 01:34 PM
Tilre tal banaia lav asse?;)

sham1980
January 22, 2005, 03:43 PM
This is not good just as we were looking good, I wanna see us playing regular cricket even if it means playing A sides.

Dhakablues
January 22, 2005, 05:57 PM
An article that is.,, well, surprising from Indian side:

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=63236

Arnab
January 22, 2005, 06:36 PM
It was written by Trevor Chesterfield, from New Zealand.

Ahmed_B
January 23, 2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dhakablues
An article that is.,, well, surprising from Indian side:
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=63236
Good read.. thanx.

An interesting part that caught my eye:
about the 2 tier talk:
"If the ICC accede to that idea, who will end up where? There are 10 Test nations and to dilute the system by introducing a two-tiered system has its dangers. Where would West Indies and South Africa, teams low in rankings, fit in? And would there be a promotion/relegation plan? Just where do we go with this: a top six and a bottom four?"

this is always gonna be a dilemma... something enjoyable frm the point of a BD or ZIM fan! :D