PDA

View Full Version : Sena threatens to disrupt Indo-Pak ODI in Delhi

mahbubH
January 21, 2005, 12:02 PM
New Delhi, January 21

Delhi Shiv Sena on Thursday threatened to disrupt the proposed One-Day International cricket match between India and Pakistan at the Ferozeshah Kotla "at any cost".

It says it would be a "deception" to have sporting links with Islamabad till the time it puts an end to terrorist activities in the country.

Asserting that the people of India will not accept such matches in the name of creating goodwill in the midst of bloodletting on the country's borders, Sena's Delhi unit president Jai Bhagwan Goyal said in a statement that "we will not allow the one day cricket match in Delhi at any cost".

Sena activists had dug the pitch at the Ferozeshah Kotla ground in the capital on January 6, 1999 ahead of a similar match when Pakistan toured India last time.

Source (http://htcricket.com/htcricket/14_1208781.htm)

Tintin
January 21, 2005, 12:05 PM
Great :mad:

AsifTheManRahman
January 21, 2005, 12:11 PM
u think we can tour india instead of pakistan during that time? huh huh? :P

Tintin
January 21, 2005, 12:13 PM
I think this is also a lot of smoke and no fire. They are just too desperate to see their names in the headlines.

Ameer
January 21, 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tintin
I think this is also a lot of smoke and no fire. They are just too desperate to see their names in the headlines.
I bet people were saying this before Pakistan toured in 99... and then the pitches were dug up. Seriously, India better do something about these extremists.

Spitfire_x86
January 21, 2005, 02:02 PM
:mad: :E

Tehsin
January 21, 2005, 11:25 PM
is this getting coverage in Cricinfo and the news medias ? When some morons (excuse me) in BD made the same threats right before the India tour of BD, I remember BD getting lot of front page coverage. ;).

These fools (ind/bd/pak or any other country for tha matter) will never learn and the other fools will always abuse their media priviliges to ......

cricketfan
January 22, 2005, 03:12 AM
Pakistan are sending their security experts to scrutinise the playgrounds just as Indian security team went to Pakistan. In any case the playing venues will need to receive the approval of the Government.

To create trouble is the livelihood of some people and they too have to make a living.

Sultan
January 23, 2005, 03:28 PM
This should be interesting to follow.
Lets see if india really is secular or not.

Old habits die hard.......what else can be said of the bunch of hooligans who make up most of the Shiv Sena

DJ Sahastra
January 23, 2005, 04:27 PM
"Lets see if india really is secular or not. "

And pray enlighten me on what has it got to do with Secularism per se.

Edited on, January 23, 2005, 9:29 PM GMT, by DJ Sahastra.

AGC
January 23, 2005, 04:44 PM
Agree with DJ here. Nothing to do with secularism.

Sultan
January 23, 2005, 09:04 PM
Pakistanis = Muslims, coming from Pakistan = Muslim State, Sena = Hindu, Hindu + Muslim = Dislike

DJ Sahastra
January 23, 2005, 09:19 PM
Sultan,

It's a good minset that you have there.

Sena doesn't threaten to disrupt games against Pakistan because Pakisan is an Islamic state. The dislike against Pakistan in India is not fuelled by any "Pakistan = Muslim etc.", but because in India, Pakistan is viewed as a state that sponsors terrorism against India.

UAE, Qatar, Egypt, Malaysia and many more countries are "Muslim States" and have been more than welcome to play in India in different sports categories.

The only part of your statement that's true is "Pakistan = Muslim state".

cricketfan
January 24, 2005, 07:14 AM
It is the Pakistani rulers ( military) who are viewed as sponsor of cross border terrorism against India. Of course there are some who confuse Pakistan government with Pakistan. I am sure ordinary Indians and Pakistanis have no animosity towards each other, not after the heartwarming welcome that Indians received in Pakistan last year. Let us not try to muddy the waters unnecessarily.

Shivsena is not a terrorist organisation but an organisation that resorts to hooliganism and it can be contained by suitable security arrangement. It raises emotive issues to remain in news and Pakistan related issue are their favourite. In the recent Parliamentary as well as assembly election, Shivsena lost, which shows that they do not enjoy much public sympathy.

Fazal
January 24, 2005, 11:46 AM
>> Shivsena is not a terrorist organisation

Hmmm and how about the so called 'freedom fighters’ fighting for their independence in Kashmir? oh... they are the terrorist? Oh I see...

The way people/state uses/mis-uses these terms, I interpret as the same. Its all depends which side of the fence you are in.

al
January 24, 2005, 12:54 PM
>> Shivsena is not a terrorist organisation
oh!!!! no. Shiv-sena not a terrorist org???. The org who was responsible of thousands of deaths mostly people of different faith. I donot know what to say. I came accross this bbc report India train fire 'not mob attack'.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4180885.stm